Any PC gamers without a console?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

Hi guys

First of all, I'm not gonna lie. I'm not a PC gamer, I'm a console gamer (PS4 to be more precise). But I've been a PC gamer for about 6 years. I've played many hours of Counter-Strike, World of Warcraft, Spore, Half-Life, Portal, League of Legends, Left 4 Dead and I enjoy PC very very much. I've changed to the console for two main reasons. It's more easy to access (don't know if it's bad luck but I always had a bunch of technical problems with my games) and the exclusives. I know that for every console exclusive there's got to be about 30 PC exclusives but I can't afford two gaming systems and I couldn't just close my eyes to Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo, games that are released first on the console (like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc.) and some others. Do you guys still think that in these days it is pretty much mandatory for a gamer to own a console whether it's a PS4 or a XONE?

TL;DR: Do you think that a gamer (even a PC gamer) should own a console?

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

you can own a console or consoles, its not mandatory, but you should a one track mind is never good, pc gamers play video games on variety of platforms, its just that your main system will a pc because its the most versatile, its the best platform full stop.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

If they like the console exclusives and have friends who play on consoles too then sure, I'm sure there are other reasons too. I personally have no reason to get a console.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Used to have a ps3 and 360 but sold them both. Not planning on buying the new consoles anywhere soon, theres more than enough i have to play on pc :P

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Well I remember I bought a PS3 with the God of war 3 for $500. I only bought the damn console because of GoW3. Quite honestly, it was not the $500 that I threw that I regret it's that I realized there was no other game I cared about after (except gow Ascension).

Now, I would not buy a ps4 just for God Of War. Long ago I thought consoles were the best, but slowly I moved into PC with strategy games. Then I got into those online games that ps2 and xbox did not have like Diablo 2.

At that point the transition was complete. Right now I see no reason gamers should own a console. There are far too few exclusives. They consoles are asking you to pay for things that PC versions would not dream off. PC are also getting better with time in terms of backwards capabilities. I mean common, my PC has better Capabilities to play ps1 and ps2 games, even Xbox games. I also had multiple emulators in my PC in the past. Pc also have better ability to be multi media platform. My tv acts as a third monitor for gaming and if I want to watch from PC movies. Hell, PC now can use a controller too.

And the best part, you can tells consoles are trying to hard to be a PC. And it doesn't work.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I've owned a PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and PS4.

Mostly used the Playstations to play Metal Gear Series.

Used the 360 to do Kinect Fit and fun with games.

Sold them all cause after a while they just sat there and gathered dust.

I currently have a PS4 which I solely use for FIFA cause the population on PC gets smaller each year. (I've also got Destiny on there but it's boring after a while, although Last of Us was a masterpiece)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

You mean like ever? Then yeah I own quite a few. For this generation I only have a Wii U and 3ds since there's no reason to get a PS4 or X1 if you have a pc.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#8 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I own a PS4 but I barely use it. Its not even good for netflix since the wireless is so bad the streaming quality sucks, I just end using my PC since its already hooked up to the TV with a HDMI cable. I owned a PS3 last gen and didn't use it too much either but I'm glad I had it for the odd games like Red Dead

I'd be totally fine not having a current gen console based on how little use my PS4 gets. But hey at least I get good use out of the DS4 controller.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Own a pc that can play games at 1440p ultra and a laptop that can do the same at 1650p. I really don't see a reason to own a console anymore, as I'm not a fan of the business models the machines use and how it promotes games like Battlefront like they did wth the ps4 bundle. I like a few developers from Sony and I like their games, but a few games not coming to pc, or late to pc isn't a worry. As there are so many games on the platform I don't have time to play everything anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I'm been strictly a PC gamer for the last 15 years. Not due to elitism, but because I need a good PC anyway, so might as well game on it. Not much I need with a console aside from gaming so haven't bought one in forever.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

While being a PC gamer... I have owned some consoles over the years: PS2, PS3, 360, Wii. Eventually I sold all of them except for the 360... since I barely ever used em (my PC kept me pretty occupied). also gave away my 360 to a friend. I kept the 360 for about 6 years mainly for Gears of War series and Forza series.

I wouldn't mind having an Xbone just because of Gears of War & Forza series... although it's not worth it for me to get it just to play a couple games.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@Tqricardinho: I've been a hardcore PC gamer since the early/mid 90s. I was never into consoles much. This gen I decided to buy all of them (PS4, XB1, and Wii U) and I pretty happy with them. Last year a console game was GOTY (Bayonetta 2) and this year a console game is my GOTY pick as well (Bloodborne). Despite that I'd still take PC over an console any day of the week but people that are PC only are missing out on some of the best games of all time. All that being said I very rarely play my consoles. It's like one good game a year...is it worth it? Maybe.

My opinion is PC >>> PS4 > Wii U > a rock > XB1.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

PS4 doesn't appeal to me, I don't want it.. I have 2 PS3s and 2 gaming PCs, I'm good... I don't want an Xone either.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I have all the consoles this gen (also had all of them last gen) and to be honest, if I had to give them away, it probably wouldn't affect my gaming habits much....except the Wii U.

Only turn them on when a new exclusive game is released and I have an interest in them. So that comes out to like what? 1 to 3 games a year per console? Is it worth it? Not really.

I have (Retail);

On Xbox One;

• Halo: Master Chief Collection - Could have ignored this since I already played every Halo game but I bought it anyways.
  • Sunset Overdrive - Game didn't really interest me. Could have not played it and I would have felt the same.
  • Forza Horzion 2 - Great racer and it is fun. Forza Horzion and Motorsport are good fun.
  • Gears: Ultimate Edition - Coming out on PC but I bought it cause I like Gears. Could have waited though.
  • Halo 5 - Disappointment. Don't like FPS on console so even though the MP is great, I can't spend much time on it.

So Forza is the only thing that would hold me to an Xbox. Is it worth it for a single series? Not really.

On Playstation 4;

• Killzone: Shadowfall - Meh. Medicore shooter.
  • Infamous: Second Son - Super short game and repetitive. One or two days of play.
  • The Order 1866 - Short game as well. One or two days of play.
  • Bloodborne - Great game and probably the only must play exclusive on PS4. Worth a whole console purchase for one series though?
  • Until Dawn - Great game as well but again, it will only give you a few days worth of play before you drop it.
  • Uncharted Collection - Same as MCC, could have ignored this since I already played every Uncharted game.

Bloodborne only thing worth on PS4 really. Worth it for a single series? Up to you.

On Wii U

• NintendoLand: - Fun party game and good local coop. It is alright.
  • ZombiU - Okay game but it has been released on other platforms. Sooo meh.
  • New Super Mario Bros U - Great Mario game and worth a playthrough. Will give you a good amount of days of play.
  • New Super Luigi U - Same as above.
  • Super Mario 3D World - Same as above.
  • Zelda: Wind Waker HD - If you already played it on GC, not really required to play. Could have ignored because of that.
  • The Wonderful 101 - Depends on your taste but I thought it was a good game as well.
  • Mario Kart 8 - Really fun and addicting game. Who doesn't like Kart Racing?
  • Bayonetta Combo - Bay2 was one of my favorite games from 2014. So well worth.
  • Super Smash Bros Wii U - Enough said. Not many brawlers to this caliber out there and its addicting
  • Splatoon - One of the best shooters and most addicting games of 2015.
  • Xenoblade X - One of the best JRPGs released this year.

So Wii U is worth a purchase in my opinion and without it, you will lose access to many great games.

The other consoles though? Meh...not worth it. Well not worth it currently.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@saintsatan said:

a rock > XB1.

It does have Quantum Break though which looks awesome.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I don't have one. I can't deal with the sluggish controls and low framerates/resolutions. Also, there aren't many games for them that interest me and the backwards compatibility is extremely limited.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

There are only 3 console games that sound interesting. Those are Bayonetta2, Bloodborne, and TLOU. But I don't think it'd be worth it. Besides, I wouldn't have the time. Barely got enough time to keep up with all the good pc games.

Also, I wouldn't want to support the subscription idea in any way shape or form.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

I don't have a console ever since school days...

jenbabycakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jenbabycakes
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

I don't have a console, I'd rather spend my money upgrading my PC

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Always have at least one console, currently the ps4, along my pc family ( 2 rigs and a laptop )

Never felt the need to quit any of them, but as time goes by i've less and less time for gaming, so I buy less consoles.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I primarily use a PC for gaming.

I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne which was cool. It's still the only game I have for PS4 and I don't see myself getting more than 1 or 2 more games (Disgaea 5 and FFXV if neither come out on PC). The PS4 will most likely be the last console I own until I can get a Wii U cheap for Xenoblade (or better yet.......)

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

The last console I had was SNES.

Then in a dilemma PSX or PC, I joined the master race.

With all these overwhelming advantages, once you go with PC, you never go back...

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2449 Posts

I have a PS2 collecting dust somewhere in my basement. :-)

I'm not physically coordinated enough to use a controller. Oh well.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

i have owned at least 1 console of the get of the time each time (usually nintendos console).

at the moment i have a PC, wiiu, 3DS, vita (poor vita :(. great handheld) and a PS3.

the PC and wiiu go very well together imho....if you like nintendos games. i have to admint that at the moment my PC is getting some R&R due to xenoblade X.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Last console I got was a Gamecube, haven't seen anything the console world that interests me since

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

My last console was a 360 i gave to my brother 7 years ago. As you get older and you have less time in your hands is hard to own 2 or more gaming systems so is only pc for me for various reasons. I already need a pc for my work so is much cheaper to maintain a gaming hobby on pc ( 1,2 upgrades every 3-4 years and cheaper games plus no pay to play online ), most games i care about are only on pc , flexibility of the platform ( anything from playing my old ps2 games on it to using a 360 controller on it )

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I've been trying to convince myself to get a new console, but so far the only exclusive I'm really interested in playing is Bloodborn so I'm not really in a rush. I might pick up once of the three in a year or two if they get a few more exclusives that I'd like to play.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

I don't have a console just a computer unless my Nintendo DSi XL counts its a handheld witch I haven't played with in a while.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I own a XB1 and I occasionally use it for Gears UE and Mortal Kombat X. Outside of that, I kind of regret the purchase. Maybe I'll enjoy it more next year when all the new games drop. The PS4 library does not excite me. A i3 and 750 ti has been performing better than the consoles so if power is something you seek, well you wont have to spend much on a PC either.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Right here. And while I won't say I am proud of it, I am happy without a console.

I know enough people with consoles to know I am not missing anything.

mahusayx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mahusayx
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

Currently, I have a ps4 along with my pc; mostly for exclusive (uncharted, ratchet, bloodborne, god of war, ffxv, etc). I think its harder and harder keeping more than 1 system the older I get; just dont have the time for all these games honestly. May end up with 1 system by the end of this generation.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i've owned consoles every generation from original nintendo all the way up to the ps3 and xbox 360 era. But this gen of consoles i see no benefit in owning, all the games on them are just repeats of last gen games, and they perform about as well as a pc from 7-8 years ago. If nintendos NX is actually powerful and has unique games not just more mario junk i may actually get one.

magirouard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 magirouard
Member since 2003 • 2245 Posts

They should own a console if they want a console. I don't own one because the games simply do not interest me enough to justify the price.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I don't own a current gen console, but plan on getting the PS4 for some of the exclusive games it has.

JamesGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JamesGoblin
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

I played on a friend's console for two (2) minutes in 1992, and that's it. I never had or planned to get one.

On the other hand, I am playing on PCs since 1982.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

#37 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

I own a 360 for the exclusives it had, but rarely touch it after the first year or two. The games just looked so blocky or slow after a short while.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I have a Snes if that counts

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

A PC gamer doesn't need a console for the most part there is enough content on PC

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I'm a PC gamer but got both PS4 and X1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Yep, I've been PC only for about 5 years now. I do have some emulators though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well I have had a PC and at least one console since I was around 6-8 (memory fails on older age it seems :P) So it is natural for me to have both.

But if you ask me what I am, I would say that I am a PC gamer mainly, and if you ask if it is worth it to own a console outside the PC, I would likely say "no". It is not that clear cut of course, It comes down to what exclusives said console has, You will likely find that a lot of PC gamers on these sites also have the Wii U, because Multi plats on a console is near always a downgrade, but exclusives can very well be worth your time. So if you like what the PS4 has to offer in exclusives (yah I bot a PS4 soley for P5, and the Wii U because, games).

There is another point which I am unsure how normal is. Because some of us grew up on both, we have certain platforms for certain games. I can not and will not play a platformer, fighting game, kart game and such on PC unless I have no other option, and I will not play an FPS, RPG or RTS game (and such) on a Console unless there is no other way).

So basicly you do not lose out on having a console, but it is not mandetory, far from it, in truth it never was.

TotalGandu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TotalGandu
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

@Tqricardinho: Last console I bought was PS3 and been fine without console. Started modern gaming with the PS3 and then got sick of the limitations with Modding. It was actually Oblivion by Bethesda which i fell in love with that made me buy a gaming PC. After that I haven't had the desire to go back to a console. Since I also have my PC setup like a console where I can sit on the couch and play with a controller and on my TV. So it does all the things a console does and more.

However the plug and play nature of consoles is always enticing.

___ Like Cute little Ninjas? Check out the "Ninjaking : Samurai Maze" game for Iphone and Android on Itunes and the Google Play store - http://bit.ly/1WKPrgn

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Naw. Coming from someone who's owned all the relevant consoles from the last few generations (and PS4 this gen), you're not missing out on much by ditching the console. Maybe missing out on at most a dozen titles really worth playing each gen, and that's only if you're open to any and every type of game. If you're not into playing sports games like Madden with friends or smaller-budgeted indie titles, then that list is really really short. PC pretty much gets all the superior multi-plats and all the best exclusives, with rare exception. Consoles get maybe a few exclusives and console-exclusive multiplats that usually consists of a small linear campaign and perhaps with a limited multiplayer components with most of the interesting content unlocked by paid DLC. So yea - if $300+ is worth playing a few exclusives to you, then that's your preference.

This is coming from someone who grew up loving consoles. I used to love playing split-screen games on them with friends. But now, the PC is turning into a better split-screen and party platform than consoles.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

Only thing I currently own and have ever owned is a PSP. Went through 3 of them (first original, then 3000) and have ended up with the street console...haven't touched it in about a year. Aside from that I have dabbled in PS2 and PS emulators.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

I have a PC, PS4 and X1. I'd always buy the game on Pc if I can, mostly through Steam. It is cheaper than console and moddable etc.. Also I can play with mouse, which is far superior for me than controller for most games. At least I watch NFL on my X1. I bought PS4 because they had sales and it came with Last of Us and Bloodborne. I did not buy a single game on PS4 after that.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've always had a console to go with my PCs although this 8th gen seems to be one where I'm in no hurry to get one.

Even my kids don't seem to be demanding a console anymore ever since each of them got a gaming PC.

My youngest got a 3DS XL recently. I had told the wife not to bother. Now, it's just gathering dust.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

No current gen console no. Will get a PS4 in a few months I guess.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Last console i had was a 360 that i gave away 6-7 years ago. I have owned a few consoles over the years Sega genesis,Ps1,Dreamcast,Ps2 and the last one 360 . But between most games appearing on all 3 platforms ( PS,Xbox,PC ) and between not caring one bit about sports games and 3rd person action games i have no reason to own a console . More than enough games on pc and barely enough time to play on 1 platform let alone 2 or 3

I might get a wiiU though if the price drops to 200euros

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

I haven't owned a console since the N64. I want to play bloodborne so badly but I dont really want to buy a console for one game at this point. I can go about my life quite happily ignoring console/ PS4 exclusives. There are enough games on PC for me.