AMD X2 4200 bottleneck 8800gts 320mb?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts
Im about to buy the 8800gts 320mb version, my budget is 400$ so i can barely squeeze in a good 939 skt CPU to replace my 3200 amd 64 venice. I was wondering, in a system with 2x1gb pc3200 XMS pro corsair memory and a amd x2 4200 939 cpu bottleneck a 8800 gts 320mb? I could also overclock the cpu to 2.6 GHZ + easily with my cooling fan/heatsink to boost performance if it did bottleneck. Would this run crysis and UT 2007 on high textures, geometry, effects maybe 2x AA and antistrophic filtering 2x with atleast 40+ fps avg if thats even possible to answer?
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

It might bottleneck but it will be barely noticable on games. As for Crysis, its hard to answer becasue the games not out yet. I think an 8800GTS will handle the game on high with any dual-core processor.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
It will not be a bottleneck at all
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts
It will be a small bottleneck so you should overclock. You will be able to play the games you mentioned.
Kiwi_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kiwi_1
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts

The frequency and the severity of CPU bottle necking against GPU performance is highly over-exaggerated on this forum. The few tests done (THG has done some, if you want the URL, ask) to determine the effects have resulted in extremely small differences. The phenomenon does exist, but is at the far limits of what can even work together. If you had a 1.3 GHzP4 in a relatively new (AGP3) s778 motherboard, then it would put a crimp in what an X1950 XT AGP could do, certainly. But at 2.8 GHz for the CPU, it starts being so comparatively small that human senses can't tell it's happened. Any CPU and MB new enough for PCI-e is also new enough to eliminate the very wide range of that particular AGP example.

(Edit) Incidentally, I have had my share of credulity with regard to quite a few of the THG results over the years, but the charts they have are just about the only resource of the type we have (CPU, GPU). This time, I didn't immediately see anything seriously "wrong" with what the article has as a conclusion/ summary, and I don't think they are saying that there is no loss of performance, merely that the effect is rather small. An in that aspect, I am in agreement.

Right this minute, we have a momentary richness of CPU performance at some tremendous pricing (due to be better tomorrow) that seems to make last year's hardware seem really ancient and slow, but in fact that isn't the case (last year's A64s, at least, are still quite respectable). The THG example above involved an AMD 3800 (I believe an X2, I think that's the only A64 3800), matched to the latest high zoot video. Like I said, I have the URL. Remember, it's only Tom's Hardware, and there always seems to be some agenda behind their frquently slanted stories. What the heck here it is:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/11/system_builder_marathon/page11.html

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

The frequency and the severity of CPU bottle necking against GPU performance is highly over-exaggerated on this forum. The few tests done (THG has done some, if you want the URL, ask) to determine the effects have resulted in extremely small differences. The phenomenon does exist, but is at the far limits of what can even work together. If you had a 1.3 GHzP4 in a relatively new (AGP3) s778 motherboard, then it would put a crimp in what an X1950 XT AGP could do, certainly. But at 2.8 GHz for the CPU, it starts being so comparatively small that human senses can't tell it's happened. Any CPU and MB new enough for PCI-e is also new enough to eliminate the very wide range of that particular AGP example.

Right this minute, we have a momentary richness of CPU performance at some tremendous pricing (due to be better tomorrow) that seems to make last year's hardware seem really ancient and slow, but in fact that isn't the case. The THG example above involved an AMD 3800 (I believe an X2, I think that's the only A64 3800), matched to the latest high zoot video. Like I said, I have the URL. What the heck here it is:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/11/system_builder_marathon/page11.html

Kiwi_1

Comparing a gtx with a gts? :roll: even with that difference of processors should be obvious for games.

Luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Luthorcrow
Member since 2003 • 696 Posts
Kiwi_1 is right and wrong. It depends at what resolution you run your games. If you run them at the highest resolutions 1600x1200 or higher with maxed out effects with AA/AF then the CPU makes little difference. If on the other hand you play at lower resolutions then the CPU makes a bigger difference. You can see this effect in an benchmark test. Here is one at Firing Squad as an example: Link The rule of thumb is that the average user will notice any change of 20% or greater. In my view, avid users will notice anything 10% and up. Also consider that speed increases are generally composite with slight speed gains from various parts to achieve an overall perceived effect. That said, I have the CPU as you do and I could use some more juice for Photoshop but I am not feeling the pinch yet but will probably go Intel by early next year.
Kiwi_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kiwi_1
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts

The Firing Squad article didn't cover the full range of currently popular CPUs that gamers are relying on to last another year or so; it was limited to only the stuff from the immediate last few months, and the particular CPU they were concentrating on is still out of the financial reach of most of us. Anyway, rather few of the PC game playing folks that I am familiar with are willing to accept Low Resolutions to game with. If their display will do it, and their video card can push it, they are at their upper limit.

One of my systems has an inexpensive 17" LCD panel that has a native resolution of 1024 by 768, and I have relegated that one to the Living Room for the grandkids to play on (X850 Pro video card, old XP 3200 CPU Overclocked a ton, etc.) its visuals are decent, but the others are better!