Are PC versions of modern racing games impossible to beat without a controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

Up until 2006 or 2007, I was able to easily beat most racing games with just my keyboard. But I find that most modern racing games are almost impossible to beat without a controller. For example, I found the later part of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 extremely tough to play with a keyboard and mouse, especially while taking turns. In fact, I gave up playing the game after losing a particularly tough race more than 50 times. But when I attempted the same race on my friend's PC using his controller, I was able to come first in just my third attempt. This is just one example, and I have found this to be true with most modern racing games. I certainly feel that developers of modern racing games take it for granted that every PC gamer owns a controller too.

I know that most PC gamers on this site own a controller, but to the very few who actually play racing games with your keyboard, do you feel the same was as me, or are you comfortable playing such games with your keyboard?

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

It was the time trial sections of Blur that convinced me to get a controller. Even with repeated efforts, it (seemed) impossible to get through one section in under 14 seconds.

I went and bought a controller and got under the magic time in my first or 2nd attempt.

But really, it makes sense - you don't drive a car by putting the steering on full lock repeatedly or jamming the throttle to the floor (or not at all).

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funkyzoom

It was the time trial sections of Blur that convinced me to get a controller. Even with repeated efforts, it (seemed) impossible to get through one section in under 14 seconds.

I went and bought a controller and got under the magic time in my first or 2nd attempt.

But really, it makes sense - you don't drive a car by putting the steering on full lock repeatedly or jamming the throttle to the floor (or not at all).

LordRork

I know it makes sense, but a controller is not a standard PC accessory. So if the game is impossible to beat without a controller, they should at least mention 'controller recommended', right?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Racing games are one genre where analog controls give you a much larger degree of precision than the digital controls of a keyboard. As games introduce more complex physics, the analog control is needed to keep up with the game.

I don't even bother to play games with a lot of driving with a keyboard anymore. Digital inputs aren't very good in those situations.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59181 Posts

Trackmania 2 is almost just as good on the keyboard as a pad. Even though it's "arcade" don't claim it's noobish are easy, it pretty far from it.

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

Trackmania 2 is almost just as good on the keyboard as a pad. Even though it's "arcade" don't claim it's noobish are easy, it pretty far from it.

uninspiredcup

The only racing game series I play with keyboard.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

It's more of a bigger issue in general.  I personally love my PC with a controller.  Any game that supports it I typically use a controller with unless its a shooter or RTS. 

There are just simply some games that require specific control settings that a PC alone cannot accomplish.  Fighting games, racing games, platformers, and many other games out there are just better on a controller.  

I love my PC, but I recognize that it has shortcomings.  A few usb controllers fixed just about everything. 

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#8 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Not sure I can answer this since I use a 360 controller for just about any racing game except Trackmania. My answer would be no they aren't impossible, since most racing games are pretty easy and keyboard will do the job
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Ehh....I've played all the Needs for Speeds with a keyboard and finished all of them. Some levels were challenging (last level of the original Hot Pursuit for example), but by no means impossible. Don't know why you mention mouse though. I just use the keyboard when racing.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funkyzoom

Ehh....I've played all the Needs for Speeds with a keyboard and finished all of them. Some levels were challenging (last level of the original Hot Pursuit for example), but by no means impossible. Don't know why you mention mouse though. I just use the keyboard when racing.FelipeInside

I never meant to mention the mouse, but I'm so used to saying 'keyboard and mouse', that I just typed it out of habit.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Ehh....I've played all the Needs for Speeds with a keyboard and finished all of them. Some levels were challenging (last level of the original Hot Pursuit for example), but by no means impossible. Don't know why you mention mouse though. I just use the keyboard when racing.funkyzoom

I never meant to mention the mouse, but I'm so used to saying 'keyboard and mouse', that I just typed it out of habit.

Ahh lol..... I thought for a second there that you were trying to steer with the mouse or something....
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
The 360 controller is definitely far better for racing games. I just started playing GRID again with a controller, and I can crank the difficulty up all of the way now. I don't even need flashbacks anymore...
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 superclocked

Racing games are one genre where analog controls give you a much larger degree of precision than the digital controls of a keyboard. As games introduce more complex physics, the analog control is needed to keep up with the game.

I don't even bother to play games with a lot of driving with a keyboard anymore. Digital inputs aren't very good in those situations.

Wasdie
Flying is better with a controller, too...
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Nope, I have done fine with just a keyboard
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Id say yes for any driving game that has physics worth a damn. You need to ability to have analog breaking and throttling because you not always gonna want to be full throttle or full brakes. For turning you need the precision for minor corrections that analog steering provides. Otherwise you're gonna have a hard time controlling the cars especially at high speeds where that lack Of precision usually ends in a crash.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Ehh....I've played all the Needs for Speeds with a keyboard and finished all of them. Some levels were challenging (last level of the original Hot Pursuit for example), but by no means impossible. Don't know why you mention mouse though. I just use the keyboard when racing.FelipeInside

Ahh lol..... I thought for a second there that you were trying to steer with the mouse or something....

Well....I do use the mouse during the driving parts of games like GTA, especially to realign the camera when I turn, because if i don't do that it takes ages to realign by itself.

IAAGguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IAAGguy
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

I have never bought a racing game for my PC. I just feel like it would be very uncomfortable to play it on a keyboard instead of a controller. Just my opinion, I never tried out a racing game on the PC.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

funkyzoom

Well....I do use the mouse during the driving parts of games like GTA, especially to realign the camera when I turn, because if i don't do that it takes ages to realign by itself.

Yeah, for games like GTA I do too.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
If you're a fan of racing games, why are you playing them with a keyboard? That's dumb.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]If you're a fan of racing games, why are you playing them with a keyboard? That's dumb.

Why is it dumb? Why can't I play the games the way I want to play them?
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]If you're a fan of racing games, why are you playing them with a keyboard? That's dumb.FelipeInside

Because your chosen input device is infinitely inferior to something you can pickup for <$40. And before someone says it, that's not opinion. 

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 superclocked
input device you can pickup for <$40C_Rule
My favorite is the $25 Gamestop branded controller for the 360. The analog sticks are much better than the Microsoft brand controller. The XBox One controller is supposed to be nice, though...
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="C_Rule"]If you're a fan of racing games, why are you playing them with a keyboard? That's dumb.C_Rule

Because your chosen input device is infinitely inferior to something you can pickup for <$40. And before someone says it, that's not opinion. 

Might be inferior but I don't have any problems finishing the game with it. I even do well in some MP.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

played all my racing games since the 90s with keyboard, never had any issues

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]input device you can pickup for <$40superclocked
My favorite is the $25 Gamestop branded controller for the 360. The analog sticks are much better than the Microsoft brand controller. The XBox One controller is supposed to be nice, though...

I'll grab an x1 controller well day 1, tired of tinkering with drivers.

@tc, I played much dirt 2 on hard difficulty I think with a mix of kb or controller, plays well and better feel than dirt 3.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

I play all my racing games on my racing wheel, so even a controller feels wierd to me. I can't imagine how u would play it on a keyboard, how do u control the throttle, breaks, and steering lock?

mrmarrero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrmarrero
Member since 2007 • 343 Posts

Yes. I've noticed this trend over the past several years. The early NFS games I had zero issues beating on a keyboard, the newer ones are quite difficult. And, here I thought it was just me. Glad to see I was wrong on that count...

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Get over yourself and use a controller then.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I have never bought a racing game for my PC. I just feel like it would be very uncomfortable to play it on a keyboard instead of a controller. Just my opinion, I never tried out a racing game on the PC.

IAAGguy

I've bought a few racers to play on my pc but always played them with a gamepad including trackmania xpadder ftw wouldn't have enjoyed it as much without it.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 funkyzoom

If you're a fan of racing games, why are you playing them with a keyboard? That's dumb.C_Rule

No, I'm NOT a fan of racing games. I mainly play action and adventure games (both 1st and 3rd person), and shooters. For these types of games, keyboard and mousee is the best. I play racing games only occasionally, so it wouldn't make sense for me to invest in a controller.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Racing games are one genre where analog controls give you a much larger degree of precision than the digital controls of a keyboard.

Wasdie

Who the hell would play Trackmania with a controller?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Flying is better with a controller, too...superclocked

Depends on the game.

Do you honestly believe flying jets in BF3 is easier with a controller? That's hilarious. 

You need a joystick PERIOD to play DCS.

I don't know why anybody would anything other then M+K and a joystick on PC for flying.

Don't use console ports as an example because the controls for those games are terrible and not done properly for mouse and keyboard.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I wouldn't say its impossible I've done it before but, once I started using my controller I never went back