Any AGE OF EMPIRES/EMPIRE EARTH type games of this century good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Freddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 0

#1 Freddy
Member since 2002 • 1037 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for an age of empires or empire earth type RTS game that is quite current.  I played age of empires online and it's an amazing game that reminds me of warcraft but the online part ruined it.  I like starting at the cavemen era and working my way to the tech.  Any games that are like that as of late?  All I can remember is AOE and EE or RON and those graphics have gotten way too old for me.  

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
Afaik, all the modern rts are ww2 or futuristic so I don't know if they are what you want. The newest i know is AOE 3. Company of Heroes 1 & 2 Starcraft 2 Wargame European Escalation Maybe consider rts/strategy hybrids? Shogun 2 Total War Rome 2 Total War Anno 2070
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

Good strategy suggestions DefconRave, but I'm afraid that I haven't found a good replacement for the original Empire Earth. I'm looking forward for newer versions of the free 0 A.D.. You can already play an alpha version for it for free: http://play0ad.com/

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for an age of empires or empire earth type RTS game that is quite current.  I played age of empires online and it's an amazing game that reminds me of warcraft but the online part ruined it.  I like starting at the cavemen era and working my way to the tech.  Any games that are like that as of late?  All I can remember is AOE and EE or RON and those graphics have gotten way too old for me.  

Freddy

I'm in the same boat as you. I love RTS that have that setting. Age of Empires is pretty unique in that regard, in that it lets you start with caveman and lets you build an entire civilization. Empire Earth is the only other RTS I can think of that lets you do that too.

Check out Age of Empires Online, it's era is pretty close to that of AOE1 and it's free to play. Age of Mythology's era is also close to that of AOE1, but is a bit older.

As for games that are similar to Empire Earth, try out Empires: Dawn of the Modern World.

And as the person above me said, give 0 A.D. a try too.

I hope that helps :)

Freddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#6 Freddy
Member since 2002 • 1037 Posts

I'm giving 0 AD a try and unfortunately it's an online game there's no skirmish.  It looks promosing.  Isn't weird that if we the CONSUMER put our minds together we could probably build the best video game known to mankind?  I just don't get why these developers are so slow at it.  In any business, you take from other companies and mimic what they have and turn it into your own creativity.  Apple comes out with iPhones and every cell company starts doing it.  Why not use good graphics and get ideas and concepts from other RTS games and build the ultimate RTS game?  It doesn't make sense and that's why 0 AD looks like Empire Earth or Age of Empires but hopefully it's promising.  

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

I'm giving 0 AD a try and unfortunately it's an online game there's no skirmish.  It looks promosing.  Isn't weird that if we the CONSUMER put our minds together we could probably build the best video game known to mankind?  I just don't get why these developers are so slow at it.  In any business, you take from other companies and mimic what they have and turn it into your own creativity.  Apple comes out with iPhones and every cell company starts doing it.  Why not use good graphics and get ideas and concepts from other RTS games and build the ultimate RTS game?  It doesn't make sense and that's why 0 AD looks like Empire Earth or Age of Empires but hopefully it's promising.  

Freddy

Many publishers are simply reluctant to back big RTS titles unfortunately. I think we need a very successful RTS to pave the way just like XCOM did for turn based strategy.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations are pretty much similar to Age of Empires