Best games to play without sound?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

The topic title seems pretty self-explanatory, but I'm looking for something specific here. I'm looking for good games that I can play while hanging out with my friend on Skype; games which don't require sound to be played effectively, or with great text writing.

Something slower-paced would be ideal. Puzzle games are obviously perfect for the task, so no need to mention any of those. I suppose I'm primarily looking for games in the RPG and adventure genres, but I'm open to pretty much anything else except strategy - unless it's turn-based or so stupid-easy that even a strategy-game-impaired nincompoop like myself can be great at it.

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
RTS you're good at.
porlino87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 porlino87
Member since 2011 • 35 Posts

the sims

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Civilization is more than playable without sound.

EDIT: oh, just read the OP properly. Well, it's turn-based, but it's a pretty deep game. I suppose any sort of slow paced puzzle game would work.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

This seems like a really stupid question.

DeViLzzz
Reading comprehension should help with that. Also, shut up. @broken_bass_bin: Civilization sounds good to me, but I've never played any of them. Would you recommend Civ5 to a greenie like me, or is there a better one to start with? Any RPG recommendations? Thanks. :)
Kevz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kevz0
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

[QUOTE="DeViLzzz"]

This seems like a really stupid question.

JN_Fenrir

Reading comprehension should help with that. Also, shut up. @broken_bass_bin: Civilization sounds good to me, but I've never played any of them. Would you recommend Civ5 to a greenie like me, or is there a better one to start with? Any RPG recommendations? Thanks. :)

Civ5 is very streamlined but I still think that you should play Civ4 because it´s (imo) the best Civilization and it´s not like you have to read a 200 page book to understand how to play it.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#9 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
I was gonna say minecraft, but it looks like you're already playing it :P. Id say Anno 1404 & Tropico 3, though you'll be missing out of their fantastic original score.
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

When I subscribe to WoW, I usually play without the game sound on. I either listen to podcasts or play my own music typically.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

@broken_bass_bin: Civilization sounds good to me, but I've never played any of them. Would you recommend Civ5 to a greenie like me, or is there a better one to start with? Any RPG recommendations? Thanks. :)JN_Fenrir

Of all the Civilization games, Civ 5 is by far the most accessible to new players. It has very good tutorials, and the interface is rather straightforward (at least, compared to other Civ games).

In my own personal opinion, Civ 4 is the better game. It's just sadly not as accessible to newbies as Civ 5 is. In any case, Civ 5 is a fantastic game which comes strongly recommended.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Counter-Strike is my favorite game to play without sound, but it doesn't really fit what you want.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

When I subscribe to WoW, I usually play without the game sound on. I either listen to podcasts or play my own music typically.

mkaliaz
yeah i rarely listen to wow sound
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

Counter-Strike is my favorite game to play without sound, but it doesn't really fit what you want.KHAndAnime

Its been awhile since I played CS, but doesn't this put you at a big disadvantage?

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Counter-Strike is my favorite game to play without sound, but it doesn't really fit what you want.mkaliaz

Its been awhile since I played CS, but doesn't this put you at a big disadvantage?

huge imo. so many people are playing with surround sound :(
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Most rts and sport games

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="mkaliaz"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Counter-Strike is my favorite game to play without sound, but it doesn't really fit what you want.yellosnolvr

huge imo. so many people are playing with surround sound :(

Barely a disadvantage at all. Just pretend there's going to be an enemy around every corner, and learn to walk when there's no teammates around. CS:S pubbing is about out-aiming out opponents. Don't need sound to do that. :)