AMD Confirms NO HD 8xxx series cards until maybe next year.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11565 posts) -

Yes, I made that comment. I cannot say anything more than what Ive already said, really. AMD and its partners are happy with the HD 7000 Series, and it will continue to be our emphasis in the channel for the foreseeable future. I should note that HD 8000 Series has never been so much as hinted at for a channel release. Anything to the contrary is an unsubstantiated rumor fabricated to drive traffic. Robert Hallock

Radeon-HD-8000-Delayed.png

AMD-Radeon-January-2013-Slide-2.jpg

It's quite logical to think Nvidia has done the same. No?

#2 Posted by Horgen (114997 posts) -
If nVidia releases their rumoured Titan, AMD has no choice but to follow up. If they don't, then no they don't have to. But this is probably just said so that sales won't go down because people are waiting for the 8XXX series.
#3 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

If the 800 series is nothing more than the super elite cards, they don't need to release them. The marketshare for those cards might be half a percent of the market 

#4 Posted by 04dcarraher (22492 posts) -
almost all the 8000 OEM's are just rebranded 7000's just to let others know,
#5 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11565 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"]If nVidia releases their rumoured Titan, AMD has no choice but to follow up. If they don't, then no they don't have to. But this is probably just said so that sales won't go down because people are waiting for the 8XXX series.

If that so called Titan costs $899, then no they don't.
#6 Posted by overhead_drums (333 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="horgen123"]If nVidia releases their rumoured Titan, AMD has no choice but to follow up. If they don't, then no they don't have to. But this is probably just said so that sales won't go down because people are waiting for the 8XXX series.

If that so called Titan costs $899, then no they don't.

I agree, the Titan is going to live in a much higher price range than the 7 series anyway.
#7 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
And this is where competition comes in, they can only sit on the 8000 for as long as Nvidia sits on the 700 series. If Nvidia hits a homerun with the 700's then 7000 series from AMD will only remain appealing after significant price drops.
#8 Posted by ronvalencia (23201 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

Yes, I made that comment. I cannot say anything more than what Ive already said, really. AMD and its partners are happy with the HD 7000 Series, and it will continue to be our emphasis in the channel for the foreseeable future. I should note that HD 8000 Series has never been so much as hinted at for a channel release. Anything to the contrary is an unsubstantiated rumor fabricated to drive traffic. Robert Hallock

Radeon-HD-8000-Delayed.png

AMD-Radeon-January-2013-Slide-2.jpg

2013's Q4 has AMD Kaveri APU/Streamroller. It looks like AMD sync'ing it's GPU release with it's CPU.
#9 Posted by ronvalencia (23201 posts) -
almost all the 8000 OEM's are just rebranded 7000's just to let others know,04dcarraher
Based on CN leaks, 8950-OEM includes memory speed updates e.g. GDDR5 @ 1500Mhz/6000Mhz GDDR5 @ 1500Mhz/6000Mhz update was included with last Nov 2012's 7870 XT.
#10 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (21580 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

ronvalencia

2013's Q4 has AMD Kaveri APU/Streamroller. It looks like AMD sync'ing it's GPU release with it's CPU.

I'm also waiting for Steamroller before assembling a new PC. I guess I can wait that long.

#11 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
This makes me feel better about just buying a 7970.
#12 Posted by overhead_drums (333 posts) -
This makes me feel better about just buying a 7970.DJ_Lae
Exactly what i was thinking!!! But at the mo i'm having problems with it.... But still i agree!
#13 Posted by kungfool69 (2584 posts) -

when could we expect a price drop on the current range? have we just had one?

#14 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
More like next gen consoles will remain their primary focus for some time. amirite
#15 Posted by darksusperia (6945 posts) -
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]More like next gen consoles will remain their primary focus for some time. amirite

mobile chips. you're right.
#16 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

when could we expect a price drop on the current range? have we just had one?

kungfool69

Unlikely currently AMD has a price advatage on the best single gpu's. So unless the 800 series is more meant for the higher end gamer vs the elite. You will not see much of a price drop

#17 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6422 posts) -

This is lame its been like a year already!! I was gonna get something new and fresh for Rome Total War 2. Well maybe by the end of this year some good new CPUs will come