Fractured_Veil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Fractured_Veil
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

I'm in the market for a new monitor. A friend has a curved one and can't stop talking about how much better it is for extended gaming. I've used it for an afternoon and didn't notice much of a difference. Does anyone have a strong opinion? Are they worth the extra cash if you're playing a lot?

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1978 Posts

I looked at some curved TVs prior to getting my 4K TV and found them ugly. The picture looked skewed, no matter what distance I stood at. Don't see why monitors would be any better. Curved screens and ultra wide monitors are also extremely niche. They account for less than two percent of Steam users, according to hardware surveys. Must take a very specific taste to like this.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3683 Posts

i hate curved. I had one about a month ago, i ended up sending it back to amazon. The curve was not the main reason I sent it back but it was one reason among many.

It distorts the entire screen you are looking at, and you can't look at the screen from an angle or it looks even worse. So if you multitask with other monitors and sometimes are at a different area on your desk you will be looking at a god awful distorted view when you look at the curved monitor.

The problem is this though; almost all monitors are curved, especially when you go Ultrawide. Luckily LG still makes a few flat ones but even they mostly just make curved. And 21:9 Ultrawide is still not as common as trash and outdated 16:9 so it'll be a while before the market gets more flooded with regular flat screen options.

I don't think it makes them more expensive either, i've heard the opposite and its cheaper to make them curved and that's why they do it, its not to benefit us, its to save them money.

The monitor i had was a 160hz ultrawide "Alienware 34 inch Curved Gaming Monitor [AW3418HW]". It had least curve rating of most but even that I found annoying. Thing is, I know eventually if I get a new monitor i still may have to get a curved monitor since its so hard to find a 34 inch ultrawide that isn't. Maybe the trend will die down and they will start making more flat ones cause I don't like the distorted view.

Curved TVs were pushed pretty hard a few years back, thats died down a lot now, i rarely see any advertised anymore. I think people stopped buying them because how useless is a TV if only 1 person can watch it properly and everyone else is seeing a distorted view.

People who like curved are living in a dream world and need a punch in the head.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39071 Posts

@fractured_veil: I move you're thread to the correct forum and you'll get more answers/opinion in this place then Games Discussion regarding Curve Monitors :)

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4426 Posts

If you want curved, the best way is to buy three separate monitors.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 127

#6 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 10920 Posts

The wider the screen, the more useful the curve as it brings the screen around your peripheral vision more. A screen should have a minimum aspect ratio of 21:9 before a curve is applied. It doesn't make sense on monitors and TVs that are 16:9.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 2829 Posts

Guess I'm very specific. 3800r & 4200r screens. Perfect for where im sitting, and big screen looks fine for TV/movies across the room. Dislike the 1900r monitors (aka almost all of them)