any child of light fans

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sciurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sciurus
Member since 2015 • 14 Posts

I am aware of this not being a typical game, and not necessarily appealing to guys as much as to girls, but my favourite game is Child of Light. It is just so, so beautiful graphically, for me the whole game is like a single piece of art. I also thought the soundtrack and sound effects in general were amazing, the conversations are poetic, all in all it's just a beautiful game that I can only recommend to whoever is into art nouveau and gaming. Of course it won lots of prices so I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. For me an important plus is that you can play with 2 people (the firefly is its own character and played with the mouse), which meant I could play with my boyfriend for a change! (except when we play on a console, but for some reason we tend to stick to PC games).

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Not sure why you thought it wouldn't be as appealing for guys? Personally I have no qualms about playing as a fairy princess if the game is solid (which Child of Light certainly is).

I thought the pacing and length were perfect for a 2D RPG. Lovely artwork and music. I thought some of the rhyming speech was a bit forced but in general I enjoyed the interactions and story. I LOVE the battle system, the timing aspect opens up so many tactical options. Well worth the small amount of money it costs!

I should add I actually played this on my Vita and not on PC. In general the port was solid, a bit of a sound glitch and jitter at the start of some battles but nothing that ruined the experience.

sciurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sciurus

Well I'm glad to hear that! It's just that my boyfriend wasn't as big a fan as me, so it was my personal conclusion but of course you're right in the sense that it can appeal to anyone and we're all different in any case.

Agreed about the speech not always flowing too well because it had to rhyme, but it was just so sweet. Yeah it was so much fun trying to coordinate when you are two, some proper teamwork going on with the timing. I imagine it's quite hard on your own!

Oh I didn't know it was available on vita too. Don't you miss the big screen for the artwork?

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bulby_g

@sciurus: It wasn't particularly hard to play through on my own but then the Vita has the touch pad that controls the firefly so it probably make it easier. It still looks beautiful on the Vita screen but it would be nice to see it on a huge monitor yes! I'll probably pick it up cheap on the PC too when I get the chance and play through again. Just grabbed it on a whim for the Vita in a sale and was pleasantly surprised. :)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Great game, loved it.

sciurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sciurus

Oh yeah true didn't think of that! Yes I would definitely recommend it on a bigger screen (we even thought about playing it over our TV screen because the artwork was so nice), also for the sound (although vita might have a good sound system - I don't really remember)

Does anyone happen to know similar games? I know it's pretty unique in its genre but I loved the graphics and the whole story a lot (in general I'm into fanatsy games so it was perfect).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@sciurus said:

Oh yeah true didn't think of that! Yes I would definitely recommend it on a bigger screen (we even thought about playing it over our TV screen because the artwork was so nice), also for the sound (although vita might have a good sound system - I don't really remember)

Does anyone happen to know similar games? I know it's pretty unique in its genre but I loved the graphics and the whole story a lot (in general I'm into fanatsy games so it was perfect).

Try "Bastion"

Not turned based but man it was so much fun.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bulby_g

Here's a few games that you might like. They aren't 2d turn based RPG's like Child of Light (there aren't many of these on PC) but I feel you might like them based on what you said about it.

Never Alone

Loading Video...

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Loading Video...

Contrast

Loading Video...

The game that I would most recommend to you isn't available on PC but if you have access to a PS3 you should definitely pick up Ni No Kuni. It's a turn based RPG like Child of Light but it's 3D. It's a long game and I think you might really enjoy it.

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

I loved it, I thought it was pretty cute.

Sadly, for some reason, I only played it for an hour or so, then moved on to a different (newer?) game. I think I picked it up during a Steam sale, so I did not attach much priority to it. I still have it installed, maybe I will give it another go, as I am pretty much done with MGSV.

PS: I am a guy, I thought it was great lol. Though I do use terms like "cute" so maybe I am more in touch with my feminine side?