Best free-to-play MMO?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I've never played an MMO before, mainly because I live in a third world country and the internet speeds here are pathetic. Last week, I got a reasonably good internet connection by my country's standards, so would like to start playing an MMO. I can't go for any paid ones because they don't accept my country's currency, and I don't have an international credit card to pay in dollars, pounds or euros. So I just wanted to know which is the best free-to-play MMO to start with, and also one in which even non-paying players too have a realistic chance of progressing in the game. Please help me out with this. Thank you.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

Tera or Rift would be my first 2 completely free choices, however, if you can buy Guild Wars 2 I would go with it.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Neverwinter is new an f2p..Its not bad an has player made areas..Some of it was quit interesting when i played i just get bored these days of mmorpgs..

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funkyzoom

Tera or Rift would be my first 2 completely free choices, however, if you can buy Guild Wars 2 I would go with it.

Xeogua

Thanks. I'll try out both. And its impossible for me to buy Guild Wars 2 because I don't have an international credit card, and they don't support payments with my country';s currency.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funkyzoom

Neverwinter is new an f2p..Its not bad an has player made areas..Some of it was quit interesting when i played i just get bored these days of mmorpgs..

Gladestone1

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts
I will also suggest Neverwinter, its a solid free to play MMO and a good game for beginners. I have also heard some good things about DCUO, but I have not played it yet.
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

I am going to go with the very unpopular opinion of Dungeons and Dragons Online. Or Lord of the Rings Online. Had so much fun with both of them, was actually a paid subscriber to DDO for a very long time.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

lotro actually isnt that bad, shame so much content is locked behind pay walls

SirStabward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SirStabward
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
F2P should burn in hell for what its done to the MMO genre
xiayan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 xiayan
Member since 2007 • 835 Posts
Rift
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Aw Man, too bad you can't get yourself Guild Wars 2 :(

Apart from the initial buying price, afterwards it would be no doubt the best F2P out there right now where you could progress and have awesome fun for months without paying anything else anymore.

Not even big Online Stores like Amazon etc. offer an option for your currency? :/

Just out of curiosity, which country and which currency is it?

Mentholum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mentholum
Member since 2013 • 47 Posts
Glad someone mentioning Lord of the rings online, its actually a really fun game.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funkyzoom

Aw Man, too bad you can't get yourself Guild Wars 2 :(

Apart from the initial buying price, afterwards it would be no doubt the best F2P out there right now where you could progress and have awesome fun for months without paying anything else anymore.

Not even big Online Stores like Amazon etc. offer an option for your currency? :/

Just out of curiosity, which country and which currency is it?

Justforvisit

Amazon isn't even there in my country. It does ship products to my country, but doesn't offer an option to pay with my country's currency. Since you asked, my country is India and the currency is rupee.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funkyzoom

I am going to go with the very unpopular opinion of Dungeons and Dragons Online. Or Lord of the Rings Online. Had so much fun with both of them, was actually a paid subscriber to DDO for a very long time.

Schreek

I guess I'll try out Lord of the Rings online.

Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

rift,its not even a contest.there is no reason to play any other f2p mmo.lotro has half of its content locked by turbine points(and the turbine points that you can get in game are laughable) and tera is amazigly boring,empty and repetitive

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funkyzoom

rift,its not even a contest.there is no reason to play any other f2p mmo.lotro has half of its content locked by turbine points(and the turbine points that you can get in game are laughable) and tera is amazigly boring,empty and repetitive

Hate_Squad

Thank you, I'll try out Rift tonight!

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Rift is by far the most refined and content rich f2p MMO. I've been playing since beta 2. Since it's gone free-to-play the servers have really filled up and there are tons of players in the world. Great MMO.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I agree with Rift, just stay away from the crappy unbalanced pvp.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

vfibsux
unbalanced? I guess I do crap tons of damage as a dps mage.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

RIFT, it's the best free MMO out there imo.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#21 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I'm currently giving Neverwinter a bit of time. It just makes me appreciate WoW even more every time I try another MMO. One observation I've made about MMOs these days is their game world. Developers seem to think having a city hub where you'll find a mass of players makes for a good MMO environment. It makes me appreciate WoW's environment and makes me wonder why, eight or nine years later developers still can't build expansive, open, sandbox areas in which everyone has access to. Instead in games like Neverwinter you have area after area strung together. I can't define "massively multiplayer" as a game that's only taste of massive is its city hub. I can name a bunch of MMOs that do the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that they seem to be trying to build an MMO around single player design mechanics and it just fails.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Rift is great, Tera Online is all right.

Guild Wars 2 is a one time payment, there is no subscription and I consider it better than both and even WoW. 

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vfibsux
[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

ferrari2001
unbalanced? I guess I do crap tons of damage as a dps mage.

I have every class in end game so it is not about that. Unbalanced because the warfronts are one sided 80% of the time and there is no competition. Trion cannot match teams to save their lives.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vfibsux

I'm currently giving Neverwinter a bit of time. It just makes me appreciate WoW even more every time I try another MMO. One observation I've made about MMOs these days is their game world. Developers seem to think having a city hub where you'll find a mass of players makes for a good MMO environment. It makes me appreciate WoW's environment and makes me wonder why, eight or nine years later developers still can't build expansive, open, sandbox areas in which everyone has access to. Instead in games like Neverwinter you have area after area strung together. I can't define "massively multiplayer" as a game that's only taste of massive is its city hub. I can name a bunch of MMOs that do the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that they seem to be trying to build an MMO around single player design mechanics and it just fails.

-Unreal-
Get a new schtick dude.
Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

-Unreal-

You are worse kind of troll here, Blizzard funboy. Be a gamer, dont be a slave of commerciality.

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts

-Unreal-
i bet blizzard makes you swallow
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

It's his opinion and it has merit, I don't play WoW but a lot of mmo's partition players away from each other to the point that it's like playing a single player game with multiplayer town hubs. WoW is still number 1 for a reason, nothing matches it's production values and ease of access. I did play WoW when it came out and it managed to have the sense of wonder that draws you in that other mmo's just simply don't, you want to explore the map, you want to see the dungeons (atleast for the first time experiencing it) as where most mmo's are just go to x, find y and you stare at the minimap only caring about the end goal of aquiring xp or items. WoW managed, if for only an instant, to create an experience that players want to play instead of creating an end point that players want to get to. 

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Altho not really an MMO, it still takes my time away the same :P Path of Exile.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vfibsux

It's his opinion and it has merit, I don't play WoW but a lot of mmo's partition players away from each other to the point that it's like playing a single player game with multiplayer town hubs. WoW is still number 1 for a reason, nothing matches it's production values and ease of access. I did play WoW when it came out and it managed to have the sense of wonder that draws you in that other mmo's just simply don't, you want to explore the map, you want to see the dungeons (atleast for the first time experiencing it) as where most mmo's are just go to x, find y and you stare at the minimap only caring about the end goal of aquiring xp or items. WoW managed, if for only an instant, to create an experience that players want to play instead of creating an end point that players want to get to. 

robokill
I will respond to you on this because you are not Unreal. WoW is a huge, expansive and EMPTY world. While I agree I hate the new linear crap in MMO's like NWO, what good are these huge open worlds if they are empty and lifeless? The hub thing is a non-issue. What did they do in WoW? Players created their own hub, last time I played every capital city was a ghost town and everyone congregated in Orgrimmar. So instead of having a hub forced on them they were forced to choose a hub. And WoW has always been about the end game, it is not about the journey. The only MMO that has been about the journey lately is GW2, because leveling is actually fun in that game, exploration is rewarded both visually and materially, and the end game truly is the end for the most part.
RobbHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RobbHunter
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
Like some others here, I'd give a vote to Neverwinter -- I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Avatar image for GuillotineDream
GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GuillotineDream
Member since 2012 • 48 Posts
is the star wars f2p any good?
Avatar image for GuillotineDream
GuillotineDream