Are evga motherboards any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
I've been looking for a motherboard to match a Phenom II 720 and this seems to be the most interesting one: EVGA 113-M2-E113 Nvidia 730a http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=113-M2-E113-TR&family=Motherboard%20Family I've owned a few video cards by them and wasn't disappointed. But I'm hesitant as I've heard some horror stories about their motherboards, although I couldn't tell if that really was because they didn't know what they were doing and really should have had someone else build their computer or have gone with a Dell. I was also considering the Foxconn Destroyer and a few DFI's, but I'd rather keep my budget under 250$ including the 720. I'm really wonder what is a good overclocking board? And what's really stable? I'll mainly use it for gaming, but also do some video encoding/decoding. Thanks.
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 d-rtyboy
dp ... heh ... It gave me an error. Sue me. :)
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
evga support is meh, trust me on this. They are on nice on the outside but meh. They aren't very smart either, this is coming from perosnal experience. I was on their forums and had about 10k posts, but banned falsely I might add. No apeals, no nothing, and once they are through with you they don't care. They pretty much refused to rma some of my stuff. DFI is alright, but not much better than eVGA, oddly enough I've had the best customer service with asus. So keep that in mind :)
grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 grenadexjumpr
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts

EVGA is a good company. They make quality products. Same can be said about ASUS. Of course you're gonna hear horror stories. There are horror stories about any company that produces consumer products. You really can't go wrong with ASUS, EVGA, and occasionally MSI.

artiedeadat40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 artiedeadat40
Member since 2007 • 1695 Posts

evga support is meh, trust me on this. They are on nice on the outside but meh. They aren't very smart either, this is coming from perosnal experience. I was on their forums and had about 10k posts, but banned falsely I might add. No apeals, no nothing, and once they are through with you they don't care. They pretty much refused to rma some of my stuff. DFI is alright, but not much better than eVGA, oddly enough I've had the best customer service with asus. So keep that in mind :)JigglyWiggly_

Asus? The company that kept me on hold for an hour several times and never calls back when you use the call back system. They once told me that a 1.8 vcc is safe for a 45nm cpu, I was having odd readings because of their crappy pc probe or some other software on their disc thai I installed like an idiot. Have you ever been through an asus rma? it's a nightmere. Their customer service is second to worst only to MSI, but their products and bios support is amazing. I have acctually heard nothing but horror stories about Asus. Here is a review of Asus customer service by a very trusted poster at XS and professional reviewer, btw.

http://www.benchzone.com/page.php?al=asustek_evaluation

I have had nothing but great service from Evga they go way above and beyond the call, no other company that I have used comes close exept for mabey OCZ. With all of that said unless you have a need for sli for some reason stay away from Nforce boards. Sli is not worth the hassle, imo. Nforce boards are pretty bad.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]evga support is meh, trust me on this. They are on nice on the outside but meh. They aren't very smart either, this is coming from perosnal experience. I was on their forums and had about 10k posts, but banned falsely I might add. No apeals, no nothing, and once they are through with you they don't care. They pretty much refused to rma some of my stuff. DFI is alright, but not much better than eVGA, oddly enough I've had the best customer service with asus. So keep that in mind :)artiedeadat40

Asus? The company that kept me on hold for an hour several times and never calls back when you use the call back system. They once told me that a 1.8 vcc is safe for a 45nm cpu, I was having odd readings because of their crappy pc probe or some other software on their disc thai I installed like an idiot. Have you ever been through an asus rma? it's a nightmere. Their customer service is second to worst only to MSI, but their products and bios support is amazing. I have acctually heard nothing but horror stories about Asus. Here is a review of Asus customer service by a very trusted poster at XS and professional reviewer, btw.

http://www.benchzone.com/page.php?al=asustek_evaluation

I have had nothing but great service from Evga they go way above and beyond the call, no other company that I have used comes close exept for mabey OCZ. With all of that said unless you have a need for sli for some reason stay away from Nforce boards. Sli is not worth the hassle, imo. Nforce boards are pretty bad.

I know nforce boards are bad. I just said "oddly", and also Asus is in Fremont thats very close to me. So I just go up to them, also they do 1 day shipping on their part. Evga makes you pay.
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts

Nforce boards are pretty bad.

artiedeadat40
Very true. My first 750i FTW had a bad NIC, my second one had the instant FF code problem(blank bios chip - confirmed by using another 750i FTW bios chip), and the other 3 have bad memory controllers... Plus, using decent video cards requires bioses that secretly increase CPU and memory latency more and more with each new release. So no matter how good the cards, the performance stays about the same. In my other pc, I can overclock my modded 512mb 7950gt's to 741/1520. In my most recent 750i FTW though, anything over stock crashes my pc.... After 4 RMA's, I gave up. I'm stuck with a 750i FTW that won't allow decent video card bandwidth, and only accepts 2 sticks of RAM...
Mlazaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Mlazaro
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts

I just built a rig with a Evga730a and a AMD 600+3.10 dual core.I have to say,so far,so good.Have not had one problem with install boot,anything.It fired right up and then i ran the drives that came with the Mobo.There are plenty of options in the BIOS and the layout is nice.Mine cost 89.00$ at Tiger.I couldnt be happier with CPU+ Mobo as of today..The 730a is also rated 5 star customer review on Tiger.....Also,i had to deal with EVGA support 2 weeks ago.I had a 9800GT overheat and burnout.I dont know what the other people were talking about,theyr customer support was awesome for me.I was talking to a tech in 10 mins,had my card RMA'd in 20 min,then had my new card by next week.I could not have asked for better customer support.

Perhampus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Perhampus
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts
Intel or Gigabyte boards are the best for stability, though: Intel is a very solid motherboard producer but isn't overclocker friednly Gigabyte on the other hand is also stable and on my Gigabyte EP45 board I was able to get stable readings at stock volts at 3.6Ghz on my e8400, my friend has the same setup and runs it at 4.05Ghz stable. As far as temps go I am using a thermaltake aftermarket cooler and my temps haven't gone farther up then 43 Celsius, seriously good boards. Don't know about customer support though ,quite frankly I've built many rigs with gigabyte boards and most of which are imported into our country and none of them have come out broken or damaged or malfunction in anyway.
-Stefunny-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Stefunny-
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts
The X58 Mobo by EVGA is pretty darn good and stable. Never crashed on me yet.
Avatar image for SinzOfTheFallen
SinzOfTheFallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SinzOfTheFallen
Member since 2008 • 121 Posts

Here's the deal on Motherboards or anything in general.. you can ask here for Real-world experience..but, don't ask if they're any good. Check reviews, check places like newegg that have extensive customer reviews..you'll know, at the very least, what you're getting into..what are its shortcomings and what to expect straight out the box. I don't own an evga board, it's an XFX 780i, but, EVGA makes the same board, looks about identical, but, what i'd suggest is look more at chipsets than just brands. I know Nforce chipsets get a bad rep, but, mine has been pretty great. I'm running perfectly stable, q6600 @ 3ghz, 4gb 1066 memory, and an gtx 260. Everything works fine. Now, getting around in the bios, and overclocking, yeah, it was tricky, but, then again, overclocking isn't supposed to be easy, it's a very involved process and you do a lot of it by trial & error, so, out the box, everything ran fine. Use google and check reviews on it..but, be careful which reviews you trust and don't just believe the first site you see, a lot of them have it in their best interest to give favorable reviews to certain brands over others.. why? cuz they get free shtuff. :P just some stuff to keep in mind, i could be wrong, but, i don't think i am.

grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 grenadexjumpr
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts

I wouldn't put to much stock in the reviews on Newegg. Some of them are informative but many of them consist of people claiming "high" levels of experience and they trash an Intel based motherboard cause they're AMD chip wouldn't work in it. And yes, I have seen reviews that are like that.

d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 d-rtyboy

I wouldn't put to much stock in the reviews on Newegg. Some of them are informative but many of them consist of people claiming "high" levels of experience and they trash an Intel based motherboard cause they're AMD chip wouldn't work in it. And yes, I have seen reviews that are like that.

grenadexjumpr
Yea, I see some who claim "high" level but I can tell by reading that they just have no clue. I saw one user give a bad review because he was trying to fit ancient 168 pin SDRAM into a DDR2 slot. /facepalm But some you can tell they know what they're talking about, so it can be handy as a quick reference, but you're right I wouldn't use it as the last word. It seems that nforce chipsets are 50/50 and that's been my experience as I have a defective nf4 waiting to be recycled. I replaced it with another about a year ago with the same chipset but foxconn instead of msi and it's worked fine ever since. Though it is in my server so it doesn't get much exercise other than being on 24/7. I got my eye on this DFI and as soon as there's a mail in rebate or something it's going to be mine. Thanks for the input.
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
they are decent, support isn't that great, but heck when is most good? I like their new x58 LE motherboard ^.^ but i'm not gonna upgrade until my 780i sli set up until i can't run games on medium. So far still maxing games out to the nines ^.^