AMD Gaming GPU division soars 165% thanks to XOne and PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

AMD brought in record revenues for their GPU division ending 2013 on a positive note. Revenue was $865 million with a operating profit of $121 million. Never in the history of AMD's GPU division has AMD brought in that much money since AMD brought ATI in 2006. Even going back to the ATI days ATI didn't bring in that much money. Looks like the $5.4 billion AMD spent to buy ATI in 2006 is starting to pay dividends.

You can thank strong sales of XOne and PS4 for the 4+ million unit sales and even a little bit of the litecoin mining craze which benefited AMD.

I would still rate AMD as in critical but stable condition as AMD hasn't been consistent. It's topsy turvey for them. Sometimes they do good sometimes they don't. So, AMD needs to do well in every quarter not just one quarter.

Hopefully, people will continue to buy XOne and PS4 so people can start to rake in the cash throughout ALL of 2014. A competitive AMD is good for ALL Gamers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/01/22/increasing-focus-on-new-growth-markets-helps-amd-close-2013-on-a-positive-note/

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By 560ti
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

ALL HAIL AMD *starts blowing 3 dicks at the same time*

Seriously (All hail AMD and full1080p !).

Its a good thing that there making solid money on the consoles since there GPU plan has flopped the last 3-4 months (lets re-badge a 7870 at a higher price and then take all the great cards like 280/290 series and produces almost none of them and force stock coolers on the 290 series !).

Luckily the console deal went through so AMD was able to get solid profits

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

i owned a 5850 which plowed through all games september 2010 - march 2012. and now own a reference model hd 7850. They are really great, but need to work on their drivers when the card is completely new. Some of their drivers in 2012 were a nightmare. i had insane artifacting with the 12.9 driver in skyrim.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator  Online
Member since 2006 • 127528 Posts

Now use some of that money to make a decent stock cooler at least. Can it be so damn hard?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16606 Posts

great news for AMD, they need to keep up the good work and use this momentum to increase profits.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@horgen123 said:

Now use some of that money to make a decent stock cooler at least. Can it be so damn hard?

I haven't built a PC in a while, but they still shipping out those jet engines?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Too bad this hasn't affected their stock price.

Maybe if they continue to show profits by the end of Q1 FY2014 I'll throw some money their way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Maybe if they continue to show profits by the end of Q1 FY2014 I'll throw some money their way.

Hell, maybe I'll buy a hundred dollars worth of stocks and see what happens.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fightingfan

@airshocker said:

They recently took a dip. As I remember looking at my portfolio and they were 4.50+ a few weeks/month ago.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I think AMD is in a great spot and will continue to grow and do well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Fightingfan said:

@airshocker said:

They recently took a dip. As I remember looking at my portfolio and they were 4.50+ a few weeks/month ago.

Because the board is being investigated.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 560ti

@Fightingfan said:

Not only are they still shipping them out but AMD actually forced stock coolers on the R9 290 and R9 290x when they came out (they purposely didn't give the third party vendors the right/plans to make them at launch).

It took almost two months for the first non-jet engine R9 290/290x to come out and then another month after that for most of the other brands to come out........ (not only are the jet engines still around but AMD is actually going out of there way to have the consumer purchase them).

AMD has been looking like amateurs the last 3 months (re-badging the 7870 while charging more, stock issues even before the mining boom, and forcing stock coolers down are throats). Luckily the console deal is making them money

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fightingfan

@560ti said:

@Fightingfan said:

s (re-badging the 7870 while charging more, stock issues even before the mining boom, and forcing stock coolers down are throats). Luckily the console deal is making them money

That's the only reason I jumped on their stocks @ $2.30

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xtasy26

@horgen123: Well they have started to produce 3rd party GPUs with stock coolers. Such as the XFX Double Dissipation R9 290:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150697

@RevanBITW said:

Ewww.....you got a sick and perverted mind.

@560ti said:

@RevanBITW said:

Seriously (All hail AMD and full1080p !).

Its a good thing that there making solid money on the consoles since there GPU plan has flopped the last 3-4 months (lets re-badge a 7870 at a higher price and then take all the great cards like 280/290 series and produces almost none of them and force stock coolers on the 290 series !).

Luckily the console deal went through so AMD was able to get solid profits

Well it wasn't just the console deals. They did pretty well on the graphics card side with the litecoin mining craze.

@airshocker said:
@Fightingfan said:

@airshocker said:

Well I think that has very little effect. I think that stock is heavily shorted. But the major reason I would say is due to the fact of weak guidance. Both intel and AMD are suffering due to the plunging PC sales. intel went down too after their last report too. Thankfully their GPU division is carrying AMD.

@Fightingfan said:

@560ti said:

@Fightingfan said:

s (re-badging the 7870 while charging more, stock issues even before the mining boom, and forcing stock coolers down are throats). Luckily the console deal is making them money

That's the only reason I jumped on their stocks @ $2.30

Might I ask, how much did you buy at $2.30? That was a good entry point.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 560ti

@Xtasy26 said: Well it wasn't just the console deals. They did pretty well on the graphics card side with the litecoin mining craze

The mining craze didn't do nearly the amount of good as people think (a craze doesn't help you if you had NO STOCK before the craze).

The 290/290x where out of stock by the third week of November and by Thanksgiving (Thanksgiving was a week before the mining crazy), only two models of the 280x where in stock (so majority of the 280x where gone).

As a result people flooded the used 7950/7970 market on ebay/amazon which technically didn't make AMD any money

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fightingfan

@Xtasy26 I simply purchased them when they were at an all time low. It was 2.30 and some change.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Xtasy26 said:
@airshocker said:
@Fightingfan said:

@airshocker said:

Well I think that has very little effect. I think that stock is heavily shorted. But the major reason I would say is due to the fact of weak guidance. Both intel and AMD are suffering due to the plunging PC sales. intel went down too after their last report too. Thankfully their GPU division is carrying AMD.

Long-term it may have very little effect but the most current dip was most likely because of the announcement that the board of directors were being investigated.

Apparently investors aren't convinced that AMD can keep these profits up. We'll see what happens on Monday. May be a fantastic opportunity to short the stock.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xtasy26

@Fightingfan said:

@Xtasy26 I simply purchased them when they were at an all time low. It was 2.30 and some change.

I am just curious, since you brought it at a good price. What price would you exit at? It's hovering around $3.30-.37 right now. $1.00 more that the price you paid for.

@airshocker said:

@Xtasy26 said:
@airshocker said:
@Fightingfan said:

@airshocker said:

Apparently investors aren't convinced that AMD can keep these profits up. We'll see what happens on Monday. May be a fantastic opportunity to short the stock.

Yeah keeping up profits has been AMD's achilles hill over the past 7-8 years. I hope 2014 becomes a water shed moment for AMD. I hope XOne and PS4 sells at least 10-15 million units all through out 2014.