Best HDTV's for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by StaySteadeh (25 posts) -
Hi, I am looking for a new HDTV used mainly for gaming with xbox, but I will also be watching tv shows, movies, and other related things. I'm using a small Insignia 22in HDTV that is 1080i and has a 60hz refresh rate. I am really looking for a higher quality tv, but I have a low budget. My family has little money and I'm only 14, so I cant go very far past, my current price range. I've been saving up money, and am looking at about a 200-400 dollar price range. I am really looking for a 1080p 120hz tv with a 30-40 in range. I haven't bought many tvs so I don't know much about LED-lit or plasma tvs. I'd really like to know what kind of tvs are best for the kinds of activities I'm looking at. I play games such as GTA 4, Battlefield, and Assassins Creed, which can have some issues with lag on counsels. I have come to the realization that I don't have enough money for a brand new tv with the attributes I'm looking for, and i have been looking for a used or refurbished tv on eBay and amazon. I'm a little skeptical about buying off eBay, so if you know about any sites that sell refurbished items, then Id like to know. If you could help Id be very thankful.
#2 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

In that price range you can afford a vizio or non name brand.  I've heard vizio is pretty awesome quality for the dirt cheap price.

#3 Posted by chris24l (1288 posts) -
Check newegg.com for refurb TV. Or new.
#4 Posted by rogelio22 (2477 posts) -

there is no true 120hz hdtv! (only pc monitors support such refresh rates) and if youre gaming on ps3/360 only! save yourself some money and get a 720p set. you can find alotve tvs that are 40" if you stick with 720p/60hz. 99% of 360/ps3 games are only 720p native

#5 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

If you're ok with 720p you have a lot of options from good brands for $300-$400

#7 Posted by MuD3 (2075 posts) -

In that price range you can afford a vizio or non name brand.  I've heard vizio is pretty awesome quality for the dirt cheap price.

nooblet69

i've had some decent experience with vizio... the first hdtv i got was a $500 32" vizio plasma. Got it i've had it for about 6 years and it has been thru two moves. I've got it set up in out bedroom now and it's still going like a champ. although i did have to replace a few busted capacitors... but doing it myself it was less than a 10 dollar fix.

my daughter has a 19" vizio lcd in her room, it's also been fine. however, we did have a 42" vizo LCD for a year and then it developed some kind of perminant cloud on the screen... sold it to a friend who didn't care about the cloud.

currently we have a 50" samsung plasma about 3 years old that has developed 4 or 5 horizontal black lines that seem to be multiplying. thinking about replacing it with a vizio led honestly... but can't decide on that or the st50. of course everyone will tell me st50 but i'm just not sure I wan't plasma again. the ir (little as it may be) buzzing and graininess is turning me off. not a lot one the led front sounds that promising either though.

#8 Posted by monson21502 (8223 posts) -

alot of good tvs for 400 bucks. LG has a nice one on amazon. has passive 3d and has built in wifi and 120hz. there is also a vizio on there for a little more. it has the same features as the lg 1. i have the 42` version of the vizio in my bedroom i bought last year for 550. i like it better then the 240 hz samsung i bought 3 years ago lol.

#9 Posted by sukraj (27305 posts) -

samsung and lg do some low budget tv's

#10 Posted by maxpoweraff (25 posts) -
I have a 50inch Vizio that I play my xbox on. For the money the TV is great. Some people say they are crap TV's but I have 3 in my house and they all work awesome. Check this one out http://www.tvrevs.com/vizio-e3d470vx-47-inch-class-theater-3d-lcd-hdtv-with-internet-apps-3/ Its right in your price range and looks like an awesome TV.
#11 Posted by vidkuntorvald (25 posts) -
I've been using the Sony Bravia series TV for years now. I haven't had any complaints with my gaming on them. Clear picture and vibrant colors. ----------------------------------------------- HTPC Discussion
#12 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8202 posts) -

I think the sony ps3 displays maybe 120hz, I think they are a hair bigger than yours. Its going for cheap now.

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
#13 Posted by CaptainGamespot (616 posts) -

hdtv? make sure to get blu-ray player for it.

also 1080p is a must in 2013, do no less than 120hz, go for plasma or 240hz lcd/led.

#14 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

hdtv? make sure to get blu-ray player for it.

also 1080p is a must in 2013, do no less than 120hz, go for plasma or 240hz lcd/led.

CaptainGamespot
Interpolation just adds input lag though...