Are AAA sp campaign story driven games dying

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Are AAA sp campaign story driven games dying (43 votes)

Yes 33%
No 49%
Not sure 19%
Other 0%

With the rash of mp, co-op and mmorpg games on the AAA level being released, and the underwhelming ( by wall street standards ) financial performance of a few new games prey, etc ,the closing of visceral and a few studios do youthink the sp campaign aaa games on pc is dying or is mp shooter just a trend.

• 
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Not sure if I would put prey or dead space in the same boat with skyrim or gta5 when talking about AAA games. The former are more like AA imo.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:

Not sure if I would put prey or dead space in the same boat with skyrim or gta5 when talking about AAA games. The former are more like AA imo.

they are different games, true but i just dont see any of the big publishers putting any thought on the pc side a t least into making a compelling story driven game.

its all about microtransactions, what they are really trying to do is to get gamers to keep coming back to purchase ridiculous so called new content again and again and in that respect some gamers will shell out $5 or $10 for new paint on a gun, or hats or maps or whatever stupid idea they come up with in some stupid fps shooter.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I really hope not. Skyrim, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Fallout 4, Uncharted series (SP campaign only), The Last of Us, Bioshock series, are all games I have enjoyed playing. Some of them played more than once.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a020b2914a23
deactivated-5a020b2914a23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-5a020b2914a23
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

I hope not I really have no interest in any new MP games these days SP is what I enjoy the most right now.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I don't think so, you've got plenty of good AAA titles that focus on sp rather than mp only, sadly the mainstream ones are focused on mp

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

There aren't dying at all. My most anticipated games and games that have released this year that are AAA are single player games.

• Assassins Creed Origin
  • Wolfenstein II
  • Shadow of War
  • Southpark
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Cuphead
  • Prey
  • Evil Within 2
  • Dishonoured 2
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Zelda Breath of the WIld
  • Mario Odyssey

That's this year.... My most anticipated games are

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield
  • Borderlands 3
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Metro Exodus
  • Spiderman
  • Days gone
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Farcry 5

Dying?... No they just take longer to make.

I'm still playing The Witcher 3... My backlog is crazy.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

No, not at all

But on the other hand we have a push towards more 'online' 'connected' games so companies have a reason to push for more lootboxes in their games. And other extra monetization options.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

@deactivated-5a020b2914a23 said:

I hope not I really have no interest in any new MP games these days SP is what I enjoy the most right now.

I feel you,bro but I only play one MP game these days and more SP games.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

They're dying slowly IMO.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I don't think they're dying. There are plenty of SP games that were released just this year.. like, Wolfenstein II, Assassins Creed Origin, Prey, Resident Evil 7, Mass Effect Andromeda and much more. Plus there are still tons of SP games that are going to come out in the near future like, Metro Exodus, Far Cry 5, Borderlands 3, Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield and more.

I personally play both SP and MP about the same and so do my friends. MP is fun and all but I always enjoy games with great stories.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@rockfield said:

They're dying slowly IMO.

I don't see how, almost every year game of the year awards go to a singleplayer game. I think we will be just fine for years to come.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#12 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I don't think it is so much that single player games are dying, but more that certain large publishers (EA, Activision/Blizzard, Warner Bros) are trying to push games as a service where you have to continually pay to play. They are trying to take gamers back to the 'put coin in slot to play' mentality and, sadly, that tactic is more effective with online and/or multiplayer games. They may still continue to make SP games, but I would expect to see more and more micro-transactions and loot boxes piled in with your full game purchase, along with online requirements or functionality. It also means single player games from these publishers will tend to be designed around grinding for gear to make spending extra money more attractive. Although judging by EA's recent comments around the single player Star Wars game they cancelled (and studio closure of Visceral Games), they especially seem to be doubling down on online games for the foreseeable future.

Bethesda Softworks, Sony's first party studios, CD Projekt, indie developers and ironically Ubisoft, actually number among the publishers/developers who are still actively supporting single player games. Although it has to be said that Ubisoft flip-flops around every couple of years from consumer friendly to consumer unfriendly, especially with regard to PC releases, they seem to focus on having a good mix of single player and multiplayer titles available, which is good. There are other publishers who still produce single player experiences, for sure, but they tend to focus on established franchises (such as Nintendo with Legend of Zelda and Square Enix with Resident Evil).

On a side note, I tend not to buy games from EA, Activision or Warner Bros any more. I prefer single player campaigns without all the BS these publishers want to shovel into their games to 'monetize the whales' etc. I'll continue to support developers and publishers who produce good quality single player games that don't pester me every five minutes to buy random nonsense.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

In the future I'm very much looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 and Squadron 42. Far Cry 5 also slightly interests me.

Currently playing Nier Automata.

Can see where you are coming from tho. Been a big push on MP for that consistent revenue stream.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I hope not. It's ironic that since I'm older I actually have money to buy games but mp games don't interest me at all. 10 or 15 years ago they were fun but now I just find them dull and get bored with them in a few hours.

CaptainBlueSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CaptainBlueSky
Member since 2017 • 12 Posts

This year alone we got Nioh, Horizon, Zelda, Mario, Wolfenstein 2, and more. I think there's just more multiplayer games making it seem like there's less SP AAA games.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

How about trying the indie universe instead?

not for story games but just games in general because I see a lot of complaints in this thread about gaming in general

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

Those are really the only games I play. I used to play starcraft and occasionally Overwatch, but don't care much for most multiplayer games. I especially don't care at all about unlocking a different colored belt for an online character. I've been playing Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 for years and enjoy the immensely. Before that I played Bioshock and Dexus Ex

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

AAA companies are saying that it is, so it likely is.

There is only about what? 4 AAA companies maybe at most?