Behaviour on MMORPG's.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 NinthFall
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts
Hello there. I've come to realize that back in 2005 the community in mmorpg's was more mature, players were more friendly and mostly, spoke fluent english. Today I seem to find a lot, and I mean a lot of immature, childish troublemakers whose only mission seems to be to make others gaming worse by any means necessary. I see a lot of cheating, I see a lot of immature, low "school teasing" type of behaviour. It just makes me wonder, what went wrong? What happened to everyone having a blast together?
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Maybe the more mature ones are just bored of the genre's lack of progress, and have left. I know that I did.

Currently everyone's putting in these stupid bg/raid/dungeon finders, it's convineint, but at the cost of the server's community. Huge faction imbalances, like in WoW where servers can be 10:1 or worse.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

It's because MMO's have become glorified chat rooms. There's typically no gameplay to be had so people have no out-let and get bored and start shouting abuse.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#4 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I 100% agree, MMO communities global chats have turned into attentionwhorefests to see who can be the rudest. The best thing you can do is join a mature guild that does not tolerate idiots and turn off global. You pretty much create your own community and ignore all others.

Warcraft is what happened to this genre. It revolutionized it alright, for the worse. Daoc, EQ, UO, AO, Asheron's all had great communities and were not the easymode MMOs Warcraft brought about with people standing around with question marks over their head and arrows leading you to the quest goal and little to no penalty for death. They also were not soloable for the most part unless you want to grind triple the time people in groups took. Grouping was heavily rewarded which helps build community. 

Tera is the new cesspool since it went f2p, if you try it turn off area and global chats. Worst trolls I have seen in an MMO to date. 

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vfibsux

It's because MMO's have become glorified chat rooms. There's typically no gameplay at end game so people have no out-let in the game and get bored and start shouting abuse.

ShimmerMan
I agree with your first statement, but the second one is absurd. Basically you are saying if there was better content these juvenile arsehats that are plaguing MMOs would be perfectly behaved? Come on dude, you can't seriously believe it is the lack of content causing people to be jerks. MMOs are only representative of the internet community, which in 2013 is pathetic. Trolling is rampant and every message board seems to be a contest to see who can be the most rude. If content has anything to do with it I say it is because the games are too easy with no challenge and they invite these drooling morons to come play. But saying lack of endgame content is turning good people into bad people is absurd.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I don't play MMO's so i wouldn't know, but i have heard from mates that play some of these big MMO titles say some have a decent community and respect each other somewhat.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

[QUOTE="ShimmerMan"]

It's because MMO's have become glorified chat rooms. There's typically no gameplay at end game so people have no out-let in the game and get bored and start shouting abuse.

vfibsux

I agree with your first statement, but the second one is absurd. Basically you are saying if there was better content these juvenile arsehats that are plaguing MMOs would be perfectly behaved?

Yeah they get bored and start bickering. It's human nature and these games are boring with little gameplay so what else are they going to do but use the chat functionality to entertain themselves.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

MMORPGs used to be much smaller, much more niche than they are now. Then WoW happened, and the casuals flooded in.

F2P gamea are also to blame, many people from more poor countries flock to these games and their behaviour and english are really bad. I don't want to sound racist, but everyone knows which south american country I'm reffering to.

I'm just glad I'm escaping all this by playing a very niche mmorpg on a private server with a constant community that will move together, allies and enemies, to same one if the current server fails.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NinthFall
I'm gonna bump this thread up. I've recently started playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and I've come to realize that this problem does not only occure in mmorpg's. People in the game I play basicly insult each other constatly and troll by "team killing" as much as they please. Such trolls usually exist on servers where only admins can kick players, so they can troll basicly as much as they please when no admin is online. I just don't get it. Why no respect? Wouldn't it be funnier for everyone to play if we all respected each other? I understand if there's a troll once a while, who likes to go rampage and test how it goes, but it seems to me like trolls have formed a community of their own.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I'm gonna bump this thread up. I've recently started playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and I've come to realize that this problem does not only occure in mmorpg's. People in the game I play basicly insult each other constatly and troll by "team killing" as much as they please. Such trolls usually exist on servers where only admins can kick players, so they can troll basicly as much as they please when no admin is online. I just don't get it. Why no respect? Wouldn't it be funnier for everyone to play if we all respected each other? I understand if there's a troll once a while, who likes to go rampage and test how it goes, but it seems to me like trolls have formed a community of their own. NinthFall
this is because the maturity rate for people has gone down meaning it takes longer for them to "grow up" and the age of the average gamer has also gone up. meaning their older but still immature

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
I'm gonna bump this thread up. I've recently started playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and I've come to realize that this problem does not only occure in mmorpg's. People in the game I play basicly insult each other constatly and troll by "team killing" as much as they please. Such trolls usually exist on servers where only admins can kick players, so they can troll basicly as much as they please when no admin is online. I just don't get it. Why no respect? Wouldn't it be funnier for everyone to play if we all respected each other? I understand if there's a troll once a while, who likes to go rampage and test how it goes, but it seems to me like trolls have formed a community of their own. NinthFall
Welcome to the online gaming! No matter what genre you play, you are going to run into trolls or asshats. It's just the nature of the beast now. Best thing you can do is try and find a server that has the least idiots. It's about all you can do. I don't play MMO's, but the online shooters I do play, I always stick to the same servers that I have found through trial and error to be the most mature acting. Jerks still show up on occasion, but it seems to be less frequent. Always remember that most games let you mute or block chat. As for team killing asshats, well usually if you ignore them they go away! The more you bitch, the happier they get!
Abagnam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Abagnam
Member since 2013 • 122 Posts

MMORPGs used to be much smaller, much more niche than they are now. Then WoW happened, and the casuals flooded in.

F2P gamea are also to blame, many people from more poor countries flock to these games and their behaviour and english are really bad. I don't want to sound racist, but everyone knows which south american country I'm reffering to.

I'm just glad I'm escaping all this by playing a very niche mmorpg on a private server with a constant community that will move together, allies and enemies, to same one if the current server fails.

QQabitmoar
You are right... I am brazilian and i have to confess: my people generally don't know how to behave rightly when playing... And yes, our english is terrible! But this is only a minor problem
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Go play Eve. Lots of very mature players there, mostly because it's to difficult for children to play.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

MMO communities have always had their mix of manboons and decent people. Is it worse than what it was in the past? Perhaps it is. But with the internet more accessable and mmos more mainstream, that naturally means more youths have access to the game whose social skills may not be fully developed yet. This isnt to say though that all children are bad, I have met quite a few children who are a lot more honest, kind, willing to learn and mature than some "adults" out there.

QQabitmoar

Honestly, from my mmo experiences I have seen non-Brazilians treat Brazilians far worse than Brazilians treat everyone else.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

People are still having fun, they just do it in a way you aren't used to. It's called "playing tough". If I beat you at Chivalry and tell you that you suck and you should quit - do you quit? Hell no, you keep playing and try to beat me and make me my own words. Just have to be a man on the internet, because everybody likes to be a **** for fun. Things get boring if everyone's too cordial.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Back in the day kids used to do prank calls to get their lulz on, now with the internet, they have a much easier time making up for their deprived life by trying to waste everyone elses time in a game where there's more than one target.  It's not necessarily the game's fault, although places like Call of Duty atract huge amounts of children.....it's more the place you're at within the game.  A game like Red Orchestra/Rising Storm is filled with mature adults because it's very hard to get into.  Same with EVE.  Or any RP server in an MMO.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Back in the day kids used to do prank calls to get their lulz on, now with the internet, they have a much easier time making up for their deprived life by trying to waste everyone elses time in a game where there's more than one target.  It's not necessarily the game's fault, although places like Call of Duty atract huge amounts of children.....it's more the place you're at within the game.  A game like Red Orchestra/Rising Storm is filled with mature adults because it's very hard to get into.  Same with EVE.  Or any RP server in an MMO.

wis3boi
This. Those were the days when one of Timmy's tricycle wheels was sabotaged by one of his friends in a prank. It's really difficult to filter out the new generation. They have a different mentality, attitude, and behaviorism. They play different games.. they don't even know a classic game when they hear one.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
I don't know why MMOs are being singled out but generally, online communities tend to have a healthy population of ass*s due to "Internet Bada**" syndrome aka being safe behind the monitor. CoD, WoT, most FPS games...Hell, just go to youtube comments sections in a lot of videos and its the same thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Question is why do people care so much? Its the internet.... grow some balls, or just ignore it, simple concept really.
NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NinthFall
^ People should always care. Things go bad when people stop careing. I don't know what's up with these days "not careing" stuff. Why is it good not to care? I mean, yeah of course it's up to a certain point but, you know what I mean.

People are still having fun, they just do it in a way you aren't used to. It's called "playing tough". If I beat you at Chivalry and tell you that you suck and you should quit - do you quit? Hell no, you keep playing and try to beat me and make me my own words. Just have to be a man on the internet, because everybody likes to be a **** for fun. Things get boring if everyone's too cordial.

KHAndAnime
Uhm. I highly disagree with you. Your type of fun is the type of fun kids have. Teasing, arguing, "being a tough guy", it's the kind of stuff I'm not interested in. I'm more interested in the RPG spirit of RPG's. Besides, it makes me laugh when I hear someone's trying to be a "tough guy" in an online game, I mean come on. You can be tough, as a tough warrior through your actions (still just in the game ofcourse), but opening your mouth and letting shit fly out of it really makes your actions worth as much as the shit coming out of your mouth. Also, imo being disrespective is nothing to be proud of and also not something I'd call fun.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vfibsux

KHAndAnime
Thank you for being what is wrong with the internet. This coming from someone who throws a fit because Star Trek was remade into something he did not like.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vfibsux
Question is why do people care so much? Its the internet.... grow some balls, or just ignore it, simple concept really.MBirdy88
Grow some balls? What the **** does having balls got to do with tolerating asshattery on the internet? Grow some balls and join the military and go drive down an IED infested road in Afghanistan on your way to fight some Taliban...THAT is a grow some balls situation, not keeping some jerk off ignore in an MMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Question is why do people care so much? Its the internet.... grow some balls, or just ignore it, simple concept really.vfibsux
Grow some balls? What the **** does having balls got to do with tolerating asshattery on the internet? Grow some balls and join the military and go drive down an IED infested road in Afghanistan on your way to fight some Taliban...THAT is a grow some balls situation, not keeping some jerk off ignore in an MMO.

Sorry I didn't know you was the captain of what constitutes "grow some balls". 1. grow some balls to act more mature to be a man "I told him that he should grow some balls and tell me the truth." But yea, I should go die in war ... because thats manly.... because thats what men exist for :roll: ... try harder next time.... or less.. one of the 2, either way your doing it wrong.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vfibsux
[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Question is why do people care so much? Its the internet.... grow some balls, or just ignore it, simple concept really.MBirdy88

Sorry I didn't know you was the captain of what constitutes "grow some balls". 1. grow some balls to act more mature to be a man "I told him that he should grow some balls and tell me the truth." But yea, I should go die in war ... because thats manly.... because thats what men exist for :roll: ... try harder next time.... or less.. one of the 2, either way your doing it wrong.

You said either grow some balls, implying that you are not a man if you do not tolerate people being arseholes on the internet, or ignore it. Grow some balls to act more mature to be a man? Why do I get the idea that you are 19 years old...... The people that need to act more mature are the idiots who get off on trolling people and being complete asshats, not those who dislike it. As for my example, no that is not what men exist for. I simply gave an example of something that TRULY takes some balls to do, something you obviously know nothing about and it shows. I love when internet tough guys like you think there is such a thing as bravery/cowardice on the internet.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

vfibsux
Thank you for being what is wrong with the internet. This coming from someone who throws a fit because Star Trek was remade into something he did not like.

:lol: You're exactly the sort of person I depict in my post. A complete crybaby that probably shouldn't use the internet until he can better control his feelings/emotions. Most people don't get upset and take up personal qualms with people who disagree with them on small topics of entertainment. You on the other hand - I can feel the contempt flowing throw your posts. It's also funny that all you know how to do is spout hyperbole. Your response is pretty much the exact source of entertainment that incites trolling in the first place.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

KHAndAnime

:lol: You're exactly the sort of person I depict in my post. A complete crybaby that probably shouldn't use the internet until he can better control his feelings/emotions. Most people don't get upset and take up personal qualms with people who disagree with them on small topics of entertainment. You on the other hand - I can feel the contempt flowing throw your posts. It's also funny that all you know how to do is spout hyperbole. Your response is pretty much the exact source of entertainment that incites trolling in the first place.

Whatever dude lol. Surprised you didn't just post "umad?" and be done with it. People tend to feel what they want to feel coming from black and white text. I don't think you even know what contempt means. And you spout hyperbole about me spouting hyperbole? You are a walking contradiction lol. Funny stuff you calling me a crybaby too after the temper tantrum you had in the other thread because Star Trek was ruined for you. There is no personal "qualms" (don't think you know what that word means either) here, merely observations.

Perhaps you have delusions of granduer? I merely pointed out it was funny to me someone who thinks the new Star Trek movies are too immature for the lore would think being a **** on the internet is fun. Yes, what you say on these forums can be brought up in another topic, amazing how that works huh?

Oh, and maybe you should buy a dictionary. Using big words poorly to make yourself look intelligent is......what would you say? Fail? Selfpwn?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="vfibsux"] Grow some balls? What the **** does having balls got to do with tolerating asshattery on the internet? Grow some balls and join the military and go drive down an IED infested road in Afghanistan on your way to fight some Taliban...THAT is a grow some balls situation, not keeping some jerk off ignore in an MMO.

You said either grow some balls, implying that you are not a man if you do not tolerate people being arseholes on the internet, or ignore it. Grow some balls to act more mature to be a man? Why do I get the idea that you are 19 years old...... The people that need to act more mature are the idiots who get off on trolling people and being complete asshats, not those who dislike it. As for my example, no that is not what men exist for. I simply gave an example of something that TRULY takes some balls to do, something you obviously know nothing about and it shows. I love when internet tough guys like you think there is such a thing as bravery/cowardice on the internet.

24. Actually alot of things come under "Grow Some Balls" its a meaningless rephrase of "man-up" or "Show some Courage" its intensity is meaningless and there is no scale of what it constitutes. Pretty ironic considering balls are far more fragile than a vagina eh? In this context "Grow Some Balls" is referring to "being above it" and not taking it to heart. You can complain about them all you like but in the end its up to you not to take it seriously, they won't change because you throw a little bitchy hissyfit on the interwebs to people not even involved. The less he cares, the thicker his skin, the "bigger his balls" the more enjoyment he will have from his online experiances. I can't believe I had to explain that tbh....
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
Behavior on MMOs? what you described happened to the entire world, including the internet, online communities and MMOs
B00GIEL0VE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 B00GIEL0VE
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Question is why do people care so much? Its the internet.... grow some balls, or just ignore it, simple concept really.MBirdy88
Truer words could not be spoken. You don't gotta be smart, just smarter than the idiot calling you the "n" word. I found Anarchy Online to be THE BEST community. For me, at least. I never see anyone pick on each other, and I've seen a bunch of people help other people out. Maybe the experience is different for everyone, but for me, I will always remember AO for it's awesome community.
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

QQabitmoar

Is it brazil?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Sorry I didn't know you was the captain of what constitutes "grow some balls". 1. grow some balls to act more mature to be a man "I told him that he should grow some balls and tell me the truth." But yea, I should go die in war ... because thats manly.... because thats what men exist for :roll: ... try harder next time.... or less.. one of the 2, either way your doing it wrong.MBirdy88

24. Actually alot of things come under "Grow Some Balls" its a meaningless rephrase of "man-up" or "Show some Courage" its intensity is meaningless and there is no scale of what it constitutes. Pretty ironic considering balls are far more fragile than a vagina eh? In this context "Grow Some Balls" is referring to "being above it" and not taking it to heart. You can complain about them all you like but in the end its up to you not to take it seriously, they won't change because you throw a little bitchy hissyfit on the interwebs to people not even involved. The less he cares, the thicker his skin, the "bigger his balls" the more enjoyment he will have from his online experiances. I can't believe I had to explain that tbh....

You had to explain it because it is a semantics issue, you cannot go around using phrases that can be interpreted different ways and then blame others when they take your point wrong. You yourself said it can be a lot of things. To someone like me telling someone to grow some balls means you are being a coward, I have never in my life seen anyone use grow some balls or thick skin when it comes to tolerating arseholes or not letting something bother you. It is a different issue where I come from. I do agree thick skin comes into play when you are directly being confronted by these people, but as far as having an opinion about them on a forum like this? Irrelevant. It is a discussion.

I do agree with you that yes you need to just get over it and ignore them, which I do. I join a mature guild and turn off global chat. This however is a discussion about it so yes I am going to passionately express my opinion on these people and how they have ruined MMO communities. I am not going to hold back my opinion about these losers just because it won't change anything. I will still tell you about yourself. Trust me, the shit on this board is something to do in between real life, it is not that big a deal to me. It is a hobby.