Ati 3870X2 Problems :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aris669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aris669
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hello M8s :)

I just bought an ATI 3870X2 and made a little PC upgrade..

Whene I finally was finished with the Drivers I tried to play CRYSIS (Finaly :P)

Unforunetly the Game couldnt go more than 30 FPS in MEDIUM oO. (In the beginning I thought it was a Driver Issue)

I used All the ATI Drivers from 8.2 - 8.4 but it was still Crawling.

To test the hole performance I bought the 3D MArk Vantage and made a Test in Performance Settings.

Unforunetly I took a 3000 score :( It was crawling too)

I connected alone my Card with 2x6pin

Any Ideas ??? :D I am prety dipressed :P

My PC is

SAPPHIRE RADEON HD3870 Χ2 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E RETAIL

THERMALTAKE W0143 PUREPOWER RX 550W

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ DUAL CORE

2SATA RAID 120x2 WD Hard Discs

ABIT AN8-V MOTHERBORD

2GB DDR CROSSAIR RAM

And I Believe I have all the latest drivers for these :/

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I have the same video card. I don't get the greatest FPS either from it. But changing Catalyst AI to Advanced helps fps go from around 20 to up to 40 for me. Also I get the best FPS (35-40fps) using 64 bit windows xp and running crysis 64 bit exe. I tested running it in 64 bit in 64 bit vista, and it ran only 20 fps.

All my settings are on high. from all the benchmarks I've seen, it seems nvidia cards can run crysis slightly faster.

4 gigs of ram

intel e8400 2 core 3ghz

again... just make sure you tried running it with catalyst ai set to Advanced, it helps for crysis from the tests i've tried on it.

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
That CPU isnt the best. I imagine its bottlenecking you a little bit. And I hope you mean DDR2 ram.
Spybot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spybot_9
Member since 2008 • 2592 Posts

Your CPU is a HUGE bottleneck for the 3870X2.

And unfortunately the 2 applications you are trying to run,crysis and 3dmark vantage wont exactly run as good as you would like with a $400 video card.

pukmok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pukmok
Member since 2008 • 775 Posts
Well what did you expect with a dual gpu card. They dont exactly have the best drivers and wont for quite a while.
Aris669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Aris669

k then...

If I Overclock +400Hz the CPU

and ad the 8,4 drivers

you thing that this is going to give some Plus Fps ?

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I doubt overclocking will do anything... I haven't noticed any noticeable performance gain overclocking mine... I probably would if I cranked the fan speed up, but it'd be such a useless amount, I'm not going to punish myself with that.

Aris669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Aris669

so i am left with Buying a new CPU :/

Damn..

the Card costed 600+ Dollars in my country (380euros)

And with new CPU I ll need a new MOBO :(

DAMN

frosted210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 frosted210
Cpu is a bit slow but the drivers for that size of card are still not perfect no matter which ones you have. ATI still has a way to go in making good drivers for the 3800 series and higher cards, So there's still hope I know I'm having to wait too.....:cry:
Spybot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spybot_9
Member since 2008 • 2592 Posts

so i am left with Buying a new CPU :/

Damn..

the Card costed 600+ Dollars in my country (380euros)

And with new CPU I ll need a new MOBO :(

DAMN

Aris669

You should have done your research.

You really dont have to buy a 3870X2.There are much cheaper and better price\performance options available then that.

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

CPU is too slow.

Listen, you should've done some research prior to spending all that money on a new video card. Heck, you don't even have to do any hard research or anything. This situation can be related to real life:

Let's say you plan on joining a football team, but in your current physical shape you're not fit to play. Let's say that you don't have enough stamina and muscle build to join the team. Realising this, you head to the gym and decide to go on a heavy work out routine primarily based on building muscle mass.

Weeks later; you're all 'new and improved', and you decide to go for football tryouts. The coach notices that you've built up a lot of muscle, and so he offers you a position to come practise with the team (to see if you qualify).

...the training goes horribly wrong. All throughout training you were quite tired and out of breath, despite you being able to kick the football 70 metres with little effort. Even though the coach likes your strength to boot the ball for huge distances with great accuracy, he is forced to let you go as you were too slow and fatigued throughout play.

Do you see where I'm getting at here? Had you looked at the intial problem for you not being able to join the team (stamina and strength) and worked on BOTH instead of focusing on one aspect of the problem, you may have been able to join the team. We can say that in this situation: The lack of stamina bottlenecked your strength, and thus made your playing ability poor.

We can relate the balance between the GPU and CPU (as well as any other component in a PC) to this example as well. You need both a good GPU and CPU to be able to play games at enjoyable levels. There is absolutely no point in spending fortunes on a wickedly fast graphics card if your CPU is a piece of crap. Conversely, there's no point in spending heaps on a fast CPU if your GPU should've been recycled 12 months ago.

Balance is very important when deciding what to or what not to buy. That also applies to other things in life, not just PC's.

MajinFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MajinFix
Member since 2005 • 480 Posts
I suggest you to get some decent cooling and overclock your CPU, or upgrade if you are on AM2(+)
Aris669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aris669

CPU is too slow.

Listen, you should've done some research prior to spending all that money on a new video card. Heck, you don't even have to do any hard research or anything. This situation can be related to real life:

Let's say you plan on joining a football team, but in your current physical shape you're not fit to play. Let's say that you don't have enough stamina and muscle build to join the team. Realising this, you head to the gym and decide to go on a heavy work out routine primarily based on building muscle mass.

Weeks later; you're all 'new and improved', and you decide to go for football tryouts. The coach notices that you've built up a lot of muscle, and so he offers you a position to come practise with the team (to see if you qualify).

...the training goes horribly wrong. All throughout training you were quite tired and out of breath, despite you being able to kick the football 70 metres with little effort. Even though the coach likes your strength to boot the ball for huge distances with great accuracy, he is forced to let you go as you were too slow and fatigued throughout play.

Do you see where I'm getting at here? Had you looked at the intial problem for you not being able to join the team (stamina and strength) and worked on BOTH instead of focusing on one aspect of the problem, you may have been able to join the team. We can say that in this situation: The lack of stamina bottlenecked your strength, and thus made your playing ability poor.

We can relate the balance between the GPU and CPU (as well as any other component in a PC) to this example as well. You need both a good GPU and CPU to be able to play games at enjoyable levels. There is absolutely no point in spending fortunes on a wickedly fast graphics card if your CPU is a piece of crap. Conversely, there's no point in spending heaps on a fast CPU if your GPU should've been recycled 12 months ago.

Balance is very important when deciding what to or what not to buy. That also applies to other things in life, not just PC's.

Wesker776

U r from England m8 :P (or Thibet lol :P )

I managed to put +5fps by disabling the Firewall /Antivirus, and lowerd the Music Output from 92khz/24bit to 44kh16bit

I forgot to mension that I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

And I have a 32" LCD :/ So I am running all in 1360/768... (tha LCD plays only 2 Resolutions 1024 and this)

Tha strange is that Bioshock run like HELL.. Not even a frame loss.

and Asassins Creed goes pretty good. Around 30 fps with High and 1x Multisampling

spookizpimping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spookizpimping
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i have the same problem im getting crappy framerates etc.

running nvidia 680i motherboard, ocz 4gb platnium ram, intel duo 3.4gb ,cooler master 750w psu ati 3870x2.

i recently downgraded from nvidia 260 gtx graphics card, to ati 3870x2. i am so disapointed with the performance im running wow on on just under half gfx settings and only averaging around 35fps, on my 260gtx it was max and around 70-80fps. runnning crysis on the second lowist setings at only 15-20fps on 260 i could play crysis on max with 40-50 fps, i am also getting shader problems with the ati card anything above half way makes the screen flash. i dont know wtf is going on with this card please help

Â