Any good RTS games that cover the whole of ww2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RandoJarfat
Member since 2014 • 63 Posts

Most the ones I play only start once the lazy yanks have joined the fray....why is this?

and is there one that covers the whole gamut from start to finish? It kind of feels like your joining a story at the end when the game only focus on the d day landing onward.

What do you think is the reason for this d day centrism? is it simply cos they only want to cover what the americans have been up to cos that is their main target audience?

Its not like there wasnt plenty of action up to that point.

so a 2 part quesiton i guess.

Recs for games that cover the whole of the war and

2nd why not so many games that do.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Company of Heroes 2 focuses on the eastern front. The first Company of Heroes, while it was focused on the western front, also had campaigns for Germany as well.

I think it's not only that the U.S. is a huge demographic, but they're also a much better protagonist in WWII. You gotta remember, the soviets were brutal and killed millions of their own people. They weren't as likable as the U.S. and Britain were during the war. Games liek to follow a good protagonist taking on an evil empire, and the U.S. vs. Germany did just that. 2 evil people going at it (Stalin vs. Hitler) isn't as appealing I guess.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RandoJarfat

You make a good point. but us brits aren't evil, we are the original paragon of good (at least according to general western opinion) :P and we were in it from not long after the getgo...sure not the very beginning.

i did begin playing the coh addon opposing front i think? which deals with the brits but never got into it past the first level, i had been playing men of war which is alot more hardcore playwise so the contrast was too sharp playing coh at the time as it just felt watered down compered to men of war.

Anyhow thanks for the heads up on coh2. had no idea there was a sequel, really enjoyed the first one back in the day.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

The Men of War games cover most of WW II but they are more tactics than strategy. I'd also recommend COH 2, the campaign covers the eastern front from 1941 to 45.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RandoJarfat

Yeh I got part way thru the first men of war seems to be tons of those games to keep me going. Again I delted before getting too far thru. Got bored of them again :P but been watching ww2 docs again so my interest is renwed as well as my appreciation for the actual timeline of events so wanna play some games that go thru diff scenarios through the period.

The bad voice acting in the 1st men of war was really cringeworthy tho but since i was such a good game otherwise I managed to overlook it just about :P

btw in hindsight they dont have to be rts games and it would be a nice change to try an fps style. I know the old cod games are partly set in ww2 i know again at the end but the change of game style would make it refreshing im still undecided if i could be bothered with the dated graphics tho.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46449 Posts

Just play all these games:

Blitzkrieg and sequels

Sudden Strike and sequels

Codename Panzers and sequels

I'm sure you'll have covered large portions of the war when you've played these (older) RTS ;)

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

You gotta remember, the soviets were brutal and killed millions of their own people.

But you can't show that in a video game. Or else Russian people will go mental and bomb your game on metacritic with thousands of people giving it a 0 to even threatening not selling the game anymore in Russia... because it's western propaganda or some shit.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Blitzkrieg and Company of Heroes

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RandoJarfat

Well as I said above i cant really be doing with old graphics. COH level is about as low as ill go. Im not really a graphics whore but i have very little staying power for games these days and the slightest thing will put me off :P

ive pretty much grown out of them except its nice to have one to lean on now and then to unwind after a hard day.

In fact i think i enjoy critiquing games more than playing them :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@randojarfat:

Well, the golden age of WW2 RTS and in fact RTS in general are over. So there is not a lot you'll find with fancy graphics.

Like other people suggested check out the Company of Heroes expansions and COH 2.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

The Close Combat Series has British troops, but yeah they concentrate on the Normandy to Berlin time period. Wish they had an RTS set exclusively in North Africa. Playing as the Desert Fox would be a blast. Plus the locale has been rarely explored in WW2 games.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RandoJarfat

I do enjoy the setting of those later landings. I loved the lush countryside and tight little roads/fields, little villages etc in COH. :) I did play some men of war assault squad which is set in the *** 'theatre', but it didn't feel right being so used to relating ww2 and europe (contradiction in terms i know) :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@DefconRave said:

The Close Combat Series has British troops, but yeah they concentrate on the Normandy to Berlin time period. Wish they had an RTS set exclusively in North Africa. Playing as the Desert Fox would be a blast. Plus the locale has been rarely explored in WW2 games.

I think Codename Panzers: Phase Two is set exclusively in Africa ;)

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RandoJarfat

You guys mention that rts's are out of vogue now, an antiquiated genre. If that is so what is in vogue since I dont really keep up with the latest trends.

Surely its not ONLY fps and mmos that are popular now? if so that will really destroy my faith in humanity all the more.

I get it that those are the MOST popular but rts'es were never the most popular even back in the day, ok maybe a little bit with red alert but i never liked that arcade rts junk anyhow.

Imo there will always be niche releases of hardcore games, id like to think so anyhow. Even the point and click adventures are still coming out in dribs and drabs.

i think its better when they arent in the limelight cos you know the developers will do it out of a labour of love in part for fans who will really appreciate it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7ec5f0e535
deactivated-64b7ec5f0e535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-64b7ec5f0e535
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Seeing the responses in this thread makes me happy no one knows about WW2 RTS gaming.

The OP wants a single good RTS game that cover the whole of ww2. And all I see is "CoH", "CoH", "CoH2" (except some well-known games like Blitzkrieg)

The answer is simple and it's unique: Axies and Allies (2004).

• There are 5 playable factions: US, Great Britain, Russia, Japan, Germany. That covers ALL ww2 forces.
  • There is a campaign for Axis and a campaign for Allies. That covers ALL theaters of war.
  • If you are bored with "CoH" style campaign (mission after mission), there is a "Rome Total War"-ish style of THE WHOLE WORLD divided into territories that you move armies to and fro in turn based manner. When 2 armies clash, they fight real time.
  • Did I mention you can play skirmish (both vs CPU and multiplayer) with a random map generator giving you practically endless maps? The RMG allows you to automatically build ANY landscape, from southern europe to Pacific Ocean, and from northern europe to norhtern africa with a touch of a button.

My contribution to a question no one answered, aka you dont have to play 6 games to cover the whole of ww2.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@bambacha: this thread is nearly a year old! Please read the rules about necro threads.This week be locked.