Battlefield 3 community

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Patoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Patoosh
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
When BF3 comes out, will the community be super big and for a long time? I'm really looking forward to this game and I hope it sticks around for a long time. Whats everybody think?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Lost my prediction powers but I think it's safe to say it'll be bigger than BC 2's at launch.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It's going to be like BF2: Huge!!!

Even BC2 is doing well.

And I'm proud to be part of it.:)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

When BF3 comes out, will the community be super big and for a long time? I'm really looking forward to this game and I hope it sticks around for a long time. Whats everybody think?Patoosh

Lots of people still play Battlefield 2, even with Bad Company 2 out.

You will get bored and move onto another game before the community dies out...

Patoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Patoosh
I'm really hoping it'll be like Battlefield 2 all over again.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Hold on, let me get my NASA Supercomputer, that will be the only PC to run Battlefield 3 at decent frames, and put it to do a calculation on the future. 3.... 2.... 1.... Done. Ok, it is telling me, that yes It will be big........In NASA's Huge LAN Party /jk....Yes it will be big, what Battlefield wasn't big on PC? Other then the one not released on PC >.>
ksko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ksko
Member since 2007 • 509 Posts

it will be mega big ! on consoles andPC , after all this is the saviour of the FPS genre!

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts
It will be bigger than BF2. DICE would be stupid to not release mod tools though...there is no valid excuse. Mod tools increase the life of the game drastically.
giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 giant11
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts

It will be a massive community, there is no doubt. It's maybe the most anticipated game of several years.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#10 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
It will be pretty big, I doubt they have built BF3 to co-exist with BF2--but rather offer an improved and refined experience with added bells and whistles. Icing on the cake if it uses steamworks to handle its community.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

This bomb is going to EXPLODE!

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

With the success of BBC2 and Vietnam, I expect the community to be large,

How long it lasts, will be influenced by the quality of support, and whether they can keep out the hackers or not etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I'm really hoping it'll be like Battlefield 2 all over again.Patoosh

i think it's gonna be bigger. i'll uninstall BF2 from my PC for the first time when this comes out.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Hold on, let me get my NASA Supercomputer, that will be the only PC to run Battlefield 3 at decent frames, and put it to do a calculation on the future. 3.... 2.... 1.... Done. Ok, it is telling me, that yes It will be big........In NASA's Huge LAN Party /jk....Yes it will be big, what Battlefield wasn't big on PC? Other then the one not released on PC >.>ShadowDeathX

2142 post northern strike

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

I'll be in it so it will be big:D

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts
BF3 is probably going to be the biggest BF release since BF2, it's been about 5 years since a "real" or "legit" BF game has been released.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#17 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Battlefield series brings huge amounts of gamers. I wouldn't be surprised if the beta is extremely popular, if they have a demo it will likely have thousands playing. The longevity is really up to how well it plays but I have no doubt the first few weeks will be packed with players.
dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts
Bf2 will be 6yrs old in june and there are lots of servers still going
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

It will be bigger than BF2. DICE would be stupid to not release mod tools though...there is no valid excuse. Mod tools increase the life of the game drastically.Remmib

This isn't a basic engine as bf2 engine and unreal and other heavy modded engines. fb is no simple engine.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#20 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I hope the community will consistently last like BF2 but having no mod tools might affect that.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Remmib

[QUOTE="Remmib"]It will be bigger than BF2. DICE would be stupid to not release mod tools though...there is no valid excuse. Mod tools increase the life of the game drastically.James161324

This isn't a basic engine as bf2 engine and unreal and other heavy modded engines. fb is no simple engine.

It's okay, I'm sure with the collective brain power at DICE they can figure it out.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust
[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]It will be bigger than BF2. DICE would be stupid to not release mod tools though...there is no valid excuse. Mod tools increase the life of the game drastically.Remmib

It's okay, I'm sure with the collective brain power at DICE they can figure it out.

You never know how much that brain power is actually worth. I still remember the official response to mod tools for BC 2 " we're sorry, we know this might not be good news for the community but sadly there are no plans for modding tools simply because the engine is extremely advanced and complex, even we don't really know how to fully use it" or something close to that. If the ones that made the engine are having issues while working with that engine, then...yeah.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="Remmib"][QUOTE="James161324"]

DanielDust

You never know how much that brain power is actually worth. I still remember the official response to mod tools for BC 2 " we're sorry, we know this might not be good news for the community but sadly there are no plans for modding tools simply because the engine is extremely advanced and complex, even we don't really know how to fully use it" or something close to that. If the ones that made the engine are having issues while working with that engine, then...yeah.

Its the same reason we havent gotten Black ops modding tools yet. lol

I cant believe people buy into this nonsense. How many more sales would they get from releasing mod tools? I'm sure it cost a decent bit of time and money to put out mod tools. What does dice get in return? People playing BF 2 mods instead of buying 2142.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DanielDust
What do they get? people buying more copies because they actually have a lot of custom maps available especially remakes after the most popular maps, maps that DICE didn't include in the pack that'll release at launch. A future game, has nothing to do with the actual game you'd get and the amount of content from it. If the game is bad, people won't buy, they'll play the older, better game, that's the case with BF 2 and 2142 which in case you didn't know, it had mods and custom maps (2142).
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cranler
What do they get? people buying more copies because they actually have a lot of custom maps available especially remakes after the most popular maps, maps that DICE didn't include in the pack that'll release at launch. A future game, has nothing to do with the actual game you'd get and the amount of content from it. If the game is bad, people won't buy, they'll play the older, better game, that's the case with BF 2 and 2142 which in case you didn't know, it had mods and custom maps (2142).DanielDust
Gamers are going to buy more than one copy because of mod tools or you mean more people buying the game? How many people with the rig to run BF 3 wouldnt buy because of no mods? I mean really! Come on now! Mods can hurt sales more than help. What if someone had made a Vietnam mod for Bad Company 2 before dice released the expansion?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DanielDust

More will buy, the 2nd makes no sense, because BF 2 fans wanted a BF for years and now they get it, of course they're gonna get it, even if it's crap (most of them). Good mods take years to make and even most of the amazing ones die on the way, there's no way a decent Vietnam mod would've been made before DICE released the expansion and if it were, people would still get it because that rushed mod can't be great.

For a game to survive for years it needs content and DICE is not prepared to do that, not for free, they had to release an unfinished game and offer missing maps as free new maps to do something like that (of course at the end of the road they did actually include a few new maps), best way would be to let the game without mod tools for one year because that's how much they're prepared to offer actual support and make paid DLCs, to fully maximize their profit, then release mod tools after they gave up on the game.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Remmib

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="Remmib"] It's okay, I'm sure with the collective brain power at DICE they can figure it out.Cranler

I cant believe people buy into this nonsense. How many more sales would they get from releasing mod tools? I'm sure it cost a decent bit of time and money to put out mod tools. What does dice get in return? People playing BF 2 mods instead of buying 2142.

Black Ops and MW2 didn't get mod tools because the people at Activision are greedy and stupid. Little do they know that mod tools actually increases sales.

Just look at how many copies of HL/HL2 were sold due to the mod community being so extensive, which lead to some of the most popular mods in history (which I don't think I need to name for obvious reasons).

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cranler
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

More will buy, the 2nd makes no sense, because BF 2 fans wanted a BF for years and now they get it, of course they're gonna get it, even if it's crap (most of them). Good mods take years to make and even most of the amazing ones die on the way, there's no way a decent Vietnam mod would've been made before DICE released the expansion and if it were, people would still get it because that rushed mod can't be great.

For a game to survive for years it needs content and DICE is not prepared to do that, not for free, they had to release an unfinished game and offer missing maps as free new maps to do something like that (of course at the end of the road they did actually include a few new maps), best way would be to let the game without mod tools for one year because that's how much they're prepared to offer actual support and make paid DLCs, to fully maximize their profit, then release mod tools after they gave up on the game.

Neither of us have any data on how many more copies BF 2 sold because of mod support. Logic would dictate that its a very small percentage though. It would have been tough for modders to make a Vietnam mod that quickly but just having a bunch of user made maps would deter people from buying Vietnam. A lot of people were tired of playing the same maps. Why would EA want Bad Company 2 for instance to survive for years? They want people to be bored with it and ready to buy BF 3.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Remmib

Neither of us have any data on how many more copies BF 2 sold because of mod support. Logic would dictate that its a very small percentage though. It would have been tough for modders to make a Vietnam mod that quickly but just having a bunch of user made maps would deter people from buying Vietnam. A lot of people were tired of playing the same maps. Why would EA want Bad Company 2 for instance to survive for years? They want people to be bored with it and ready to buy BF 3.Cranler

Mod tools for 1942 and BF2 didn't deter EA from making expansion packs and then people buying them in droves.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] You never know how much that brain power is actually worth. I still remember the official response to mod tools for BC 2 " we're sorry, we know this might not be good news for the community but sadly there are no plans for modding tools simply because the engine is extremely advanced and complex, even we don't really know how to fully use it" or something close to that. If the ones that made the engine are having issues while working with that engine, then...yeah.Remmib

Black Ops and MW2 didn't get mod tools because the people at Activision are greedy and stupid. Little do they know that mod tools actually increases sales.

Just look at how many copies of HL/HL2 were sold due to the mod community being so extensive, which lead to some of the most popular mods in history (which I don't think I need to name for obvious reasons).

The Black Ops comment was a joke. CSS was a fluke. Wheres your data on how many copies of HL 2 were sold strictly for the mods?

You think you know more about game sales than the marketing execs at Activision?

Activision lost so many sales on MW2's lack of modding capabilities theyre working night and day to get Black Ops tools out. That was a joke btw

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"]Neither of us have any data on how many more copies BF 2 sold because of mod support. Logic would dictate that its a very small percentage though. It would have been tough for modders to make a Vietnam mod that quickly but just having a bunch of user made maps would deter people from buying Vietnam. A lot of people were tired of playing the same maps. Why would EA want Bad Company 2 for instance to survive for years? They want people to be bored with it and ready to buy BF 3.Remmib

Mod tools for 1942 and BF2 didn't deter EA from making expansion packs and then people buying them in droves.

Dice says mods arent worth the trouble so to speak:

"We will not deliver mod tools in the way that we delivered them for Battlefield 2," says Bach. "Creating mod tools today — dumbing them down — takes a lot of energy and what we are discussing more every day is, 'Where do we put our focus?' Right now our focus is to create the best possible multiplayer, single-player, and co-op game–the core game of Battlefield 3. We're still discussing how we can handle modifications of any kind."

The modless Bad Company 2 sold 5 million copies in the first couple months. BF2 was at 2 million sales after a year.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"]Neither of us have any data on how many more copies BF 2 sold because of mod support. Logic would dictate that its a very small percentage though. It would have been tough for modders to make a Vietnam mod that quickly but just having a bunch of user made maps would deter people from buying Vietnam. A lot of people were tired of playing the same maps. Why would EA want Bad Company 2 for instance to survive for years? They want people to be bored with it and ready to buy BF 3.Cranler

Dice says mods arent worth the trouble so to speak:

"We will not deliver mod tools in the way that we delivered them for Battlefield 2," says Bach. "Creating mod tools today — dumbing them down — takes a lot of energy and what we are discussing more every day is, 'Where do we put our focus?' Right now our focus is to create the best possible multiplayer, single-player, and co-op game–the core game of Battlefield 3. We're still discussing how we can handle modifications of any kind."

The modless Bad Company 2 sold 5 million copies in the first couple months. BF2 was at 2 million sales after a year.

THe modless BC2 sold 5 million because most of those sales were from consoles.

I can't believe DICE has the balls to say "Creating mod tools today - dumbing them down". Does DICE not realize that a lot of modders are JUST as proficient in programming as them?

Man they have become very ignorant.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

Lost my prediction powers but I think it's safe to say it'll be bigger than BC 2's at launch.

DanielDust

cuz I got off the top of your head and stole them from you! :P

anyway, my guess is that it will be larger than Bad Company 2's community simply because A.) BC2 community will migrate to it, and B.) I think a lot of diehard BF2 fans passed on BC2

AtifSalman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AtifSalman
Battlefield is just amazing, They always make me happy (not in a perverted way lol just saying), they always bring something new that keeps the series alive and running.. I think the community's gonna be pretty big..
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

it would propably take 10 years to make a mod like Project Reality with FB2.0. hell, it's still at version 0.95 on BF2. i understand their decision with BF3 mod tools.

i'm not too worried. even that like mods on BF2, i still prefer the vanilla game over the mods. i bet Dice will release quality expansions to BF3.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

BF3 looks to be a proper next generation game, it's the first time even I'm hyped for a military shooter since CoD 1. So I think it's safe to say that BF3 will have a larger, longer-lasting community than BC2.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

DICE did say it will have more content along the way(probably like BF2 with it's expansions), it could be used to make up for mod tools, they can easily make mod tools years from now.

visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#39 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
I will be picking this one up and I didn't bother with 2142 or BC2.