Best free space combat sims?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

Does anyone know of any good free space combat/trading sims with huge worlds and decent graphics? Preferably singleplayer and not MMO.

I've been meaning to download the trial of Evochron Legends, but I'm curious to see if anyone knows of anything with better graphics.

I had a look at the X2 and X3 and while they look decent in the screenshots the textures looks painfully low resolution close up.

So anyone know of any free ones with good graphics?

bigfootstew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bigfootstew
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Freespace 2 is the greatest space combat sim of all time. It's also easily one of the top 5 or top 10 greatest games of all time.

It has an epic storyline with great voice acting, and absolutely massive battles with gigantic capital ships. The graphics also hold up, even though it came out in 1999 because they were years ahead of their time.

If you haven't played it, you need to drop everything and get a copy. It's that good.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts

the classics of all time are the wing commander games. i have the whole collection. and there is a new one called dark star one which is really good imo. it is not free but only costs $10.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
I would like to point out that Freespace 2 is free because of the open source project I believe. Basicly it's freespace 2 with up-to-date graphics
Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Rougehunter
Member since 2004 • 5873 Posts

the classics of all time are the wing commander games. i have the whole collection. and there is a new one called dark star one which is really good imo. it is not free but only costs $10.

skyyfox1

Imo Freelancer is a much better game then dark star one. The areas have much more diversity, better story, better voice acting, more balanced gameplay (turrets are too overpowered), and a better sense of exploration.

EDIT: Freespace 2 is also a masterpiece that anyone with a interest in space combat needs to try.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

Hmm, alright I'll give Freespace 2 a try later. Thanks guys!

Still open for suggestions on any other free, open world space combat/trading sims with good graphics though!

bigfootstew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigfootstew
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Still open for suggestions on any other free, open world space combat/trading sims with good graphics though!

pinneyapple

When you're finished with it go back and play Freespace: The Great War. It makes some aspects of the storyline more clear. It's also good, but not on the same level as FS2.

FS1 has a very suspenseful ending though, which I won't spoil for you.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts

[QUOTE="pinneyapple"]

bigfootstew

When you're finished with it go back and play Freespace: The Great War. It makes some aspects of the storyline more clear. It's also good, but not on the same level as FS2.

FS1 has a very suspenseful ending though, which I won't spoil for you.

if you get the freespace 2 open source project they have the first one as a mod