Are the DirectX 11 video cards compatible with DirectX 10?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
#1 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

Hey all! So I'm wondering if the DirectX 11 video cards are backward compatible with DirectX 10. So for example if I get a DirectX 11 video card can I still enable the DirectX 10 effects in Crysis?

#2 Posted by Duckman5 (18934 posts) -
Of course!
#3 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -
Of course!Duckman5
good thank goodness. just making sure cause I'm in the search for a new video card for myself. I'm pondering on which video cards are going to have the best black friday prices. I'm trying to keep my budget somewhere around $140. My options are of course the 4770, 5750, 4870 or the 5770.
#4 Posted by Slig0 (2072 posts) -

Yay, you're finally getting off HD3300! I wholeheartedly suggest you get nVidia, but as I know you prefer ATI I am going to recommend that you get 5770. Heck, you can even get HD2400 and it will be a boost :P, so any of the mentioned cards will be a fine upgrade.

#5 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

Yay, you're finally getting off HD3300! I wholeheartedly suggest you get nVidia, but as I know you prefer ATI I am going to recommend that you get 5770. Heck, you can even get HD2400 and it will be a boost :P, so any of the mentioned cards will be a fine upgrade.

Slig0

As much as I do like Nvidia I'd like to get an ATI card this time (I hear it's a great time to be an ATI customer). Yep in case you were wondering I've been using Nvidia up until now ;)

#6 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24621 posts) -
Just buy a nvidia 6150LE, number is higher. I have 3 of them in SLI. Works wonders.
#7 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -
Just buy a nvidia 6150LE, number is higher. I have 3 of them in SLI. Works wonders.JigglyWiggly_
It's not as funny when I know you're lying :P :roll: :lol:
#8 Posted by Slig0 (2072 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Just buy a nvidia 6150LE, number is higher. I have 3 of them in SLI. Works wonders.UltimateGamer95

It would be funny if he posted it to some newbie who created a new thread: "Which card for me?".

#9 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Just buy a nvidia 6150LE, number is higher. I have 3 of them in SLI. Works wonders.Slig0

It would be funny if he posted it to some newbie who created a new thread: "Which card for me?".

Actually someone on here has already made a similar comment like the one Jiggly did :lol:
#10 Posted by marcthpro (7927 posts) -
You'r a good humorist jiggywillgy_ you need to make better sketch tough :D
#11 Posted by sihunt (1116 posts) -

Hi I wonder if it would be better to wait and see what Nvidia

is gunna pull out of its hat as far as DX11 cards? Rumor is

they are going to be expensive though.

#12 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

sihunt
Yeah unfortunately they are way out of my price range :( ;)
#13 Posted by somegtalover (2700 posts) -

im soooo happy for u!

#14 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

im soooo happy for u!

somegtalover
Yeah since UltimateGamer is getting a new video card it seems to set off flags everywhere lol :P :)
#16 Posted by iliatay (1325 posts) -

Slig0

w8 so ur current card is an hd3300?!!! omfgwtfbbq?????

#17 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

[QUOTE="Slig0"]

iliatay

no it's the integrated video chip on my motherboard. Well ummm if I had been able to build people rigs then I would have had a nice card by now :( :roll:
#18 Posted by iliatay (1325 posts) -

[QUOTE="iliatay"]

[QUOTE="Slig0"]

UltimateGamer95

no it's the integrated video chip on my motherboard. Well ummm if I had been able to build people rigs then I would have had a nice card by now :( :roll:

how in hell do u game with a hd3300? i think u will qualify for donations from salvation army if u tell them about ur case lol (im joking, i had to sell all my stuff to get my rig)

#19 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"][QUOTE="iliatay"]

iliatay

how in hell do u game with a hd3300? i think u will qualify for donations from salvation army if u tell them about ur case lol (im joking, i had to sell all my stuff to get my rig)

Well if you could round up some customers for me that would certainly help ;) :) Actually the HD 3300 is more powerful than you think it is (it can run older games such as Quake 4 perfectly but the newer games definitely lag) :(
#20 Posted by Lockedge (16765 posts) -

Hey all! So I'm wondering if the DirectX 11 video cards are backward compatible with DirectX 10. So for example if I get a DirectX 11 video card can I still enable the DirectX 10 effects in Crysis?

UltimateGamer95
Most definitely! :D It's what I can't wait to do in STALKER:SoC when I get my new computer. :) Finally, HDR lighting and a decent shader.
#21 Posted by Lockedge (16765 posts) -
[QUOTE="iliatay"]

[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"] no it's the integrated video chip on my motherboard. Well ummm if I had been able to build people rigs then I would have had a nice card by now :( :roll:UltimateGamer95

Well if you could round up some customers for me that would certainly help ;) :) Actually the HD 3300 is more powerful than you think it is (it can run older games such as Quake 4 perfectly but the newer games definitely lag) :(

I'd send you my Nvidia 7600GT if I didn't need it as a backup :P But yeah, congrats on getting a new card, I'd suggest the 5770, which is the model I'm picking up, but as I've never witnessed a Black Friday event, I can't honestly say what goes on there except deals people bludgeon each other over to get. :P Sooooooooo yeah, maybe around, I dunno, mind-November, we'l know more about deals? I know pre-deals are going on, so leaks are bound to happen!
#22 Posted by miltos33 (566 posts) -

[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"]

Lockedge

Most definitely! :D It's what I can't wait to do in STALKER:SoC when I get my new computer. :) Finally, HDR lighting and a decent shader.

Stalker: Call of Pripyat will be one of the first games to support DX11.

And congrats to the op for the much needed upgrade. :)

#23 Posted by Slig0 (2072 posts) -

[QUOTE="sihunt"]

UltimateGamer95

Yeah unfortunately they are way out of my price range :( ;)

Well you do not know that since they haven't announced correct prices yet.