Any thoughts of the new Alienware m17x R.3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 chadwick1343
Member since 2009 • 944 Posts

Looks pretty amazing to me. I know IGN gave it best of CES but I am wondering what you all think. I am very interested in the streaming HD capabilities and 3d is great as well. Any thoughts?

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
its alienware. meaning its an overpriced dell
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

3D is cool but if that's all you want there are Asus models that are cheaper. The video card lineup out of the gate is also underwhelming, but that's not suprising since the R2 shipped with only 4870s available (they have since added 5870s and 285s as options). Even if this is a laptop you are dead set on getting, it would be stupid to buy one today because they'll only expand the hardware options for it over the next several months or even weeks (the ATI 6870 wasn't on the list the last time I looked but it's up there now). Unfortunately it's not any lighter or smaller than the R2, but these things are beasts so that's not surprising.

That being said, I do like Alienware laptops. Sleek design, decent specs and a nice solid alluminum body. You do pay a premium for the name, but if you can afford it I'd much rather have an Alienware laptop than say a high spec Clevo.

-Byshop

Avatar image for TrentDondasKhan
TrentDondasKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TrentDondasKhan
Member since 2009 • 372 Posts
Bad A** laptop but prolly really expensive. The one I just bought (in my specs) has HD and 3D and I paid 1200 for it. Theres better deals out there than alianware computers which makes my surprised a company like that is still in buisness
chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chadwick1343
Bad A** laptop but prolly really expensive. The one I just bought (in my specs) has HD and 3D and I paid 1200 for it. Theres better deals out there than alianware computers which makes my surprised a company like that is still in buisnessTrentDondasKhan
I agree, still $1499 seems pretty decent for a laptop with that streming capabilities with the new sandy bridge chipset.
chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chadwick1343
[QUOTE="Byshop"]

3D is cool but if that's all you want there are Asus models that are cheaper. The video card lineup out of the gate is also underwhelming, but that's not suprising since the R2 shipped with only 4870s available (they have since added 5870s and 285s as options). Even if this is a laptop you are dead set on getting, it would be stupid to buy one today because they'll only expand the hardware options for it over the next several months or even weeks (the ATI 6870 wasn't on the list the last time I looked but it's up there now). Unfortunately it's not any lighter or smaller than the R2, but these things are beasts so that's not surprising.

That being said, I do like Alienware laptops. Sleek design, decent specs and a nice solid alluminum body. You do pay a premium for the name, but if you can afford it I'd much rather have an Alienware laptop than say a high spec Clevo.

-Byshop

Actually, I think they offer gtx 460 graohics cards, But I'm also interested in the graphics capabilities provided by the new chipset infrastructure.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Actually, I think they offer gtx 460 graohics cards, But I'm also interested in the graphics capabilities provided by the new chipset infrastructure.chadwick1343

Sorry, that's what I meant. When they were first listed the 460 was the only option, whereas now less than a week later there is now an ATI option as well. If you keep checking back, they'll probably offer an SLI or Xfire option pretty soon too.

-Byshop