Arma 2: Graphics troubleshooting

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SIF4EVER
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hi everyone. I just bought Arma 2, and I'm experiencing major problems with the graphics. It was bought over Steam BTW. It seems as if the color saturation are totally wrong. I have uploaded a few pics, which can be seen here: http://peecee.dk/upload/view/178779 http://peecee.dk/upload/view/178780 http://peecee.dk/upload/view/178781 http://peecee.dk/upload/view/178782 http://peecee.dk/upload/view/178783 Sorry for the poor image quality, but i haven't been able to take in-game screenies after installing Win 7 RC1, so i had to use a regular digital camera. My specs are the following: CPU: AMD Phenom II 940 3.0 GHZ quad-core GFX: Ati Radeon 4890 1 GB of dedicated memory Ram: DDR2 1066 mhz Kingston value ram CL5 OS: Windows 7 RC1 If you need more specs, just ask. I'm using the latest Catalyst 9.6 driver, but I had the same problem in the demo, and at that time, I was using 8.612 driver, you know, the WHQL certified one, and I had the same problem at that time. Has anyone got any ideas, regarding to fixing this issue? Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance. Sorry for eventual grammer problems, I'm a foreigner.
SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SIF4EVER
Hmmm, almost 4 hours and no replies. Aren't there anyone who has had the same problem as me?
Krayzie_3334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Krayzie_3334
Member since 2006 • 1303 Posts

Not sure what it could be, not sure if it could be Driver Problem if you've used two different Driver, Or it could be something gone wrong when installing Win7, I'm using it right now and ArmA II is Running Fine here (Steam version as well), Make sure DirectX is fully up to date.

I've never seen the Problem before So I don't know how to fix it So I'm not much help on this part.:P

-

Right Click ArmA II go into Properties, than click the [Verify ...Blah,Blah,blah...] Button in steam to make sure everything got downloaded or whatever.

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Most likely Windows 7...
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I didn't have any major problem with ARMA 2 graphics...
SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SIF4EVER

Not sure what it could be, not sure if it could be Driver Problem if you've used two different Driver, Or it could be something gone wrong when installing Win7, I'm using it right now and ArmA II is Running Fine here (Steam version as well), Make sure DirectX is fully up to date.

I've never seen the Problem before So I don't know how to fix it So I'm not much help on this part.:P

-

Right Click ArmA II go into Properties, than click the [Verify ...Blah,Blah,blah...] Button in steam to make sure everything got downloaded or whatever.

Krayzie_3334
I doubt that it is a driver problem. As I said, I had the 8.612 driver when i downloaded the demo from steam, and at that point, I had the same problem. I've recently formatted my harddrive, due too some nasty spyware, so I've also done a clean install of Win7, since I downloaded the demo. Ofcourse, it could still be a driver problem, but then the problem would be on both drivers, which normally isn't the case. I've just used the built-in Direct X Diagnostic tool, and it confirms, that i'm using DX 10.1 I'm wondering, could my screen be the problem? I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD, and I can see in dxdiag that the "current display mode" is set to: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59 Hz) I'm also suspecting that the anti-virus is the culprit. I'm running the beta version of Kaspersky for Win7. I've enabled training mode, but i don't think I've blocked anything that could prevent the game from working properly. Arma 2 is BTW fully patched.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
If your other games don't look this way, I don't see how your screen could be the problem. Also, I've never heard of a antivirus causing that to happen. I would download the latest updates of DirectX, re-install your drivers properly (by that I mean uninstall them, restart, install the latest, restart). I would also check to see if the game is corrupted. You can do this in steam by right clicking on the game icon in steam and then going properties, select integrity scanner.
SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SIF4EVER
If your other games don't look this way, I don't see how your screen could be the problem. Also, I've never heard of a antivirus causing that to happen. I would download the latest updates of DirectX, re-install your drivers properly (by that I mean uninstall them, restart, install the latest, restart). I would also check to see if the game is corrupted. You can do this in steam by right clicking on the game icon in steam and then going properties, select integrity scanner.Gooeykat
I should be running the latest DX version, but do you mean that I can update directx, without updating to a latter or earlier version? As I said, I'm currently running DX10.1, the latest version of DirectX. I tried checking if the game were corrupted. Apparently, it wasn't. The drivers have been installed properly. As aforementioned, I've just formatted my hard drive, and then installed this driver. So it should have been installed properly.
MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrUnSavory1
Member since 2005 • 777 Posts

Try going to Microsofts web site and doing a reinstall on DirectX from their site. I know 2 people who had a problem with DirectX drivers in Windows 7 with this game and reinstalling it from Microsofts web site fixed it.

SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SIF4EVER

Try going to Microsofts web site and doing a reinstall on DirectX from their site. I know 2 people who had a problem with DirectX drivers in Windows 7 with this game and reinstalling it from Microsofts web site fixed it.

MrUnSavory1
Thanks, I'll try that.
SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SIF4EVER
unfortunately, that didn't work:( Anyone else got any ideas?
SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SIF4EVER
Problem hasn't been solved yet. Help is still needed. Thanks in advance.
Krayzie_3334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Krayzie_3334
Member since 2006 • 1303 Posts

I doubt it's Windows 7 I'm running it right now as my Main OS and ArmA II isn't giving me any problems, I installed Steam and ArmA II on my laptop with Win7 on it although it can't run it worth a crap It still doesn't have this problem.:P

-

Download the Latest DirectX Redlist, I seen you already did this but I'm just making sure.;)

Try a different Driver Set Download and use Driver Sweeper, to make sure that your Driver set now is completely gone and so you can install a Fresh Driver Set. I'm using a Nvidia Graphic Card so I don't know whats a good Driver set with ATI cards at the moment.

If neither of theses work then I don't know what else.., I recommend Asking for help on BI's Forum ArmA 2 - TROUBLESHOOTING,

goldenmessia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goldenmessia
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i have a similar problem, but almost nothing renders properly. tree's are square, window screens look like tv static. nothing has texture. i've updated all the drivers and the game uni stalled and re installed nothing seems to work. please help!!!!!!!!!!
goldenmessia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 goldenmessia
no infarct it is the same but to a more extreme degree http://peecee.dk/upload/view/178780 if you looks at the shrubs in that they apear the same in my game. also the guy who trains your on the helicopter boot camp mission is silver on mine.
goldenmessia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 goldenmessia
if youve got 8gb ram pull some out mine works at 4gb now trying 6
goldenmessia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 goldenmessia
6gb works
goldenmessia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 goldenmessia
hahhaha type -winxp in the target of the shortcut. after the .exe" with 8gb it works
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
hahhaha type -winxp in the target of the shortcut. after the .exe" with 8gb it worksgoldenmessia
Sweet, thanks. That was really bugging me and making the game unplayable. Playing without textures was like using a VR machine from the 90's or something.
TimO_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 TimO_basic
Member since 2002 • 65 Posts

Most likely Windows 7... Shadowhawk000

I don't know what the problem is, but I know its not this. I'm running it fine under 7.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MyopicCanadian

Well so far it seems like a problem if you have 8 GB of RAM.. although with that command line trigger now I'm not so sure if the game is able to use all of my available memory in xp compatibility mode (assuming that's what the trigger is). If anything could use that much RAM, I'm sure it would be Arma

SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SIF4EVER
hahhaha type -winxp in the target of the shortcut. after the .exe" with 8gb it worksgoldenmessia
Hmm, that didn't solve my problem. I'll try posting the shortcut's properties: Target Type: Application Target Location: Steam Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -winxp -applaunch 33910 Start In: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" Ofcourse, there are more options under properties, I've just posted I found most relevant, if you need any more, feel free to ask. I'm only able to edit the two last ones. And as you can see, I've edited "target" as you said. Have I done anything wrong? Should i change something in compatibility mode? I'm not able to remove some RAM, seeing as I then will lose the guarantee on the pc. BTW, is your version bought on Steam or in a store?
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MyopicCanadian

Right click on Arma 2 in your Steam games menu, Properties, Set Launch Options, and add -winxp there ... I can't say for sure if it would work the way you were doin it.

SIF4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SIF4EVER
That did the trick:) Thank you guys for the super awesome help:)
goldenmessia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 goldenmessia
i know dude. i almost returned it, but a video on you tube and an hour later had it fixed .
EchoBeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EchoBeam
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Just posting a thanks because this fixed the same exact problem I had with the game. I was getting these really wacky blocky textures on windows vista, with 8 gigs of ram. After using -winxp the games graphics look normal and I can run it just fine.
slpnot4999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 slpnot4999
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I am just writing to confirm that this is the fix, I personally had 8 gigs of ram on Vista x64 and had practically no rendering of over 90% of pixels, I simply right clicked properties added this simple line into the target command and it worked, THANKS AGAIN!!!
dforeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dforeigner
Member since 2009 • 144 Posts

Yeah, this worked for me as well. Thanks a lot guys for sharing.

phaertes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 phaertes
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Just put Windows 7 on and bought this game and had the same issue. The command line tweak fixed it. Thanks so much!