Apple Laptop Suggestions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

User Lists: 0

#1 Eternal-Entity
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

What is a good apple laptop to play games (I am fine with lag)? I will have to go to classes from 6 am to 10 pm for my 3 masters during the summer. I need a light laptop because I cannot trust anyone, and I will be going for runs and lifting dumbels while carrying my laptop in a bag at school. So apple is pretty much my only choice. I do not want to spend 20k again on the best gaming system because I already have those. This time I am looking for just a price smart laptop. $800 - $1200.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

You are going to work out with a backpack on? That's a terrible idea.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
Price... smart... laptop.... and you want an apple one? are you not seeing the downside to what your saying? :P. I wouldnt buy anything less than a macbook pro, because the normal mac books are garbage, if it HAS to be a hipster apple laptop then the cheapest mac book pro is what I reccomend. Dont get a macbook air... for the love of god. But then, have some common sense and you can get a decent windows laptop for 2/3s of the price offering probably more. Just curious, why does it have to be apple?
jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts

Op seems a little.............weird.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
MacBook Pro and nothing less. I don't understand the rest of your post so I'm not going to comment on that. Always look at the mid-range one or higher since the lower end ones either have the lower end GPU or the Intel one and you aren't going to get a new Mac at that range at all haha.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Apple laptop.... games? lol. Have fun dual booting windows and paying a ridiculous price for it.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I believe the only laptop in that range is a macbook air which is not going to be good for games. In addition, there are rumors that the macbook pro line may be getting updated very soon. So i would wait.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

1. apple and games dont mix

2. lag will drive you nuts after awhile.

3. laptop that is light can play games and within the price range...dont they have like one laptop? I mean how many choice are there with those parameters exactly?

SEANMCAD
You could buy 2 version Macbook Air or the entry Macbook Pro but the specs are pretty much the same.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Don't bother with the Air, get a Macbook Pro.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

15-inch MacBook Pro will do you enough good.

I hear the upcoming MacBooks will have better integrated graphics, so hang tight.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Apple laptop.... games? lol. Have fun dual booting windows and paying a ridiculous price for it. SF_KiLLaMaN

3. laptop that is light can play games and within the price range...dont they have like one laptop? I mean how many choice are there with those parameters exactly?

SEANMCAD
You guys DO know that there are heaps of games made for MAC right?
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Apple laptop.... games? lol. Have fun dual booting windows and paying a ridiculous price for it. FelipeInside

SEANMCAD
You guys DO know that there are heaps of games made for MAC right?

I wouldn't say heaps. I would say a fraction of the games made for Windows end up on Mac. It's missing a ton of great games, which is why it's not ideal for gaming, that and the insane prices.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_games I understand what you mean though, there are LESS games on MAC than PC, but like you said, if it comes to that you can always dual boot.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_games I understand what you mean though, there are LESS games on MAC than PC, but like you said, if it comes to that you can always dual boot.

The problem is, why are you paying the insane price for a mac just to dual boot Windows? That's pointless and a stupid decision.
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_games I understand what you mean though, there are LESS games on MAC than PC, but like you said, if it comes to that you can always dual boot.

The problem is, why are you paying the insane price for a mac just to dual boot Windows? That's pointless and a stupid decision.

This.
creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts
Why not get a normal laptop. HP would be my suggestion, and just get extended warranty? I have a Compaq laptop, 4 years old now and the hardware is out-dated as hell, but I have dropped it twice (not on purpose) and carry it around quite a bit. It still performs exactly as it did 4 years ago.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Spellingiscool"][QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_games I understand what you mean though, there are LESS games on MAC than PC, but like you said, if it comes to that you can always dual boot.

This.

Why do people use Linux when Windows offers the same? Basically it's up to user choice. Some people need MACs for work. Other need MACs for study. Others just like the MAC OS better and the MAC Software better. I'm not arguing about price, they ARE overpriced.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Spellingiscool"][QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"] The problem is, why are you paying the insane price for a mac just to dual boot Windows? That's pointless and a stupid decision.

This.

Why do people use Linux when Windows offers the same? Basically it's up to user choice. Some people need MACs for work. Other need MACs for study. Others just like the MAC OS better and the MAC Software better. I'm not arguing about price, they ARE overpriced.

1st of all, Windows and Linux do not offer the same stuff. Saying so is stupid. 2nd of all, nobody NEEDS macs for work or study. Their employer might require one, but it's not because of anything extra a mac has, it's because of ignorance. 3rd of all, It shouldn't matter what OS they like more because if they're going to be dual booting Windows all the time, why even pay the ridiculous money for OSX?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Spellingiscool"] This.

1st of all, Windows and Linux do not offer the same stuff. Saying so is stupid. 2nd of all, nobody NEEDS macs for work or study. Their employer might require one, but it's not because of anything extra a mac has, it's because of ignorance. 3rd of all, It shouldn't matter what OS they like more because if they're going to be dual booting Windows all the time, why even pay the ridiculous money for OSX?

1st, I was using the Windows-Linux comparison as an example. Like for Internet and Emails. Geez. 2nd, Some companies have their infrastructure on Windows, others have it on Mac so depending on the network, a Mac or PC is needed. A MAC Technician friend of mine installs Mac Networks in our city. For example there is a company that uses a specific MAC software to do all their appointments, calendars, database etc. There IS a Windows version but it's buggy and doesn't work correctly. MACs are needed here. 3rd, yes, I was just saying that if they like the MAC OS, and are happy with the list of games available, they don't need Windows.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I had a macbook and liked it for what it did, but since you're on a budget, I can't recommend buying a Mac. If you can buy a macbook in your price range, you won't be playing many games on it.

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eternal-Entity

Oh, those are some good ideas. And the reason why I chose apple was because they are light. Are there any light non-apple laptops? I never knew any existed.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Oh, those are some good ideas. And the reason why I chose apple was because they are light. Are there any light non-apple laptops? I never knew any existed.

Eternal-Entity

If you game on the go, the Alienware M11x is quite good.

CrazyUkrainian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CrazyUkrainian
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I am starting to think that the OP is crazier than I.......and look at my name
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
I am starting to think that the OP is crazier than I.......and look at my nameCrazyUkrainian
Lol
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

Eternal-Entity
There are HEAPS of light Windows Laptops.....
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CaptainAhab13
There are many, many light laptops. Get a Mac if you legitimately want a Mac. If you want a gaming machine for work on the side, get a Windows-based laptop.
Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eternal-Entity

Oh, so I guess I will get a windows one then. I did not even think light windows laptops existed, but after your suggestions, I looked on Alienware and found some. I had been advised not to buy from there though. And they do look a bit pricey... Futureshop and Bestbuy in Canada do not have any light ones either.. Any other good Canadian stores or international websites I should know of?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside

Oh, so I guess I will get a windows one then. I did not even think light windows laptops existed, but after your suggestions, I looked on Alienware and found some. I had been advised not to buy from there though. And they do look a bit pricey... Futureshop and Bestbuy in Canada do not have any light ones either.. Any other good Canadian stores or international websites I should know of?

Eternal-Entity
Look into ASUS brand. They really good gaming laptops.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

1. don't buy apple laptops, desktops, or dedicated music devices.

2. don't buy a gaming laptop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Eternal-Entity
The only ultra light Apple notebook is the air, which is a dedicated facebook machine.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

:lol:

alienware and mac in the same thread. trolololol

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

SAGE_OF_FIRE
Your post is so full of wrong I don't know where to begin, or even if I should...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

FelipeInside

Your post is so full of wrong I don't know where to begin, or even if I should...

What's wrong with it?

TC if you're worried people might steal your notebook you should use this.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

SAGE_OF_FIRE

What's wrong with it?

- There is nothing wrong with Apple laptops or desktops, although they are overpriced - An iPod is a great device, so much so that it's taken other music devices out of the market to the point of extinct - There is nothing wrong with buying a gaming laptop. Lots of people do it cause they want mobile gaming.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

I would never buy an apple computer for any reason. But nothing is wrong with an Ipod. I bought mine for $5 and 2 beers. Great battery life, that's the only good thing I can say about apple products.

I use my phone over my Ipod now for the car with bluetooth, but the Ipod is still good for the gym.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Your post is so full of wrong I don't know where to begin, or even if I should...FelipeInside
What's wrong with it?

- There is nothing wrong with Apple laptops or desktops, although they are overpriced Exactly, they are overpriced. You are paying a premium for the same hardware because "it just werks." - An iPod is a great device, so much so that it's taken other music devices out of the market to the point of extinctIt's not a bad device but it's inferior to other dedicated music players on the market (cowon etc) - There is nothing wrong with buying a gaming laptop. Lots of people do it cause they want mobile gaming. Like before you're paying a premium for hardware that performs poorly compared to desktop pcs. You're not going to have a very powerful laptop that is also extremely lightweight and portable.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside
^^ Ur missing the point. Not everybody that games on laptops want to play Crysis 2 on Ultra High.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CaptainAhab13
I can honestly say that I love Apple products, but I will be picking up a dedicated gaming PC desktop as soon as I have the money. :P
Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Eternal-Entity

http://ca.asus.com/en/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX21E/#specifications

I looked at all the "Superior Mobility" ones, believing the mobility to mean light and slim.

Is this a smart choice?

Sorry about asking so much. I am not good at being a consumer. I have always had my girlfriend or my parents buy my stuff. But when my girlfriend buys me stuff, she spends over $50,000 of my money in a day, and when my parents buy me stuff, it usually breaks in a month and I have warranty issues. This will be my first tech buy by myself, so that is why I am asking around on forums. This forum is the only one that replies to me so far, so all my questions just keep popping up.

And yea, I am not going to be playing Crysis 2. I play a little bit of Black Light Retribution, some MMORPG like Dekaron, a Yu-Gi-Oh online duel accelarator, and I watch videos for my work out (I just got my 8 pack about 2 months ago, and I do not ever want to lose it). Other than that, I just do work. I am a Criminology Major, doing my Masters for Notary Law since my parents already bought me an office and everything. 7 classes a semester. I hope that gives you an idea of what is good idea for computer for me.

And I need the laptop with me because I do research on the government. I have worked with Vancouver Police Department for 1 year, but now they all hate me. I am one of those people who most people would call, "conspiracy theorist" but I research facts and I love statistics, so I question every study done. This makes government, police, professors, and most "cool" kids hate me. If my laptop was stolen, not only would the information would be taken, but it would be smashed to pieces like my last ones. Two $20,000 laptops being smashed is a little too much, so this time I want something cheap, and light, (but not garbage like old score intel pentium stuff) that I can keep with me, and if it does break, no big deal.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside

^^

No, it's not a gaming laptop. It's just a portable laptop for work or study or just general use (word, excel, internet, movies, email etc)

You won't get an ultra light gaming laptop, just a portable fairly light one.

Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Eternal-Entity

Oh, so basically, if I want to do any kind of gaming on it, it will be heavier? Will one of the multi-media ones work for games? Or will the gaming power houses be my only option? I do not do too much gaming, but I do not like just having a simple "work" laptop, so I thought there might be a way to compromise, but maybe it was not meant to be so. :(

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

Oh, so basically, if I want to do any kind of gaming on it, it will be heavier? Will one of the multi-media ones work for games? Or will the gaming power houses be my only option? I do not do too much gaming, but I do not like just having a simple "work" laptop, so I thought there might be a way to compromise, but maybe it was not meant to be so. :(

Eternal-Entity

You can compromise.

There are some gaming laptops that are portable and not too big, and they will play most games on High or Medium.

If you want full power out of a laptop then you have to get a heavy powerhouse.

If ur looking for ultra light, ultra thin then you won't be able to game on it, unless it's older games or flash based games.

CrazyUkrainian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CrazyUkrainian
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

http://ca.asus.com/en/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX21E/#specifications

I looked at all the "Superior Mobility" ones, believing the mobility to mean light and slim.

Is this a smart choice?

Sorry about asking so much. I am not good at being a consumer. I have always had my girlfriend or my parents buy my stuff. But when my girlfriend buys me stuff, she spends over $50,000 of my money in a day, and when my parents buy me stuff, it usually breaks in a month and I have warranty issues. This will be my first tech buy by myself, so that is why I am asking around on forums. This forum is the only one that replies to me so far, so all my questions just keep popping up.

And yea, I am not going to be playing Crysis 2. I play a little bit of Black Light Retribution, some MMORPG like Dekaron, a Yu-Gi-Oh online duel accelarator, and I watch videos for my work out (I just got my 8 pack about 2 months ago, and I do not ever want to lose it). Other than that, I just do work. I am a Criminology Major, doing my Masters for Notary Law since my parents already bought me an office and everything. 7 classes a semester. I hope that gives you an idea of what is good idea for computer for me.

And I need the laptop with me because I do research on the government. I have worked with Vancouver Police Department for 1 year, but now they all hate me. I am one of those people who most people would call, "conspiracy theorist" but I research facts and I love statistics, so I question every study done. This makes government, police, professors, and most "cool" kids hate me. If my laptop was stolen, not only would the information would be taken, but it would be smashed to pieces like my last ones. Two $20,000 laptops being smashed is a little too much, so this time I want something cheap, and light, (but not garbage like old score intel pentium stuff) that I can keep with me, and if it does break, no big deal.

Eternal-Entity
Now I know he is full of **** $50,000 in a day. Another pre-teen on the forums.