ATI is getting physx....right?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

citizen-zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 citizen-zero
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
Is it? This is the only reason why I can't decide between 4870 and 260.............
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

Is it? This is the only reason why I can't decide between 4870 and 260.............citizen-zero

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-ati,5764.html

Nvidia has also brought the guys that made the modified drivers to help them work with ATI. I know it doesnt make sense to help out the enemy but who knows.

stopchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 stopchris
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts
They want to own the physics market. The best way to do that is to make it the standard for you competition as well as your own company. This is a no brainer opportunity for Nvidia from a business prospective.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

They want to own the physics market. The best way to do that is to make it the standard for you competition as well as your own company. This is a no brainer opportunity for Nvidia from a business prospective. stopchris

Yeah as soon as ATI cards support PhysX, Nvidia will drop ATI like a sack of rocks then rocket forward to steal the PhysX market. Since ATI cards now support PhysX, more games will come out and Nvidia will rack in the money because their card's PhysX will be months and months ahead of ATI's.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

Yeah as soon as ATI cards support PhysX, Nvidia will drop ATI like a sack of rocks then rocket forward to steal the PhysX market. Since ATI cards now support PhysX, more games will come out and Nvidia will rack in the money because their card's PhysX will be months and months ahead of ATI's.

Swiftstrike5

Assuming PhysX takes off over Havok that is.

IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IQT786
Member since 2005 • 2604 Posts
[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

RayvinAzn

ofcourse it will since nvidia sticks its hand in nearly every game with its meant to be played brand havok doesn't stand a chance

ROCKINGFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 ROCKINGFOOL
Member since 2005 • 1795 Posts
[QUOTE="RayvinAzn"][QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

IQT786

ofcourse it will since nvidia sticks its hand in nearly every game with its meant to be played brand havok doesn't stand a chance

theirs over 500 games that supports havok while physx i dont know the exact but surely it didnt pass 50 games

and btw havok is owned by intel .

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

IQT786

Havok:

Assassin's Creed

Battlefield: Bad Company

Bioshock

Company of Heroes

The Orange Box

Halo 2 & 3

Spore

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

And rumor has it that Blizzard is going to be using Havok for Starcraft 2 and Diablo III

Now let's see, PhysX:

Age of Empires III

Gears of War

Mass Effect

Unreal Tournament III

I'd say Havok has the upper hand right now, and given their generally more open nature I'd say they stand a very good chance of surviving the physics war, at least in the immediate future. Nvidia's TWIMTBP campaign is nothing more than advertising - very few games actually do any seriously in-depth optimizations with Nvidia products. Hell, Nvidia actually gets beat by ATI in a huge number of its own titles, and has ever since they started the campaign. It works because people are stupid and believe everything they read.

tautitan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 tautitan123
Member since 2005 • 391 Posts
I can see the standards running together for a while. I don't think they would merge, and I wouldn't want them too because that might stagnate the physics side of games.
IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IQT786
[QUOTE="IQT786"]

RayvinAzn

It works because people are stupid and believe everything they read.

thats 1 of many reasons why they will win

take lost planet as an example ati still cant get it to run properly on ati cards in dx10

i went with nvidia cos i had some major problems with the 2900xt and what piss me of was ati not doing much about it because they f'ed up on the hardware every driver that came out made it worse anyway next year we should be seeing nvidia get serious wiyh physx

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
[QUOTE="RayvinAzn"][QUOTE="IQT786"]

IQT786

It works because people are stupid and believe everything they read.

thats 1 of many reasons why they will win

take lost planet as an example ati still cant get it to run properly on ati cards in dx10

i went with nvidia cos i had some major problems with the 2900xt and what piss me of was ati not doing much about it because they f'ed up on the hardware every driver that came out made it worse anyway next year we should be seeing nvidia get serious wiyh physx

With SLI II big bang.

IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IQT786
the big bang 2 drivers are awesome 30% increase in dx10 games single card for 200 series and 20% for 8s and 9 series