urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

i get it, holograms and virtual reality are the holy grail of gaming, but unless you have a fully imersive 3D area like a room where every inch which will bring these virtual worlds to life, think star trek holdeck, so that you can literally walk through or around in for gaming. then it is ridiculous.

there is nothing immersive about walking around with goggles on your head while holding control sticks, this sentence alone should point that out.

This whole thing is an advertisement for valve hardware, which they will prolly abandon like steam machines and steam os.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 attirex
Member since 2007 • 1676 Posts

HL3 confirmed!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15509 Posts

It's a brilliant idea. I can't wait to see what they can do with it.

VR is very immersive. Its a bit of a faf to get the headset on and the controllers on but after 30 seconds, in my experience anyway, i forget that i am wearing a headset and just enjoy playing whatever i am playing.

On a side note: valve haven't abandoned anything. The steam controller works just fine and remains fully supported. Valve are also still working with others to improve Linux as a gaming OS. e.g.

They have worked with codeweavers to develop proton to get more windows games running on linux with less fuss.

They are also working on a new compiler called ACO to reduce loading times on initial shader compilation and squeeze a little more performance out of your PC.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5636 Posts

Its not Half Life 3, sorry.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36496 Posts

I trust Valve, one of the few developers give the benefit of he doubt to. Wait and see for myself before I start ranting on forums about it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5583 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing what they've made.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3553 Posts

I understand why people are angry that it isn't Half Life 3 but honestly it's been 15 years since HL2 it's time to move on. I highly doubt they will make a third game they don't need the money and they don't want a chance of making a bad game that would tarnish the series it's not worth the risk for them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45040 Posts

@urbangamez: you have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

I'd say right now we are in the walking phase. Holodecks? That might be when we are running.

That doesn't mean we can't try and attempt to work on it, and it is definitely not a stupid idea.

There are already gymnasium-size, cordless VR setups for corporate tasks (i.e. visualizing buildings, machines, etc). Holodecks are probably not that far away, maybe a few decades.

@warmblur said:

I understand why people are angry that it isn't Half Life 3 but honestly it's been 15 years since HL2 it's time to move on. I highly doubt they will make a third game they don't need the money and they don't want a chance of making a bad game that would tarnish the series it's not worth the risk for them.

Pretty much how I feel. Plenty of good games out there to play, and none of us are entitled to Half-Life 3, as much as we might want it.

if you have not moved on by this point, you care too much. Either that or you want to hurt.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6570 Posts

Your immersive comment?... I am sorry but you are wrong, I have never been immersed in as I am with VR. Something the completely covers your vision and puts you in the game world is as close to total immersion we have right now.

Playing Pavlov VR which is a £10 indie MP shooter for VR that is essentially CSGO and I am completely BLOWN away, I can only imagine what a AAA game made by Valve will look like in VR.

Also once you go VR racing there is no going back.

Sorry you clearly haven't tried PC VR so your hate towards it is simply because you don't want to buy it or can't afford it which is cool, BUT you are wrong with the immersion.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 108

#10 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 614 Posts

@warmblur said:

For most people, at least that i've heard so far, the issue is that the game requires 500+ bucks worth of additional hardware to play the game, assuming they even have the PC specs to run said new hardware.

Everything i have seen of the game so far looks good, but because i have decided to invest in another VR platform, it is unlikely i'll ever get to play the game, which is unfortunate.

Still, i can see why Valve would do this, even if the frustration experienced by a lot of people seems warranted.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2029 Posts

@warmblur said:

First people claimed Valve doesn't make real games anymore. That they don't need to because they have so much money. Now that they finally are coming out with a full fledged cinematic game, you think Half-Life 3 is impossible? Why? Why do you people have so little hope? I'm not saying HL3 definitely will come out, but it seems really premature to just assume it won't when Valve will be releasing their first big game early next year since Portal 2 nine years before, which shows nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. Again you're saying they don't need the money, but they don't need the money from Half-Life: Alyx either.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3553 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@warmblur said:

First people claimed Valve doesn't make real games anymore. That they don't need to because they have so much money. Now that they finally are coming out with a full fledged cinematic game, you think Half-Life 3 is impossible? Why? Why do you people have so little hope? I'm not saying HL3 definitely will come out, but it seems really premature to just assume it won't when Valve will be releasing their first big game early next year since Portal 2 nine years before, which shows nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. Again you're saying they don't need the money, but they don't need the money from Half-Life: Alyx either.

That is true but it's a great way to get people to buy their VR headsets that wouldn't of before I also think it's a safe way to put out a new Half Life game without the pressure of calling it HL3.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4266 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I trust Valve, one of the few developers give the benefit of he doubt to. Wait and see for myself before I start ranting on forums about it.

Valve can't even get their digital platform to run properly after the whole shit show of a UI change they pushed out 3+ weeks back.

Even with the more recent updates they've been trying to push out to fix issues, they've crippled the forums on Steam. The past 10+ days the forums don't update topics properly, are non-responsive, give errors when trying to post....I may not have been a big contributor on the forums there (nor here or any forum I'm part of), but I can't even read through them at times because of the problems.

I frequent the forums less and less now. I also don't buy anything from Steam nor purchase any game from any other digital distribution store that sells Steam keys because of how horrid the updated UI performs.

You're welcome to put your trust in Valve, but I won't. If they can't get their UI to function properly, it doesn't bode well for one to think they can make a game properly, at least not anymore.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11295 Posts

@lucidique: "Everything i have seen of the game so far looks good, but because i have decided to invest in another VR platform, it is unlikely i'll ever get to play the game, which is unfortunate."

What VR platform? Because Alyx is being made for all of them (the PC-based ones at least). You don't have to get the Valve Index.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lucidique

@the_bi99man said:

@lucidique: "Everything i have seen of the game so far looks good, but because i have decided to invest in another VR platform, it is unlikely i'll ever get to play the game, which is unfortunate."

What VR platform? Because Alyx is being made for all of them (the PC-based ones at least). You don't have to get the Valve Index.

That's PSVR.

Who knows, maybe it'll see a console release at some point.

It's not like there isn't a million other games to play in the meantime!

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2730 Posts

@lucidique said:
@the_bi99man said:

That's PSVR.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did see it on PSVR because their other games were.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 urbangamez

@mrbojangles25: This is not experimenting, its marketing.

what i am calling out is the fact that valve knew there was a market for anything half life, its not like gamers were waiting anxiously for portal the sequel. to accept any other explanation is to act as if the reason for half life 3 not being made is because vr wasn't around.

i would argue that the reason for half life 3 not being made is not because they are afraid making bad game that will tarnish the series, its because they have had a stranglehold on pc game digital distribution, so they didn't have to take any risks in developing a proper game. epic has been getting most of the big titles and the buzz of late, this gives valve a chance to make a splash.

as for gamers moving on and being hurt, like, come on man, what no gamers are supposed look forward to playing a title? if you buy a game and and it crashes to desktop constantly are you happy, are you like i dont want no damn patch for this game.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lucidique

@npiet1 said:
@lucidique said:
@the_bi99man said:

That's PSVR.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did see it on PSVR because their other games were.

Let's hope so!

I like VR a lot, but I don't think I would be down for buying another peripheral so soon.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

I know I am being overly optimistic, but I can't wait for this game to come out and all the professionals--developers, publishers, critics, streamers, and anyone with a voice-- worship it as one of the best games of all time, VR or otherwise.

People are going to be like "Damn" and have no choice but to take VR serious.

A fantasy, I know, but then again with Valve they just might pull it off. Keep in mind they managed to make one of (if not THE) greatest games of all time, twice, and this was before they had the financial support of Steam.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 urbangamez

@mrbojangles25: considering that the cost of owning a valve index vr kit is $999 plus taxes and shipping, it had better be one of the best vr games of all time and best played on valves own vr system.

i dont think its gonna go down well if index gamers find out they could have bought a cheaper vr kit for a better gaming experience.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 schu
Member since 2003 • 10069 Posts

How does it feel to be so wrong? VR will evolve for sure, but this is already pretty awesome.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 127

#22 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11031 Posts

@urbangamez said:

@mrbojangles25: considering that the cost of owning a valve index vr kit is $999 plus taxes and shipping, it had better be one of the best vr games of all time and best played on valves own vr system.

i dont think its gonna go down well if index gamers find out they could have bought a cheaper vr kit for a better gaming experience.

In terms of quality, Valve Index is easily the best VR headset out there. So, people are not going to get a better gaming experience with a cheaper VR kit.

I have had the original Oculus Rift since launch, but I would like to upgrade it. If Index had the trackers built into the HMD like the Rift S, I would probably upgrade. I would like the ease of use of the Rift S combined with the quality of the Index. Hopefully Oculus comes out with a Rift 2 that does not compromise on quality.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25

@BassMan said:
@urbangamez said:

...If Index had the trackers built into the HMD like the Rift S, I would probably upgrade. I would like the ease of use of the Rift S combined with the quality of the Index. Hopefully Oculus comes out with a Rift 2 that does not compromise on quality.

That is my requirement as well. When Index was announced and I Found out it needed tracking sensors, I was a bit disappointed tbh.

Like you said, everything else is top of the line, I Just think they missed a really good opportunity there.

I'll hold on to my vanilla Oculus Rift until VR either the next gen of VR comes out (hopefully within five years) or something like the Index or equivelent sells for $500 or less.

I'm still sold on VR, I'm just waiting for the next iteration. Hell, if my bonus is good this year, I might just splurge for the Index.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BassMan

@mrbojangles25: The setup process for the Index/Vive is ridiculous. It is good if you only use VR in one area, but sucks otherwise. I use my Rift in multiple areas of my home and I also take it with me along with my gaming laptop to other places. If I could forgo the external sensors/stands all together like the Rift S, that would be awesome. Too many compromises with the Rift S though. That is why I never bothered getting one.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12479 Posts

@urbangamez: No one told you to buy Steam hardware, we do need to push VR gaming.

Building a game from the ground up just for VR and not some VR adaptation is a brilliant idea IMO - this way gameplay and cutscenes are VR focused.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 urbangamez

@gerygo: i have no objections to vr gaming being pushed.

what i object to are misleading comments, valve is using their most popular ip and locking it behind an artificial paywall, under the guise of it can't be translated to m/kb. just say we are building a vr game that will run best on our vr platform for $999.00. since they announced it my understanding is that valve index has been selling a lot lately.

@BassMan: im on the side of gamers in this one, i support your comment that a proper vr kit with headset quality, tracking and ease of use should be developed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup

@BassMan said:

@mrbojangles25: The setup process for the Index/Vive is ridiculous. It is good if you only use VR in one area, but sucks otherwise. I use my Rift in multiple areas of my home and I also take it with me along with my gaming laptop to other places. If I could forgo the external sensors/stands all together like the Rift S, that would be awesome. Too many compromises with the Rift S though. That is why I never bothered getting one.

That's the reason i'm picking up a Rift S (arriving tomorrow) over the Vive. Watching the youtube videos minimal fuss setting it up and the built in cameras seem to do the job flawlessly.

Much cheaper as well, got mine (used) for £320 being £399 new, as opposed to £900+ Valve want for Index.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BassMan

@uninspiredcup: Rift S is pretty good overall and does not require a huge investment for this gen of VR. I am waiting for more of a total package with quality and ease of use for my next VR kit.

BTW, Boneworks just released....

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By uninspiredcup

@BassMan said:

@uninspiredcup: Rift S is pretty good overall and does not require a huge investment for this gen of VR. I am waiting for more of a total package with quality and ease of use for my next VR kit.

BTW, Boneworks just released....

Loading Video...

Def be picking that up and that Rocky game. Purely on the basis it's Rocky.

This game (technically a mod) looks fantastic, apparently its a full replica as well.

Loading Video...

Will at least be better than Duke Nukem Forever.