Am I suffering from a burnout or games are just not entertaining anymore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kopogero
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

I'm 27, been gaming since the days of arcade and bought Nintento when it was released, then SNES, then PSX then DreamCast. When I got my PC 2001 and never bought PS2, Xbox, Wii etc, cuz I enjoyed multiplayer games like Star Craft, Half Life 1, Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies and a lot of F2P MMORPG far more, anyways.

I've played most single players with joy over the last 2 decades, but in recent years I cannot see myself playing some of the most popular, top rated games. So that being said I have not played any single player games and cannot find a good reason to do so.

Games I've enjoyed a lot over the last decade were Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Craft 1, World of Warcraft (Only do arena on it now, but thats gonna be over soon cuz Blizzard is doing nothing to stop MMR abuse and win trading)

Planetside 2 feels meh. 3 factions with endless struggle for territory and dont feel I can do much impact alone in that game. Then hacks and players who use multi accounts to ruin the gameplay experience just adds further bump. So thats out of the picture. Popular FPS games like BF3 are not more different for me than CS or HL. Endless FPS without any greater picture, just temporary fun and go kill each other and repeat.

Anyways, I can go on forever or why I am struggling right now to find one great game to play (and I've missed 95% of PC games since 2007) So I hope the community can give me one good reason why there is one game out there that doesn't feel more of the same what I played over the last decade. Xenogears, Suikoden III, FFVIII were some of the most memorable single player games I remember playing with such engaging and serious story, great characters, difficult yet great combat, music and a lot of things to do beside go there, complete that quest, then go do that quest and predictible narrative.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kopogero
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

I'm also trying to find games with high replayability value atm. Something like Civilization 5, NBA2k13 or maeby Skyrim.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

This question is asked at least once a month. And to be honest, it always involves cases were people are focusing on either one genre, or a couple of them. It is common sense that people will get burned out wen sticking to just a handful of games from the couple of popular genres. Try something different than what you'd played, like a brilliant dungeon crawler such as Legend of Grimrock.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Games are no longer built to be mentally challenging. There's less puzzles are more tutorials implemented into the ui/hub. They're just made to cater to mass market, look at FC3. The Ui constantly tells the player what to do through-out the game, the entire game is a tutorial which leaves nothing for the player to figure out on their own. Without the challenge, or without something to figure out the entertainment value ( imo ) drops as soon as the visuals become old .

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Games are not fun nowadays because they are designed to appeal to a broader base than gamers.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Things are getting easier, that's for sure. Then again, you can self-impose challenges... I love trying to play non-stealth games stealthily, for instance.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10431 Posts

if you've missed 95% of pc games since 2007 then you've missed out on a ton of great games (although not much this year tbf). start with crysis and stalker and go from there

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I advise a break, first of all. Find another hobby and do that for a little while.

Secondly, there are lot of great games from the past decade that are worth playing, like Stalker, Vampires: The Masquerade Bloodlines, etc. Get them during the inevitable Steam Christmas sale.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Im in the same boat man. There are still some good games out there, but you need to look for them. FTL has been my new love.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#10 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

As I've gotten older I've also struggled to keep my attention on a game for long. There's very few games these days that can keep me playing them for hours. The last game I've been able to lose hours in just enjoying it and not realising how much I've played, was probably Diablo 3 when it came out.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
I've going through the same thing. I know I'm burned out of gaming in general. I might try out a new genre, but I have a feeling I'll just take a break and do something else with my time. Maybe I can finish writing that damn book... hmm... *strokes chin*
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Start off with Shock 2. There are plenty of great games you haven't heard off. Keep looking =).

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It could be both. If you really enjoy video games, and everything about them like reading up on gaming news, hardware, etc.. then it's really difficult to get burned out.. but it can happen. When you do, just take a break and do some other activities. If you come back to it and find that you still can't get back into it.. then maybe you're not entertained any more. Then it's maybe time to do some soul-searching and find something else you'll enjoy.

But rest assured, there are a ton of great games since 2007.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Games are no longer built to be mentally challenging. There's less puzzles are more tutorials implemented into the ui/hub. They're just made to cater to mass market, look at FC3. The Ui constantly tells the player what to do through-out the game, the entire game is a tutorial which leaves nothing for the player to figure out on their own. Without the challenge, or without something to figure out the entertainment value ( imo ) drops as soon as the visuals become old .

ShimmerMan

When was Far Cry a puzzle challenging game?

There are plenty of games out there that challenge you mentally, Portal is one of the many.

TC, I get that sometimes as well. You know what I do, stop playing alltogether. I just check my emails and surf the net, then turn the PC and read a book, watch movies/TV, hang out with friends, exercise etc.

Do that for a couple of weeks and then come back to it.

CassiusGaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CassiusGaius
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

This is how I have honestly felt for a very long time, but I just kept moving along. I kinda just droned on playing mmo for years, not much joy overall in it(while playing a few retail releases a year). Recently though, for no reason at all, my interest in gaming has really been reinvigorated. I beat Mark of the Ninja, Torchlight 2, Hotline Miami, and Far Cry 3. I beat these 4 games all within a month, which for me is nothing short of a miracle since I typically only "beat" a few games a year.

I'd like to note that I'm one of those with a stupid steam backlog and pretty much buy games just for the sake of it. I decided to change this mentality and for I'm certainly getting a greater satisfaction from gaming overall. I highly recommend Hotline Miami if you enjoy fairly challenging games(672 deaths to beat a short game). Anyways, maybe you are burned out. Sometimes I think a shift in perception can help and perhaps taking a break wouldn't be the worst thing either.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

What other hobbies do you have bro?

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts
I'm on the same boat, I've been jumping from games to games and I never get to finish them, I used to spend hours upon hours on games and used to be able to finish every game I started but now even the highest rates games I can't, I'm also 27 and I noticed this started happening to me about 2 years ago. These days I Kinda force myself to finish the games I got but still it feels like a chore and I'm not sure what's happening to me cuz games and gaming in general is the most enjoyable thing to me.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

I'm on the same boat, I've been jumping from games to games and I never get to finish them, I used to spend hours upon hours on games and used to be able to finish every game I started but now even the highest rates games I can't, I'm also 27 and I noticed this started happening to me about 2 years ago. These days I Kinda force myself to finish the games I got but still it feels like a chore and I'm not sure what's happening to me cuz games and gaming in general is the most enjoyable thing to me.II-Siamak-II

Look at your sig.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
I'm on the same boat, I've been jumping from games to games and I never get to finish them, I used to spend hours upon hours on games and used to be able to finish every game I started but now even the highest rates games I can't, I'm also 27 and I noticed this started happening to me about 2 years ago. These days I Kinda force myself to finish the games I got but still it feels like a chore and I'm not sure what's happening to me cuz games and gaming in general is the most enjoyable thing to me.II-Siamak-II
People need to realize that when you get to 27-30 you start to grow up, and look past gaming. Do what I suggested in my prior post.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I haven't played a lot either. On average, 5 hrs a week, maybe less. I still love gaming, and I enjoy reading reviews, topics on these boards, watching videos etc... but I'm not as excited as I used to be when I get a new game. I jump from one game to another after a few hrs, not focusing on one which is something I hate doing. The easy is answer is of course just focus... but I just get so bored/uninterested that I move on. I don't think it's the lack challenge either as I'm generally a noob. I probably have 50+ unplayed games (thanks to those crazy sales), at least a dozen being AAA. I realized a few months back that's such a waste, so I've limited buying. I still buy game because they're so damn cheap, but end up just gifting them. It actually make me feel a bit better since I know that, at least, someone will enjoy them. After a long time of not reading comics, I went back a few months ago and enjoying it as I did when I was younger. Maybe video games will be like that if I just took a break for a few months.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]I haven't played a lot either. On average, 5 hrs a week, maybe less. I still love gaming, and I enjoy reading reviews, topics on these boards, watching videos etc... but I'm not as excited as I used to be when I get a new game. I jump from one game to another after a few hrs, not focusing on one which is something I hate doing. The easy is answer is of course just focus... but I just get so bored/uninterested that I move on. I don't think it's the lack challenge either as I'm generally a noob. I probably have 50+ unplayed games (thanks to those crazy sales), at least a dozen being AAA. I realized a few months back that's such a waste, so I've limited buying. I still buy game because they're so damn cheap, but end up just gifting them. It actually make me feel a bit better since I know that, at least, someone will enjoy them. After a long time of not reading comics, I went back a few months ago and enjoying it as I did when I was younger. Maybe video games will be like that if I just took a break for a few months.

It's happening to a lot of gamers because of one simple reason, MULTITUDE OF CHOICES. Back 10 years ago you would only get 1-2 new games x week....some weeks not even, so the games you played, you played till the end and then some. These days, you buy a game and by the end of the day there are another 4 games released..... and gamers want to play them all so they feel they need to quickly finish one to move to the next (or not even finish).
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]I'm on the same boat, I've been jumping from games to games and I never get to finish them, I used to spend hours upon hours on games and used to be able to finish every game I started but now even the highest rates games I can't, I'm also 27 and I noticed this started happening to me about 2 years ago. These days I Kinda force myself to finish the games I got but still it feels like a chore and I'm not sure what's happening to me cuz games and gaming in general is the most enjoyable thing to me.FelipeInside
People need to realize that when you get to 27-30 you start to grow up, and look past gaming. Do what I suggested in my prior post.

You know Felipe, I tried that and I always see myself missing something in my life, which is games, then I come back and it's the same thing all over again. thing is my biggest problem is I can't focus on the games i start. i keep jumping between games every 30 min or so and I get nosiated and sick in stomach. then I have to stop till the next day and the next day it's the same thing. I've been researching alot lately regarding my problem and I can't find any solution on the net unfortunately.:(

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]I'm on the same boat, I've been jumping from games to games and I never get to finish them, I used to spend hours upon hours on games and used to be able to finish every game I started but now even the highest rates games I can't, I'm also 27 and I noticed this started happening to me about 2 years ago. These days I Kinda force myself to finish the games I got but still it feels like a chore and I'm not sure what's happening to me cuz games and gaming in general is the most enjoyable thing to me.II-Siamak-II

You know Felipe, I tried that and I always see myself missing something in my life, which is games, then I come back and it's the same thing all over again. thing is my biggest problem is I can't focus on the games i start. i keep jumping between games every 30 min or so and I get nosiated and sick in stomach. then I have to stop till the next day and the next day it's the same thing. I've been researching alot lately regarding my problem and I can't find any solution on the net unfortunately.:(

Let me ask and give more advice: - Do you have a partner? - Try having just ONE or TWO games installed at a time.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]I haven't played a lot either. On average, 5 hrs a week, maybe less. I still love gaming, and I enjoy reading reviews, topics on these boards, watching videos etc... but I'm not as excited as I used to be when I get a new game. I jump from one game to another after a few hrs, not focusing on one which is something I hate doing. The easy is answer is of course just focus... but I just get so bored/uninterested that I move on. I don't think it's the lack challenge either as I'm generally a noob. I probably have 50+ unplayed games (thanks to those crazy sales), at least a dozen being AAA. I realized a few months back that's such a waste, so I've limited buying. I still buy game because they're so damn cheap, but end up just gifting them. It actually make me feel a bit better since I know that, at least, someone will enjoy them. After a long time of not reading comics, I went back a few months ago and enjoying it as I did when I was younger. Maybe video games will be like that if I just took a break for a few months.

It's happening to a lot of gamers because of one simple reason, MULTITUDE OF CHOICES. Back 10 years ago you would only get 1-2 new games x week....some weeks not even, so the games you played, you played till the end and then some. These days, you buy a game and by the end of the day there are another 4 games released..... and gamers want to play them all so they feel they need to quickly finish one to move to the next (or not even finish).

That is exactly how I feel :P I want to play them all but there's too many and too little time, this affects my enjoyment of the games. Sometimes I just have to take a break and play "lite" gaming experiences like Bastion or FTL, instead of a huge single player game.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

It's happening to a lot of gamers because of one simple reason, MULTITUDE OF CHOICES. Back 10 years ago you would only get 1-2 new games x week....some weeks not even, so the games you played, you played till the end and then some. These days, you buy a game and by the end of the day there are another 4 games released..... and gamers want to play them all so they feel they need to quickly finish one to move to the next (or not even finish). FelipeInside
That's true. In my SNES days I think I had 12 games in total and I was proud of my little collection. I finished every one of them, multiple times. Then I got PS1, and learned about buying used/cheap games. I think that's where my hoarding began. And now, with PC, there's just so many. A part of me wishes that one year (or a few), they should stop making new games so I can catch up. :P

Edit: Obligatory - first world problems

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

nop, most big budget titles are garbo

Wii and PS2.

That's how I found Klonoa 2(last year),

rocket knight adventures (3 years ago, although that's sega genesis)

spyro,and ofc all the zelda games.

Although exceptions, like BF3's MP which surprised me. But I just play TDM and the game feels like a single player game bcuz i'm 2gud.

also indie games, if they have coop, make your friends' lives miserable

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] People need to realize that when you get to 27-30 you start to grow up, and look past gaming. Do what I suggested in my prior post. FelipeInside

Let me ask and give more advice: - Do you have a partner? - Try having just ONE or TWO games installed at a time.

By partner if you mean girlfriend? yes and we are spending a lot of time with eachother. but thats a diffrent story lol, I almost feel I dont have enough time playing my games due to GF, school and work and the time I get to have for gaming is keep going to waste...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

II-Siamak-II

By partner if you mean girlfriend? yes and we are spending a lot of time with eachother. but thats a diffrent story lol, I almost feel I dont have enough time playing my games due to GF, school and work and the time I get to have for gaming is keep going to waste...

Welcome to the real world. Try getting married in 2 months, forget gaming...lol

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Let me ask and give more advice: - Do you have a partner? - Try having just ONE or TWO games installed at a time.FelipeInside

i can confirm this is true
my friend is in the navy used to play QL all the time.
We worked really good together, his fast reactions and my mouse aim, epin combo.
gets married, has kid, barely plays.
he needs to lock dhat basement.
FishinTheSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FishinTheSalt
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

Two words.... Dungeon Defenders.

then clear your schedule for the next 6 months.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

JigglyWiggly_

We worked really good together, his fast reactions and my mouse aim, epin combo.

So he left YOU for a Hot Girl....? Shame on him....SHAME !!!
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

So he left YOU for a Hot Girl....? Shame on him....SHAME !!!

wut

i meant he no longer duels

he was good to fight against, his fast reaction play style was very different from most players

only time we were on the same team was in clan arena

but i mainly played with him because his style was where I was a bit weaker. His strafe LG was really hard for me to counter. I usually just outaim to win, but his strafe lg was very good.

Most dwellers have garbo aim and normal reactions.

So when I vsed him I actually had to play a bit smarter, which is rare.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Let me ask and give more advice: - Do you have a partner? - Try having just ONE or TWO games installed at a time.FelipeInside

Naa...too early to get married, even tho we have been together for the past 3 years and gaming is the 1 and only hobby i got man. but lately its gotten worst. last game i could actually finish was Max Payne 3 and enjoy and even that I was rushing it to finish it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

II-Siamak-II

Naa...too early to get married, even tho we have been together for the past 3 years and gaming is the 1 and only hobby i got man. but lately its gotten worst. last game i could actually finish was Max Payne 3 and enjoy and even that I was rushing it to finish it.

What I meant was I'm getting married in 2 months, so if you ever do, forget about gaming. Then kids.....lol, even less gametime. Enjoy what you have. These days I'm so tired when I come home from work, that after house duties, planning, cleaning and cooking....I just want to sit down and watch TV, not put my brain towards gaming (unless it's mindless fun like CoD).
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]I'm on the same boat, I've been jumping from games to games and I never get to finish them, I used to spend hours upon hours on games and used to be able to finish every game I started but now even the highest rates games I can't, I'm also 27 and I noticed this started happening to me about 2 years ago. These days I Kinda force myself to finish the games I got but still it feels like a chore and I'm not sure what's happening to me cuz games and gaming in general is the most enjoyable thing to me.FelipeInside

Man, I was intending on playing games when I'm 60, but I have that same feeling now. I'm 26 and just bored of everything. I'm waiting for the next game to hopefully blow me away. Gaming is my only hobby so without it I would have a large void in my life.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]I'm on the same boat, I've been jumping from games to games and I never get to finish them, I used to spend hours upon hours on games and used to be able to finish every game I started but now even the highest rates games I can't, I'm also 27 and I noticed this started happening to me about 2 years ago. These days I Kinda force myself to finish the games I got but still it feels like a chore and I'm not sure what's happening to me cuz games and gaming in general is the most enjoyable thing to me.IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Man, I was intending on playing games when I'm 60, but I have that same feeling now. I'm 26 and just bored of everything. I'm waiting for the next game to hopefully blow me away. Gaming is my only hobby so without it I would have a large void in my life.

I'll still be gaming at 60, and so will you, but don't expect to get as many hours out of it (or even enjoyment) as you once did at 18. It's totally natural. People grow up and want other things in life (Partner, Children, House etc). My advice: get MORE hobbies. Trust me, it does wonders to gaming cause you concentrate on other stuff and then come back to gaming. Things like watching TV Shows, Reading Book Series, Playing Real Life Magic The Gathering, Real Life Warhammer..... etc etc.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
I dropped out of the gaming scene for the past 6 months as I found myself in the same situation, I suggest to enjoy your time with your gf and pick up real life hobbies, I started playing a lot of paintball lately and it is very enjoyable and can be enjoyed even with your gf. :) If you have to force yourself to play games and it doesn't come naturally then just don't do it. It's not a question of game genre here.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
In short, gaming went mainstream. It's not just a niche anymore, accessibility is the focus now. The gaming industry is now Hollywood.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Elann2008
In short, gaming went mainstream. It's not just a niche anymore, accessibility is the focus now. The gaming industry is now Hollywood.SKaREO
You got that right.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

People need to realize that when you get to 27-30 you start to grow up, and look past gaming. Do what I suggested in my prior post. FelipeInside

You don't just 'grow up' out of a hobby like playing games (including board games, not just video games), reading books or watching movies. It's a different situation for every guy out there, there's way to many variables and influences that can make a person bored of a hobby for even years before going back (if ever). I'm 31, and i can enjoy a good game from time to time. Some good gameplay to entertain myself, maybe a good story to experience.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Elann2008

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]People need to realize that when you get to 27-30 you start to grow up, and look past gaming. Do what I suggested in my prior post. Lucianu

You don't just 'grow up' out of a hobby like playing games (including board games, not just video games), reading books or watching movies. It's a different situation for every guy out there, there's way to many variables and influences that can make a person bored of a hobby for even years before going back (if ever). I'm 31, and i can enjoy a good game from time to time. Some good gameplay to entertain myself, maybe a good story to experience.

It's not about growing up. I don't think we grow out of it. We might suppress them, for other wants and needs, and priorities in life. But deep down inside. It's there. ;)
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]People need to realize that when you get to 27-30 you start to grow up, and look past gaming. Do what I suggested in my prior post. Lucianu

I never said you grow out of the hobby or get bored, I will still be playing at 60 but things change and you don't dedicate as much time as before.
Nintatterdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nintatterdemon
Member since 2010 • 69 Posts
Don't worry about it, take a break from gaming, it'll be fun when you get back. But to answer your question, games are just as fun as they ever were on any objective level.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I went back to playing older games as new games weren't doing it for me (for the most part) Especially being a fan of the more nich genres like traditional RPGs, tactical shooters, horror... There were a few exceptions here and there though like Dark Souls, New Vegas..

jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

I'm 27, been gaming since the days of arcade and bought Nintento when it was released, then SNES, then PSX then DreamCast. When I got my PC 2001 and never bought PS2, Xbox, Wii etc, cuz I enjoyed multiplayer games like Star Craft, Half Life 1, Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies and a lot of F2P MMORPG far more, anyways.

I've played most single players with joy over the last 2 decades, but in recent years I cannot see myself playing some of the most popular, top rated games. So that being said I have not played any single player games and cannot find a good reason to do so.

Games I've enjoyed a lot over the last decade were Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Craft 1, World of Warcraft (Only do arena on it now, but thats gonna be over soon cuz Blizzard is doing nothing to stop MMR abuse and win trading)

Planetside 2 feels meh. 3 factions with endless struggle for territory and dont feel I can do much impact alone in that game. Then hacks and players who use multi accounts to ruin the gameplay experience just adds further bump. So thats out of the picture. Popular FPS games like BF3 are not more different for me than CS or HL. Endless FPS without any greater picture, just temporary fun and go kill each other and repeat.

Anyways, I can go on forever or why I am struggling right now to find one great game to play (and I've missed 95% of PC games since 2007) So I hope the community can give me one good reason why there is one game out there that doesn't feel more of the same what I played over the last decade. Xenogears, Suikoden III, FFVIII were some of the most memorable single player games I remember playing with such engaging and serious story, great characters, difficult yet great combat, music and a lot of things to do beside go there, complete that quest, then go do that quest and predictible narrative.

Kopogero

I have this exact problem. Games I'm almost 100% sure I'll love end up being awful in my eyes. I don't know what it is. I have had this problem for a long time now and for whatever reason I cannot recapture my joy in gaming.

I've tried many different games across multiple genres and I just can't seem to enjoy games as much. I find them mildly entertaining and that's about it. I find myself going back to games I used to love and just playing them.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I agree with most of what Filipe is saying. As time go by your interest evolve and change. It doesnt mean that you 'have to' stop gaming. I'm in my late 30'ies and spend a good deal of time gaming.

I think the big thing here is stop obsessing over games. Games are generally nothing more than entertainment. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that there is absolutely no reason to play games if you're not enjoying yourself. I'd go even further, if you are spending a large part of your available spare time playing games without enjoying the time spend you need to seriously start thinking about treating it as an addiction or at the very least an unhealthy obsession.

So overall:

1) Remember that you dont have to play games. No one is paying you and unless you're having fun you might as well stop playing and do something else. Dont play games out of habit.

2) You dont have to play every game (or even half, or a quarter) of the games that comes out. You dont have to make sure that you try them all anymore than you 'need' to see all action movies released on DVD. If there is a game that sounds like you'd really enjoy it, pick it up and play it. If not, just ignore it.

3) Make a point of doing other stuff. If you find yourself starting a game out of habit, pick up some other interests. Read books that you've never read, download Unity and try making a game instead of playing one.

gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

I advise a break, first of all. Find another hobby and do that for a little while.

Secondly, there are lot of great games from the past decade that are worth playing, like Stalker, Vampires: The Masquerade Bloodlines, etc. Get them during the inevitable Steam Christmas sale.

The_Capitalist

When I burn my self out on video games I go to my guitar and start playing.

While I'm not really good at it, I find it fun