Any realistic tactical shooter games out there?

#1 Posted by megagamer0193 (580 posts) -

What I mean by that is, if you get shot in the head. You die. same for chest. Leg shot would slow you or even ground you waiting for team to pull you to safety. Ect. Something that is slow paced and methodical. Team work would be a must. (ARMA sorta is like that but not really).

Bonus points if you can get up against cover, (rainbow six style) and peak around it(preferably not being able to see around a corner your character should not be able to see around. Both multiplayer and single player (or both) games are acceptable.

#2 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42325 posts) -

ArmA 3 is a pretty good bet. It's a fairly realistic military sim, emphasis on infantry but there's tanks, trucks, helicopters, and aircraft.

It does have a singleplayer game, a really great sandbox/map editor, and modestly sized but incredibly dedicated multiplayer community. Tons of mods and so forth.

It's hit detection and damage model makes sense...mostly. If you watch the video below you can see what they were going for.

Loading Video...

#3 Posted by with_teeth26 (9096 posts) -

Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm - great WW2-themed tactical shooters, 32v32

Rising Storm 2 - similar to above but set in Vietnam

Insurgency/Day of Infamy/Insurgency Sandstorm - all games from same dev, Insurgency/Sandstorm are modern day, Day of Infamy is WW 2. Sandstorm is having a free beta weekend right now before it launches this coming week! these games have a great co-op mode as well as PvP

Squad - modern day, 50v50, larger maps, more focus on vehicles

Post Scriptum - like squad, but WW2

#4 Posted by lucidique (542 posts) -

Assuming you hail from the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon days of old, you may want to look into this recent release :

https://store.steampowered.com/app/16900/GROUND_BRANCH/

Seems like it's made by a team made partially of old Red Storm, the original developers of those series I just mentioned.

Looks good. I'm looking into picking it up in the coming weeks.