australia's government to hold hearing to end tech taxation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

tech taxation may come to an end fo aussies. a formal inquiry has been launched by aussie parliment to seek an end to the 60% tech and software tax aussies pay. apple and microsoft will both be in the same room tomorrow to try and give they two cents on the matter. australians pay alot more despite having a currency value identical to that of canada or the united states. this is being done in an attempt im improve their lanes of communication when it comes to importing goods

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/11/apple-microsoft-to-appear-before-parliamentary-australia-tax-hearing/

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Just wanna say, finally...

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts
I've heard about the ridiculous prices aussies pay because of taxes. What was it, like $1000 for a PS3 at launch? I've also heard stories of people buying gaming PC's at $3000 that I could get for $1000 in the States. Just goes to show you that government intervention in a free market is a bad thing. But hey, it's looking up for aussies. They finally got the R18 rating so gamers can be treated like adults, and now this.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
60% tax is a bit of an overkill. Why not reduce it to like 20% or 15?
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Will this extend to games and software as well, or just hardware? Cause Aussies spend too much for all of those things
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Will this extend to games and software as well, or just hardware? Cause Aussies spend too much for all of those thingsIantheone
ALL

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
well that is certainly good news for you guys.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts
About time!!!
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Wait a minute... How much is a Mac in Aus? OMG it must be a years wages or something! Anyway it's great for you Aus guys out there, now the UK will be the highest priced for tech. Oh goodie!
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I pay a regular 15% sales tax in my province (Canada) and it drives me nuts. I order from the U.S. as much as possible so that I don't have to pay any taxes. I would flip out if the government was robbing me like the Aussie govt is. You guys don't even have an escape like I do (the US).

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

I pay a regular 15% sales tax in my province (Canada) and it drives me nuts. I order from the U.S. as much as possible so that I don't have to pay any taxes. I would flip out if the government was robbing me like the Aussie govt is. You guys don't even have an escape like I do (the US).

Tezcatlipoca666
Where do you order from? I live in Canada too.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]Wait a minute... How much is a Mac in Aus? OMG it must be a years wages or something! Anyway it's great for you Aus guys out there, now the UK will be the highest priced for tech. Oh goodie!

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac It's natural for us to pay extra since we have to import the product from the States or Europe, but it's way excessive most of the time.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]Wait a minute... How much is a Mac in Aus? OMG it must be a years wages or something! Anyway it's great for you Aus guys out there, now the UK will be the highest priced for tech. Oh goodie!

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac It's natural for us to pay extra since we have to import the product from the States or Europe, but it's way excessive most of the time.

its not about importing anything. its about this. AUS  US  why are we paying an extra 1000$$ for the same software, delivered by the same method.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
^^ True, I totally forgot that Online Digital also has the price hike.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

why is there such a difference?  Australia is pretty close to china compared to North America, so shipping of most of these products shouldn't be an issue.

5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

why is there such a difference?  Australia is pretty close to china compared to North America, so shipping of most of these products shouldn't be an issue.

blaznwiipspman1

With most goverments its a blanket "tech" tax supossedly to improve internal marketing of locally produced products, and "force" people to buy national products to improve the economy.  They have the same tax in Brazil but it is slowly fulling and there is almost price equality here as well

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]Wait a minute... How much is a Mac in Aus? OMG it must be a years wages or something! Anyway it's great for you Aus guys out there, now the UK will be the highest priced for tech. Oh goodie!

You're forgetting Norway... Still cost more than UK. Other countries are also expensive.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
I thought this thing was forgotten a while ago, good to see that's not the case. Steam/Valve should get on board and put an end to their price gouging of Australian customers.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Good news, Some countries around the world have an insane price hike on things that don't need to be. Like digital software.

I am hopeful this helps to counter that somewhat.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darksusperia
Look at this Adobe snake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78yigV0GYGQ
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="darksusperia"]Look at this Adobe snake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78yigV0GYGQ

What a grub. Creative Cloud, Creative Cloud, Creative Cloud, Creative Cloud..... Didn't know whether to be frustrated, confused or amused.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darksusperia
[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="darksusperia"]Look at this Adobe snake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78yigV0GYGQ

What a grub. Creative Cloud, Creative Cloud, Creative Cloud, Creative Cloud..... Didn't know whether to be frustrated, confused or amused.

yep, just dodged the question. short version. if your not enterprise, we dont care.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="darksusperia"]Look at this Adobe snake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78yigV0GYGQdarksusperia

yep, just dodged the question. short version. if your not enterprise, we dont care.

WHAT A

dd

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I geniunely feel sorry for people in Australia. When I say the prices and how people still go out an build great rigs I just say wow that's dedication right there.  I salute you.  Whose dumb idea was it to have a technology tax anyway.    You are suppose to encourage innovation not tax it. smh.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

I geniunely feel sorry for people in Australia. When I say the prices and how people still go out an build great rigs I just say wow that's dedication right there.  I salute you.  Whose dumb idea was it to have a technology tax anyway.    You are suppose to encourage innovation not tax it. smh.

NFJSupreme
Totally agree. I'm currently weighing options to build my new rig. It's gonna cost around $2000-$2300AU. Will last me probably 4-5 years, so that's about $500 x year if you think about it.... but then I have to buy the games which are $80+
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darksusperia
[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

FelipeInside
Totally agree. I'm currently weighing options to build my new rig. It's gonna cost around $2000-$2300AU. Will last me probably 4-5 years, so that's about $500 x year if you think about it.... but then I have to buy the games which are $80+

wait for steam sale, buy in bulk, work alot, problem solved. I have so many games built up that Im yet to play.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

darksusperia

wait for steam sale, buy in bulk, work alot, problem solved. I have so many games built up that Im yet to play.

Yeah I sometimes buy on Steam Sales, but I'm a guy from the golden days....I like my Retail Box. They too go down in price of course. Some games I can wait for them to go down...others I want to play them at launch or else they get ruined either by people talking bad about them, or spoilers.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darksusperia
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Totally agree. I'm currently weighing options to build my new rig. It's gonna cost around $2000-$2300AU. Will last me probably 4-5 years, so that's about $500 x year if you think about it.... but then I have to buy the games which are $80+

Yeah I sometimes buy on Steam Sales, but I'm a guy from the golden days....I like my Retail Box. They too go down in price of course. Some games I can wait for them to go down...others I want to play them at launch or else they get ruined either by people talking bad about them, or spoilers.

just dont listen lol. I still havent got Crysis 3, I have tomb raider, installed, havent played it yet etc. all in good time. I have simcity installed to play with the missus but Im not playing until they fix the simulation which is completely broken atm. read the first 2 posts
aesir05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aesir05
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts

any updates on this?