At a dilemma if I should continue PC gaming for next gen.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Even though I'm mostly a PC gamer 90% of the time... I will say this:

One thing which consoles have had over PC games (at least during the last decade) was having physical copies and retaining most of their game ownership. Ever since PC gaming went from DVDs and skipped out blu-ray entirely for digital only... has made it harder to justify spending lots of money on rebuilds, only to be rewarded with games that you have no consumer control over. DRM-free is a small exception to this.

If these next gen systems can give us more options for choosing to run the games above 30FPS... then I might just consider skipping a PC rebuild on next gen.

Convince me otherwise.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

What kind of games do you play? are you a competitive one?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

Whether you buy a physical copy or digital, you are still only licensing the right to play the game. This shit doesn't bother me at all. Steam and other DRM platforms are not going anywhere. Even if you buy physical copies on console, you are still reliant on the platform holders for patches and licensing. This is a very lame excuse not to choose PC gaming.

I love digital distribution, cloud saves, etc.. It provides so much flexibility. All you have to do is log into your account and you can play your games anywhere.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Well, I've pretty much decided not to invest in next gen gaming much, Save maybe the Switch LITE, but only if Nindendo dosen't make a switch pro, and rebuilding my Ryzen 5 machine, which I'm be turning into a Ryzen 3 or a Core I3 quadcore machine if this replacement motherboard fails on me again and I have to buy another in a month or so. The main reason I'm so wary of investing much into the next gen is mostly due to micro-transactions and the other stuff the AAA gaming industry is doing to nickle and dime the customer out of every nano-penny they have. * Cough Nintendo using the Wii U to beta-test the Switch Cough *

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

While consoles can support 60FPS even now the issue is not the power its primarily up to the developer on what they target which is usually governed by the industry's hunger to have the most cutting edge graphics and with the knowledge that future consoles will support Ray Tracing its hard to see many developers go for a 60FPS output unless they absolutely must due to the genre of game they are developing but anything else that is AAA material will undoubtedly be 30FPS... With the obvious performance mode which will be on lower resolutions or settings.

Also the 5700/RTX 2060 Super level of GPU is not really 4K/60 material unless its Dauntless or Rainbow Six Siege level of graphics.

Ouji-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Ouji-San
Member since 2006 • 33 Posts

i have no issues with digital media considering ...its there forever (ish)

the selling price of your games of a physical version ...its shocking.. you pay maytbe 60$ for example but when you want to sell it you get rid of it for about 10-20$ its not even worth it ...hell maybe less

nikeswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nikeswoosh
Member since 2003 • 943 Posts

@Metallic_Bladehmmm idk y ur going thru mobos so much i had a msi b450 tomahawk and my stupid self.....long story fried the mobo and cpu.....but i got a new 2600 and a msi gaming plus and i have not had an issue wat so ever ....ive dabbled in console gaming but i alway come back to pc!!

Iloveqwop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Iloveqwop
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

PC gets the broadest selection... TBH if you need "convincing" you shouldnt even have a PC now. I am not joking dipsh*t.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@Metallic_Blade said:

If these next gen systems can give us more options for choosing to run the games above 30FPS... then I might just consider skipping a PC rebuild on next gen.

Won't happen especially at higher resolution. Best case scenario for the console is being the equavelent of a mid tier 2018 PC (not necessary a bad thing but this console isn't coming out till almost 2020).

CPU will be good (IPC wise) but its going to be at least 1-1.5ghz slower than the desktop counterpart, will lack hyperthreading, and the GPU due to heat/power restrictions will be limited (third party 2060 aka stock gtx 1080 level performance is literally the best you can hope for given the restrictions that they have to work with).

Like what @Grey_Eyed_Elf said, if your running some rainbow six seige level game then yeah 4k 60fps would be okay on it but expecting it on a first party title game in 2020 is wishful thinking

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Consoles hold half of your game hostage behind a subscription i.e. online play.

If you really want as many games and the same quality as on PC, you will have to get multiple consoles, so that starts to add up.

Also, consoles will never allow you to run games above 30fps. I bought a PS4 pro exactly for that: so I could get the option to play 1080/60 instead of 4K/30... and nope, after about a year games started reverting back to 30fps again, and I don't even get the option to play in 60 fps mode anymore :(

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@BassMan said:

Whether you buy a physical copy or digital, you are still only licensing the right to play the game. This shit doesn't bother me at all. Steam and other DRM platforms are not going anywhere. Even if you buy physical copies on console, you are still reliant on the platform holders for patches and licensing. This is a very lame excuse not to choose PC gaming.

I love digital distribution, cloud saves, etc.. It provides so much flexibility. All you have to do is log into your account and you can play your games anywhere.

this. having some plastic to go along with your game license doesn't change anything, just more garbage for the landfill that serves no real purpose

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:
@BassMan said:

this. having some plastic to go along with your game license doesn't change anything, just more garbage for the landfill that serves no real purpose

I think TC should take it a step further. He should give up on email and only operate with physical mail. That way he could 'own' all those pieces of paper. But, would he really own that paper or would he just be licensing someone's thoughts? LOL ;)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

As others have said, you don't own the games on other platforms either. Indeed, DRM servers get cut and the games stop "working".

Frankly, the closest you can get to owning a game IS on PC. GoG's DRM-free titles may not have a meaningless plastic disc, but nobody's got a switch on the other end that they can flick if they think the game isn't earning them enough to keep the servers going or if their company goes out of business.

But - why should you demand anyone to convince you? That doesn't seem right - it's not our job to sell PC to you. You want to scrap it, that's your choice. Hope you enjoy gaming one way or another - I don't care what platform you do it on

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 burntbyhellfire
Member since 2019 • 789 Posts

i'd stay on PC.. i was a console gamer ever since i was like 4, on the old atari and NES consoles up until 2013 when i abruptly quit.. i was facing the release of the xbox one and PS4, and xbox was doing some crap people didnt like and i was faced with the decision of spending $600 (launch price) of one of the consoles, or put that money into a PC.. for the same price as a PS4, i built a PC that allowed me to play more games on higher resolution with better graphics and higher frames and to this day STILL plays games on considerably higher settings than current gen consoles... all for the same price.. and the PC i just build a couple months ago will beat out and out last the next generation consoles to come out.. not to mention the ability to upgrade as i see fit

stick with PC, PC is the master race

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

My son has a Play Station four and he is out of space for additional games. He doesn't have that many games. His computer has more games with plenty of space available. His computer has only 1TB of space. Space could be an issue.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

stick to pc gaming, because whatever custom chips amd is designing now for console, by the time these are released, they will have some thing better for pc.

you do have control over your games on pc. as for physical consoles are now switching to digital, besides game pass eliminates most of the firewall between consoles and pc.