Anyone know a MMO that you can solo all the way through?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Creedguy20002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Creedguy20002
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

The newest post about this topic was from a year ago...so I thought I'd make a new post. I'm looking to start playing an MMO, but I don't always have a lot of time, so playing in groups is difficult. Is there an MMO that you can solo all the way through? I don't care about NPCs, those are fine. And please, let's not start the whole "if you don't want to play with people, don't play MMOs" argument. Last time I checked, there aren't any non-MMO RPGs that are consistently updated.

Thanks!!!

Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
That is truth though my friend; accept the fact and join an MMO without the intent to become the best of the best. Don't get so fixated on having the best gear.
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

By all the way through, do you mean max out your character or do all the endgame content (like raids in WoW)?

Creedguy20002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Creedguy20002

Being able to get through end game content would be cool. I know you can't really "beat" most MMOs, but it would be nice to get close.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Well, in WoW i got to over level 60 and never joined any kind of clan or anything. I occasionally needed help in certain areas and just found someone to help me, but i don't think it would be too hard to get to 80 in WoW alone.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

In guild wars you kind of can, theres probably parts where you can't because of difficulty, but its a great game and probably the closest thing to what you are looking for

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

guildwars..... ff14 (its not as bad as the review says, kevin V is retarded)Roland123_basic

I dissagree with many of Kevin's review scores, but you knwo what? his writting is well done and in the end its jsut HIS opinion.

I always look forward to hsi reviews, even if I completeely dissagree with the score he gives some games (Alpha Protocol, Risen and Elemental are a few examples of games I LOVED, but he gave low scores to).

In the end its just his opinion, from one person and nothing more, the guy is not a retard that is rude.

Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"]guildwars..... ff14 (its not as bad as the review says, kevin V is retarded)kozzy1234

I dissagree with many of Kevin's review scores, but you knwo what? his writting is well done and in the end its jsut HIS opinion.

I always look forward to hsi reviews, even if I completeely dissagree with the score he gives some games (Alpha Protocol, Risen and Elemental are a few examples of games I LOVED, but he gave low scores to).

In the end its just his opinion, from one person and nothing more, the guy is not a retard that is rude.

if he consistently produces review scores that are not representative of the actual quality/entertainment value of the game, then yeah... at the very least, he isnt doing his job properly. get over it.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"]guildwars..... ff14 (its not as bad as the review says, kevin V is retarded)Roland123_basic

if he consistently produces review scores that are not representative of the actual quality/entertainment value of the game, then yeah... at the very least, he isnt doing his job properly. get over it.

the problem being the "actual" quality of a game is subjective, so every review he makes is representative of the game's actual quality

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

You can get to LVL 80 in WoW without ever joining a group....but once end game comes, you need to at least run heroics (5 mans) just to get some decent gear...I dont get people who want to solo an MMO...Why not just play a singleplayer game then? lol. You can play morrowind and you get the same effect...I love how you need to place certain roles in MMO to help your group out...I love healing and/or tanking!

Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Roland123_basic

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

ohthemanatee

the problem being the "actual" quality of a game is subjective, so every review he makes is representative of the game's actual quality

no... the metacritic score is representative of the actual quality/entertainment value of the game.... the average of all reviews posted. one opinion on its own is just an opinion..... a lot of opinions combined together becomes consensus, or "generally accepted truth" Kevin V's reviews are rarely in line with the consensus.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24003 Posts

Plenty of modern MMOs are designed around the philosophy of being able to reach max level solo. WAR, EQ2, WoW, A lot of Korean MMOs out there, Technically EvE online although that game doesnt have levels, AoC are some examples I can think of. You might wanna try FF14 but just like every other new MMO that comes out, I would recommend to give it a few more months in the oven.

Roland, was the Kevin insulting really necessary? Kevin's writing is great and even though I disagree with him almost all the time, a good writer is still a good writer and he is just as entitled to his opinion as you are to yours. You may not like him but don't insult him over the boards, he might read it and be offended. Despite disagreeing with him in a lot of reviews, his actual posting history on these boards (and on Gamefaqs) have been absolutely golden, where he once wrote a long description on what a review is. I cant find it anymore and I salvaged what I remember from that post and added some of my own words to write a blog on what a review is.

Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Roland123_basic

Plenty of modern MMOs are designed around the philosophy of being able to reach max level solo. WAR, EQ2, WoW, A lot of Korean MMOs out there, Technically EvE online although that game doesnt have levels, AoC are some examples I can think of. You might wanna try FF14 but just like every other new MMO that comes out, I would recommend to give it a few more months in the oven.

Roland, was the Kevin insulting really necessary? Kevin's writing is great and even though I disagree with him almost all the time, a good writer is still a good writer and he is just as entitled to his opinion as you are to yours. You may not like him but don't insult him over the boards, he might read it and be offended. Despite disagreeing with him in a lot of reviews, his actual posting history on these boards (and on Gamefaqs) have been absolutely golden, where he once wrote a long description on what a review is. I cant find it anymore and I salvaged what I remember from that post and added some of my own words to write a blog on what a review is.

Maroxad

why would i care if he read it and was offended? i have been a member of the gamespot community since long before it was even gamespot.... and merely videogames.com. all i have seen is this website go down the crapper year after year, with reviewers that intentionally inflate or deflate scores just to get attention, news that is incorrect or misrepresented, and gamespot staffers that cant even be bothered to crosscheck their facts with their OWN news stories before posting incorrect information.

i have read every review that Kevin V has posted on this website, and while they are well written, the scores are rarely consistent with the metacritic consensus. he nitpicks certain games that are real gems, and gives games that are generic and trivial complete passes for the same problems.

the review process here on gamespot is, IN MY OPINION, in complete shambles. ever since they went away from the scoring system to this BS "reward" system, as well as taking away incremental scoring (8.1,8.2, 8.3....) and went with a .5 system, scores just cannot be trusted. it is too easy for reviewers to downgrade a game a full point when the problem may only deserve a .6 deduction.... thus a game receives a 7.0 instead of a 7.4 or something of the sort.

gametrailers is pretty much the ONLY website that has "fairly" reliable reviews anymore, and even their record is not spotless. to me, it is a shame that gamespot has become merely a website to check release dates and catch trailers, and not a website that can be trusted for its content and integrity.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

The P2P MMO's that are out now that I enjoy the most are: FF14, EQ2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, and Vanguard. afaik you can solo your way through the game in any of those. Some classes make it easier than others, but it still can be done.

Warhammer is a good one if you don't have a lot of time, because you can do some of the quests while you queue up for the PvP arena matches, play a couple of those (they dont last very long), go back to your solo missions.. or stumble upon a public quest, where just by being in the area and helping out you'll get rewards, you don't have to be grouped or spend a lot of time there. And if you have more time you can do the RvR type stuff, join a large group and try and take or defend some castles.

That's just one recommendation.. some people really like WAR and others dont, but I think all of the above games might be worth checking out.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24003 Posts

why would i care if he read it and was offended? i have been a member of the gamespot community since long before it was even gamespot.... and merely videogames.com. all i have seen is this website go down the crapper year after year, with reviewers that intentionally inflate or deflate scores just to get attention, news that is incorrect or misrepresented, and gamespot staffers that cant even be bothered to crosscheck their facts with their OWN news stories before posting incorrect information.

i have read every review that Kevin V has posted on this website, and while they are well written, the scores are rarely consistent with the metacritic consensus. he nitpicks certain games that are real gems, and gives games that are generic and trivial complete passes for the same problems.

the review process here on gamespot is, IN MY OPINION, in complete shambles. ever since they went away from the scoring system to this BS "reward" system, as well as taking away incremental scoring (8.1,8.2, 8.3....) and went with a .5 system, scores just cannot be trusted. it is too easy for reviewers to downgrade a game a full point when the problem may only deserve a .6 deduction.... thus a game receives a 7.0 instead of a 7.4 or something of the sort.

gametrailers is pretty much the ONLY website that has "fairly" reliable reviews anymore, and even their record is not spotless. to me, it is a shame that gamespot has become merely a website to check release dates and catch trailers, and not a website that can be trusted for its content and integrity.

Roland123_basic

Why you shouldn't offend him, because of several reasons some more obvious than others. For instance, there forums have been known to be rather strict, not as strict as gamefaqs though. Second, it is just not very nice.

He just have different opinion I stated just as well as you did that neither of us agree with the scores and we both said that the reviews are well written. I was very disappointed in Civ 5 yet Kevin gave it a 9 with the video review being nothing but praise. He also stated Demons Souls was very hard, and I died like 4 times (one of them being forced) whoopee do. With that said, his score on FF14 seems right, I haven't played it but all I have heard from people whining about how the game sucks, naturally it is a new MMO, so it is not going to be as good as some who have been in there for years. Further proof that the majority seem to hate it is the user reviews, on Amazon for instance the game has a rating of 2/5 which matches Kevin's rating perfectly. On gamespot's system wars there was a thread of how the game flopped and it reached over 300 posts, with nearly everyone especially people who played it said it was pretty terrible.

The review process in Gamespot is in a complete mess atm, but so are 99% of all review sources out there. Selling and advertising is too big too miss nowadays. My advice is to find a reviewer you generally agree with and stick with his opinion, and do research about games. If I had gone for reviews only, I would never have played Mount and Blade, EvE online or Mirrors Edge.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
That depends on what the end of an MMO is to you. If it's just the max level, almost all of them are solo-able.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"] if he consistently produces review scores that are not representative of the actual quality/entertainment value of the game, then yeah... at the very least, he isnt doing his job properly. get over it.Roland123_basic

no... the metacritic score is representative of the actual quality/entertainment value of the game.... the average of all reviews posted. one opinion on its own is just an opinion..... a lot of opinions combined together becomes consensus, or "generally accepted truth" Kevin V's reviews are rarely in line with the consensus.

actually the metacritic score is just a bunch of subjectivity lumped together into one whole subjective score. No matter the consensus, it's still an opinion.

In fact, the freedictionary.com lists consesus as : "An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole"

Whether or not you agree with Kevin V is up to you, I often don't agree with him, but it doesn't change the matter at hand that in the end these are all oppinions

Creedguy20002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Creedguy20002

Thanks for all the answers everybody...all the information is really helpful.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Thanks for all the answers everybody...all the information is really helpful.

Creedguy20002

You can easily get to max level in WOW without ever joining a party.

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

Well, in WoW i got to over level 60 and never joined any kind of clan or anything. I occasionally needed help in certain areas and just found someone to help me, but i don't think it would be too hard to get to 80 in WoW alone.

hoola

u never join clan ,how did u improve equipment