Battlefield 4 ... a current-gen game or a next-gen game?

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kjranu (1750 posts) -

BF4 isn't as big of a jump as I had hoped graphics-wise. It looks like a current gen game which is a huge disappointment because I had built up my expectations to a point that it was going to have truly revolutionary next-gen graphics. Running the game on Ultra looks exactly like BF3 with some more in depth lighting and shadows and that's the only difference I see. Right now I see zero reason to upgrade from BF3 to BF4 unless you want to play as pinkos. 

#2 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

Well from what I saw you're right, it's not a huge upgrade at all. But look at the bright side, pc gamers have been playing next gen games for some time while consoles have had to deal with crap versions of BF3.

I think what we are seeing is consoles temporarily catching up with where we have been for a while.

#3 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -

BF4 isn't as big of a jump as I had hoped graphics-wise. It looks like a current gen game which is a huge disappointment because I had built up my expectations to a point that it was going to have truly revolutionary next-gen graphics. Running the game on Ultra looks exactly like BF3 with some more in depth lighting and shadows and that's the only difference I see. Right now I see zero reason to upgrade from BF3 to BF4 unless you want to play as pinkos. 

Kjranu

dont see how can you do that when the game is also on the ps3 and xbox360. don't expect anything amazing untill a year or so into the next gen.

#4 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

I honestly don't care

#5 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -

I honestly don't care

lostrib
i would rather they bring back bad company.
#6 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

The #BF4 PC beta is a beta, not all graphics options are hooked up or tweaked yet and performance is not final. But please do test the game

#7 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -

The #BF4 PC beta is a beta, not all graphics options are hooked up or tweaked yet and performance is not final. But please do test the game

Baranga
even so the TC is expecting alot more than what the game is offering.
#8 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

I honestly don't care

lawlessx

it might come back eventually

http://www.gamespot.com/news/battlefield-bad-company-3-will-happen-says-dice-6415278

#9 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

I honestly don't care

lawlessx

id rather they keep that on consoles
#10 Posted by Gooeykat (3411 posts) -
Well if graphics is your biggest determining factor, than BF3 should last you a little while longer, until it dies off with people switching to BF4. I really like what DICE has done with it's latest iteration, everything is more refined imho.
#11 Posted by Wasdie (53500 posts) -

The upgrades all are under the hood. The game has much tighter infantry controls (you don't get hung up on everything on the map anymore), the netcode is much better, the destruction is much better implemented so it actually has an effect on the map without ruining the flow, the larger-scale destruction alters how the map players, the core gameplay has been tweaked to implement a lot of the features from BF2 while keeping the complexity low.

There are a lot of gameplay and design choices that are much more modern. They are bringing the game back to the more complex nature of BF2 without overburdening the players. That's a very difficult thing to do.

#12 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -
[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

I honestly don't care

wis3boi

why? it was great on the PC
#13 Posted by mrbojangles25 (40333 posts) -

gameplay-wise it is very "next gen" (**** i hate that term), I am loving how the game plays.  A lot of the focus has been put on infantry combat, and you can feel a heavy Bad Company 2 vibe in that respect (a good thing, the foot combat was great in that game).  A lot of minor tweaks that only a veteran would notice are also in, but they are all for the better unless it somehow pisses you off (knife counters, anyone? lol)

Don't really care about the tech, it looks and sounds great, which satisfies me.  If anything, they could have lowered the tech a bit to increase performance for everyone across the board, increasing the player pool, and competition.

#14 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (3117 posts) -

Ugh BF4 has failed me. Plastic guns that sound like NERF guns. See thru walla in spectate revealing the enemies position. BF4=FAIL

#15 Posted by awptical (844 posts) -

current gen, easily. There's not much of an improvement over BF3 to warrant a generational change.

#16 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -
[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="lawlessx"] i would rather they bring back bad company.

it was basically a dumbed down version of the BF series, and now that they have BF4 out (the real successor to BF2), why have both? I don't care for campaigns, so it's all MP for me, and I see BC as just a lesser BF
#17 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] id rather they keep that on consoleswis3boi

it was basically a dumbed down version of the BF series, and now that they have BF4 out (the real successor to BF2), why have both? I don't care for campaigns, so it's all MP for me, and I see BC as just a lesser BF

i personally enjoyed the MP in BC2 alot more than i did in BF3.

Avatar image for realguitarhero5
#18 Posted by realguitarhero5 (4169 posts) -

The graphical differences are subtle but noticeable... the biggest improvements in BF4 come in the form of movement, interface, gameplay mechanics, etc.

#19 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

The graphical differences are subtle but noticeable... the biggest improvements in BF4 come in the form of movement, interface, gameplay mechanics, etc.

realguitarhero5
I love how they use their madden animations for sprinting....watch a player sprint forward and then quickly change directions and you can see them lean into it and use their legs correctly
#20 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="lawlessx"] why? it was great on the PC lawlessx

Same here. It didn't feel dumbed down to me. I highly enjoyed it more than BF3.. but BF3 is good in its own right with some flaws. BF4 seems like a more refined version of BF3 so that's pretty good.
#21 Posted by with_teeth26 (8501 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="lawlessx"] why? it was great on the PC lawlessx

I'm with you on that. It felt firmly in the arcade camp (which lets be honest is where the BF games have their roots, 1942 and Vietnam were very arcadey) while BF3 awkwardly straddled the line between realism and arcade gameplay.

BF2 also straddled this line albiet more successfully thanks to a community that learned to play FPS games before CoD 4 happened and more features that supported teamwork. BF4 is bringing these features back but I have a lot of doubt that the average BF4 match will contain enough players interested in using teamwork for them to matter much. 

More importantly, BC2 had personality. BF3 and by the looks of it 4 are just so damn bland. I feel the Battlefield community is ruined and with it my ability to enjoy the games, but I'd rather a return to the Bad Company style of things. Leave the realism to Tripwire and Bohemia Interactive because they aren't completely shit at it. 

#22 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (3117 posts) -

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"] it was basically a dumbed down version of the BF series, and now that they have BF4 out (the real successor to BF2), why have both? I don't care for campaigns, so it's all MP for me, and I see BC as just a lesser BFwith_teeth26

I'm with you on that. It felt firmly in the arcade camp (which lets be honest is where the BF games have their roots, 1942 and Vietnam were very arcadey) while BF3 awkwardly straddled the line between realism and arcade gameplay.

BF2 also straddled this line albiet more successfully thanks to a community that learned to play FPS games before CoD 4 happened and more features that supported teamwork. BF4 is bringing these features back but I have a lot of doubt that the average BF4 match will contain enough players interested in using teamwork for them to matter much. 

More importantly, BC2 had personality. BF3 and by the looks of it 4 are just so damn bland. I feel the Battlefield community is ruined and with it my ability to enjoy the games, but I'd rather a return to the Bad Company style of things. Leave the realism to Tripwire and Bohemia Interactive because they aren't completely shit at it. 

I on the other hand hated BC2 due to its antics and talking characters. seemed so fake and cartoony. BF3 for me brough back the BF2 feeling. Good stuff

#23 Posted by Brean24 (1659 posts) -
Battlefield 3 is already one of the best looking games of all time on the PC. There's really not much more room for improvement without a new engine. However that said Battlefield 4 already looks amazing.
#24 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

Comparing the PC versions of games isn't going to yield immense graphical jumps around new-console-gen time, because PC graphics don't advance like that. PC graphics advance steadily, every year, even throughout any given year. It's just a constant stream of improvement (assuming you upgrade your PC regularly enough that you can always play games at or near max settings), rather than a huge jump, followed by 5-8 years of mostly stagnation, with a few small improvements, then another huge jump.

Wanna see the generational leap? Compare the PS3/360 version of BF3, to the PC/PS4/XBO version of BF4.

#25 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

You set your expectations WAY too high.

#26 Posted by Malta_1980 (11890 posts) -

BF3 looks great so I wasnt expecting 5x better looking visuals for BF4 considering there wasnt 5+ years of gap between the games.. 

Personally I'm looking forward to BF4 even though I'm still happy with BF3's mp...

Hope my Gaming Rig will run BF4 at decent graphics while keeping a decent frame rate (over 30fps) :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#27 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

I honestly don't care

lawlessx

No.... this is much better than bad company.
#28 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

Comparing the PC versions of games isn't going to yield immense graphical jumps around new-console-gen time, because PC graphics don't advance like that. PC graphics advance steadily, every year, even throughout any given year. It's just a constant stream of improvement (assuming you upgrade your PC regularly enough that you can always play games at or near max settings), rather than a huge jump, followed by 5-8 years of mostly stagnation, with a few small improvements, then another huge jump.

Wanna see the generational leap? Compare the PS3/360 version of BF3, to the PC/PS4/XBO version of BF4.

the_bi99man
PC used to have games that were huge jumps. Quake, UT2k3, Doom 3 and Crysis come to mind. Crysis 3 was quite a jump as well. The beginning of Crysis 3 blew me away.
#29 Posted by uninspiredcup (26101 posts) -

Single player probably plays like Battlefield 3, which played like MOH from the 90's. So no, not really. Halflife 1 is head of it in that regard.

And no excauses about SP doesn't matter please, it exists, it's being sold as part of the product for a very, very high price tag. Portal 2 and Halflife 2 and the Orange Box did not suffer from poor SP.

#30 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

Single player probably plays like Battlefield 3, which played like MOH from the 90's. So no, not really. Halflife 1 is head of it in that regard.

And no excauses about SP doesn't matter please, it exists, it's being sold as part of the product for a very, very high price tag. Portal 2 and Halflife 2 and the Orange Box did not suffer from poor SP.

uninspiredcup
Love your crystal ball. Orange box was multiple teams worth of friggin projects, 2 of which were old and seperate (HL2). Doesn't stop the Multiplayer being the best in its genre.
#31 Posted by uninspiredcup (26101 posts) -

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

MBirdy88

Love your crystal ball. Orange box was multiple teams worth of friggin projects, 2 of which were old and seperate (HL2). Doesn't stop the Multiplayer being the best in its genre.

Team Fortress 2 and Rising Storm are superior team games. As a team game, battlefield 3 totally fell flat. Unless Battlefield 4 stops it's obcession (it wont) of competiting with Call Of Duty.

#32 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

uninspiredcup

Team Fortress 2 and Rising Storm are superior team games. As a team game, battlefield 3 totally fell flat. Unless Battlefield 4 stops it's obcession (it wont) of competiting with Call Of Duty.

:roll: I love Team Fotress but most people on it don't team they solo just like any other game. and Rising Storm is nearly dead, overhyped niche nonsense. Battlefield 4 fixes quite a few squad problems and feels great compared to BF3. BF is NOTHING like CoD, stop talking out of your a$$.
#33 Posted by slabber44 (985 posts) -

^Totally agree with this^. That has always been my biggest disappointment with both BF and CoD series as of late is the pure lack of teamwork. To many gung ho idiots more worried about their K/D ratio and unlocking equipment than achieving objectives as a team. Always hoped it would improve and having the commander option might help, but I'm still not sold on it yet. I'm waiting to well after release before considering purchasing, but I'm hopeful that I hear more positive things about the teamwork aspect of the game.
#34 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

I honestly don't care

lawlessx

I never want to see Bad Company again.  I see no point in it.  I liked 2 a lot, but still, no point.

The game does look very similar to BF3, but there are noticable upgrades and more than the textures and such, there are a lot of particle effects and so on.  A lot more detail and effects.  And the game is going to look a bit better by launch. 

Avatar image for realguitarhero5
#35 Posted by realguitarhero5 (4169 posts) -

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

I honestly don't care

NaveedLife

I never want to see Bad Company again.  I see no point in it.  I liked 2 a lot, but still, no point.

The game does look very similar to BF3, but there are noticable upgrades and more than the textures and such, there are a lot of particle effects and so on.  A lot more detail and effects.  And the game is going to look a bit better by launch. 

I'd love to see another Bad Company. A mix between BC1 and BC2 would be fantastic.
#36 Posted by Ser_Charles (76 posts) -
[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] id rather they keep that on consoles

Agreed. Nearly an experimental version of bf for testing Frostbite Engine, imo. No prone, focusing on fast-paced infantry combat, and unstoppable rocket launcher... Rush mode has a lot of fun though.
#37 Posted by -Snooze- (7304 posts) -

Is the Open Beta live now? I can't see it on Origin

#38 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

-Snooze-

restart origin.  it has been live for about 3 days.

#39 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

NaveedLife

restart origin.  it has been live for about 3 days.

That wasn't the open beta, it was exclusive. Open just started today
#40 Posted by Mcspanky37 (1693 posts) -
Would you guys recommend this to someone who couldn't get into BF3 but played the hell out of BF2 and BC2?
#41 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -
Would you guys recommend this to someone who couldn't get into BF3 but played the hell out of BF2 and BC2?Mcspanky37
highly. It's a lot like BF2 in many ways
#42 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

Would you guys recommend this to someone who couldn't get into BF3 but played the hell out of BF2 and BC2?Mcspanky37
Yes. I loved BC2. A lot more than BF3, but I also enjoyed certain things about BF3 to an extent. BF4 is like the good parts (like the fun aspect) of BC2.. people actually pin Helicopters and I was just blasting them out of the sky with my engie. It's a bit early to say, but from just Shanghai on the beta.. it's just fun.

I am enjoying the slower paced, teamplay, it's more involved. The map is very good.  All the added features that never made it into BF3 are here, and then some, and refined.  

It's like drinking high-quality robust coffee versus the cheap 7-eleven coffee.

#43 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"]Would you guys recommend this to someone who couldn't get into BF3 but played the hell out of BF2 and BC2?Elann2008

Yes. I loved BC2. A lot more than BF3, but I also enjoyed certain things about BF3 to an extent. BF4 is like the good parts (like the fun aspect) of BC2.. people actually pin Helicopters and I was just blasting them out of the sky with my engie. It's a bit early to say, but from just Shanghai on the beta.. it's just fun.

I am enjoying the slower paced, teamplay, it's more involved. The map is very good.  All the added features that never made it into BF3 are here, and then some, and refined.  

It's like drinking high-quality robust coffee versus the cheap 7-eleven coffee.

Even the minor improvements like working squad voip, 5 man squads, WAY better command rose and order system....it encourages teamplay. BF3 failed hard at this because there was no real way to coordinate outside of getting into ventrilo or mumble outside the game

#45 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

I just played the Beta and was getting horrible performance. I hope the final game is much more optimized

#46 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

uninspiredcup

i don't know what it was about BF3,but it never clicked for me and i loved BF2.

#47 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (3117 posts) -

BF3 looks great so I wasnt expecting 5x better looking visuals for BF4 considering there wasnt 5+ years of gap between the games.. 

Personally I'm looking forward to BF4 even though I'm still happy with BF3's mp...

Hope my Gaming Rig will run BF4 at decent graphics while keeping a decent frame rate (over 30fps) :(

Malta_1980

Your fine lol 

#48 Posted by GAJY_FILTH (112 posts) -

Feels like BF3 to me.

#49 Posted by Prexxus (1443 posts) -

You wont be seeing anymore "huge" jumps in graphics anytime soon. The reason the last decade has been so astounding is because of the move to 720 , 1080. We use so many polygons now the jumps are much less noticeable then they were 10 years ago. We've hit diminishing returns.

#50 Posted by mitu123 (155229 posts) -

I just played the Beta and was getting horrible performance. I hope the final game is much more optimized

BPoole96
It will be.