Bad Company 2 Drops SecuROM DRM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts

The Steam version of EA's Battlefield Bad Company 2 is about to get a new patch, and amidst the little tweaks and fixes is some welcome news: the game's SecuROM DRM software will also be uninstalled.

SecuROM has been a pain in the ass of every PC gamer since it first turned up a few years back, so every time it's rolled back should go down as a win for the little guy.

It's the latest in a series of moves by publisher EA, which has scaled back the influence of SecuROM in its PC games in recent months following the disastrous launch of Spore. Dragon Age never had it, Mass Effect's was removed, and now this.

Note, however, this applies only to the Steam version of the game. Guess EA felt Steam's own authentication routines were good enough.

Good News for Steam Users ! :)

Source

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Now only if they would remove it from the retail version I would be more motivated to spring out to a store and buy it.

akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 akbar13
Member since 2009 • 2186 Posts

The Steam version of EA's Battlefield Bad Company 2 is about to get a new patch, and amidst the little tweaks and fixes is some welcome news: the game's SecuROM DRM software will also be uninstalled.

SecuROM has been a pain in the ass of every PC gamer since it first turned up a few years back, so every time it's rolled back should go down as a win for the little guy.

It's the latest in a series of moves by publisher EA, which has scaled back the influence of SecuROM in its PC games in recent months following the disastrous launch of Spore. Dragon Age never had it, Mass Effect's was removed, and now this.

Note, however, this applies only to the Steam version of the game. Guess EA felt Steam's own authentication routines were good enough.

Source

NoctisCaelum52
EA = Amazing.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
EA = Amazing.akbar13
Never thought I'd see the day... Anyways, cool I guess. Never noticed either way I guess so doesn't really effect me.
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="NoctisCaelum52"]

Source

akbar13

EA = Amazing.

They sure have been stepping up their game lately.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Bah and I literally just ordered it from Direct2Drive 5 minutes ago, oh well, still 35 Pounds over 50 Euro is a difference.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

[QUOTE="akbar13"]EA = Amazing.Renevent42
Never thought I'd see the day...

I feel you on that

They certainly have come a long way from being the most hated gaming company around good for them

And Good job EA taking a step forward to removing the menace of DRM

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="akbar13"]EA = Amazing.SaintJimmmy

I feel you on that

They certainly have come a long way from being the most hated gaming company around good for them

I wouldn't give them too much praise. From what I hear the new Command and Conquer game will use the same DRM as the new Ubisoft games. You know, the one that requires you to be connected to their servers at all times.

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintJimmmy"]

[QUOTE="Renevent42"] Never thought I'd see the day... PublicNuisance

I feel you on that

I wouldn't give them too much praise. From what I hear the new Command and Conquer game will use the same DRM as the new Ubisoft games. You know, the one that requires you to be connected to their servers at all times.

No more than Starcraft 2 from what I understand. Ubi still holds the gold medal for complete DRM screw-upperies.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

[QUOTE="SaintJimmmy"]

I feel you on that

carlosjuero

No more than Starcraft 2 from what I understand. Ubi still holds the gold medal for complete DRM screw-upperies.

So EA should get praise because they are not the only company screwing us over ? That's setting the bar kind of low.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

EA are turning into heros for the PC - they look at what other developers are doing to piss off us PC gamers, then they make sure not to do that. Hopefully their games sell really well and other devs follow suit.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PublicNuisance

EA are turning into heros for the PC - they look at what other developers are doing to piss off us PC gamers, then they make sure not to do that. Hopefully their games sell really well and other devs follow suit.

with_teeth26

Wow, has it gotten so bad that the heroes of PC gaming are using Securom and also requiring constant server conntections ?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 with_teeth26

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

PublicNuisance

Wow, has it gotten so bad that the heroes of PC gaming are using Securom and also requiring constant server conntections ?

Were talking about EA here, not Ubisoft. Ubi is making more and more extreme DRM's while EA removes them.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

with_teeth26

Were talking about EA here, not Ubisoft. Ubi is making more and more extreme DRM's while EA removes them.

1. EA only removed it from STEAM VERSION, the securom in retail versions are still there.

2. Steam itself is DRM so they're not fully removing it even from steam versions.

3. They are using that dreaded Ubi DRM in C&C 4.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

At least C&C4 has some features that justify the permanent connection. EA tried something new with that game - the experiment failed, but they had good intentions.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="akbar13"]EA = Amazing.SaintJimmmy

I feel you on that

That's not really what I meant... EA hasn't really done much different in reality, and they have been bashed for tons of other than that. They have been the "villian" of PC gaming for quite some time...mostly bandwagon hate stuff. And almost overnight all the sudden they are amazing :lol: Man...gamers are so fickle.
carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 carlosjuero

[QUOTE="carlosjuero"][QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

PublicNuisance

So EA should get praise because they are not the only company screwing us over ? That's setting the bar kind of low.

Did I say that? No. I merely pointed out that C&C 4 DRM will be akin to Blizzard's Starcraft 2 'DRM' (they call it a 'feature' of Battle.net, but it boils down to DRM for me). I find it funny that people jump all over certain companies for some things, but ignore other companies that do similar things is all.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Don't forget to censor your words, dear author! :)
Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#19 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
I think what EA did for the retail was pretty nice, they offered us a choice: either online activation without the need of a disc to play or just use the disc to play. I opted for the online activation cause I'm lazy but choice is always a good thing! C&C4 DRM...well at least they TRY to justify it but the risk they took with the new gameplay just didn't pay off. I commend them for something new but they failed.
Avatar image for WufusRainwright
WufusRainwright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WufusRainwright
Member since 2010 • 225 Posts

Who even cares. My rig is for gaming, and gaming only. As long as the game works then I'm fine with it. Why should I care about Securom - it's never caused me any problems, and quite frankly it never will.

Yeah, let's talk ourselves out of not buying a game... blah blah blah.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 with_teeth26

3. They are using that dreaded Ubi DRM in C&C 4.

PublicNuisance

really? just another reason not to buy CnC 4 i guess.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

Note: Made a mistake with the quote my post starts below.:)

Painting with a pretty big brush I think. "SecuROM has been a pain in the ass of EVERY PC gamer sense it first turned up". I have never hada single problem with it. Such hyperbole is the tactic of a weak argument. But as Rand said "if we have irreconcilable differences check your premises".

Source

NoctisCaelum52

Avatar image for deactivated-60f7582dcaa79
deactivated-60f7582dcaa79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60f7582dcaa79
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts
I couldn't play this game online since release and I prepurchased a month and a half before hand. That is, until this patch yesterday. Don't know what was causing the problem but I cant say Im sad to see secuROM get ditched :)
carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 carlosjuero
[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

[QUOTE="carlosjuero"] No more than Starcraft 2 from what I understand. Ubi still holds the gold medal for complete DRM screw-upperies.carlosjuero

Did I say that? No. I merely pointed out that C&C 4 DRM will be akin to Blizzard's Starcraft 2 'DRM' (they call it a 'feature' of Battle.net, but it boils down to DRM for me). I find it funny that people jump all over certain companies for some things, but ignore other companies that do similar things is all.

Ok - the info I had was off, apparently you need a full time net connection for C&C 4 just like Ubi DRM games. I don't see alot of 'EA is the debil' posts though O.o. For those of you who thought like I did (that it didn't require online for every tidbit) I got a new article across my twitter feed today :/ - looks bad: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239583&site=pcg Guessing EA didn't notice the flak Ubi was getting? There was plenty of time since Ubis announcement and C&C 4 release to change the model I would think.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
They most likely already sent C&C 4 to factories to multiply it even before AC 2 was released and they most likely integrated it before Ubisoft announced that DRM but, there's a big but, C&C 4 actually needs internet unlike AC 2 since it has multiplayer.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

Now only if they would remove it from the retail version I would be more motivated to spring out to a store and buy it.

PublicNuisance
Yeah I got it from Impulse. Doh.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zomglolcats
They most likely already sent C&C 4 to factories to multiply it even before AC 2 was released and they most likely integrated it before Ubisoft announced that DRM but, there's a big but, C&C 4 actually needs internet unlike AC 2 since it has multiplayer.DanielDust
Yeah I don't really mind it at all in C&C4. The game can be played online, and they tried integrating the chat lobby even into single player between missions, so it feels more like a seamless online experience. You can unlock stuff in any game mode, even single player. So in that respect it is actually tolerable. And for everybody complaining about it in C&C4, doesn't Starcraft 2 basically work the same way with the new Battle.net? I'm not in beta so I don't exactly know, but it sounded awfully similar. Nobody really complains about that. But then, we're talking about Starcraft 2 and everybody and their mother wants to play that.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zomglolcats

[QUOTE="carlosjuero"][QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

carlosjuero

Ok - the info I had was off, apparently you need a full time net connection for C&C 4 just like Ubi DRM games. I don't see alot of 'EA is the debil' posts though O.o. For those of you who thought like I did (that it didn't require online for every tidbit) I got a new article across my twitter feed today :/ - looks bad: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239583&site=pcg Guessing EA didn't notice the flak Ubi was getting? There was plenty of time since Ubis announcement and C&C 4 release to change the model I would think.

It's more tolerable in C&C4 though because the game can be played online and they tried to integrate it to make a more seamless online experience, even for singleplayer. If EA starts putting that into strictly offline singleplayer games, then that will be just as annoying as Ubisoft.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

And for everybody complaining about it in C&C4, doesn't Starcraft 2 basically work the same way with the new Battle.net? I'm not in beta so I don't exactly know, but it sounded awfully similar. Nobody really complains about that. But then, we're talking about Starcraft 2 and everybody and their mother wants to play that.zomglolcats

The campaign can be played offline, but you miss the achievements, the various unlocks like new avatars and obviously the whole social networking component.