Basic circuit theory help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
I was given an equation to draw a circuit "X Y Z (X + Y + Z) + ~X ~Y ~Z (X + Y + Z) + (~X + ~Y + ~Z) ~Z + X Z (Y + ~Z)=F" My initial design used 22 gates but I was told you could get creative and reduce the amount of gates. After enough tinkering I got it down to 2 NAND gates. The resulting equation from the 2 gate design is "~(Z ~(X Y))=F" The output from each circuit (results in truth table) is the same for both designs even though the equation and amount of gates is different. My question is, will both these designs essentially function the same? Or did I reduce it too much and change the core of its function?
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

LMAO.

This is a gaming forum not electrical engineering.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

looking for someone to do your homework. talk about pathetic.

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

jakes456
Do you get paid to be a smart ass in every thread ?
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

jakes456
Aw it's my favorite troll. If you would read you would see that I already made the design :( I'm asking about some basic theory.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

I was given an equation to draw a circuit "X Y Z (X + Y + Z) + ~X ~Y ~Z (X + Y + Z) + (~X + ~Y + ~Z) ~Z + X Z (Y + ~Z)=F" My initial design used 22 gates but I was told you could get creative and reduce the amount of gates. After enough tinkering I got it down to 2 NAND gates. The resulting equation from the 2 gate design is "~(Z ~(X Y))=F" The output from each circuit (results in truth table) is the same for both designs even though the equation and amount of gates is different. My question is, will both these designs essentially function the same? Or did I reduce it too much and change the core of its function? achilles614
I would help if i could, but -

3ogceg.jpg

eventually someone here will know im (along with many others) am not that person.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

ABC makes 123

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16515 Posts

[QUOTE="achilles614"]I was given an equation to draw a circuit "X Y Z (X + Y + Z) + ~X ~Y ~Z (X + Y + Z) + (~X + ~Y + ~Z) ~Z + X Z (Y + ~Z)=F" My initial design used 22 gates but I was told you could get creative and reduce the amount of gates. After enough tinkering I got it down to 2 NAND gates. The resulting equation from the 2 gate design is "~(Z ~(X Y))=F" The output from each circuit (results in truth table) is the same for both designs even though the equation and amount of gates is different. My question is, will both these designs essentially function the same? Or did I reduce it too much and change the core of its function? MW2ismygame

I would help if i could, but -

3ogceg.jpg

eventually someone here will know im (along with many others) am not that person.

+1

ahh gotta love forest gump

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
oh god flashbacks to the ECE class I had to take for CS.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Make a KMap for both and try it out. Or you can make a truth table for both of those equations and you can easily see if they are equivalent

Edit: I finished reading your post. Yes, you can make designs as complicated or simple as possible and they can be completely equivalent. It all depends on the input / output, everything inbetween doesnt matter. Meaning, if the truth tables match up, then they are equivalent. Look up KMaps, Kmaps allow you to take complex equations like the first one, and simplify them (reduce the number of logic gates) yet still have the same inputs / outputs

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Just remember resistance is futile

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

I'll help you a bit.

Yes if the truthtables are the same then it doesn't matter how the equation looks like. And you have a lot of unnecessary statements in the original function so it's obviously a school assignment :) ~X+X = 1, ~X*X = 0 which you obviously know already.

If you want to actually simulate circuits you make Siemes Logosoft is a nice application, the demo is free for the PC use itself, you just can't upload or download to/from a PLC module. I've made programs with it and installed on some places for controlling the lighting as an example.

*edits* for some reason the linking to the Logosoft application doesn't work but google it.