Almost done with my PC, just need to decide if im going with AMD or Intel

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jennycakes215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jennycakes215
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

I know intel has more potential but AMD has so much value. Also, I checked on PassMark and the AMD FX-8350 actually has a higher CPU mark than Intel's i5 and a ton of i7. Of course I am a PC noob so most of this stuff might not matter. Please feel free to explain everything like I am a child :P

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

You can't go wrong with either. The general agreement around here is that AMD is good for gaming, but intel does it just a little bit better. The difference isn't all that huge, though. 

EDIT: Also, if you go intel, go for the i5. Hyperthreading is not needed for gaming and it's cheaper. If you want the rig now, get the 3570k, if you can wait, get the haswell (if I remember this name right) chip coming out this summer.  I can't make that many recommendations for AMD as I haven't done tons of research on them.

jennycakes215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jennycakes215

You can't go wrong with either. The general agreement around here is that AMD is good for gaming, but intel does it just a little bit better. The difference isn't all that huge, though. 

soolkiki
If I do choose AMD, should I go for the 4 core or the 8 core? My friend told me that 8 core aren't really used much but as i learned from my time building this thing, the internet knows more :D
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 soolkiki

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

jennycakes215

If I do choose AMD, should I go for the 4 core or the 8 core? My friend told me that 8 core aren't really used much but as i learned from my time building this thing, the internet knows more :D

4 cores is what is generally used. Games like Crysis 3 are starting to use more cores, but that is rare. the i5 is quad and it runs thinks like a champ. :) Most of your performance will rely on your GPU. What are your specs now anyway?

jennycakes215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jennycakes215

[QUOTE="jennycakes215"][QUOTE="soolkiki"]

soolkiki

4 cores is what is generally used. Games like Crysis 3 are starting to use more cores, but that is rare. the i5 is quad and it runs thinks like a champ. :) Most of your performance will rely on your GPU. What are your specs now anyway?

I bought a HD Radeon 7970, 8GB GDDR3 of Ram, a 1TB HDD, and I'm choosing the Motherboard and processor right now. should I go for 8 core to be more future proof since I'm saving money not buying intel?
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soolkiki

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

[QUOTE="jennycakes215"]If I do choose AMD, should I go for the 4 core or the 8 core? My friend told me that 8 core aren't really used much but as i learned from my time building this thing, the internet knows more :Djennycakes215

I bought a HD Radeon 7970, 8GB GDDR3 of Ram, a 1TB HDD, and I'm choosing the Motherboard and processor right now. should I go for 8 core to be more future proof since I'm saving money not buying intel?

Nice!! That's a solid build! What about your Power supply? You don't want to skimp on that.   And if you've got the cash, go for the 8 cores. While not necessary, it won't hurt anything and will help it last a few more years. :)

jennycakes215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jennycakes215

[QUOTE="jennycakes215"][QUOTE="soolkiki"]4 cores is what is generally used. Games like Crysis 3 are starting to use more cores, but that is rare. the i5 is quad and it runs thinks like a champ. :) Most of your performance will rely on your GPU. What are your specs now anyway?

soolkiki

Nice!! That's a solid build! What about your Power supply? You don't want to skimp on that.   And if you've got the cash, go for the 8 cores. While not necessary, it won't hurt anything and will help it last a few more years. :)

My friend is giving me a 700 Watt power supply. I don't know the brand. Does it matter?
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts
[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

[QUOTE="jennycakes215"]I bought a HD Radeon 7970, 8GB GDDR3 of Ram, a 1TB HDD, and I'm choosing the Motherboard and processor right now. should I go for 8 core to be more future proof since I'm saving money not buying intel?jennycakes215

My friend is giving me a 700 Watt power supply. I don't know the brand. Does it matter?

You should find out the brand and or specs of it also the age too.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I have the FX-8350 and it does fantastic at games, but it smokes my friends 3570k in everything non-gaming.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

I have the FX-8350 and it does fantastic at games, but it smokes my friends 3570k in everything non-gaming.

GummiRaccoon
I think when the next set of consoles that come out sporting those 8 core cpu's these current 8 core cpu's will shine with multiplat games.
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soolkiki

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

[QUOTE="jennycakes215"]I bought a HD Radeon 7970, 8GB GDDR3 of Ram, a 1TB HDD, and I'm choosing the Motherboard and processor right now. should I go for 8 core to be more future proof since I'm saving money not buying intel?jennycakes215

Yeah, find out how old, and what brand it is. That is the one thing you don't want to fail, because it can take the whole computer with it if it does. 

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I would say go for the eight core, since we're on the cusp of a new round of consoles which appear to have processors with 4 or more cores it is very likely we will start to see games and engines taking advantage of them (finally).
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Another vote for an 8 core.
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I have an 8 core and id rather have a 2600k

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

I'm actually about to upgrade my FX 4100 to a FX 8350. With the next gen console's specs being revealed, 8 core is definitely the future.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

amd is great and you can save some money.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Look at Tom's CPU Performance Charts: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/benchmarks,140.html

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

Look at Tom's CPU Performance Charts: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/benchmarks,140.html

Blistrax

acepro71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 acepro71
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
maybe u should look at these videos 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIVGwj1_Qno
acepro71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 acepro71
[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

go for the 8 core and if ur only gonna game go for amd i bought an i5 (sandy bridge) and fx 8350 both runs great i do a-lot of rendering and gaming on both of them and yes 700 W is fine no matter what gpu hook up im running 7870 ghz edition with 500 W
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
I think you are definitely going to want a CPU with more than 4 threads, more and more game engines are going to start using 8 or more threads now because of next gen consoles.
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

osirisx3

Right. This editor breaks the link. Cut and paste the whole thing into the address bar.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
Get both. :)
jennycakes215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jennycakes215

Thank you everyone for your help. I already ordered the 8 core :D 

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soolkiki

jennycakes215

:D Enjoy it!

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

jennycakes215
Another good reason for AMD is because you will be able to upgrade the CPU in 2-3 years without having to upgrade the mobo. Intels "tick tock" strategy is annoying
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

[edit]

gratz! i think you made the right choice.

:)

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="jennycakes215"]

GioVela2010
Another good reason for AMD is because you will be able to upgrade the CPU in 2-3 years without having to upgrade the mobo. Intels "tick tock" strategy is annoying

Motherboards supporting future chips isn't as enticing as it sounds when there's nothing worth upgrading to. AMD's per core performance hasn't changed much since '09, with their only improvement being more cores (which may be beneficial now that next gen console/s are using 8 core chips).
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="jennycakes215"]

C_Rule

Motherboards supporting future chips isn't as enticing as it sounds when there's nothing worth upgrading to. AMD's per core performance hasn't changed much since '09, with their only improvement being more cores (which may be beneficial now that next gen console/s are using 8 core chips).

More hyperbole from an australian, what a shocker.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"] Another good reason for AMD is because you will be able to upgrade the CPU in 2-3 years without having to upgrade the mobo. Intels "tick tock" strategy is annoying GummiRaccoon

Another pointless post from one of our resident trolls, what a shocker.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"] Motherboards supporting future chips isn't as enticing as it sounds when there's nothing worth upgrading to. AMD's per core performance hasn't changed much since '09, with their only improvement being more cores (which may be beneficial now that next gen console/s are using 8 core chips).C_Rule

I'm not trolling, extreme exageration seems to be a common trait among australians.

Is every movie you watch "The best movie ever" or "The worst movie ever"?

Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maverick6575
Member since 2012 • 230 Posts
[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

jennycakes215

I helped a friend of mine build a gaming desktop with an 8 core. That thing is freaking ridiculous. And for such a great price, go for the 8 core. Even as 8 cores will become more common, you can overclock it to 8.12GHz. If you get an 8 core, you won't need to upgrade it for years.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Maverick6575

I helped a friend of mine build a gaming desktop with an 8 core. That thing is freaking ridiculous. And for such a great price, go for the 8 core. Even as 8 cores will become more common, you can overclock it to 8.12GHz. If you get an 8 core, you won't need to upgrade it for years.

wat...
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 soolkiki

Maverick6575

If you clocked your cpu that high, it would burn through the case and into the floor. That's wrong on so many levels.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16515 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

I'm not trolling, extreme exageration seems to be a common trait among australians.

LOL, aside from the fact that the AMD cpus generally suck, im surprised people are recommending it when they were recommending intel for the past who knows how long.  But when the new consoles come out, AMD should definitely perform better in games.  Right now its not like their cpus are unusable or anything,for the most part they're fine but when using a cpu intensive game like starcraft 2 is when you will see the difference between intel and AMD.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"] Another pointless post from one of our resident trolls, what a shocker.blaznwiipspman1

LOL, aside from the fact that the AMD cpus generally suck, im surprised people are recommending it when they were recommending intel for the past who knows how long.  But when the new consoles come out, AMD should definitely perform better in games.  Right now its not like their cpus are unusable or anything,for the most part they're fine but when using a cpu intensive game like starcraft 2 is when you will see the difference between intel and AMD.

Starcraft 2 isn't "CPU intensive" there is a bug they discovered during WoL beta with quad core support and they didn't fix the bug but just got rid of the support.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"] Another pointless post from one of our resident trolls, what a shocker.blaznwiipspman1

WoL is a poorly coded game that only takes advantage of 2 cores (vs. Supreme Commander that was able to fully utilize quadcores and came out earlier).

This reminds me of the whole E8400 vs. Q6600 debate back in 08, EVERYONE said oh games only use 2 cores the E8400 is a much better value (since it was a bit cheaper, had better per core performance, and clocked higher. Fastforward to 2011-2012 and games like Battlefield 3 kicking the crap out of dual cores but the quad core Q6600 still hanging in there for atleast Haswell, one whole generation later.
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blaznwiipspman1

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Starcraft 2 isn't "CPU intensive" there is a bug they discovered during WoL beta with quad core support and they didn't fix the bug but just got rid of the support.

whatever the reason, the fact remains that starcraft 2 and other RTS games perform better, much better (the difference between playable and unplayable) on intel cpus than AMD cpus

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

blaznwiipspman1

whatever the reason, the fact remains that starcraft 2 and other RTS games perform better, much better (the difference between playable and unplayable) on intel cpus than AMD cpus

Except there is never any point on my 8350 that SC2 is unplayable.  So I don't see how you can make that claim.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blaznwiipspman1

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Except there is never any point on my 8350 that SC2 is unplayable.  So I don't see how you can make that claim.

well I owned a phenom II 955 BE at one point and starcraft 2 to me was unplayable in 3v3 and 4v4 maps.  Constant 40fps, and dips ranging from 15-25 fps when the action got too heavy.  A phenom II 955 is pretty much the same as an fx- 8350 clock for clock.  A core i5 750, 2500k and 3770k are much better.  I have yet to see my 3770k dip below 30fps in sc2.  I don't think its dipped below 35 either, I will have to check.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

blaznwiipspman1

well I owned a phenom II 955 BE at one point and starcraft 2 to me was unplayable in 3v3 and 4v4 maps.  Constant 40fps, and dips ranging from 15-25 fps when the action got too heavy.  A phenom II 955 is pretty much the same as an fx- 8350 clock for clock.  A core i5 750, 2500k and 3770k are much better.  I have yet to see my 3770k dip below 30fps in sc2.  I don't think its dipped below 35 either, I will have to check.

Having gone from a 4 Ghz 955 to a 4Ghz 8350 I can tell you this is incorrect.

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

I built a PC last fall.

Did a survey and intel was better all around.

AMD wasn't able to keep up with the efficiency per core, so instead they just did the brute-force method of packing more cores on a chip.

Only problem with that is it results in lots of power draw and heat. 

You don't need 8 cores anyways unless you're doing complex scientific calculations. I'd bet that you'd run into hard disk issues before you jammed up a 2 or 4 core CPU.

So even a low-end core i3 was out-performing like the mid-range highish ended AMD FX 8-core CPU's. It also consumed like half the power and produced much less heat.

Pretty much a no-brainer. Intel is better than AMD by a significant margin. 

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 soolkiki

I built a PC last fall.

AMD wasn't able to keep up with the efficiency per core, so instead they just did the brute-force method of packing more cores on a chip.

You don't need 8 cores anyways unless you're doing complex scientific calculations. I'd bet that you'd run into hard disk issues before you jammed up a 2 or 4 core CPU.

So even a low-end core i3 was out-performing like the mid-range highish ended AMD FX 8-core CPU's. It also consumed like half the power and produced much less heat.

taiwwa

That's relative. 

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GummiRaccoon

I built a PC last fall.

taiwwa

You literally peppered your post with evidence that you have no clue what you are talking about and then made a claim like you are some expert or something.

monstermaham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 monstermaham
Just go AMD processor it will brings u 256 MB graphic card with it so you can can have a perfect graphics in win7 os
taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 taiwwa

[QUOTE="taiwwa"]

I built a PC last fall.

GummiRaccoon

You literally peppered your post with evidence that you have no clue what you are talking about and then made a claim like you are some expert or something.

Woah, are you angry about their low share price or something?

It's been a while. I don't keep up with this stuff all the time if I don't need to. But...this article was one I relied on

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-2100-gaming-benchmark,3136-9.html

showed the core i3 outperforming the fx4100 by around 15% in Starcraft 2. Also, the fx4100's power draw is 95w while the sandy i3 is 65w. And...AMD motherboards were on a whole more expensive when I last shopped. 

The only game that benefits from more than 2 cores was GTA4, and that was because it was optimized on an xbox 360 which has 3 cores. 

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="taiwwa"]

I built a PC last fall.

taiwwa

It's been a while. I don't keep up with this stuff all the time if I don't need to. But...this article was one I relied on

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-2100-gaming-benchmark,3136-9.html

showed the core i3 outperforming the fx4100 by around 15% in Starcraft 2. Also, the fx4100's power draw is 95w while the sandy i3 is 65w. And...AMD motherboards were on a whole more expensive when I last shopped. 

The only game that benefits from more than 2 cores was GTA4, and that was because it was optimized on an xbox 360 which has 3 cores. 

Can we all just agree that you have no clue what you are talking about?  Reading one article from one of the worst review sites on the net does not make you an expert.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 soolkiki

[QUOTE="taiwwa"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Can we all just agree that you have no clue what you are talking about?  Reading one article from one of the worst review sites on the net does not make you an expert.

Yes.

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 taiwwa

The only time I'd recommend AMD CPU's would be if you wanted to do like some water-cooled ITX build with an overclocked AMD Trinity Fusion chip, and the case didn't have room for a video card. 

Even then, the AMD APU's don't make much sense because you can get similar performance just by getting like a dual core Intel celeron G-series and a discrete card for less heat and power.