Anybody get the Aliens: CM visual update patch?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

So, apparently Aliens: Colonial Marines just got a 4GB patch which includes "improved texture resolution and various visual improvements". Has anyone here even got the game? If so, have you got the patch? Does it look better? Does it look anywhere close to the infamous E3 "demo"? Take some screenshots, if you don't mind.

Or did no one get the game? :P

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 the_bi99man

So no one? Hahaha. Alright then.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Don't have the game, don't care about it, but I randomly saw a video of this patch and it's identical to what it was in that E3 demo.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Heres a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm8Yc2fEvHk

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Looks like they need a storyline and AI patch

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Friend said it looks better yes, but not as good as teh E3 videos.

Still doesn't save the horribly broken AI or all the other issues.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

tanerb

You'd have to wait for a whole new game then. I think they are making another one. I hope they do. 

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_bi99man

According the patch notes, there's also AI fixes and a mess of other stuff in this patch. Stuff that was in the 360/ps3 patch from a little bit ago, and more stuff that will be in another patch soon for the console versions. I'm just following it to see if maybe this game is eventually patched to the point that it'll be worth like $10 on a steam sale. 

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

According the patch notes, there's also AI fixes and a mess of other stuff in this patch. Stuff that was in the 360/ps3 patch from a little bit ago, and more stuff that will be in another patch soon for the console versions. I'm just following it to see if maybe this game is eventually patched to the point that it'll be worth like $10 on a steam sale.

the_bi99man

good point. Alien theme always worths a chance

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="tanerb"]

slipknot0129

You'd have to wait for a whole new game then. I think they are making another one. I hope they do. 

Gawd I hope they (Gearbox) aren't making another one. I believe it's by another studio.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="tanerb"]

Elann2008

Gawd I hope they (Gearbox) aren't making another one. I believe it's by another studio.

Creative Assembly are doing the last one for SEGA.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
All I saw was they made it darker and added film grain. I haven't yet tried it personally though.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

tanerb

good point. Alien theme always worths a chance

Pretty much the route I am taking with it as well.

S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
The update is available on Steam at the moment, and yes it is 3.5GB. I just leave it to run in the background for awhile and see how it changes (if it does, I hope so). The "original" looked so bad that anything is an improvement though :D
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_bi99man

Seems that way. Watched that video, which compares the pre-patch game, post-patch, AND the E3 demo. It looks like the patch brought back some of the details and effects from the E3 demo, such as the cracking glass in that one part, and also improves the lighting quite a bit, but still not close to where it was in the demo. 

S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 S4E
Yeah, I've seen that video as well. The difference is massive compared to what you actually got in the released game. Not only did it look like crap, but there was absolutely no feel to the game, it felt completely flat. I guess that might still be the case anyway, can't change the story for example, which was rubbish.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Good thing they are patching it, but it's probably too late for anyone to care.
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 S4E
Good thing they are patching it, but it's probably too late for anyone to care.Rattlesnake_8
I do think so too. Once something has been screwed up, it is extremely difficult to patch things up. No matter how good the improvements. To be honest, I wouldn't buy the game just because of a patch, however seeing as I already own it, I might as well check the patch out.
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 S4E
Ok, I went through the process of updating the game through Steam, and had a little play-a-round... To find out, that I can't tell any difference whatsoever, to what it was previously. It might just be me, but the game looks exactly like it was before this "patch". I didn't bother "checking" the AI fixes, because I just couldn't get myself to play it for more than half a mission. Waste of time for me anyway. If you have extra time on your hands and want to waste it, be my guest and get the update, as for me, I'm definitely done with ACM now.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]You'd have to wait for a whole new game then. I think they are making another one. I hope they do. 

pelvist

Creative Assembly are doing the last one for SEGA.

Celebration! :D
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Good thing they are patching it, but it's probably too late for anyone to care.S4E
I do think so too. Once something has been screwed up, it is extremely difficult to patch things up. No matter how good the improvements. To be honest, I wouldn't buy the game just because of a patch, however seeing as I already own it, I might as well check the patch out.

I agree. I mean, if the game was GREAT gameplay and story wise, I'd be like "yay" time to replay with better graphics. But the game is bad... and a patch for visuals isn't going to do anyone here any services.
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 S4E
[QUOTE="S4E"][QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Good thing they are patching it, but it's probably too late for anyone to care.Elann2008

I agree. I mean, if the game was GREAT gameplay and story wise, I'd be like "yay" time to replay with better graphics. But the game is bad... and a patch for visuals isn't going to do anyone here any services.

Yep, that's actually exactly what happened to me, I think. I tried the patch, and it did nothing for me. I couldn't stick even a whole mission. But like you said, story-wise this game was and is utter garbage, one of the worst "boss fights" ever and the game itself is so short as well its unbelievable. Oh well, this one is dead and buried now.