Anyone else sometimes hate being an experienced gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
I can't play with my friends or family because there's no competition with them and they get frustrated :( Anyone else wish they could just be an average noob some times?
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

Well, you can fiddle with the handicap in fighting games, at least :p

Actually, for the sake of this forum, I think your thread should be more like.. 'I wish my family and friends were as good at the games as I was, and enjoyed it as much, yet never asked to play or use any of the games while I wanted to use them unless I want to play at the same time.'

crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 crimson_axe
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

I miss the feeling of newness - that's about it.

When I load in a new MMO, I sort of already know how it works. There's no discovery in it anymore. When I play a new FPS, it's sort of like "Been there, done that...". Probably the only genres I don't feel "old" in are the RPGs, but that's basically because the mechanics are more or less overshadowed by whether or not the storyline and content is actually enjoyable.

Nowadays, I've become a big fan of Level Design, and you mostly only get great level design out of Action/Adventures or Platformers.

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zero9167
lol but then that hurts their morale :lol:
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zero9167

When I load in a new MMO, I sort of already know how it works. There's no discovery in it anymore. When I play a new FPS, it's sort of like "Been there, done that...". Probably the only genres I don't feel "old" in are the RPGs, but that's basically because the mechanics are more or less overshadowed by whether or not the storyline and content is actually enjoyable.

Nowadays, I've become a big fan of Level Design, and you mostly only get great level design out of Action/Adventures or Platformers.

crimson_axe
Yeah i've been going through the same thing lately. Have you got the new tomb raider yet? its a great platformer that i actually DONT feel the "been there done that". Its real fun to play when my other games get old. For MMOs, hopefully Age Of Conan will add the new feeling, which i honestly think it will. There's a lot more to it than just real time combat.
BangsLiekWhoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 BangsLiekWhoa
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts
you could just not play for like a year then you would be more on their level. lol.
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts
I know what you mean. Can't really face against people not online, and 90% of games never have that new feeling or it lasts for like the opening level. Also, going back to older games (like PD on N64) the ai is sooooo bad compared to live people in shooters now.
danharr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 danharr
Member since 2005 • 234 Posts
Why don't you focus on a gaming genera your not an expert at? Then you and the others would be on an equal footing until you master that genera as well.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zero9167
Why don't you focus on a gaming genera your not an expert at? Then you and the others would be on an equal footing until you master that genera as well.danharr
sadly im good at all genres my friends like :( lol.. it sucks i know They just need to get better! for RTS games i tell them to watch replays and stuff, and they are just like WTF why would i want to watch someone else play?!!? TO WIN !! :lol:
Monki0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Monki0
Member since 2006 • 521 Posts
I love being inexperience, l like the trill of learning a new game no matter i much i suck. As long as its fun but i see more and more people judge a game of how much people can "pwnszer" instead of pure enjoyability. Thats why i call super mario for the snes th best game ever. my opinion
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

I can't play with my friends or family because there's no competition with them and they get frustrated :( Anyone else wish they could just be an average noob some times?zero9167

Nah, I'm a single-player gamer, mostly. No worries!

AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
No, I don't.
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts
No, I don't.AngelB1ack
Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

Nah, I'm a single-player gamer, mostly. No worries!

lokstah
Same here, last game i played online was Need For Speed Underground, kicked everyone's asses with my maxed out Civic, then got pwned by cheaters, lol.
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts
Calling yourself an experienced gamer is like calling yourself an experienced stamp collector or chess player. Which is alright, but I wouldn't get too smug.
crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crimson_axe
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts
[QUOTE="crimson_axe"]

zero9167

Yeah i've been going through the same thing lately. Have you got the new tomb raider yet? its a great platformer that i actually DONT feel the "been there done that". Its real fun to play when my other games get old. For MMOs, hopefully Age Of Conan will add the new feeling, which i honestly think it will. There's a lot more to it than just real time combat.

Actually, when I was talking about Level Design, I was thinking of that game specifically. A lot of people disregard how important a good level design is, and the original Tomb Raider (now glorified in Anniversery) is about as good as it gets no matter what year we're talking.

I remember "some" parts of the game, but most of it is extremely foriegn. I'm, stuck on it at the moment though. i just entered the Scion of Atlantis level or whatever, and the first puzzle has stumped me. Maybe I was just too tired to deal with it for the moment. No matter, there is always tomorrow.

But yeah, great level design can go a long way. The great thing about Tomb Raider is, that it's sort of a linear path system, but it doesn't feel like it. I don't know how to explain it, but it's like every room I go into and complete, I somehow feel like I did it the "unintended way".

Prince of Persia was like that for me as well, where I just got lost in the levels, forgetting about pretty much everything. It just sucked me in, and I was completely absorbed in the subject matter. Well worth the bargain bin price I payed of $7 for two copies. That's one of those games I sort of bought later on because I wasn't sure of it, but then once I started playing and realised I had beat it - I was asking myself why I waited so long to get it. I would have gladly paid $40-50 for a game like that. Here's hoping Assassin's Creed will be that good...

Age of Conan looked a whole heck of a lot better a year ago. The anticipation has sort of run its course now, and I feel sort of like "Meh.... you had me at hello, and lost me at delayed... for the second time." I think it all falls back onto Level Design for me, and that's something MMO's just don't have. Guildwars had it, but it wasn't exactly an MMO, and the rest of the game sucked - so it's a double edges sword. I'll still get Conan though. At least it looks refreshing. That and Tabula Rasa and MAYBE Chronicles of Spellborn.

Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Minglis
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

i am just the best at everything i do and i wouldnt change it,

even if i am only partially human

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts
I have played games since the old c64 days. I have had almost every gaming platform since and played countless games. Unfortunately though what my brain wants to do and what my hands actually do are seldom the same. I'm an amazing gamer in my head, in reality though i generally get my ass kicked lol.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
I can't play with my friends or family because there's no competition with them and they get frustrated :( Anyone else wish they could just be an average noob some times?zero9167
No. Just let them win.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#20 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

newness is cool I'll admit that, when I first started gaming seriously I was like wow wow.

However If I'm playing against noobs then I'll usually mess around and go easy on them, makes it more fun :)

knife in cs :D

futs22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 futs22
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts

I know what you mean. In my circle of friends, I'm probably the best gamer now. It used to be that I had competition when it came to games since we were younger then. I miss those times, but work and other stuff takes more of our time and is up on the priority list.

Now, it seems I'm one of the few in the group that still finds time to play games and try to be good at a game. Sometimes, I just let the others play a particular game against each other and when they think they're pretty good they step-up and challenge me and then get their a$$ handed to them which makes for great fun and laughter. So in the end, even if I didn't get much of a challenge, it's still fun to hang-out with my "demoted-to-noob-gamer-status" friends and play a game like Fight Night and such. We usually play Texas hold-'em Poker and the losers usually go play videogames while waiting for the next round to poker if the game ends quickly.

DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts

your experience hasnt improved your wisdom. Teach your friends and family the way of the game.

knut-am

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 knut-am
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts

im experienced but play like a noob, does that count ? :P

knut-am

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 knut-am
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts
^^ serilusly, i think it is abnout time then that you move online you will find the good gamers there :)
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Yea i hate being a hardcore player sometimes. It means that every new game that comes out needs to meet a certain requirement, which is more often than not...let down in one way or the other. Ill nit pick at everything unconciously. Its annoying. Like ill want the great graphics great gameplay great epic music great physics great everything....i miss being ignorant to games like i was a few years back. :cry:
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zero9167
Calling yourself an experienced gamer is like calling yourself an experienced stamp collector or chess player. Which is alright, but I wouldn't get too smug.Gangans
im a very experienced gamer. and a good chess player. Umm so what. I stopped caring once i made an account on gamespot in-order to post on the forums. Leave your sterotypes to highschool :)
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zero9167

your experience hasnt improved your wisdom. Teach your friends and family the way of the game.

DrDoomed
I did try!! I told them to watch replays for C&C3 and they just said wtf why would i watch some random person play. lol oh well i guess ill just play my best, give them tips and hopefully they'll get better :) or ill just go online :P
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

Calling yourself an experienced gamer is like calling yourself an experienced stamp collector or chess player. Which is alright, but I wouldn't get too smug.Gangans

Whats his issue? ^^ :?

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts

I like being really skilled at games. Mind you i have several friends who are good so there's always that push to be better than them.

If all i had to play with were noobs that i could steam roll through i would get very bored. But there are some times i enjoy sitting back and beating them because i can take a break from the hardcore people and relax for a little.

But simple answer to this topic no i would never want to be inexperienced or down on their level because i know there are always people out there better than me even at my current skill level

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

i am just the best at everything i do and i wouldnt change it,

even if i am only partially human

Minglis

NowI'mafraid:P

bindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 bindip
Member since 2005 • 2585 Posts

yea i no what u mean .... but hey its the pain u have to take being a pro gamer :D

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Hmm, I guess it depends on genre for me. I'm quite average with RTS on lan with friends and online and can stand my ground on shooters and likewise pretty well.

Lan parties remain the only source of friends vs friends showdown, other then that I get my A** handed to me on console fighting games, Virtua Fighter, Tekken etc. Which is OK, as I come back and make them eat gun powder for hours In Battlefield, UT and CSS :)