Batman Arkham Origins - is it REALLY bad?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

This is with respect to the Gamespot review of this game, and also several other reviews which don't seem too impressed by this. To be frank, I had my reservations when they announced that Arkham Origins would not be developed by Rocksteady. But then, I'm also not the kind of person who believes professional reviews blindly, because I give more importance to the opinions of regular gamers (and not critics).

So this is what I want to know, from those who have bought this game (preferably on the PC). I'm considering buying the PC version. Is it worth buying the game at full price now, should I wait for a sale or price drop, or is it so terrible that its not worth buying at all? Also, since I'm a die-hard Batman fan, would I like this game in spite of its so-called "flaws"?

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's basically Arkham City 1.5, which is fine by me.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

No, it's not. If you enjoyed Arkham City, you should enjoy this. Really fun game.

I'm liking the younger, more brutal Batman.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

It's the best game I've played in a while. Not bad at all.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

It's a fun game and if you're a fan of the franchise you will probably like it. The PC version looks great (with DX11 features and Physx), runs great and plays great.

Beware though, It's very buggy right now. I had to stop playing because a bug prevented me from progressing in a side quest. So before buying wait for a patch or two.

@Doom_HellKnight said:

I'm liking the younger, more brutal Batman.

I like him too. A very nice contrast to the calm and professional, more experienced Batman in the previous games.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Pretty glitchy. Been a while since I've played City, but it seens to be much more difficult. It has some additional effects but the graphics have not improved. The textures so far are worse than the second game.

If there isn't word on the company stomping the game's bugs, I'm getting a refund.

So, I don't recommend buying it right now.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

@FaustArp said:

I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's basically Arkham City 1.5, which is fine by me.

Being happy with rehashes ensure more will be made.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@PinchySkree: Calling it a rehash is not fair. There wasn't a need to change the gameplay. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. You get a city that's twice the size of the previous game and you get a multiplayer thats pretty interesting which is essentially the Splinter Cell Mercs vs Spies mode except it's a 3-way fight.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@Masculus said:

It has some additional effects but the graphics have not improved. The textures so far are worse than the second game.

I just played Arkham City the other day and I thought the texture quality was about the same. Otherwise the game has a much cleaner look and the lighting and shadows have been improved significantly since the last game. Overall I think it's the best looking game in the series.

Jetset314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Jetset314
Member since 2011 • 234 Posts

Soo much fun and some of the boss fights are really fun, and I agree with the consensus: If you liked Arkham City, you'll like Origins.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

It's not as bad as CP made it out to be.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Read the review in full not just look at the score. She said story/gameplay is up to par with AA/AC but it didn't bring anything new to the table thus score got marked down. If Origins was the 1st Arkham game it probably would have gotten 8/9.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

People still care about reviews?

Like the first two games, I'll pick this one up for $10 (or less) during a Steam sale.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

@PinchySkree: Calling it a rehash is not fair. There wasn't a need to change the gameplay. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. You get a city that's twice the size of the previous game and you get a multiplayer thats pretty interesting which is essentially the Splinter Cell Mercs vs Spies mode except it's a 3-way fight.

A larger area to do more of the same. Watch the review.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

no its not bad

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

It's not.

The reviewer has no idea what he is talking about.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

It's more Arkham City, so if you expect innovation like the previous Arkham games you might be disappointed, but it's more awesome Batman gameplay that is worth checking out. At the very least, it's something to play until the next Rocksteady game, and gives us a good look at the Batman of the game universe. It is really cool that the animated, cinematic and comic universes are quite different.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

yeah i only played it for a little while and it reminds me a lot of arkham city. This isn't a bad thing because i love that game. the game looks amazing, this is the first batman game i have played on pc. i would say get it, if you liked AC. Don't let all reviews stir you away from a game. If you want the game then play it.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I finished it today and it's basically just more Arkham City (Awesome!)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

This is with respect to the Gamespot review of this game, and also several other reviews which don't seem too impressed by this. To be frank, I had my reservations when they announced that Arkham Origins would not be developed by Rocksteady. But then, I'm also not the kind of person who believes professional reviews blindly, because I give more importance to the opinions of regular gamers (and not critics).

So this is what I want to know, from those who have bought this game (preferably on the PC). I'm considering buying the PC version. Is it worth buying the game at full price now, should I wait for a sale or price drop, or is it so terrible that its not worth buying at all? Also, since I'm a die-hard Batman fan, would I like this game in spite of its so-called "flaws"?

Well, don't take the score on gamespot as the game is bad, because its not. its Batman like the two previous Batman games, nothing new , just more of the same.

So if you liked City and Asylum then buy the game but you won't lose out on waiting for christmas sale.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@funkyzoom:

it isnt even remotely bad. basically if you liked arkham city, you will like arkham origins. they are basically the same game with a different story.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

Graphics are better and worse than AC. Lighting is better, design is cleaner. It's more...cell shaded...ish. It's less gritty...I think overall the difference is a slight change in art.

Gameplay is much smoother and more stable, city has been expanded. Not worth $50 if you played AC, but it's better overall.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Whoever said Arkham Origins is a BAD game has no idea what they are talking about it.

I finished it today (9 hrs campaign straight) and it's a great game.

It's basically Arkham City 2. If they decide to go for a 4th part, they need to change it up a bit.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

It's actually a great game, it's not like the jump from arkham asylum to arkham city, it's basically the same than arkham city but larger and a lot more gadgets.

But for not being "innovative" GS gave it a 6. Bf4 being identical to Bf3 will probly get a 9.. just don't mind what people say

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

I'v played about 20 hours and personally I think it is waybetter than the other two. Bane was one of my fav characters (the first comic I read was knightfall) and it's great to see Warn Bros fix him from the dum dum in the prev two games. Even the Joker who tends to be a very boring character in these games got some pretty good story telling jumping to the killing joke. Along with Shadow Warrior this is another gem.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Yeah I really liked Bane in Arkham Origins compared to how he was presented in the previous two games.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

This game's reception is all over the place. I've heard its the best in the series, I've heard it's more of the same (not necessarily bad), and I've heard its a soulless ripoff of a sequel.

Definitely going to wait for the hype to die down to see if this is something I want to pick up before the end of the year or wait for the $5 steam sale in a year or two.

BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of the series, who had concerns early on about an Arkham game not being made by Rocksteady so there's that. :P

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Cwagmire21 said:

This game's reception is all over the place. I've heard its the best in the series, I've heard it's more of the same (not necessarily bad), and I've heard its a soulless ripoff of a sequel.

Definitely going to wait for the hype to die down to see if this is something I want to pick up before the end of the year or wait for the $5 steam sale in a year or two.

BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of the series, who had concerns early on about an Arkham game not being made by Rocksteady so there's that. :P

Well, to be honest who ever said its the best in the series needs to buy some new glasses because its basically as mentioned City 2.0 done bigger but the same, and not to mention that the story doesn't match up to the previous game and character art design is horrible

But again its a batman game and not a bad game at that, its a fair experience but if you loved the two others you won't be disappointed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jacanuk said:

@Cwagmire21 said:

Well, to be honest who ever said its the best in the series needs to buy some new glasses because its basically as mentioned City 2.0 done bigger but the same, and not to mention that the story doesn't match up to the previous game and character art design is horrible

It has a significantly better story with character design closer to comic book.

In fact they actually went to lengths to explain why Bane is so terribly stupid in Rocksteadys as opposed to y'now, just making him stupid.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@Cwagmire21 said:

entirely my thoughts too

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Im glad people are saying its a decent game despite reviews. Will be a good buy in a year or so when its dirt cheap. lol. I knew the game wasnt going to be much different aside from story and how Batman himself played. Oh well. More time to address my backlog.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

They had a near impossible task topping the last two games. If you're a fan of the first two, than you should probably enjoy this one.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Gamesterpheonix said:

Im glad people are saying its a decent game despite reviews. Will be a good buy in a year or so when its dirt cheap. lol. I knew the game wasnt going to be much different aside from story and how Batman himself played. Oh well. More time to address my backlog.

Some "reviews" like Jim Sterlings seem to have made up there mind on it before it was released. Yes, it's not rocksteady, so what? It's still a dam good game.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

It's not as good as AA or AC but its still a good game. 7/10 for me. It actually feels like a step back from AC IMO. The new team definitely is not as talented as Rocksteady and it shows. Bugs and glitches here and there. Level design is the biggest problem with this game. Is it just me or is the camera a big problem this time around. I just went back to AC before this game released and never had a camera issue. In AO, especially indoors, I find myself constantly being screwed by the camera being punched in the back.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RevanBITW

Something that is understated about this new Batman game is the quality of the storytelling, it establishes the beginnings of the relationship between Batman and the Joker in a breathtaking way.

IAMTYLERDURDEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IAMTYLERDURDEN
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I'm really enjoying this as well. I don't understand how you can find fault with this game if you enjoyed Arkham City.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Story is really good, but the gameplay has not changed.... So if you liked the other games there is no reason you shouldn't like this one.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It's the weakest of the series, but at the same time it's a very strong series. The biggest problem is that it's very buggy compared to the first two which were very well polished.

-Byshop

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

I just finished it this morning, and I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

I'll likely start a New Game+ at some point.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Crap, this game got glitch/bug so not supporting 360 controller? my controller works perfect in Crysis 3 but not in batman:/

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RevanBITW

@aroxx_ab said:

Crap, this game got glitch/bug so not supporting 360 controller? my controller works perfect in Crysis 3 but not in batman:/

My Xbox controller works just fine with this game.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

@aroxx_ab said:

My Xbox controller works just fine with this game.

I looked at wbgames forum other people got the problem as well, hope they patch it soon. Playing this type of game with kb/M is just wrong:(

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

It's pretty decent, it's a rehash but if you liked the formula of the previous game you'll like this one, some reviewers are taking the opportunity to bash this game because it changed studios so they can say ''OH LOOK IT'S AN AAA GAME AND WE GAVE IT A LOW SCORE'' . WB Games Montreal just released a patch that fixed a troubling bug in a side quest, everything's okay now.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

@FaustArp said:

The problem is that, according to many game reviewers, they lacked creativity. It's a shame though that they can't see how games like Call of Duty lack creativity every year...

Murky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Murky2
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Not as good as the previous but it's not as bad as peeps say

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

No it is not all that bad, it is pretty much Batman: AC 2.0 and I enjoyed Batman AC more than the first game. I REALLY like the characters they brought for this game and also the origins story is interesting to. If you loved Batman AC then I am pretty sure MOST people will like this.

Far from perfect but it is a ton of fun. I agree with the Total Biscuit WTF video that he put it, sure it is not innovative but it is still alot of fun. Also the place where Adam Sessler does reviews for had a good review of it also that I agreed with. Total Biscuit was talking about why review scores are bad and I fully agree.

Also sure it is not innovative but it uses what worked for the previous ones but even then, why does this game get penalized for not being innovative yet games like COD, etc.. are the definition of not being innovative, yet sites still give them 8,9 and 10 each year without any good additions being made. Batman AC is one of my fav games this gen but it had much worse day one bugs than this does, atleast for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By uninspiredcup

Just saw the TV ad for this. Pretty good considering they had about 50 seconds to sell the game.

Loading Video...

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#50 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Preferred Mark Hamil's Joker voiceover, just seemed better than Origins Joker. Only other gripe I have with the game is the city. Doesn't seem to have that flair or characteristics that Arkham City had though I know that it's before they turn that area into a prison. Other than that, the same great combat and predator stuff along with a decent story. The new detective rewind thing is cool too.