Arrogance and ignorance has ruined most of the online communities.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 NinthFall
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts
My opinion is based on a wide range of online games all the way from old school mmorpg like Tibia to a new school mmorpg like Guild Wars 2. As well as newest installment of Call of Duty and Counter-Strike since the 1.6 version. People are much more arrogant these days. If they are "good", they will not encourage newbies nor help them, they will simply insult them and basicly let their arrogance shine. No moral at all. My latest experience was on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. I've played it for 28 hours in total (says my steam account), joined a match today. It was going fine, teams were pretty even and no cheaters were around. There's this guy in our team who starts telling everyone where to go, fine, it's a good to have someone command. Suddenly he starts insulting everyone who does a mistake, yelling on the mic "you all suck, how can u be so bad", etc. We weren't really whining back, thought we'd let him whine in peace. Well then one of us missclicked and hit him on the feet, he simply just killed that guy off, didn't even accept the apology. This guy kept bitching about how bad we were through the whole game, even though it was pretty even all the way through. Such arrogance has grown, a lot in the recent years. I don't know what's happening around, but how come all of a sudden kids lost respect, ignored all the basic "gentleman" rules and simply just behave cocky. It's not fun for anyone. And after all, we're playing games, supposed to be fun right?
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

My opinion is based on a wide range of online games all the way from old school mmorpg like Tibia to a new school mmorpg like Guild Wars 2. As well as newest installment of Call of Duty and Counter-Strike since the 1.6 version. People are much more arrogant these days. If they are "good", they will not encourage newbies nor help them, they will simply insult them and basicly let their arrogance shine. No moral at all. My latest experience was on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. I've played it for 28 hours in total (says my steam account), joined a match today. It was going fine, teams were pretty even and no cheaters were around. There's this guy in our team who starts telling everyone where to go, fine, it's a good to have someone command. Suddenly he starts insulting everyone who does a mistake, yelling on the mic "you all suck, how can u be so bad", etc. We weren't really whining back, thought we'd let him whine in peace. Well then one of us missclicked and hit him on the feet, he simply just killed that guy off, didn't even accept the apology. This guy kept bitching about how bad we were through the whole game, even though it was pretty even all the way through. Such arrogance has grown, a lot in the recent years. I don't know what's happening around, but how come all of a sudden kids lost respect, ignored all the basic "gentleman" rules and simply just behave cocky. It's not fun for anyone. And after all, we're playing games, supposed to be fun right?NinthFall

Soceity in general is going downhill. No one wants to help someone else and few know how to try to win graciously.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
Yeah once online gaming became more popular you're bound to get the more "I'm better than everybody so I'm going to tell them all that they suck because I'm good at this game and all the ladies want me". That and they can say what they want and pretty much get away with it, it's kind of like you walking down the street and someone yelling idiotic things at you while they are driving away because you can't catch up with them.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Welcome to the internet. Disable public voice chat in all games, and enjoy your stay.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#5 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

MMO communities are so bad now, even the pay to play ones can be bad but the f2p are absurd. I remember when you used to be able to roll on a rp server to escape the morons, can't even do that anymore.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

yea its how ppl act in the internet in general...

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NinthFall

MMO communities are so bad now, even the pay to play ones can be bad but the f2p are absurd. I remember when you used to be able to roll on a rp server to escape the morons, can't even do that anymore.

vfibsux
Agreed. It's hard to find a game where you can kinda just hang out with "cool" people, since it's more or less like the annoying, arrogant, cocky kids are the majority in nearly every game we play today.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

there's these things called gaming communities....people who rent their own servers and forums, etc.  Look into 'em

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

boo hoo

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NinthFall

boo hoo

lostrib
Well that explains your postcount.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
yes, it's called disabling voice or muting him the end
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

My opinion is based on a wide range of online games all the way from old school mmorpg like Tibia to a new school mmorpg like Guild Wars 2. As well as newest installment of Call of Duty and Counter-Strike since the 1.6 version. People are much more arrogant these days. If they are "good", they will not encourage newbies nor help them, they will simply insult them and basicly let their arrogance shine. No moral at all. My latest experience was on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. I've played it for 28 hours in total (says my steam account), joined a match today. It was going fine, teams were pretty even and no cheaters were around. There's this guy in our team who starts telling everyone where to go, fine, it's a good to have someone command. Suddenly he starts insulting everyone who does a mistake, yelling on the mic "you all suck, how can u be so bad", etc. We weren't really whining back, thought we'd let him whine in peace. Well then one of us missclicked and hit him on the feet, he simply just killed that guy off, didn't even accept the apology. This guy kept bitching about how bad we were through the whole game, even though it was pretty even all the way through. Such arrogance has grown, a lot in the recent years. I don't know what's happening around, but how come all of a sudden kids lost respect, ignored all the basic "gentleman" rules and simply just behave cocky. It's not fun for anyone. And after all, we're playing games, supposed to be fun right?NinthFall
Think about it this way: The kid probably sees failure everywhere he goes so Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is his only chance to shine, thus he believes he can insult the "commoners" in his own little kingdom. Let him at least have that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
That stuff has been around for as long as internet multiplayer has been.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vfibsux

boo hoo

lostrib
Yep, here you go. I call it cool kid syndrome, it's cool to troll, insult, berate, and in general cause misery to others over the internet. Thank you for providing us with an excellent example of why we hate the current online community. Now go play in traffic.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

boo hoo

vfibsux

Yep, here you go. I call it cool kid syndrome, it's cool to troll, insult, berate, and in general cause misery to others over the internet. Thank you for providing us with an excellent example of why we hate the current online community. Now go play in traffic.

Sorry, I misspoke.

I meant:

Boo Hoo :cry:

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib

Actually GW2 community is pretty good

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

boo hoo

vfibsux

wanting to rage quit a game b/c some guy is sperging out is silly

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Maybe you should stop focusing on that one guy clamoring for attention because you seemed to have forgotten that the rest of your team wasn't raging.

These kind of discussions people always seem to overlook the fact that for every dozen players they encounter that simply didn't say anything or just said gg at the end they'll decide that the one single moron gets to set the tone for the match.

You weren't raging and neither was the rest of your team. Why no one had the idea to simply mute him is beyond me.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NinthFall
Some guys on this topic proved an awesome example of the kind of ruined community around the internet we have today. It's sad, but true. I guess the best we can do is just bare them. Truth is, time changes so fast, some change with it, some don't. I'm one of those who didn't change and it's a pain in the ass, trying to get along with these cocky kids, but so far I'm still alive.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Some guys on this topic proved an awesome example of the kind of ruined community around the internet we have today. It's sad, but true. I guess the best we can do is just bare them. Truth is, time changes so fast, some change with it, some don't. I'm one of those who didn't change and it's a pain in the ass, trying to get along with these cocky kids, but so far I'm still alive.NinthFall

Use the mute function or play on servers. You cannot change people and there's nothing to gain by complaining about it.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NinthFall

[QUOTE="NinthFall"]Some guys on this topic proved an awesome example of the kind of ruined community around the internet we have today. It's sad, but true. I guess the best we can do is just bare them. Truth is, time changes so fast, some change with it, some don't. I'm one of those who didn't change and it's a pain in the ass, trying to get along with these cocky kids, but so far I'm still alive.whiskeystrike

Use the mute function or play on servers. You cannot change people and there's nothing to gain by complaining about it.

This isn't really about complaining about them. This is merely about discussing about the changes of the community around us.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

NinthFall
Agreed. It's hard to find a game where you can kinda just hang out with "cool" people, since it's more or less like the annoying, arrogant, cocky kids are the majority in nearly every game we play today.

Or you're over run by Russians that don't know how to play the game, but somehow think they know it all. I'm looking at you Dota 2 :( On a funny note, I was playing Payday 2 the other day with a friend and ask him to drop an ammo bag. The 2 other people who were playing both decided to take the ammo and leave me with none. One of them then stated the I was a noob for not having an ammo bag and that I needed to learn to play. Flabbergasted by this obscure statement I waited till the end of the mission after all the cash was in the van, I then jumped around abit. I then followed this by a kick, the rude basted should not annoy the host, all he achieved was wasting 20+ minuets :)
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

boo hoo

vfibsux

every one of your posts in these boards is to berate someone else or complain how people aren't like you...maybe you should take your own advice or look into a mirror.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Welcome to the internet. Disable public voice chat in all games, and enjoy your stay.

Emraldo

This.

there's these things called gaming communities....people who rent their own servers and forums, etc.  Look into 'em

wis3boi

And this.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi

Maybe you should stop focusing on that one guy clamoring for attention because you seemed to have forgotten that the rest of your team wasn't raging.

These kind of discussions people always seem to overlook the fact that for every dozen players they encounter that simply didn't say anything or just said gg at the end they'll decide that the one single moron gets to set the tone for the match.

You weren't raging and neither was the rest of your team. Why no one had the idea to simply mute him is beyond me.

whiskeystrike

some people secretly love to have something to cry about.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts
Welcome to internet gaming. It's getting worse simply because it has grown vastly in popularity in the past decade. As more people have access to better PCs and headsets, you're going to get this type of attitude. Also let's not forget that the video game population is largely dominated by teens, thus explaining the lack of maturity. This is particularly prevalent in shooters and mmorpgs.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Welcome to internet gaming. It's getting worse simply because it has grown vastly in popularity in the past decade. As more people have access to better PCs and headsets, you're going to get this type of attitude. Also let's not forget that the video game population is largely dominated by teens, thus explaining the lack of maturity. This is particularly prevalent in shooters and mmorpgs.Zoso813

All truth. People need to just realize that there's not actually any "problem". Mute people who annoy you, then move on with life and stop caring that those people exist. Nothing is "ruined". There's no "issue" that needs addressing, or even discussing. If you think there is, it's because  you're  making a fuss out of a non-issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

Gaming and people in gernal went down hill since  360/ps3 arrived on the scene.

It made adult gaming accessble to children and generally thick/ignorant folk.

I far enjoyed the old days of gaming than i do now, i miss having a game without worrying about stats etc.

Look at BF3 forums, it is horrendous, people will judge you by stats, and guess what, the people who generally do this are bad at the game, stat pad, or just make 1 good game that creates over the top stats, then show boat the community being an asshole.

Really does my skull in.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
When people can hide behind the anonymity/mask of the internet, 99% they will choose to be dicks rather than friendly. Meet or play a game with someone in person, whole different story.
Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

This is one of the main reasons I don't do online multiplayer very often.  

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Not so much about arrogance or ignorance but rather the "anonymity shield" on the internet syndrome. People realised they can get away with doing or saying things on the net that they just wouldn't in real life and they all go ape**** about that discovery.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

boo hoo

wis3boi

every one of your posts in these boards is to berate someone else or complain how people aren't like you...maybe you should take your own advice or look into a mirror.

ROFL, right dude. Link it all or shut up. The only time I have berated people here is when they bring politics to this board, esp the anti-American crowd. Damn right I will berate that. Link something where I berated someone over a game. I am typically defending myself from people like you who talk this kind of crap without anything to back it up. 

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

boo hoo

JigglyWiggly_

Who said anything about quitting the game or genre?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] Yep, here you go. I call it cool kid syndrome, it's cool to troll, insult, berate, and in general cause misery to others over the internet. Thank you for providing us with an excellent example of why we hate the current online community. Now go play in traffic.vfibsux

Who said anything about quitting the game or genre?

he seems very upset that some guy is whining, so upset that he had to create a thread.

people whine in any game. It's pretty cute to see some guy getting mad ingame cause they're rly bad(aka all of xbox live, all of tf2, and all of cs go)

although they usually just try to hackuse you and try to get you banned these days