Am I the only one who's getting a Dune vibe from this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

juliaeh.png

Remember that old Ms-Dos game Dune? The Cryo Interactive one, not the Westwood one.

Am I the only one getting a strong "Dune" vibe from this game?

it makes me want to lead my fremen against the Harkonnen, lol

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Not sure if it's just me, but the link seems to be busted.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rilpas
argh, sorry, try it now!
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I see what you mean, it is very Arakis.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rilpas
I'm pretty interested in the game personally :P
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

the very fact that there is grass everywhere, and clouds, leads me to say "no, this is nothing like Dune".

Also, I recommend reading the book.  Great science fiction. Arguably to Scifi what LOTR is to fantasy.

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

the very fact that there is grass everywhere, and clouds, leads me to say "no, this is nothing like Dune".

Also, I recommend reading the book.  Great science fiction. Arguably to Scifi what LOTR is to fantasy.

mrbojangles25

Definitely. Probably the best SciFi book ever written. Great storytelling and good arguments without turning into a manifesto. I'm looking at you Robert A. Heinlein.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

Remember that old Ms-Dos game Dune? The Cryo Interactive one, not the Westwood one.

rilpas
Oh, right. The first Dune game that no one really liked? Yeah, I'm getting that vibe too.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rilpas

mrbojangles25
Actually the first dune game had quite a lot of grass halfway through
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rilpas
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

SKaREO
Oh, right. The first Dune game that no one really liked? Yeah, I'm getting that vibe too.

If no one liked it then howcome it's considered as a great PC classic? silly Skareo, having terrible taste in his games
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SKaREO
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

If no one liked it then howcome it's considered as a great PC classic? silly Skareo, having terrible taste in his games

It's not considered a classic. Dune II by Westwood was the classic.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] Oh, right. The first Dune game that no one really liked? Yeah, I'm getting that vibe too.SKaREO

of course it's considered a classic. The game was praised by critics and gamers alike in its time. :|

still is.

If you don't like the game that's fine. But saying "no one liked it" or that it isn't considered a classic is just downright silly

feverberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 feverberries
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

mrbojangles25
i consider myself a bit of a scifi buff, but i have never read that book. i should propably be ashamed.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rilpas
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

feverberries
i consider myself a bit of a scifi buff, but i have never read that book. i should propably be ashamed.

the first two books are great! the rest... heh... an assortment of hit and misses
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="rilpas"] If no one liked it then howcome it's considered as a great PC classic? silly Skareo, having terrible taste in his gamesrilpas

of course it's considered a classic. The game was praised by critics and gamers alike in its time. :|

still is.

If you don't like the game that's fine. But saying "no one liked it" or that it isn't considered a classic is just downright silly

I also liked the original Dune as well...it was one of the first game I ever owned on CD-Rom too :P

Don't remember how well it was received back then, but looking at most of the DOS archive sites it has high scores and has Top Dog+ status on HOTU for instance.

Anyways SKaREO is just a very cynical and miserable person...best to leave him to his own affliction.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SKaREO

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] It's not considered a classic. Dune II by Westwood was the classic.Renevent42

still is.

I also liked the original Dune as well...it was one of the first game I ever owned on CD-Rom too :P

Don't remember how well it was received back then, but looking at most of the DOS archive sites it has high scores and has Top Dog+ status on HOTU for instance.

Anyways SKaREO is just a very cynical and miserable person...best to leave him to his own affliction.

The original Dune was an overrated cinematic driven game that got terrible reception from gamers at the time. Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger is a far better game with much higher production values and solid gameplay with nearly endless replayability. It was another cinematic driven game that took full advantage of CD-ROM technology. I would recommend you play through both the first Dune and then try Wing Commander III and let me know which you think is a more desirable game. I guarantee you that Chris Roberts' space sims are infinitely more appealing to gamers than the boring drawn out cinematic trash that is Dune. Dune II, on the other hand, was an amazing game and it could be argued that it defined the genre of RTS games.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

still is.

SKaREO

The original Dune was an overrated cinematic driven game that got terrible reception from gamers at the time. Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger is a far better game with much higher production values and solid gameplay with nearly endless replayability. It was another cinematic driven game that took full advantage of CD-ROM technology. I would recommend you play through both the first Dune and then try Wing Commander III and let me know which you think is a more desirable game. I guarantee you that Chris Roberts' space sims are infinitely more appealing to gamers than the boring drawn out cinematic trash that is Dune. Dune II, on the other hand, was an amazing game and it could be argued that it defined the genre of RTS games.

this is 100% correct

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

mrbojangles25
isn't there supposed to be grass in the north and south poles or something? anyway, agree about the book. Probably my favorite of all time.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]

mrbojangles25

this is 100% correct

Wrong, but I'll actually use cold hard evidence to support my opinion.

Let's talk first about the "terrible reception" it supposedly got:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dune/mobyrank

http://www.abandonia.com/games/46

The same thing is on all the major DOS archive sites, the game is rated fairly strongly. Obviously lots of people enjoyed the game, so the statement "... got terrible reception from gamers at the time" is categorically false. Maybe you hated it (fine), but you don't represent everyone. Based on ratings more people liked it then didn't.

Now regarding Wing Commander III, first off, it came out like 2 years later so no kidding it took more advantage of the technology. Secondly, who cares if Wing Commander III is better anyways? Did anyone say Dune was the greatest game in the world? I liked WCIII better as well, what does that have to do with anything?

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rilpas

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] The original Dune was an overrated cinematic driven game that got terrible reception from gamers at the time. Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger is a far better game with much higher production values and solid gameplay with nearly endless replayability. It was another cinematic driven game that took full advantage of CD-ROM technology. I would recommend you play through both the first Dune and then try Wing Commander III and let me know which you think is a more desirable game. I guarantee you that Chris Roberts' space sims are infinitely more appealing to gamers than the boring drawn out cinematic trash that is Dune. Dune II, on the other hand, was an amazing game and it could be argued that it defined the genre of RTS games. Renevent42

this is 100% correct

Wrong, but I'll actually use cold hard evidence to support my opinion.

Let's talk first about the "terrible reception" it supposedly got:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dune/mobyrank

http://www.abandonia.com/games/46

The same thing is on all the major DOS archive sites, the game is rated fairly strongly. Obviously lots of people enjoyed the game, so the statement "... got terrible reception from gamers at the time" is categorically false. Maybe you hated it (fine), but you don't represent everyone. Based on ratings more people liked it then didn't.

Now regarding Wing Commander III, first off, it came out like 2 years later so no kidding it took more advantage of the technology. Secondly, who cares if Wing Commander III is better anyways? Did anyone say Dune was the greatest game in the world? I liked WCIII better as well, what does that have to do with anything?

and with that none of the trolls were ever heard from again.

Seriously though, I hope they were just trolls, because comparing Dune to Wing Commander 3 is just immensily stupid

also, while we're at it, back in the day, Amiga Action scored it an 87%

027.jpg&c=68165&n=1&filesize=394809

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rilpas

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Kh1ndjal

isn't there supposed to be grass in the north and south poles or something? anyway, agree about the book. Probably my favorite of all time.

there was also vegetation in the first game :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

rilpas

there was also vegetation in the first game :P

I'm talking from the book's portrayal.  The is ice at the poles, rock, sand, and the occasional scrub elsewhere.  There is very little moisture in the air, which is captured often by windtraps, and any moisture in the earth is quickly absorbed by something mysterious (don't want to spoil it for anyone).

If there was grass in Dune the game (I sure dont remember it in Dune 2), then they did it wrong lol.

dajiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dajiang
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
 Decently. Better than FC3. Probably mostly high settings