Asus A8N5X motherboard fan failure

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BobaFett118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BobaFett118
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

Okay so my fan on this mobo just died recently. I ordered a new one, but while im waiting for it, is it safe to turn on the computer and get some files or should I just wait for the replacement?

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

Okay so my fan on this mobo just died recently. I ordered a new one, but while im waiting for it, is it safe to turn on the computer and get some files or should I just wait for the replacement?

BobaFett118
If you've got a decent amount of airflow I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't do any CPU intensive tasks that might heatup the chipset pretty good. If you've got a monitoring program, just makes sure it doesn't get over 60C. It's an ASUS board so PC Probe II should work with it.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Are you talking about the heatsink fan that's on top of your cpu?..If it is..then- wait for the replacement.

BobaFett118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BobaFett118
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

No, it's not the heatsink....I originally thought the problem was the heatsink so I replaced it today only to realize that it's the chipset fan.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

Are you talking about the heatsink fan that's on top of your cpu?..If it is..then- wait for the replacement.

--Anna--
I looked up his board, there is a little chipset fan on what I'm assuming is the northbridge (It's a mATX so the placement is a little funny). However it looked pretty small, still had a sink on it. As far as I know most chipsets don't require more cooling than just a sink so I think he'll be fine as long as he monitors his temps and isn't stressing the system too hard.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

[QUOTE="--Anna--"]

Marfoo

I looked up his board, there is a little chipset fan on what I'm assuming is the northbridge (It's a mATX so the placement is a little funny). However it looked pretty small, still had a sink on it. As far as I know most chipsets don't require more cooling than just a sink so I think he'll be fine as long as he monitors his temps and isn't stressing the system too hard.

O.K. I agree with you..it would be o.k. to use the computer..just check the temps now and then. Cheers