AMD hits a MASSIVE Gold Mine with their R9 Gaming GPU's!

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/12/9/cryptocurrencies-are-causing-shortages-of-amd-radeon-gpus.aspx

It turns out that the R9 Gaming GPU's are not only good for gaming but it turns they are excellent for mining Crytpcurriencies. With the the rise in LiteCoins, AMD GPU's have become the go to choice for mining due to their superior GCN compute architecture of AMD GPU's over any nVidia GPU or intel CPU\GPU's. For example, with respect to kilo-hashes per second (a determining factor in bitcoin mining, the higher the better) AMD's top end R9 290X can do 990 kH/s per second while nVidia's GTX Titan can only do 485 kH/s per second. Mind you the R9 290X cost's almost half as a GTX Titan but does almost twice the computer power. So, for the price of Titan you could get two R9 290X's and crossfire them and get 5X times the computer power!

So, you may be wondering, why all of a sudden a rise in AMD GPU's sales? Well, the price of Litecoins has risen significantly over the past month. As a result AMD GPU's are selling like hot cakes. As of right now R9 280X, R9 290, and R9 290X are all SOLD OUT on newegg. Hell, even newegg had to raise the price of the 7970 to nearly $500 to make extra cash because that's also a GCN based GPU and they are sold out on all their available stocks of 7970s. $500 for a 7970?? That's more than the cost of a R9 290! Same thing with tigerdirect which raised prices of all their GCN GPU's. Same thing with amazon where they are all sold out or raised the prices of their available GCN GPU's.

One European retailer is on the record saying they sold over 1,000+ high end AMD GPU's. The most in their history! This month may turn out to be the biggest sellers of Gaming GPU's ever in the history of GPU's going back the 3DFX era!

I am kicking myself for not buying AMD R9 290 for $399.99. That seems like a bargain now. :(

So, those of you who have a 7970/7950 or R9 GPU, considering yourelf lucky. You may want to do some Litecoin mining to make some extra cash on the side. Consider it a friendly tip from Xtasy26. :P

With all the R9 GPU's sold out and with the PS4 and Xbox One selling 2+ million units I expect AMD to make the biggest amount of money in the Gaming GPU division even going back to the ATI era. :)

And go AMD! They deserve to catch a break after all those years of losing money and intel's criminal and illegal monoply practices.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Tempted to see how long it takes to make money with my 7950. But there has to be a catch / burst bubble or something.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Xtasy26

@nutcrackr said:

Tempted to see how long it takes to make money with my 7950. But there has to be a catch / burst bubble or something.

Here's a startup guide for Windows users:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/12/11/litecoin-101-a-software-guide-to-mining-with-windows/

There's a also a good Reddit forum for miners:

/r/LitecoinMining

Remember business are starting to accept this virtual currency to buy actual goods like food, cupcakes or even a ticket for a future space flight:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fgfk45kkle/cupcakes-and-wine-2/

All I can say is that it really started to take of over the past month or so. Hence all those AMD GCN GPU's being sold out. You do have a 7950, which I hear is the ideal GPU for this stuff due to it's price/performance and power consumption.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Once I make a new build I'll be using the old one to mine bitcoins. That's the only reason I kept both of my 6950s.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#5 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Read a few articles about bitcoin and litecoin. Not worth my time. Seems to be all about price fixing, unjustified value, money laundering and sharks selling to other sharks. Many mention that a small number of users own the most coins and conceal their identity to hide that fact.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

You think they knew about this making the card or just was discovered?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@nutcrackr: I would imagine its a very unstable market and very exploited/shady.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By 560ti
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

Read a few articles about bitcoin and litecoin. Not worth my time. Seems to be all about price fixing, unjustified value, money laundering and sharks selling to other sharks. Many mention that a small number of users own the most coins and conceal their identity to hide that fact.

Agree with this. No only is it unstable/shady but it has pissed a lot of gamers off including myself

I wanted an R9 290 but AMD decided to release the one's with the crappy stock cooler so I waited for the "end of November third party" statement. Its now 2nd week of December and not only do we not have third party coolers (which should of been out at launch) but now we have no stock + the base price inflated (was retailing at $470 vs $400).

The whole bitcoin is good for AMD but its pissed a lot of ACTUAL gamers off due to no stock (some of which is AMD's fault, there was a 290x shortage well before the bitcoin/litecoin boom) and failed promises in waiting for third party so it looks like I along with a bunch of other users (across a couple boards including this one) have literally no choice but to go NVidia this holiday

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

this crypto currency crap is retarded.... you have to be so deep in it to even make the smallest of profit that it just isnt worth the time.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xtasy26

@Arthas045 said:

You think they knew about this making the card or just was discovered?

I think it was a classic case of supply and demand or unexpected demand. The value of litecoins rose over the last couple of weeks hence the surge. I remember it was quite a healthy stock through October and November, I know this because I was checking on newegg every coulple of days, debating whether I should buy one or not. I think this issue started to happen I would say over the last week or two. I don't think AMD anticipated this.

Still, that's no excuse. YOU ALWAYS have more than you need especially considering that the R9 290/290X is a hit product and got rave reviews. So, AMD SHOULD have expected that their will be very healthy demand and should have had higher volumes than normal. But I don't know, maybe the partners like Asus, XFX, Sapphire had low inventory because they may have been waiting for the inventory with stock coolers to clear as they will soon be releasing new R9 290's with custom coolers. And once the custom coolers came out, people may not be choosing to buy the ones with the stock coolers, hence leaving them with excess GPU's with stock coolers. Maybe they didn't anticipate that the stock with the originald coolers would deplete that fast.

@560ti said:

@nutcrackr said:

Agree with this. No only is it unstable/shady but it has pissed a lot of gamers off including myself

I wanted an R9 290 but AMD decided to release the one's with the crappy stock cooler so I waited for the "end of November third party" statement. Its now 2nd week of December and not only do we not have third party coolers (which should of been out at launch) but now we have no stock + the base price inflated (was retailing at $470 vs $400).

The whole bitcoin is good for AMD but its pissed a lot of ACTUAL gamers off due to no stock (some of which is AMD's fault, there was a 290x shortage well before the bitcoin/litecoin boom) and failed promises in waiting for third party so it looks like I along with a bunch of other users (across a couple boards including this one) have literally no choice but to go NVidia this holiday

I wouldn't go with nVidia that fast. According to this article. AMD's partners will be releasing custom cooler boards BEFORE christmas. So, there is still two weeks to go. I would rather wait two weeks and get the custom coolers and overclock the s*** out of the R9 290's that will blow past the Titan or 780 Ti and not to mention run cooler and save me hundreds of dollars.

But still really AMD?? The R9 290/290X has been out since October, you would think they would use the two month's to build up inventory as much as possible. But I will still give them the benefit of the doubt given the recent and unprecendented "boom" in mining and give them at least the end of December. I could wait till then.

I would wait to put myself in "auto notify" in newegg. And instantly buy one once it becomes available.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xtasy26

@nutcrackr said:

Not going to necessarily disagree with you on that. There's definitely some shady stuff. However, with the price soaring to $30+ and the ability to bring in .3-.4 litecoins a day on a single 7950/7970, that is as of today like $12-$13.5 a day income for around $1 in electricity that's not that bad. With China gobbling it up at the rate it is, it doesn't look like it's going down anytime soon, at least in the short term.

If I had a high compute power GPU like you I would definitely leave it on at night and during the day when I am at work to generate some extra cash on the side. Who knows, it may bring back some investment on the GPU I purchased for.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

Well for you number folks. IF you want to know the profitability. If you mine litecoins in a mining pool (which is guranteed profit based on the hasrate you have) a 290x will grab you around 12$ a day. A 290 will fetch a little less than 11$. Keep this in mind though. This is 100% use of your gpu, you won't be gaming while you are making that kind of money. Now to the person saying take their old rig and mine bitcoins. Do not even bother you will make literally nothing. I could match your gpu's hashrate with to usb erupters which cost (currently, used to be 35$ each) 60$ each. Most likely you are not going to break even from the power bill.
I happen to be the lucky one I got a r9 290 for 395$.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Good for AMD, bad for us Gamers.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

It could also be bad for AMD gaming in the long run. Since everyone is selling their AMD GPUs to upgrade and buying Nvidia GPUs (since AMDs are out of stock due to mining) Nvidia is going to strengthen its grip on the gaming market. Developers may no longer optimize games for AMD cards since very little of the gaming community will have them.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and this mining fad blows over quickly.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

It could also be bad for AMD gaming in the long run. Since everyone is selling their AMD GPUs to upgrade and buying Nvidia GPUs (since AMDs are out of stock due to mining) Nvidia is going to strengthen its grip on the gaming market. Developers may no longer optimize games for AMD cards since very little of the gaming community will have them.

Scary. This is why we can't have nice things.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xtasy26

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

Well the good news is that according to AMD's Roy VP of AMD's Global Channel Sales when asked that if AMD will restock the last generation of 7950/7970 GPU's in addition to the new R9 GPU's due to litecoin mining, he even pointed a link to the increase in GPU sales. He responded with a AMD will resupply the retail market with both the new R9 series and the 7950 and 7970 series. So, that means that miner's will have access to 7950 and 7970 GPU's and it won't choke the sales of the R9 series GPU's. Look at his Dec. 7th tweet:

https://twitter.com/amd_roy

So, that's good news for us gamer's.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xtasy26

Here's something funny according to Amazon's top 5 CPU sales's AMD's $30 Sempron is in the top 5:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/229189/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_1_4_last

LOL. A sempron!

Miner's are just buying a Sempron CPU and putting a R9 or R8 or 7950/7950 GPU in it as mine is pretty much ALL GPU. Good news for AMD that means they are not only selling old CPU's to clear old inventory but are selling AMD motherboards too!

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

Im glad I bought a r9 290 instead of a 780 GTX. Gona buy another one for sure.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 560ti

@Xtasy26 said:

I wouldn't go with nVidia that fast. According to this article. AMD's partners will be releasing custom cooler boards BEFORE christmas. So, there is still two weeks to go. I would rather wait two weeks and get the custom coolers and overclock the s*** out of the R9 290's that will blow past the Titan or 780 Ti and not to mention run cooler and save me hundreds of dollars.

The article's almost a month old (no new news since then) and it says that there pushing for the CES show which is still another month away (that means they need to be out in the next 8-9 days to get one for Christmas).

Not only that but if mining is still popular, the prices of the 3rd party R9 290 are going to be easily $500-550+ which isn't the $420-430 I was expecting.

Amd's doing good but they kinda dropped the ball on this one (the gold mine is good but it could of really been a gold mine if they had actually made decent stock of the 290s). They forced a crappy stock cooler on us for no freakin reason and they had R9 290X shortages even before mining (which should never happen). Even without the mining boom, its looking like no third party R9 290 in time for the holidays (and with mining where looking at a price hike for the people who actually want to game on it),

As a result a bunch of people might switch to NVidia (some have already given up on the 280x/290 and gone for a gtx 770/780 which are the same price now a days and are actually in stock).

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DIV1D3
Member since 2013 • 139 Posts

@560ti said:

@nutcrackr said:

Yeh, I'm really pissed off at these idiots doing mindless decoding just to get a few cents of worth, all the while draining the whole world dry of AMD GPUs. I was hoping to get a third party R9 290 as well but they still haven't come out and because of the litecoin/bitcoin mining they would be gone too. I just hope that by the time this stupid, idiotic, mindless decoding of algorithms are over the third party 290s will be released and enough supply to go around to ACTUAL gamers.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IvanElk

@DIV1D3 said:

@560ti said:

@nutcrackr said:

Yeh, I'm really pissed off at these idiots doing mindless decoding just to get a few cents of worth, all the while draining the whole world dry of AMD GPUs. I was hoping to get a third party R9 290 as well but they still haven't come out and because of the litecoin/bitcoin mining they would be gone too. I just hope that by the time this stupid, idiotic, mindless decoding of algorithms are over the third party 290s will be released and enough supply to go around to ACTUAL gamers.

Less qq more pew pew.... oh wait you can't pew pew so therefore you qq.

Damn them for making money! Gah don't you just hate people that do that? I really am mad at investors driving up googles stock. Like come on its not fair.

/sarcasm

Mining will not kill amd in the gaming department, regardless of the mining price raise, they are still better price to performance ratio than nvidia. (that's sad even with a price increase).

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DIV1D3

@IvanElk said:

@DIV1D3 said:

@560ti said:

@nutcrackr said:

Less qq more pew pew.... oh wait you can't pew pew so therefore you qq.

Damn them for making money! Gah don't you just hate people that do that? I really am mad at investors driving up googles stock. Like come on its not fair.

/sarcasm

Mining will not kill amd in the gaming department, regardless of the mining price raise, they are still better price to performance ratio than nvidia. (that's sad even with a price increase).

Lol, in regards to AMD betting Nvidia even in this crisis (IMO). I sure hope this mining demand doesn't keep up for too much longer.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

1st to start mining bitcoins you need to invest some money,settle a system that will worth a 2000-5000$, I've seen vids of people makeing a whole room for that purpose solely.

It's like making a solar house system farm and selling the electricity to the state.

I think for now I'll stick with gaming with my GPU thank you

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IvanElk

@PredatorRules said:

1st to start mining bitcoins you need to invest some money,settle a system that will worth a 2000-5000$, I've seen vids of people makeing a whole room for that purpose solely.

It's like making a solar house system farm and selling the electricity to the state.

I think for now I'll stick with gaming with my GPU thank you

Gah why are people so damn ignorant. NO ONE MINES BITCOINS WITH FUCKING GPU'S SINCE 2 YEARS AGO. To mine litecoins, that gpu that's sitting in your computer bam, litecoin miner at your service. That being said not all gpu's are even worth litecoin mining. However, ~8$ a day when you are not gaming to just run your gpu? Not necessarily a bad deal. In two months you have more than half of what you paid for your gpu *unless you bought a titan in which case your shit out of luck*

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#25  Edited By Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

@nutcrackr: I looked into bitcoin/litecoin briefly as well and concluded there have be a downside to it all. What exactly is a bitcoin based on? The production of a single bitcoin is by doing data mining, which really doesnt have any real world value. Its not the same as mining real world natural resources like copper which could be sold at a price is adjusted by the market. Top of that, what if 50 million people world wide get into this? That would lead to inflation for bitcoins per dollar. The whole thing sounds like a get rich quick scheme.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 560ti

@IvanElk said:

The two users you quoted mentioned nothing about mining destroying there gaming department.

We merely pointed out that AMD dropped the ball a bit with the 290X shortage (before the mining) and them forcing the crappy stock cooler down or throats/taking forever to release third party cooler (all three of these things should of never happened), As a result we both mentioned that a some users will be switching to Nvidia this holiday because there's literally no other choice

I hope your joking about the price to performance ratio ? A $250 GTX 760 SC is a great value/competitor to both the $200 270x and the $310 280x. The $330 GTX 770 is a fair value over the $310 280x and the GTX 780 isn't bad at all (its like $30-40 more than the R9 290 while being cooler and slightly faster out of the box, its also cheaper/cooler than the 290x).

The price to performance ratio isn't bad as mentioned above even without the $100+ increase yet your trying to say it is bad with the $100+ increase ? (what are you smoking ?)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@Jd1680a said:

@nutcrackr: I looked into bitcoin/litecoin briefly as well and concluded there have be a downside to it all. What exactly is a bitcoin based on? The production of a single bitcoin is by doing data mining, which really doesnt have any real world value. Its not the same as mining real world natural resources like copper which could be sold at a price is adjusted by the market. Top of that, what if 50 million people world wide get into this? That would lead to inflation for bitcoins per dollar. The whole thing sounds like a get rich quick scheme.

Literally everything you just said could be applied to paper currency. Also there won't be inflation because mining coins gets exponentially harder, which is why it now costs more electricity to mine bitcoins than how much you get from using your GPU. There is also a maximum to the number of coins in circulation, they can be split obviously.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Jd1680a said:

Tell that to the people who invested in bitcoin a few years ago and the price shot up. They're laughing to the bank; get rich quick or not.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

@#

@Geminon said:

this crypto currency crap is retarded.... you have to be so deep in it to even make the smallest of profit that it just isnt worth the time.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not mining more Bitcoins back in the day. Back then they were only worth ~$20 but I would have just sit on them I would have had a huge return considering their near ~$900 value today.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Yeah now that I know this I understand why I cannot buy a r9 280x and why on ebay hd 7970s are going for around $500. I might have to go with a gtx 760.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Xtasy26

@560ti said:

@Xtasy26 said:

The article's almost a month old (no new news since then) and it says that there pushing for the CES show which is still another month away (that means they need to be out in the next 8-9 days to get one for Christmas).

Not only that but if mining is still popular, the prices of the 3rd party R9 290 are going to be easily $500-550+ which isn't the $420-430 I was expecting.

Amd's doing good but they kinda dropped the ball on this one (the gold mine is good but it could of really been a gold mine if they had actually made decent stock of the 290s). They forced a crappy stock cooler on us for no freakin reason and they had R9 290X shortages even before mining (which should never happen). Even without the mining boom, its looking like no third party R9 290 in time for the holidays (and with mining where looking at a price hike for the people who actually want to game on it),

As a result a bunch of people might switch to NVidia (some have already given up on the 280x/290 and gone for a gtx 770/780 which are the same price now a days and are actually in stock).

Good news. Straight from Roy Talor's VP Global Channel Sales at AMD twitter account:

@amd_roy Do you think the litecoin miners are a part of the huge success of the 280X? They're sold out everywhere and the miners want them.

• @kingcolex looks like it yes. That and a rocking performance for BF4 and 4K screens!
  • @amd_roy definitely, any word when more stock will start to roll in? I think the third parties are a huge factor.

• @kingcolex in Asia now to fix.
  • He is in Asia right now trying to fix the shortage.
  • And also he hints of 3rd party coolers for R9 290 GPU's coming next week. He twitted:

Roy@AMD‏@amd_roy11 Dec

Saw Gigabytes R9 290X yesterday. It is very impressive. I want one! Ships next v week and will delight.

Here's a pic of custom cooled R9 Direct II CU 290X:

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG/status/409985882741952512/photo/1

Looks like you may be in luck for getting custom cooled R9 290 GPU this holiday season.

Having said that I am disappointed with AMD and I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU that AMD dropped the ball. I mean come on, when you are approaching the holiday season YOU ALWAYS overstock especially if you have a high demand product like the R9 290/290X. You know people will be buying GPU's for gaming this holiday season or for Christmas gifts. If they had overstocked they could have detected the rate at which their GPU's were selling with room to spare instead of going BAM and all the GPU's disappearing. Typical of AMD, when they make a product it's late to the market or they overstock it like their Llano APU and they have to write down the inventory. When they have hit product they don't have enough in stock!

Secondly, what's with the issue of not having 3rd party coolers by now?? Seriously, AMD? The R9 GPU's launched in October, nearly two months ago! You are telling me that you could come up with a 3rd party coolers in TWO FREAKIN months. That's totally unacceptable!

You never see this kind of issues with Apple or even nVidia. Apple has tons of iPhone in stock BEFORE they launch and continue to supply iPhone even after they launch without straining the supplies. I guess that's why Apple is where they are at now, the most valuable tech company in the world. Same thing with nVidia. They know how to maximize their profits.

AMD lost freaking $1 billion dollars last year. Ten's of millions the first half of this year. You should be running to your customers. What does it say about your company, when YOUR OWN customers are asking you to restock and are going on twitter of all the places to ASK you question as to when you will restock your product. LiteCoin mining or not that's just embarrasing! With all the money AMD lost they should BE RUNNING to their customers and offering everything they need. With new management I expected better from AMD. But I guess the old saying goes "old habits die hard".

/rant.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xtasy26

@redskins26rocs said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

Yeah now that I know this I understand why I cannot buy a r9 280x and why on ebay hd 7970s are going for around $500. I might have to go with a gtx 760.

I wouldn't get a 760 just yet. Looks like they are restocking the R9 280X. Straight fromTalor's VP Global Channel Sales at AMD twitter account:

@amd_roy Do you think the litecoin miners are a part of the huge success of the 280X? They're sold out everywhere and the miners want them.

• @amd_roy definitely, any word when more stock will start to roll in? I think the third parties are a huge factor.

• And also he hints of 3rd party coolers for R9 290 GPU's coming next week. He twitted:

Also they are releasing custom cooled R9 290's:

Roy@AMD‏@amd_roy11 Dec

Saw Gigabytes R9 290X yesterday. It is very impressive. I want one! Ships next v week and will delight.

--------------------------------------------

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By redskins26rocs

@Xtasy26 said:

@redskins26rocs said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

I wouldn't get a 760 just yet. Looks like they are restocking the R9 280X. Straight fromTalor's VP Global Channel Sales at AMD twitter account:

Roy@AMD‏@amd_roy11 Dec

thanks for info. the problem with that though is will newegg drop price from the steep $400 back to $300-310

edit: i am thinking price is staying high for a while, because XFX has some back instock for the low price of $420

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DIV1D3

@Xtasy26: Thank you, so much. Hopefully the R9 290 comes out just after the 290X. Though then again the 290X wouldn't be bought as much. Deja vu, lol.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By redskins26rocs

Well aint getting the r9 280x anytime soon unless that bitcoin crap dies down, because XFX,and GB are back in stock for over $400. I will wait until the 20th or 21st (newegg got 10% off masterpass promo) but I am not paying $400 for one I would rather get a gtx 760 for $220. I love that when I am in the market prices skyrocket and Nvidia is the cheaper card, oh well just my luck. The price has just kept going up since they were at $350+ now $400+

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

That card barely takes up two slots... not that the cooling has to be awful, but I do remember they release a three slot cooling solution on the GTX 680. :P

They better come as quickly as possible though.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xtasy26

@horgen123: Yeah I hope too that they come out as soon as possible. AMD's VP of Global sales is in Asia due to the demand and is trying to churn out AMD R9's as much as possible. He even stated that the demand for AMD GPU's is "astonishing".

@horgen123
@horgen123
@redskins26rocs said:

@Xtasy26 said:

@redskins26rocs said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

Roy@AMD‏@amd_roy11 Dec

thanks for info. the problem with that though is will newegg drop price from the steep $400 back to $300-310

edit: i am thinking price is staying high for a while, because XFX has some back instock for the low price of $420

Glad I could help! And yes I agree with the price will stay high for a awhile. That's why I told another guy who wanted to buy a R9 290 who lives in Canada to pick up a R9 290 at his local retailer as they have it for $400 where as newegg and other places have it for $500+. I will just wait it out. It's not like I am desperate. My BIOS flashed XFX HD 6970 is no slouch.

@DIV1D3 said:

@Xtasy26: Thank you, so much. Hopefully the R9 290 comes out just after the 290X. Though then again the 290X wouldn't be bought as much. Deja vu, lol.

Sure no problem. Glad I could help! It's now a matter of being patient. I think it would be worth it to wait for the custom cooled R9 290/290X to come out at the price they launched (maybe slightly more).

@redskins26rocs said:

Well aint getting the r9 280x anytime soon unless that bitcoin crap dies down, because XFX,and GB are back in stock for over $400. I will wait until the 20th or 21st (newegg got 10% off masterpass promo) but I am not paying $400 for one I would rather get a gtx 760 for $220. I love that when I am in the market prices skyrocket and Nvidia is the cheaper card, oh well just my luck. The price has just kept going up since they were at $350+ now $400+

Yeah I wold NEVER get a R9 280X for $400. No way in hell. I wouldn't get a nVidia GPU either, unless I am desperate to get a GPU. I would just wait 2+ weeks AT LEAST to see how things pan out. More batches of GPU's are coming in the next 2-3 weeks.

AMD should take part of the blame. When it comes to the holiday's you should ALWAYS overstock, especially if you have a hit product like the R9 290X/290/280X. You know people will be buying stuff for the holidays. Why would you not overstock? It's completely unacceptable IMO.

Typical AMD, when you have hit product you understock, when you have a product thats not in demand you overstock and then have to do a writedown. You would think that they would learn their lessons from pervious years. :(

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 redskins26rocs

@Xtasy26:

I am no fanboy I go for the best bang for the buck, so I have been looking at prices of cards in $200-300 budget on Newegg and Amazon throughout the past couple of days and decided to go with Asus GTX 760 open box for only $195, which IMO is a pretty good price if the thing is in good shape (I am weird if this thing does not look like it is in good condition, even the box, I will send it back). I may return it within the 30 days if I got the cash for a r9-280x and prices go back to normal, mainly because that 2GB of ram worries me (if it is not enough for my modded skyrim it got to go back lol). I just really want to play Dark Souls and finish AC4.

Hopefully it impresses me and I will not need to upgrade at least until Witcher 3.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Just sold my Windforce 7950 for $380. (before Ebay fees)

That thing only cost me $200 when I bought it 2 months ago.

I bet a lot of those 7990 owners are really happy. Some of those people are making $500+ on their used graphics cards, lol. That's insane.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

Yeah I wold NEVER get a R9 280X for $400. No way in hell. I wouldn't get a nVidia GPU either, unless I am desperate to get a GPU. I would just wait 2+ weeks AT LEAST to see how things pan out. More batches of GPU's are coming in the next 2-3 weeks.

AMD should take part of the blame. When it comes to the holiday's you should ALWAYS overstock, especially if you have a hit product like the R9 290X/290/280X. You know people will be buying stuff for the holidays. Why would you not overstock? It's completely unacceptable IMO.

Typical AMD, when you have hit product you understock, when you have a product thats not in demand you overstock and then have to do a writedown. You would think that they would learn their lessons from pervious years. :(

Note that AMD's foundry partners are also producing consoles's +300mm^2 size SoCs with combined sales of about 4 million for X1 and PS4.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Xtasy26

Now you know why all the HD 7950/7970, R9 280X/290/290X are sold out. This guy brought 12 HD 7970's to run each of his 3 AMD PC's in Quad Crossfire. This is madness I tell you!

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Xtasy26

@ronvalencia said:

@Xtasy26 said:

Note that AMD's foundry partners are also producing consoles's +300mm^2 size SoCs with combined sales of about 4 million for X1 and PS4.

I'm sorry this points to AMD's incompetence and mismanaging it's supply change. Straight from Jon Peddie Research:

"The numbers simply don’t add up, given the hash performance of AMD’s mid-range and high-end cards. In other words, litecoin miners aren’t even close to making much of an impact on AMD’s overall shipments."

http://www.coindesk.com/litecoin-radeon-shortage/

In other words, they thought that they had enough supply of R9 280X, R9 290, R9 290X to last through the holiday season. This was downright idiotic. Two weeks or so ago I saw many R9 290, R9 290X "Sold out" granted that you could still buy one for $399 or $549.99. The fact that some were "sold out" should have been a sign to AMD to stock as much as possible as we are going into the biggest shopping season of the year. All the R9 280X, R9 290, R9 290X are either SOLD OUT or are ridiculously priced. $420 for a R9 280X?! $510 for a R9 290?! Are you KIDDING ME? That's like $120 MORE than the launch price. Retailers KNOW that it's in short supply so they could jack up the prices and make extra cash because they know someone else will buy it which screws over us gamers that want's to buy it at the launch price we were promised. Typical AMD, never learns from it's previous STUPID mistakes. And keeps on making the same mistake OVER and OVER again. Do you ever see an iPhone shortage going into the holiday season? Does the iPhone 5S cost MORE than it's launch price going into the holiday season? Of course not! Because Apple knows how to manage their supply chain and always makes sure that they have enough. That's why Apple is the biggest tech company in the world and are in flush with cash and AMD is where it's at, with debt and barely making any profit. You would think they would learn their lesson from the past. Guess not! :(

Christmas is in 10 days and the back order is going into January:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/getstock.pl?p=BTF3733&nh=0

Even then, you may not get it because the orders far exceeded the stock that is coming in. So, I may not get a R9 290 for $399 till mid January or even later! That's totally unacceptable! (angry face!)

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IvanElk

I am so happy I went for reference cooler. I would have been screwed. And it went out of stock literally the next day after I ordered.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ronvalencia

@Xtasy26 said:

@ronvalencia said:

@Xtasy26 said:

I'm sorry this points to AMD's incompetence and mismanaging it's supply change. Straight from Jon Peddie Research:

"The numbers simply don’t add up, given the hash performance of AMD’s mid-range and high-end cards. In other words, litecoin miners aren’t even close to making much of an impact on AMD’s overall shipments."

In other words, they thought that they had enough supply of R9 280X, R9 290, R9 290X to last through the holiday season. This was downright idiotic. Two weeks or so ago I saw many R9 290, R9 290X "Sold out" granted that you could still buy one for $399 or $549.99. The fact that some were "sold out" should have been a sign to AMD to stock as much as possible as we are going into the biggest shopping season of the year. All the R9 280X, R9 290, R9 290X are either SOLD OUT or are ridiculously priced. $420 for a R9 280X?! $510 for a R9 290?! Are you KIDDING ME? That's like $120 MORE than the launch price. Retailers KNOW that it's in short supply so they could jack up the prices and make extra cash because they know someone else will buy it which screws over us gamers that want's to buy it at the launch price we were promised. Typical AMD, never learns from it's previous STUPID mistakes. And keeps on making the same mistake OVER and OVER again. Do you ever see an iPhone shortage going into the holiday season? Does the iPhone 5S cost MORE than it's launch price going into the holiday season? Of course not! Because Apple knows how to manage their supply chain and always makes sure that they have enough. That's why Apple is the biggest tech company in the world and are in flush with cash and AMD is where it's at, with debt and barely making any profit. You would think they would learn their lesson from the past. Guess not! :(

Even then, you may not get it because the orders far exceeded the stock that is coming in. So, I may not get a R9 290 for $399 till mid January or even later! That's totally unacceptable! (angry face!)

You might as well wait for non-reference R9-290 cards. JPR's statement doesn't address next-gen console shipments.

Both X1 and PS4 SOCs are not small.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Xtasy26

@ronvalencia said:

@Xtasy26 said:

@ronvalencia said:

@Xtasy26 said:

You might as well wait for non-reference R9-290 cards. JPR's statement doesn't address next-gen console shipments.

Both X1 and PS4 SOCs are not small.

Console shipments have nothing to do with AMD's ability to deliver because according to this:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20131101PD206.html

Orders of 28nm chips (of which the Xbox One and PS4 are made of) it actually dropped by 70% at TSMC. There are plenty of 28nm wafers for AMD to pick up. Looks like they supplied as much Xbox One and PS4 APU's out of TSMC to M$ and Sony as they could handle. That shouldn't be the issue. It comes to pure incompetence of AMD. If I were them I would have brought out as much 28nm Wafers for the R9 series. I can understand them not making any 7950/7970s as that is old inventory and they want to clear out old inventory, but now the demand is so strong that according the AMD's Roy VP of channel sales AMD has gone back to making HD 7950/7970's on top of the R9 series GPU's because the demand according to him is "astonishing". They should have brought out as much 28nm wafers as possible in November so they could have an overstock for the Holidays, so people wouldn't have to wait what looks like January for new shipments. That's absolutely unacceptable. A company like AMD, given the money they lost should be running to their customers and try to make them as happy as possible. Not make them upset that they can't buy their graphics card for Christmas.

What also pisses me off is that why in the world it's taking this long for AMD and it's partners to release 3rd party coolers. It's MID December already and only NOW are we starting to see R9 290/290X custom coolers and those are only leaks of pictures, NOT the actual product. What were AMD and it's 3rd party were smoking over the past 2 month's. This is already December and we should have easily been able to purchase R9 290/290X with custom coolers. Don't tell me it takes two freakin months to make custom coolers.

And you are right I might as well wait to buy one with custom coolers. I hope it's not exaggerated pricing like $550 for a R9 290 with custom coolers.

On a side note: Looks like the price of Litecoin dropped from a high of $43 to $21 today:

http://coinmarketcap.com/

I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Low price may mean more miners trying to pick up Litecoin in hopes that the price may go up to $30+. That would mean less Radeons for gamers. :(

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ronvalencia

There are several 28 nm process types at TSMC i.e. 28 LP (low power), 28 HPL, 28 HPM (M for mobile), 28 HP (high performance) . The article talks about mobile type chips for cellular phones.

For example, 7970 likely to be using 28HP..

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Xtasy26
@ronvalencia said:

There are several 28 nm process types at TSMC i.e. 28 LP (low power), 28 HPL, 28 HPM (M for mobile), 28 HP (high performance) . The article talks about mobile type chips for cellular phones.

It's not just mobile chips. AMD also cut orders last month for their 28 nm APU\GPU's. There was an article about it from Digitimes:

"TSMC (TSM) has seen its 28nm utilization rate fall to 65%-70% due to a cutback of customer orders, reports DigiTimes. According to industry sources, Qualcomm

(QCOM) and AMD (AMD) have both cut their 28nm chip orders to the TSMC"

You could find a reference link from the site below:

http://www.theflyonthewall.com/permalinks/entry.php/TSMid1911642/TSM-TSMC-sees-utilization-rate-of-nm-processes-fall-DigiTimes-says

Like as I stated AMD felt they had enough orders for December and thought it was prudent to cut back on it's orders lest they overstock on the inventory and then having to do a write down in the future which was a bone headed move. Obviously, there wasn't enough in the supply chain even in November where there was some 3rd party manufacturers where out of stock for AMD R9 GPU's. But AMD thought they had "enough" while they should have overstocked, thus, we wouldn't have faced this crisis of lack of R9 280/290/X GPU's for the holiday season, the biggest spending season of the year. You ALWAYS overstock on items especially if you have a hit product like the R9 290/290X. Like I said, AMD doesn't seem to learn from it's mistake. They OVERSTOCK on items that no one want's and UNDERSTOCK on items that people want's.

I have been very fair to AMD given that they were abused by intel due to them bribing and threating PC makers to NOT use AMD chips effectively locking them out of profiting significantly from the PC market over the past 10+ years but this is TOTALLY unacceptable. There needs to be accountability on AMD's part.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ronvalencia

@Xtasy26 said:
@ronvalencia said:

It's not just mobile chips. AMD also cut orders last month for their 28 nm APU\GPU's. There was an article about it from Digitimes:

"TSMC (TSM) has seen its 28nm utilization rate fall to 65%-70% due to a cutback of customer orders, reports DigiTimes. According to industry sources, Qualcomm

(QCOM) and AMD (AMD) have both cut their 28nm chip orders to the TSMC"

You could find a reference link from the site below:

http://www.theflyonthewall.com/permalinks/entry.php/TSMid1911642/TSM-TSMC-sees-utilization-rate-of-nm-processes-fall-DigiTimes-says

Like as I stated AMD felt they had enough orders for December and thought it was prudent to cut back on it's orders lest they overstock on the inventory and then having to do a write down in the future which was a bone headed move. Obviously, there wasn't enough in the supply chain even in November where there was some 3rd party manufacturers where out of stock for AMD R9 GPU's. But AMD thought they had "enough" while they should have overstocked, thus, we wouldn't have faced this crisis of lack of R9 280/290/X GPU's for the holiday season, the biggest spending season of the year. You ALWAYS overstock on items especially if you have a hit product like the R9 290/290X. Like I said, AMD doesn't seem to learn from it's mistake. They OVERSTOCK on items that no one want's and UNDERSTOCK on items that people want's.

I have been very fair to AMD given that they were abused by intel due to them bribing and threating PC makers to NOT use AMD chips effectively locking them out of profiting significantly from the PC market over the past 10+ years but this is TOTALLY unacceptable. There needs to be accountability on AMD's part.

Do you think AMD is the only company making mistakes with 28nm inventory stocks?

From http://www.gictg.com/?p=5713

Huang said. “We under-planned the supply of 28nm. We need to fix that in the future,’’ he said.

------------

Have you considered AMD is trying to clear the existing Tahiti XT2 based inventory for incoming Tahiti XTL?

From http://wccftech.com/amd-preparing-tahiti-xtl-revision-radeon-r9-280x-graphic-card/

AMD plans to replace Radeon HD 280X's Tahiti XT2 with Tahiti XTL. Tahiti XTL may have improvements from Hawaii.

I wonder if Tahiti XTL will include AMD True Audio, 8 ACE units, each ACE having 8 queues and 'etc'.

PS4's GCN is basically a gimped 78x0/R9-270 with some of Hawaii's improvements.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Just for the record thanks to the large community that have grown since all AMD GPUs were sold out the value of one bitcoin has dropped from 1200$ to 500$. I smell refunds soon...