archeage, the mmo to end all mmo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

Don't mean to put down WoW, GW2, Tera or whatever, but I think archeage is world's first SANDBOX STYLE MMO! and the most ambitious by far.

I accidently found this hidden gem while doing my cryengine3 homework, and WOW! how can I not be impressed. to make it clear, i haven't touched a single MMO since age of conan when I was in college, MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level. but the traditional way of MMO may change forever due to this amazing game powered by the most powerful video game engine in the world. cryengine3

check this out

graphic and gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yraYIpxxLoI

combat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI2pMg1bn7I

visual persentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yraYIpxxLoI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5862eaGPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7UhTjExEn8

tech demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWM41EetHJc

I don't understand a word this video says, looks like a tech demo about cryengine3 but if you go through the whole video you can tell archeage will feature.

1. true time of day transit, you will able to watch sunset and full moon in an mmo, first MMO I know does that(thanks to cryengine3)

2. true action based combat, ]

3.interact with world enviorment, tree and wall climbing, grow trees (and then cut them down lol), build houses and other objects.

4. dynamic siege battle, with environment destruction. build obstacles and knock down castle walls.

5. real time massive team ship battle,

6. and of course, jew dropping graphic, volumertic particle effect on spells, fires etc.

if this game indeed deliver all these great single player elements into an MMO, then this will be a evolutional MMO.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I think you need to read more about this MMO "MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level", you will be surprised. If you like to focus on the engine, so be it, but don't assume this will be anything other than an Asian MMO with a twist, saying what you just assume is like saying "aren't people bored of walking with their feet? why can't they reinvent walking...with your feet".
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Could be the best MMO the world has ever seen, but it won't be much fun for most people here until it gets an English release.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23963 Posts

Nice to see more people hyped for ArcheAge.

I am really hoping ArcheAge will be good. Especially after being let down by SWTOR, GW2 and WoW: Cataclysm over the last few years. Please let ArcheAge be the mmo that ends the Dark Age the mmorpg genre is stuck in.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I think you need to read more about this MMO "MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level", you will be surprised. If you like to focus on the engine, so be it, but don't assume this will be anything other than an Asian MMO with a twist, saying what you just assume is like saying "aren't people bored of walking with their feet? why can't they reinvent walking...with your feet".DanielDust

Pay no attention to Gamefan. He will promote and suck the d*ck of anything sporting CryEngine 3 and believes it's the end all solution to everything.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I am really hoping ArcheAge will be good. Especially after being let down by SWTOR, GW2 and WoW: Cataclysm over the last few years. Please let ArcheAge be the mmo that ends the Dark Age the mmorpg genre is stuck in.

Maroxad

GW2 already got it started for the majority of us, sorry you feel left out.

If this pretty package all comes in a boring grindfest who cares if I can climb a tree.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

vfibsux

GW2 already got it started for the majority of us, sorry you feel left out.

If this pretty package all comes in a boring grindfest who cares if I can climb a tree.

Guild Wars 2 is a game with a lot of potential. But at the moment it is too poorly executed and unrefined.

Still the best of the 3 I mentioned.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Ive been looking forward to AA, been keeping track of it for a while. After GW2 came out i kind of lost interest in AA news. That combat video just confirms my fears, it just looks boring. I will wait for reviews.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]I think you need to read more about this MMO "MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level", you will be surprised. If you like to focus on the engine, so be it, but don't assume this will be anything other than an Asian MMO with a twist, saying what you just assume is like saying "aren't people bored of walking with their feet? why can't they reinvent walking...with your feet".ChubbyGuy40

Pay no attention to Gamefan. He will promote and suck the d*ck of anything sporting CryEngine 3 and believes it's the end all solution to everything.

came here to say this

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

It's not the first sandbox style MMO. And Archeage is from the creator of Lineage and Lineage 2, 2 of the most succesful MMOs ever. That means the focus is on PvP and player created factions and wars, not instanced crap. And I don't care about the engine. As long as it's half as good as L2 was on it;s glory c4/c5/Intld days, I'm gonna melt my brain playing it.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
It looks good, but there's really nothing here that I haven't seen xxxx times in other MMO's.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Agreed with above, this looks the same as every other asian grindfest MMO I've seen in recent memory.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust

Agreed with above, this looks the same as every other asian grindfest MMO I've seen in recent memory.

jer_1

You can build houses, so it's not just a boring, failure of an Asian MMO, it's revolutionary.

I honestly don't know how people aren't genuinely sick of it after watching actual gameplay (assuming they cared enough to watch gameplay), to call this thing boring like 99.9% of the MMOs out there, is an understatement.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

DanielDust

You can build houses, so it's not just a boring, failure of an Asian MMO, it's revolutionary.

I honestly don't know how people aren't genuinely sick of it after watching actual gameplay (assuming they cared enough to watch gameplay), to call this thing boring like 99.9% of the MMOs out there, is an understatement.

I watched him swim in a straight line for five minutes. That's boring to me. Building houses is more of a "meh" feature for me, as it usually falls to the wayside of actual combat mechanics and questing.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

So was Darkfall, we saw how that went.

Sandbox MMOs are still very niche. Truth be told, most people just want a big. structure, co-op RPG experiance. That's why the themeparks have been much more successful. People like structure and direction quite a bit. The whole "go there, do this" menality is fine for most gamers (myself included). Sure it can't bring unlimited content and the gameplay is technically much more limiting, but that doesn't make it any less fun unless you absolutly need 100% freedom.

Not saying Archeage doesn't look fantastic (it really does, and it has a lot of potential), I'm more commenting on the whole "mmo to end all mmo" comment.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]I think you need to read more about this MMO "MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level", you will be surprised. If you like to focus on the engine, so be it, but don't assume this will be anything other than an Asian MMO with a twist, saying what you just assume is like saying "aren't people bored of walking with their feet? why can't they reinvent walking...with your feet".wis3boi

came here to say this

It's like everyone that plays/played WoW is telepathically connected.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
Don't mean to put down WoW, GW2, Tera or whatever, but I think archeage is world's first SANDBOX STYLE MMO!GameFan1983
... ...WTF am i reading.
GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GameFan1983

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

timma25

came here to say this

lol! agreed

yet both dudes are playing multi MMORPGs at once while having 20000+ posts on GS, you can't blame these guys who believe their sucess in MMO = amount of life wasted on meaningless none sense quests

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GameFan1983

I think you need to read more about this MMO "MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level", you will be surprised. If you like to focus on the engine, so be it, but don't assume this will be anything other than an Asian MMO with a twist, saying what you just assume is like saying "aren't people bored of walking with their feet? why can't they reinvent walking...with your feet".DanielDust

I think you need to change your mind set a little,

comparing walking to a form of entertainment is rather silly, if we human were all stone headed as you are now and believed "walking with our feet is so enjoyable and no change needs to be made" then it would never came with the revolution idea of building better transportation such as automobile or airplane. same thing with entertainment value in an mmo, reach lvl cap can be doing much more fun stuffs such as building houses, ship battle, climbing rather than killing monster, gathering or pizza boy quests.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GameFan1983

It's not the first sandbox style MMO. And Archeage is from the creator of Lineage and Lineage 2, 2 of the most succesful MMOs ever. That means the focus is on PvP and player created factions and wars, not instanced crap. And I don't care about the engine. As long as it's half as good as L2 was on it;s glory c4/c5/Intld days, I'm gonna melt my brain playing it.

QQabitmoar

I heard great things about those 2 games but never had time and interest to try them out, never was a fan of Asian MMOs but I do notice in recent years they brought the realm of MMO to a whole new world while we in the west just busy copy and paste WoW formula from one game to another just to get subscriber fees from lonely virgins

Could be the best MMO the world has ever seen, but it won't be much fun for most people here until it gets an English release.

from recent news, they are looking for a publisher in NA to make the U.S and canada release, and they found it, it's NCsoft, NA beta just opened and this game will likely to be released next year.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GameFan1983

Sandbox MMOs are still very niche. Truth be told, most people just want a big. structure, co-op RPG experiance. That's why the themeparks have been much more successful. People like structure and direction quite a bit. The whole "go there, do this" menality is fine for most gamers (myself included). Sure it can't bring unlimited content and the gameplay is technically much more limiting, but that doesn't make it any less fun unless you absolutly need 100% freedom.

Not saying Archeage doesn't look fantastic (it really does, and it has a lot of potential), I'm more commenting on the whole "mmo to end all mmo" comment.

Wasdie

Maybe the wording I choice for my my topic is an overstatement, I do acknowledge there are still a large player base enjoy the traditional way of reaching lvl cap by doing the traditional quests we came to know about MMOrpgs. and personally I'm not against that.

But the wholepoint of archeage is, it might(or might not) change the way gamers play MMOrpg forever, and it might lore a large crowd of none MMO fans into it and create a new breed of MMOrpgs... when you can reach your lvl cap like you are playing a high quality singleplayer action rpg, when the environment is no longer static and destructible, places are no longer instanced, you will see day and night transit etc. these are extremely exciting and ambitious concepts.

though I never said archeage is the WoW killer or tradtional MMOrpg killers, I did add a question mark in the end.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]I think you need to read more about this MMO "MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level", you will be surprised. If you like to focus on the engine, so be it, but don't assume this will be anything other than an Asian MMO with a twist, saying what you just assume is like saying "aren't people bored of walking with their feet? why can't they reinvent walking...with your feet".GameFan1983

comparing walking to a form of entertainment is rather silly, if we human were all stone headed as you are now and believed "walking with our feet is so enjoyable and no change needs to be made" then it would never came with the revolution idea of building better transportation such as automobile or airplane. same thing with entertainment value in an mmo, reach lvl cap can be doing much more fun stuffs such as building houses, ship battle, climbing rather than killing monster, gathering or pizza boy quests.

I told you to watch gameplay, not just tech demos or engine show offs, not to still assume this is anything, but the pure grind that it is. It's an Asian MMO, their idea of fun is grinding, you will grind in this game and you will grind hard, every mob fight is a grind (again watch gameplay, it has by far the most boring combat design in a MMO that wants to make a name for itself), besides thinking you can avoid grind (or in your exact words and misconceptions, to revolutionize grinding), which is the foundation of absolutely any RPG, is what's silly and also naive.

Walking is walking, grinding is grinding, it's a definite concept, you can't change it, you can't reinvent it, no RPG ever will be able to get rid of grinding even if some developer out there spends a billion $ on a 3 decade project that has only unique quests for 50 hours, combat will still remain one of the things that define grinding, killing thousands of enemies will be a grind.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GameFan1983

[QUOTE="GameFan1983"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]I think you need to read more about this MMO "MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level", you will be surprised. If you like to focus on the engine, so be it, but don't assume this will be anything other than an Asian MMO with a twist, saying what you just assume is like saying "aren't people bored of walking with their feet? why can't they reinvent walking...with your feet".DanielDust

I told you to watch gameplay, not just tech demos or engine show offs, not to still assume this is anything, but the pure grind that it is. It's an Asian MMO, their idea of fun is grinding, you will grind in this game and you will grind hard, every mob fight is a grind (again watch gameplay, it has by far the most boring combat design in a MMO that wants to make a name for itself), besides thinking you can avoid grind (or in your exact words and misconceptions, to revolutionize grinding), which is the foundation of absolutely any RPG, is what's silly and also naive.

Walking is walking, grinding is grinding, it's a definite concept, you can't change it, you can't reinvent it, no RPG ever will be able to get rid of grinding even if some developer out there spends a billion $ on a 3 decade project that has only unique quests for 50 hours, combat will still remain one of the things that define grinding, killing thousands of enemies will be a grind.

wow really?

which video did you watch? did you just save those lines on your notepad and just paste them whenever you see an mmo made by asian? grinding? what? I mean REALLY?

I have watched them all, have you? I don't care if it made by asian, westerners or alliens, but what does having real time sea battle, massive realtime seigie from sea, land and air, player customized pvp scenario, building houses and farms, interact with enviorment and interesting way of reach lvl cap by playing the game like a high quality single player rpg has anything to do with grinding?

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts

Do a little bit more research please. Eve online is, has always, and will be for a while the best sandbox RPG. Yes it is a lot harder then any mmo out there, and it might seem a bit slow especially at the start. But believe me, the game is huge, almost everything the like economy or borders is controlled by players. You can do anything you want, from sitting all day in a station to engage in massive fleet battles fighting for the controll and survival of your corporation and alliance.

The combat of acheage seems just a updated version of wow. A bit faster and dynamic.

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts

[QUOTE="GameFan1983"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]I think you need to read more about this MMO "MMO these days are mostly concentrated on extremely meaninglessly time consuming mechanic. such as, kill xxx amount enemies in zone xx or gather xxxx amount of object to gian xp and level", you will be surprised. If you like to focus on the engine, so be it, but don't assume this will be anything other than an Asian MMO with a twist, saying what you just assume is like saying "aren't people bored of walking with their feet? why can't they reinvent walking...with your feet".DanielDust

Grinding is definately something they can change. Make more interesting combat and quests. Like in Diablo 2, the leveling and item finding never felth like a grind, it was fun and entertaining. And i played some mmo's where there was no grinding at all, like warhammer online, you just play PvP all day which was awesome. Never got it why the game failed. Eve online has just a bit of grinding, once you have some skills to do what you want to do you can do that and level up the rest automaticly.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 QQabitmoar

Wasdie

Sandbox MMOs are not as niche as you might think. It's just that most of them are either too hardcore or too boring. There's no sandbox MMO that keeps a good balance between being relatively accesible, and still a sandbox. Let me remind you, the only hardcore part about Lineage 2 was that it was grindy as hell, but it still had 5 million players in it's glory days. Then there were thousands of private servers, with different XP and gold multipliers, that eased the grind. And anyone who's played L2 knows that privates far far outnumbered the numer of players retail ever had, and they are still going somewhat strong.

The main thing about sandboxes is that they aren't for the single player. You don't just buy the game and start playing it. You talk it through with your guild and decided to mass move to it. And that's the audience L2 went for when it released, and got succesful then, that's also the audience AA is going for, an audience that can't find competition anywhere else. The main audience for AA is basically the people that are still playing L2 privates and retail.

And obviously it won't be the MMO to end all MMOs. But the sole reason theme parks have been more succesful, are the casuals.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad

ArcheAge looks to be, a streamlined Sandbox mmo. Whether it is the not overly time consuming nature of the game, the less punishing aspects, and the fact that the game overall feels more casual friendly than most sandbox mmos.

Personally I think this is a good thing, Sandbox mmos dont need to be overly time consuming or hardcore. There is room for more casual sandboxes as well, and this might just help to help popularize sandboxes a bit.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

timma25

came here to say this

Wow is sh!t, and so is your opinion

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

[QUOTE="timma25"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

came here to say this

wis3boi

Wow is sh!t, and so is your opinion

Aww muffin, your precious feelings
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

DanielDust

Runescape also has houses so its hardly revolutionary but if they do it right then it could be really good.
Chronic276

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chronic276
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts
Doesn't this kinda thread come up every time a half decent looking MMO pops up on the horizon? They all end up flopping eventually.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 QQabitmoar

ArcheAge looks to be, a streamlined Sandbox mmo. Whether it is the not overly time consuming nature of the game, the less punishing aspects, and the fact that the game overall feels more casual friendly than most sandbox mmos.

Personally I think this is a good thing, Sandbox mmos dont need to be overly time consuming or hardcore. There is room for more casual sandboxes as well, and this might just help to help popularize sandboxes a bit.

Maroxad

The very nature of sandbox MMOs, the political skills and community intergration required to be able to survive in one already make them pretty hardcore. No need to add extremely punishing mechanics for personal failures or suprise raids, or very complicated and time consuming gameplay mechanics. I'm very biased obviously, but I think Lineage 2 was the prime example of how to balance accesibility and depth in a sandbox, minus the grind. Give them something worth fighting for, and people will fight over it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

QQabitmoar

The very nature of sandbox MMOs, the political skills and community intergration required to be able to survive in one already make them pretty hardcore. No need to add extremely punishing mechanics for personal failures or suprise raids, or very complicated and time consuming gameplay mechanics. I'm very biased obviously, but I think Lineage 2 was the prime example of how to balance accesibility and depth in a sandbox, minus the grind. Give them something worth fighting for, and people will fight over it.

Yes, sandbox mmos are generally built on the more hardcore aspects.

But that doesnt mean there is not room for a more casual sandbox. While I would personally prefer to play a hardcore sandbox, diversity can only a good thing.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="GameFan1983"]Don't mean to put down WoW, GW2, Tera or whatever, but I think archeage is world's first SANDBOX STYLE MMO!BrunoBRS
... ...WTF am i reading.

what your reading is the ravings of a madman

norolim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 norolim
Member since 2005 • 133 Posts

Yea, that would be great, if sth ended all MMOs. Maybe developers could concentrate on some quality games then.