Anyone try out Linux lately?

#1 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (2874 posts) -

I used Linux (Manjaro) from 2013 to 2015, as well as multiple other distros. I found Manjaro was my preferred distro because of how it's managed, and the fact it's a rolling release. Anyway, I stopped using linux for a few years after I had bought a new PC, and than another new PC, and gave my old PC along with my spare HDD to someone after buying a new one. Anyway, I found Manjaro at the time to be kinda buggy, and unstable, which shouldn't have been a surprise since it was still in it's very early dev stages. Now coming back to Linux/Manjaro...damn, a lot has improved here in the last few years. WAY more stable, way more games are compatible with Linux, including Doom 2016 which to my surprise actually runs flawlessly. I think Linux has gotten quite a bit closer to the elusive state of being a windows replacement. But of course, there are still tons of games that are still not compatible, but a lot of progress has still been made.

Also want to point out, I have gotten past the honeymoon phase of being a new linux user, and trashes other distros, I've found that there really is nothing wrong with any linux distro, and you should use whatever works best for you.

#2 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42361 posts) -

One day I would like to try Linux but I find myself not being inconvenienced or outraged enough by Windows and Microsoft.

Really love the whole idea of Linux, though. If we ever get off of DirectX and on to something A.) open-platform and B.) universally adopted, I would totally be on board with a non-Windows OS.

I mean DirectX is the whole problem with Linux, gaming-wise, yes? Or do I have that wrong?

#3 Edited by AlexKidd5000 (2874 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

One day I would like to try Linux but I find myself not being inconvenienced or outraged enough by Windows and Microsoft.

Really love the whole idea of Linux, though.

Yeah, I started using Linux when Windows 8 came out, but went back after 10 came out, and was not nearly as crappy.

Same, I really love the idea of using all open source software, on a fully open hardware platform, always have. Linux is kinda like a combo of classic OS's from back in the day, and new modern ones. The terminal is pretty much completely optional nowadays, which is good, since thats the part of Linux that scares off potential new users. Personally, I love using the command terminal, it's akin to using the console in PC games, but for the OS itself instead.

#4 Posted by osan0 (15219 posts) -

its my daily driver on my gaming PC. I use Solus which is a rolling release like manjaro but they are a bit more conservative with updating things. i use an R5 1500X and an RX 580 4GB so a rolling release is ideal for that.

yeah in the gaming department it certainly has come on leaps and bounds. i mean rise of the tomb raider looks and runs better than tomb raider on my PC: they have done a lot on the drivers to improve performance and reliability. 5 years ago the idea of using an AMD GPU for linux gaming was laughable due to the old driver and bugs. games were only supported on nvidia. now its a completely different story.

Steam play/proton is also a great initiative to get windows games running on linux and hopefully more games will be up and running on it soon. Lutris was also quite good but its not as seamless (which is understandable). Doom also runs wonderfully on my system and the last remenant has been fine in my experience (these are the only 2 steam play games i have tried so far).

#5 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (2874 posts) -

@osan0: Man, I remember running my old HD 6870 on linux back in 2013 for the first time, and seeing Amnesia running at like 5fps on the open source AMD drivers. The closed nvidia drivers are really good as well, my GTX 1080 works really well.

Seems to work really well, and hope to see way more games coming over to the Linux side!

#6 Edited by pyro1245 (4257 posts) -

I'm always running a few linux distros on my servers and VMs... I tend to stick to just command line. Running UNRAID (slackware), with a few Ubuntu Server VMs. As well as some dockers which I think are basically arch containers. They're all more or less the same, just different package managers and different set of pre-installed tools.

The software I use like SolidWorks and Visual Studio dictates that I use Windows 10 on my desktop. Gaming as well is a bit easier on Windows, though this has been changing.

If I were going to switch to a Linux desktop experience, I would probably just use Ubuntu because I am used to it. I've heard the desktop experience has gotten a lot better than it was 10 years ago. I'd probably still do everything via command line :)

The Level1Techs forums and YouTube channel does a lot of gaming on linux content. A good resource if that's what you're going for.

#7 Posted by Ovirew (8394 posts) -

I think Linux will always appeal more to the tech-savvy and those who really don't like the restrictiveness of Windows. For the casual OS user, it's like learning a brand new language.

#8 Edited by Yams1980 (3031 posts) -

I'll likely toss Linux onto a partition far down the road when windows 7 is "unsafe" or whatever from no updates. I'd still use windows 7 just keep it mostly offline and use Linux as online.

I have windows 10 on a multiboot partition just incase i do need to run a game on it, but i hate it so much i haven't booted into it for several months. The second i do i know it'll probably try to spend all day downloading updates and causing me headaches.

Not exactly sure what windows 10 is useful for. Any games that require are those trash windows store games which i can live without. And dx12 is useless. Vulcan seems to be the way real games developers go if they require similar dx12 technology.

Its a bit tricky to get windows 7 installed on a new cpu/motherboard. But with a dedicated pci-e usb adapter, its alright. Just don't have any access to onboard usbs on the motherboard (intel z390s that is, but i was able to get onboard usbs working with my ryzen 1700x board).

It does beat not having to use windows 10 and have microsoft data log all and expose my private information. Also gotta do offline w7 updates as well since the built in updater won't run.

I'm hoping at some point Linux will get so good it'll get nearly fully backwards compatible with all windows games. Kinda like how these days you can run Dosbox and practically all dos games. I can see this with windows games at some point in linux, some of their Wine layer apps or whatever they call it actually does work from what i seen with some games with varied success.

#9 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24528 posts) -

I've used some form of Linux for many years, starting with Slackware 3.4 back in 1995. I had to scrounge drivers and do a lot of editing to get XFree86 running and enable X11 (X Window).

From that time up to now, I don't see any compelling need to switch to Linux. I do use LUbuntu, the lightweight version of Ubuntu on my old computers, both running natively or via virtualization. But, it's still Windows on my primary computers.

Quite honestly, if I want a spiffy Unix-based OS, I just use OSX on the Macs or iOS and Android on mobile.

#10 Edited by AlexKidd5000 (2874 posts) -
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I've used some form of Linux for many years, starting with Slackware 3.4 back in 1995. I had to scrounge drivers and do a lot of editing to get XFree86 running and enable X11 (X Window).

From that time up to now, I don't see any compelling need to switch to Linux. I do use LUbuntu, the lightweight version of Ubuntu on my old computers, both running natively or via virtualization. But, it's still Windows on my primary computers.

Quite honestly, if I want a spiffy Unix-based OS, I just use OSX on the Macs or iOS and Android on mobile.

But OSX requires over priced hardware to use :P

#11 Posted by with_teeth26 (9104 posts) -

I use Ubuntu 16/18 and Centos 7 for testing stuff at work but never tried Linux for gaming

#12 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24528 posts) -
@AlexKidd5000 said:

But OSX requires over priced hardware to use :P

Maybe. But, similarly high quality Windows pre-built PCs and laptops are priced high as well. My wife's new Sager laptop is over US $2k. Every laptop she's had since 2002 have been a Sager.

As far as polish and support, OSX is very well-supported. Even at its worst glitchiness, OSX was still better than most Linux distros I've used.

Also, most Linux apps have been ported to Windows and OSX, even some KDE applets I liked. What Linux needs are exclusives for people to really adopt it. ;)

#13 Edited by xantufrog (10068 posts) -

I use Ubuntu (home), Debian (home) and Redhat (work) daily. I also have Mint and Bodhi kicking around. I'm definitely a debian-based guy. Not a fan of our Redhat systems. I game sometimes on my Ubuntu machine - but since I dualboot Windows 10, I usually game on Windows. GTX970, and Radeon R7 260X both worked fine on it. I do try to install games on Linux when I can to try them out and (when the info is collected) send a signal to Steam/devs that there's interest in those versions

#14 Edited by xantufrog (10068 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: oh man, I've had so many more problems with OSX than Ubuntu. I find it to be a slow and glitch-prone alternative to Ubuntu, honestly. But this is from a laboratory use perspective - clearly OSX does offer much more (and more polished) consumer software

#15 Posted by osan0 (15219 posts) -

@xantufrog: oh wow bodhi. that brings back memories. i remember running a much much older version of that on a laptop designed to run windows Xp (that kind of old). it looked and ran great on what was very limited hardware. it helped get a few more years out of that laptop before it finally kicked the bucket.

nice to see its still going. i just had a quick look at the newest version and it looks nice.

#16 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10231 posts) -

At work our servers run on Redhat and that's about it. I have no interesst in using Linux in private and I'm happy my workstation has Windows installed.

#18 Edited by PDR60 (27 posts) -

Interesting posts, I'm actually running Kubuntu Linux now. I've been running Linux for my desktop since about 2000. I only recently have had to install windows 10 for gaming since games started using directx 12. I didn't bother carving a separate partition as its just as easy to install it on its own drive and use a bios boot selector. For my system (gigabyte) its f12, arrow down to the windows disk and boot into 10. I started out my career as a windows/cisco admin and have ended up in Unix and Linux at work. Gaming in Linux fluctuates quite a bit. I play many games in a program called play on linux which is a nice front end for wine and only boot to windows when I have to. Titles like Diablo 3, Starcraft and some older titles run fine in Linux. No problems. Titles like Fallout 4 and 76 ( which I haven't purchased yet) need direct x 11 and 12 and will have to run in windows 10 for now. I would encourage everyone in the IT field to get a hard drive and load up some version of linux and start using it to learn the systems. If you want to make more money, know more than the next guy. Good *nix folks are hard to find.

But this is a gaming site so no big deal. We have to run what will support the games we want to play. I must say, once you get all the options disabled in windows 10, it runs pretty good. I only use it for gaming so I don't need all the resource hogging "features". Slimmed down, it runs pretty nice and has never had an issue with anything I've thrown at it. If anyone has any Linux questions feel free to ask.

#19 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24528 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

@jun_aka_pekto: oh man, I've had so many more problems with OSX than Ubuntu. I find it to be a slow and glitch-prone alternative to Ubuntu, honestly. But this is from a laboratory use perspective - clearly OSX does offer much more (and more polished) consumer software

Not me. From a consumer perspective, OSX has been much better. That's all I use it for. For more technical stuff, I'd stick with Windows and Linux. But, for the more involved technical stuff such as the VMware vSphere system, it's pretty much Windows which is surprising to me. Of course, there are clients for Linux and OSX. But, for the server stuff, it's gotta be Windows-based.

Anyway, I use LUbuntu for native installs and Ubuntu for VMs like in VirtualBox:

Still, I like the spiffy and polished OSX for home use. ;) But, putting things in perspective, I still like Windows the best, warts and all. Sorry. ;)

I figured I'd fire up the old Mac Mini. It's been a while since I last updated it.

#20 Posted by xantufrog (10068 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: yeah Windows is a lot better than people give it credit for. I've had my share of disagreements with Windows over the years but it's actually a pretty good combo of reliability and customizability.

#21 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24528 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

@jun_aka_pekto: yeah Windows is a lot better than people give it credit for. I've had my share of disagreements with Windows over the years but it's actually a pretty good combo of reliability and customizability.

Depends.

Windows 3.x - meh. It's not even a real OS. It's just a layer above MS-DOS. I had to install the separate MS-DOS first and then Windows 3.x. Sucks. ;)

It even has its own executable win.exe. Operating system my butt. He He. We always laughed about it back then. ;)

Windows 9x - Not a big fan either.

Windows 2K - Yumm.

Windows XP - meh. It's auto IRQ allocation and sharing felt flaky sometimes. First attempts by MS are sometimes iffy.

Windows Vista - Yumm. Sure, it's a hog. But, it felt more solid than XP. It ran decently on my PC of the time. Once the SPs were applied, it felt quite optimized.

Windows 7 and later? - Yumm. They all felt solid to me.

#22 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4473 posts) -

I've been using Mint for close to a year now. I like it and have enough games to keep me busy.