another processor question..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serchant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Serchant2
Member since 2008 • 431 Posts
Hey guys, I have a Intel Duo 2 Core 1.8Ghz running and I am looking for an upgrade. My Pc can only which can only go to 4x266Mhz. The highest Dual processor I could find was 2.6Ghz (I know there are higher ones but my Pc can't accept them all and I'm low on budget). But theres a Quad processor that is cheaper according to a site but instead og 2.6Ghz, 2.4 Ghz. Which one should I get, dual or quad? I'm more intrested in Quad. What do you think?
Frag_grenade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Frag_grenade
Member since 2005 • 574 Posts

The quad is more future proof. The 2.6 dual core will run games faster now. Soon though games will start to properly utilize quad cores. so go with the quad core.

Dancing_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dancing_Panda
Member since 2007 • 812 Posts
Go with a faster dual, by the time quad is needed there will be new, mre efficient architectures out so go with a fast dual for gaming :)
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts

The quad is more future proof. The 2.6 dual core will run games faster now. Soon though games will start to properly utilize quad cores. so go with the quad core.

Frag_grenade
if by soon you mean 2 years then yeah get a quad, and like dancing panda said by the time you see a big performance increase with quad core there will be more efficient and better ones out. but i would still suggest getting a quad just for multitasking and 200MHZ isn't alot anyways if it was 500MHZ then maybe...
blooddrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blooddrunk
Member since 2008 • 1036 Posts

Go with a faster dual, by the time quad is needed there will be new, mre efficient architectures out so go with a fast dual for gaming :)Dancing_Panda

i agree

u wont need the quad core for a couple years atleast and by then im sure ull be able to urchase a new one

so instead of suffering just buy the dual core

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
it's not like the quad is a pos it's still a great proc (q6600) the extra performance gained from a faster quad is tiny but the quad has better multitasking abilities.
Serchant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Serchant2
Member since 2008 • 431 Posts

Accordingly, I hear you guys are saying for now dual is better but I don't want to want that I have to upgrade my PC AGAIN for next gen games. Maybe the Quad then?:D

Also due my bus spees is 4x266Mhz instead of 4x333Mhz, I can't find a cheap 2.6+Ghz processor. The Quad is just 8 bucks more I believe.

m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 m2twkisfun
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts

You all forget the bragging rights associated with a quad-core, plus multi-tasking is amazing on a quad core.

PS can you overclock at all?

blooddrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blooddrunk
Member since 2008 • 1036 Posts

why would u want bragging rights?

thats like running 4 8800gt's

it doesnt do much more than 1 or 2 but damnit it sounds cool

Dancing_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dancing_Panda
Member since 2007 • 812 Posts
If 8 bucks is the difference between the dual and the quad then definitly go for the quad. If your mobo supports the E8*** series i would still go for them but yeah, you cant go wrong with a quad. Hope you are happy with your purchase :)