ATI vs. Nvidia for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CMChotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CMChotmail
Member since 2008 • 103 Posts

Gone from gaming for years and about to build a new machine for Crysis/DragonAge/CoD4/etc.

Awhile back I seem to recall some various differences/advantages between ATI and Nvidia GPUs, other than just framerate-power.

Like only Nividia GPUs offered "PHYSX", which some games were designed to take extra advantage of and look better...

Is that stuff still going on, and if so, does it matter?

I'm most interested in Crysis, CoD4/2, and Battlefield2 - do any of those titles go better w/ either GPU brand?

Thanks.

-C

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

There isn't really any major benefit in going with one particular company. I say decide on a budget and with the help of various benchmarks see which card (irrespective of brand) is the best performer for that particular budget.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

id say this: what os are you running? vista or xp: nivida is the beter buy but they cost more. windows 7 ati has better offers for you my friend.

DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

id say this: what os are you running? vista or xp: nivida is the beter buy but they cost more. windows 7 ati has better offers for you my friend.

ionusX

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and a HIS 4890 for the last 2 years and I haven't encountered any issues...it runs flawless. The operating system should not have any affect on which make video card one uses. Though, the operating system may have some effect on running older games on Vista and certain games may run better on an ATi or Nvidia card.

*+

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
This thread will be fun. :)
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

Right now, ATI is the only game in town if you want DX11. Nvidia is coming out with Fermi, but there's no benchmarks yet on how fast it is and how hot it runs. There's also a question as to how expensive it'll be.

nevralgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nevralgo
Member since 2010 • 126 Posts
I'm a big ATi fan. At the moment ATi are on the top of the food chain, but history show us, that this is something temporary. nVIDIA always make a product, that's higher on performance and much higher on the price. ATi are good enough and much cheaper. Even if nVIDIA manages to pull something off yet again, I'd still go for ATi.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

This thread will be fun. :)SparkyProtocol

omg its jabba :O

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

DieselCat18

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and a HIS 4890 for the last 2 years and I haven't encountered any issues...it runs flawless. The operating system should not have any affect on which make video card one uses. Though, the operating system may have some effect on running older games on Vista and certain games may run better on an ATi or Nvidia card.

*+

Funny that the 4890 has be out for only a year now. But 2 years you say

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
It goes back and forth, right now I replaced my 8800GTX with an ATI 4890 for 165 bucks and can't really complain. It just comes down to how much money you are willing to spend on your graphics card.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

I'm typing this on a machine with an nVidia card in it, but I will say that ATi is currently top dog at pretty much every price point.

I would *definitely* buy ATi if I were in the market for a new video card right now.

yukilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yukilla
Member since 2003 • 240 Posts

They are mostly equal in gaming performance, with the only differences being cost.

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Gone from gaming for years and about to build a new machine for Crysis/DragonAge/CoD4/etc.

Awhile back I seem to recall some various differences/advantages between ATI and Nvidia GPUs, other than just framerate-power.

Like only Nividia GPUs offered "PHYSX", which some games were designed to take extra advantage of and look better...

I'm most interested in Crysis, CoD4/2, and Battlefield2 - do any of those titles go better w/ either GPU brand?

Thanks.

-C

CMChotmail

None of those titles employ Physx, and a DX11 card isn't necessary either at the moment. Between the ATI Radeon HD 4xxx series and the Nvidia Geforce GTX 2xx series, from a pure price vs. performance standpoint, ATI has the slight upper hand because they're cheaper. Otherwise, it doesn't really make a difference which brand you choose.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

if you're a crt owner, stay away from ati's 58xx cards

nothin but trouble when it comes to refresh rates

there might finally be an unoffical fix for it by editing your monitors .inf file or something along those lines, but im not quite sure

but i do know that ati hasnt done **** about it within their multiple driver updates

Avatar image for SLIisaownsystem
SLIisaownsystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SLIisaownsystem
Member since 2009 • 964 Posts

in the first view it looks like ATI has the better offer for everything. But there are certain things that ATI still lags like physx, cuda, broodforce, profiles, 3d vision and supersampling and the upcoming features like 32aa, 3d vision souround and c++.

CMChotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CMChotmail
Member since 2008 • 103 Posts
OK - cool - thanks guys. -C
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

Addict187

*+

It's been almost 2 years.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Thanks.

-C

CMChotmail

PhysX isn't dead yet, but it probably won't last a lot longer than any of the other attempts by the manufacturers to get a headlock on the market. Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason came out Q2 2009, and Batman: Arkham Asylum in Q3, and both use it. I can run Batman (the demo), but Cryostasis kicks my computer's ass even with an nVidia GTX 280. Wikipedia has a list of PhysX games in its article. Dragon Age: Origins is on there.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

[QUOTE="Addict187"]

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

*+

Phoenix534

It's been almost 2 years.

HD 4890 released 4/1/09. Just about 1 full year, almost there!

d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
My experience has always been that ATI has superior hardware but the drivers aren't very stable and nvidia has better and more stable drivers but more expensive hardware. That is while ATI gets better FPS it crashes more often than nvidia. Personally, I'd rather be able to play my games without worrying about crashes than get a few extra FPS.
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

Addict187

*+

I purchased a ASUS 4870 on 7/30/08 and upgraded that card to the HIS 4890 on 5/17/09...yes I have been running ATi cards on my current system for 1 year and 8 months with no issues. No I haven't had the 4890 for 2 years, but my system has been running ATi cards with Vista as the OS for that period of time with no, none, nada issues. The point I was making is that the performance of graphics card has nothing to do with the the OS being used. But that Vista does have problems with running certain older games.

*+

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
ATI has had the throne for non-dual gpu cards for awhile now.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
physx can run on the cpu just not as well, but unless you have a highend gpu physx wont run that great on the gpu. If you have a quad core cpu don't buy nvidia just for physx. I really depends on your budget and sometimes one is better sometimes the other is better depending on how much you want to spend.