Are there any fairly new and good dungeon/rpg games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tapty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tapty
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts

Hi, I'm new to this genre, i was just wondering if there are any good new dungeon rpg kinds game, it doesnt have to be too new, im new to the genre and i just wanted to know what you guys would advise playing. I heard that the deamon's soul for ps3 is a gud game for this genre, but i want something for my PC. Thanks in advance

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
Torchlight comes to mind. Highly mod able, a lot like Diablo if you've ever played either one. If you haven't Diablo II is a definite buy, but it is older.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25760 Posts

good dungeon crawlers.. mm alien shooter series, torchlight, and fate all come to mind. as does diablo 1 & 2, NoX & if your willing to invest some time ive been told over and voer that dungeons of dredmor is good despite being ridiculously hard

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
I heard good things about Dungeons of Dredmor... it just popped up on Steam.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
I heard good things about Dungeons of Dredmor... it just popped up on Steam.MyopicCanadian
I'll vouch for Dungeons of Dredmor. Its pretty fun, but its a rogue like, meaning its hard, unforgiving, and should be played with Perma death on. Still, its a great game.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I heard good things about Dungeons of Dredmor... it just popped up on Steam.MyopicCanadian
I've really been considering that, but it looks like it was made in 1995(I know, i know gameplay > graphics, but i just cant get past it)
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3768 Posts
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]I heard good things about Dungeons of Dredmor... it just popped up on Steam.IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
I've really been considering that, but it looks like it was made in 1995(I know, i know gameplay > graphics, but i just cant get past it)

You make me disappointed =(. Anyway its in short a more casual version of classic rogue like games. Its easier... Better ui... You have the option of perm death or not... And its not made with 20x20 pixel blocks in paint or ascii characters. Anyway its worth the 5$
jobano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jobano
Member since 2003 • 5476 Posts

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel was pretty amusing. It's got pretty visuals and the gameplay and loot wanking is fun. Any game with an auto-loot circle radius button with rarity toggles is definitely awesome. Another one I'd check out are the Titan Quest games, you can get Titan Quest and Immortal Throne on the cheap on Steam as Titan Quest Gold. It's kept up surprisingly well over the years. Take a look :)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25760 Posts

one if your willing to log the hours is guildwars. it takes a considerable amount of tiime to get to the dungeons but once you get there. there are some really nice set piece dungeons or dungeon like area's.

ill give you an example..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iKbCyjmITA&NR=1

visually speaking guildwars has improved considerably since its launch but not leaps n bounds better and has stood up pretty well visually for a game that requires an hd 2400xt & any dual core to run on high

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MyopicCanadian
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]I heard good things about Dungeons of Dredmor... it just popped up on Steam.IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Well I've been playing Realm of the Mad God.. the graphics in Dungeons of Dredmor are already a step up :D
frnk55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 frnk55
Member since 2010 • 260 Posts

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel was pretty amusing. It's got pretty visuals and the gameplay and loot wanking is fun. Any game with an auto-loot circle radius button with rarity toggles is definitely awesome. Another one I'd check out are the Titan Quest games, you can get Titan Quest and Immortal Throne on the cheap on Steam as Titan Quest Gold. It's kept up surprisingly well over the years. Take a look :)

jobano

I'd love to start playing Sacred 2 again but it's the only game I can't seem to get running with Win 7. Pisses me off.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Din's Curse is an excellent dungeon crawler.

MusicMazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 MusicMazter
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts

Titan Quest really fun.

tapty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tapty
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts

I also heard that dwarf fortress is good, but im not sure if it is quite what i want...

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I also heard that dwarf fortress is good, but im not sure if it is quite what i want...

tapty

Nope, it's definitely not.

I recommend you get Temple of Elemental Evil. It's combat is turned based & the rest is real time, and its a perfect representation of DnD. The visuals are beautiful, and don't be fooled, it's nothing like Baldur's Gate.

There is no heavy focus on story, and each quest is a grand adventure on its own trough countless dungeons filled with difficult monsters and deadly traps. The addictive gameplay (being turned based doesn't make it slow at all), beautifully well constructed environments & incredibly detailed dungeons, and hard difficulty is the height of the game, not any story.

You'll get a strong sense of adventure because of its well constructed DnD atmosphere, and i definitely will assume that this game is what you're looking for. Oh, there's also a ton of loot.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3209 Posts

[QUOTE="tapty"]

Lucianu

Nope, it's definitely not.

I recommend you get Temple of Elemental Evil. It's combat is turned based & the rest is real time, and its a perfect representation of DnD. The visuals are beautiful, and don't be fooled, it's nothing like Baldur's Gate.

There is no heavy focus on story, and each quest is a grand adventure on its own trough countless dungeons filled with difficult monsters and deadly traps. The addictive gameplay (being turned based doesn't make it slow at all), beautifully well constructed environments & incredibly detailed dungeons, and hard difficulty is the height of the game, not any story.

You'll get a strong sense of adventure because of its well constructed DnD atmosphere, and i definitely will assume that this game is what you're looking for. Oh, there's also a ton of loot.

Good suggestion. It's tactical turn based d&d combat though, def not any button mashing hack-n-slash here. Be sure to install the Circle of 8 modpack though (ver 6.0)

airshocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 airshocker
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If you don't mind a little screen tearing, D&D Daggerdale is pretty good.

Then again I have it on the 360, so not sure if the problem is on the PC.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18152 Posts

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]I heard good things about Dungeons of Dredmor... it just popped up on Steam.Grodus5
I'll vouch for Dungeons of Dredmor. Its pretty fun, but its a rogue like, meaning its hard, unforgiving, and should be played with Perma death on. Still, its a great game.

I came into this thread to suggest Dredmor, too.

In the past three days I've managed to rack up 20 hours in that game, and I still feel like loading it up again and rolling a new, completely doomed character. Totally loving it so far, and for $5 it's a steal.

bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts

You could give Dungeon Siege 1/2 a try. The third one came out a few months ago but I didn't care much for it.

Titan Quest + Immortal throne is again, a solid choice, probably one of the most entertaining Hack'n'Slash games to come out in a while.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MyopicCanadian

[QUOTE="Grodus5"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]I heard good things about Dungeons of Dredmor... it just popped up on Steam.Planeforger

In the past three days I've managed to rack up 20 hours in that game, and I still feel like loading it up again and rolling a new, completely doomed character. Totally loving it so far, and for $5 it's a steal.

Good to hear from both of you that it's as fun as it looks. I definitely plan to pick it up once I'm done with a couple of other games.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="Grodus5"] I'll vouch for Dungeons of Dredmor. Its pretty fun, but its a rogue like, meaning its hard, unforgiving, and should be played with Perma death on. Still, its a great game.MyopicCanadian

Good to hear from both of you that it's as fun as it looks. I definitely plan to pick it up once I'm done with a couple of other games.

It really is as fun as it looks, and the humor is great as well (although I don't think the humor is as good as Cthulhu Saves the World). I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, and that's saying a lot, as I had pretty high expectations of it going in. Its a great rougelike without being too complex or too simple, its just right.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Here is a nice little list of games I put together. I don't think they have been mentioned yet in this thread.

Darkspore - Great combat system, weak story. You should try this one out.

Avencast: Rise of the Mage - This is a mage-based dungeon crawler. Not much story, but the combat system is very well done, and the graphics are acceptable.

Summoner - This game is a bit old, but I think the gameplay and graphics hold up. It is another mage-like hack'n slash game. Sadly, this one might be tough to find at a good price.

Nox - Great sense of humor and a good storyline for a hack 'n slash. This is probably another one that is tough to find at a good price.