best horror fps game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kokororo09 (158 posts) -

What best horror fps PC game that can really make you shake?

Left 4 dead is for babies. ^^

#3 Posted by adamosmaki (10563 posts) -

kokororo09
Penubra seriies. I dare you to play at night with lights closed. Although the only thing that has in common with most fps is the view prespective and is more a story driven adventure game than fps
#4 Posted by trijity (810 posts) -

[QUOTE="kokororo09"]

adamosmaki

Penubra seriies. I dare you to play at night with lights closed. Although the only thing that has in common with most fps is the view prespective and is more a story driven adventure game than fps

I dunno, Im playing Overture right now and have almost completed it, not too many scare factors so far. Might be a spoiler for some but so far in Overture it isn't too scary when I know there are VERY few enemy types to worry about, especially knowing they are EASILY killed if I care to do so. Hoping Black Plague will creep me out more, and from what I see, it looks like it will.

#5 Posted by JN_Fenrir (1551 posts) -

Clive Barker's Undying. It's right up there with Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame for scares in my book.

I'm curious to see what others will say though.

#6 Posted by G-Lord (2141 posts) -

I liked the first levels of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

#7 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
The first FEAR and Dead Space are pretty good
#8 Posted by ThaLioN987 (25 posts) -
you could play, half life series (but maybe not scary enough)
#9 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Undying is the scariest game I've ever played.

#10 Posted by dakan45 (18819 posts) -
sillent hill 2, 3 ,4 and 5 Penumbra series Cold fear call of cathulu condemned That stuff was scary.
#11 Posted by ThaLioN987 (25 posts) -
You could also play metro 2033 i think thats a fps to.
#12 Posted by z8Jdt (25 posts) -
I was on the edge of my seat for much of Doom 3 because it's claustrophobic and there's very little light. Even with the flashlight mod that I used, it's still VERY dark. Doom 3 looks nice and since it's been around for a few years now, it should run on a wide range of hardware.
#13 Posted by sn4k3_64 (1134 posts) -

Well the scariest game I ever played was the first silent hill, i remember that scared the cr4p out of me, so im guessing the new ones will be just as scary :P

#14 Posted by Treflis (13342 posts) -
Clive Barkers Undying Condemned: Criminal Origins F.E.A.R. Penumbra Call of Cthulhu Doom 3 In my opinion
#15 Posted by kokororo09 (158 posts) -
[QUOTE="Treflis"]Clive Barkers Undying Condemned: Criminal Origins F.E.A.R. Penumbra Call of Cthulhu Doom 3 In my opinion

Thanks, Will try all of those.
#16 Posted by GreyViper (122 posts) -
Clive Barkers Undying definitely, Id like also add Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi to list. Since the game really was scary and you couldn't expect same results every time, due map changing randomly at every new game(al la Diablo). Only downside horrific controls, basically killed the game. Then there is the original AvP from Rebelion still a classic I might add.
#17 Posted by dakan45 (18819 posts) -
Gotta find Nosefartu one day, i heard good things abou it.
#18 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (7431 posts) -

So far, there has been alot of good picks :P but I am slightly disturbed about the lack of System shock 2 ;)

Granted it is more of a first person role playing survival game...

I cant really think of any other game that is first person and horror, then the ones mentioned...

#19 Posted by dakan45 (18819 posts) -

So far, there has been alot of good picks :P but I am slightly disturbed about the lack of System shock 2 ;)

I cant really think of any other game that is first person and horror, then the ones mentioned...

Maddie_Larkin
Honestly the sound in that game scares me till this very day. The "many" voices you hear the zombies, the spiders and most importantly i the spacemonkeys are scary as hell when you hear them screaming.
#20 Posted by VICOUS_VERN (50 posts) -

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series; especially the first scared me from time to time at night when you have stuff attacking you.

#21 Posted by Eneru112 (1165 posts) -

Metro 2033

#22 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (7431 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

dakan45

Honestly the sound in that game scares me till this very day. The "many" voices you hear the zombies, the spiders and most importantly i the spacemonkeys are scary as hell when you hear them screaming.

No kiddin :P I just started playing it again, The graphics are dated, controles were never good, but time has not been kind to those either.

But the sound, I was shocked about how well the sound holds up, both in quality, and execution, I dont know who were in charge of sound back then, but Ive never playied a game where so many things just sounds so wrong... And the context they appear in, does not help...

Hiding in a morgue, behind someone who hanged himself, and listening to a Hybrid scearching for you while he screams "Kill me" " Run Away" Showing that the poor human still has a working brain, but nolonger is in control of his motor funktions :\ Creepy as heck... And those Midwifes still creep me out.

Even the Darn Service bots, that stagger around looking for you, with thier kind robotic voice "The will of the many require your imminent destruction"

On top of that is SHODAN, still my all time favorite Videogame Character, you can hear the loathing, and hatred in her cold metallic artificial voice, as she helps you along... 2 allys who is only allys because everything is out to kill them. That game is soo good :P

#23 Posted by dakan45 (18819 posts) -
Now if only someone made a system shock 3. Sadly bioshock did not do it for me. But dead space got somewhat closer.
#24 Posted by JackBurton (3802 posts) -

System Shock 2
Clive Barker's Undying
F.E.A.R.

#25 Posted by jvmonster (120 posts) -

Man Hunt ftw. Anyone agree ? :twisted:

#27 Posted by Ikavnieks (2848 posts) -
I'm playing through FEAR 2 right now, it's a good horror/ action game. Also, I recommend FEAR 1/ Condemned series.
#28 Posted by luke_717 (126 posts) -

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and that is about it.

#29 Posted by Zillaschool (1608 posts) -
Undying and Condemned.
#30 Posted by dakan45 (18819 posts) -

Man Hunt ftw. Anyone agree ? :twisted:

jvmonster
Yeah it had a scary element especially the heartbeat you could hear really immerse you in the game and therefore scare you.
#31 Posted by Suffca (666 posts) -

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="kokororo09"]

trijity

I dunno, Im playing Overture right now and have almost completed it, not too many scare factors so far. Might be a spoiler for some but so far in Overture it isn't too scary when I know there are VERY few enemy types to worry about, especially knowing they are EASILY killed if I care to do so. Hoping Black Plague will creep me out more, and from what I see, it looks like it will.

That is why you don't kill them. Adds more tension.

Black Plague is better IMO anyways.

#32 Posted by kokororo09 (158 posts) -
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I hope they scare the hell out of me. ^^
#33 Posted by Jordo321 (884 posts) -
I'm kind of envious of you all, I played through every single game in this thread, and wasn't scared by any of them. I was super into the story of Penumbra, but was I ever even mildly scared? Nope. When I was younger SH2 was actually pretty creepy, but like Penumbra, I just got into the story and thought everything was cool, instead of being scary. The only games lately that have got me spooked is Fear 2, only because of the cheap scares. I find the only way I can get spooked is when playing games of the current generation, because if I go back, the atmosphere is pretty dead compared to what I have witnessed. Ex. I'm playing FEAR 1 right now, after playing FEAR 2. Fear 1 is a good looking game, but the atmosphere isn't creepy for me in the slightest. Feels like I'm playing half life in the dark.
#34 Posted by Robbler (616 posts) -

G-Lord
I second this. This is one of the best games no one ever played.
#35 Posted by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -
[QUOTE="G-Lord"]

Robbler

Yea it was a pretty good game.
#36 Posted by mo0ksi (12337 posts) -
System Shock 2
#37 Posted by flukki (69 posts) -

[QUOTE="G-Lord"]

Robbler

Here, I played it! :P

@Threadstarter: If you got a good pc, try Cryostasis! It's very unsettling and although it's no Space SciFi, the atmosphere is at the level of gems like SS2!

Very good, very underrated game!