Been out the game for awhile, Just got a Macbook Pro

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Acez626
Member since 2006 • 690 Posts

Its been sometime since I last had a comp that was able to play games on it

I use to have a good gaming comp, but went down due to pushing the cpu with overclocking too much.

Anyways, just recently I purchased a 2012 mid Macbook Pro, and was wondering what is the range of games I could run mid-high setting? , the main games im wondering about are Diablo 3 and LoL

Here are the full specs.

8gb Ram

256gb SSD

2.3I7 Ivy Bridge Quad Core

Nivida GT650M 1GB ( which is what im worried about )

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Well Diablo 3 Starter Edition can be downloaded for free, and so can LoL. So give it a download for yourself and judge it performance.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Acez626

@XaosII: use to play d3 on my gaming pc before it died on me, was wondering if I should pick up the expansion. Also to be honest I have yet to get the MacBook Pro, getting it tonight but was excited so wanted to already make this post :)

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Well if you actually intend on gaming on the thing I don't recommend a mac book pro. You'll have a tiny library to pick from considering almost no games come out for Apples operating systems. More and more are. Like say Dues Ex or the new bioshock. Wow, Starcraft and valve tittles. You'll get some of the games, but most still aren't made for the platform as it's currently one of the lowest used platforms for computer gaming. Hell I personally would never recommend a mac anything, simply due to how much they are over priced for what you receive. They have great customer service I'll give them that but when it comes to cost/performance and how limiting the system actually is for gaming they just don't seem worth it.

How much for the macbook pro? I'm wondering because usually they are expensive and you can Get a lenovo ideapad with two gtx 750m's for under $1000. Which is far better then the single 650m in the macbook pro. and your going to be extremely disappointed when you realize your 256 gb SSD is far too small to actually hold anything. Most games AAA game are around 20gb, and HD movies are getting close to that as well. Sorry I know I sound negative towards your buying decision but you can get a far better machine then the one you posted the specs for most likely for far cheaper.

Edit: I just looked up the price of the version you want but with the 750m instead and it's $1,500 which is nuts for what they are giving you. I'm assuming the price is only 100 to 200 off considering it's last years model but still you can get a better machine that will play a larger variety of games, then a macbook pro will for cheaper.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Acez626

@ribstaylor1: hey let me start off by saying I completely agree with you, lol everything you said I agree 100%

The primary reason I'm buying this is because of work, I only intend to do gaming on the side, and to be honest with you as long as it can run diablo 3 and LOL on near high settings I will be happy

I am getting this Mac for very cheap from a friend, it's the new retina ones .. I'm getting it for $900

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ribstaylor1

Well for 900 It's nothing to complain about especially with the better screen. Just sucks they force such a small SSD into it instead an actual HDD with some space in it. Ya I like how macs look, operate, and I like their customer service but I can't ever in good conscious recommend them due to their prices. I'd still recommend searching for something like an ideapad for gaming but if work is your main priority then your going to need a little more then 3 hours of battery life.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Acez626 said:

@ribstaylor1: hey let me start off by saying I completely agree with you, lol everything you said I agree 100%

The primary reason I'm buying this is because of work, I only intend to do gaming on the side, and to be honest with you as long as it can run diablo 3 and LOL on near high settings I will be happy

I am getting this Mac for very cheap from a friend, it's the new retina ones .. I'm getting it for $900

That's far from very cheap.

And it won't run anything at high settings

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Acez626

@ribstaylor1: these macs only have 3hr battery's?? That sucks lol

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Acez626

@MonsieurX: for the price it really cost

So I'm guessing the gfx is bottlenecking it from running it better?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX

@Acez626 said:

@MonsieurX: for the price it really cost

So I'm guessing the gfx is bottlenecking it from running it better?

Yes.

For the price,you could get a brand new laptop that would outperform it by a long shot.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Acez626

@MonsieurX: I understand that bro, and to take it another notch I can build a desktop with that money that will go circles around the Mac,

However that is not my primary concern, I need it for my job... I do branding and marketing and the sad truth is when I go met with a client and they see I'm using a PC laptop, there not going to like it as much as me using a Mac...

Hopefully this laptop can however satisfy my gaming needs, just want lol and d3 on it

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MonsieurX

Put a mac logo on the back of your laptop and they won't notice

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ribstaylor1

@Acez626: Was referring to the Lenovo. It's running duel GPU's and an actual HDD so it has a very low battery life. You should get around 9 hours with a macbook pro.