ALIENWARE HORROR STORIES - Are they true?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for looseyourself87
looseyourself87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 looseyourself87
Member since 2004 • 307 Posts
Hi guys I don't know whether this is the right place for the topic but here goes. I ordered my ALIENWARE M17X with custom specs around 5 days ago (i'm in uk). I went on searching online about user experiences (you can understand my excitement and impatience lol) and I found like thousands of horror stories about faulty machines and lack of customer support. I'm kind of worried because obviously there's a lot of money involved. Now some users again defend Alienware saying that the neigh-sayers are just haters. I guess a lot of gamespot users own alienware machines. Can you guys please give me an idea about what I should actually expect? Thanks
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
Just know that you over paid. Motokid6
By a lot.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Any brand could have faulty units, I doubt Alienvare is anymore faulty then others.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Hi guys I don't know whether this is the right place for the topic but here goes. I ordered my ALIENWARE M17X with custom specs around 5 days ago (i'm in uk). I went on searching online about user experiences (you can understand my excitement and impatience lol) and I found like thousands of horror stories about faulty machines and lack of customer support. I'm kind of worried because obviously there's a lot of money involved. Now some users again defend Alienware saying that the neigh-sayers are just haters. I guess a lot of gamespot users own alienware machines. Can you guys please give me an idea about what I should actually expect? Thanks looseyourself87

Thats the worst assumption anyone can make and its so wrong, if anything GS people DONT own alienware.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

I had 3 M17x that were either DOA or were slower then a 6 year old laptop

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Well, I'm not sure if it's true but I heard that once Dell took them over, the quality and reliability of Alienware products were weakened. They are also overpriced.

You should have built a PC yourself.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Alienware is fine. Enjoy your new system, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. i don't own an alienware, but all prebuilt systems are more expensive than if you build it yourself.. of course, they have to order the parts, build the machine and ship it to you.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Well, you just lost yourself quite a bit of money. Would have been cheaper to build it yourself.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Well, you just lost yourself quite a bit of money. Would have been cheaper to build it yourself.

airshocker

Lets see you build a laptop.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

airshocker

Build a laptop? 

Since Dell bought Alienware almost 10 years ago, I have heard that quality has suffered some and if they no longer have good customer service, again, Dell.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
i owned an m14x before...it was actually a pretty well built machine...never had any problems with it. you'll be happy with it and yes there a lot of alienware haters out there including this forum
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
It is so scary considering dell will probably replace a faulty product (if you bought it new), I am sure they do it all the time.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

WhiteKnight77

Build a laptop? 

Since Dell bought Alienware almost 10 years ago, I have heard that quality has suffered some and if they no longer have good customer service, again, Dell.

M17x = 17" laptop

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
well, alienware is bad for many reasons... however, technical equipment is going to have failures... and when a company sells a lot to a big market then the complaints are obviously going to pile up. i can't speak to the quality of customer service though. i wouldn't worry to much about it
toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

Would anyone recommend me to ask for one for a graduation gift?

My sister is getting a good computer (she wants a Mac - I know), so I figured I'll get an expensive gift too. I want an Alienware but would I be better off with a different company game computer?

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

Everytime you buy a new computer or put one together there are going to be defective parts that crap out a couple of days or months in. Last week I built my new computer from scratch and my graphics card crapped out on day two, I sent it back and my new one should get here on monday 

Alienware's are fine for people with the money to throw around and whom don't want to deal with building one themselves, but as with any computer there is a chance that a part can go bad no matter who builds it, as long as alienware honors the warranty you would be fine with them.  

Laythrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Laythrom
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts
Although I am not a big fan of Dell, I ended up buying a M18x R2. Personally, I think that a lot of companies [aside from Boxx Technologies] lack on tech/customer support, but that's just my opinion. I haven't had any issues with mine and do like it much better than my older Gateway. Did I over pay for it? Yeah I did, but it was still cheaper than a Mac Book Pro and honestly I'm not a fan of Mac anyway.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

You'll be happy with it, every company out there has their horror stories to go with them i guess. People (like myself) don't like Alienware because they are far too expensive and you can build your own custom PC for much less and still be ahead of the Alienware.

One thing i do like on the Alienware's are the case, they look nice lol. Hope you enjoy it when it comes and happy gaming.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

[QUOTE="Motokid6"] Just know that you over paid. Nick3306
By a lot.

not as bad as a mac, though.

on that note, go look up Dell.  That is who owns Alienware, and who is likely responsible for building and supporting your PC.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

how much was it?

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

how much was it?

lostrib
Cheapest I could find it is for $1,400. It has an i7 @ 2.3 ghz, 8GB RAM, Geforce 660M... Meh. You could get an Asus for the same price that has a 3GB 670M and 12GB of RAM. :P
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

how much was it?

Mcspanky37

Cheapest I could find it is for $1,400. It has an i7 @ 2.3 ghz, 8GB RAM, Geforce 660M... Meh. You could get an Asus for the same price that has a 3GB 670M and 12GB of RAM. :P

might as well spend like 800-1000 on a desktop and the rest on a regular laptop

Siberrupong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Siberrupong
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
not really
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Probably no more than any other laptop company. Alienware computers are awesome though. 

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
A large chunk of your money is spent a custom alienware case. Thats probably partly the reason they're so over priced compared to build-your-own machine.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Think it depends on where you are in the world. The horrorstories of when Dell bought them, seem to have some weight in some countries, mind you that was around the time when the takeover had just taken place, overall it seems the quality got up again after a while, and over here (northern Europe) it was pretty much what they always were.

They can be on the steep side, but that is all the negative I can give them, and on laptops I can give little complaints for that either (prefer the Asus gamer lappys over the alienware ones, but that is strickly a matter of taste, nothing else)

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

oh how y gonna miss built up your pc puting every screw in it !!! its really awesome to build one , true indication of how you Love your PC and how much you spent time in it !!!!!!

built like 4 PC's and everytime i enjoy it the max !!!!!!!!!!! 

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It's funny how people get as far as the word Alienware and they just stop reading. As mentioned, the M17x is a laptop so all the "duuuuuh, just build it yourself" comments don't really apply. While there are a few "open platform" laptop options, I haven't been too impressed with any of them in terms of form factor and overall build quality.

To the TC's question, the general consensus is that the overall quality of Alienware products has decreased since Dell bought them. Still, if you're going for laptops they are a pretty decent (if pricey) option. I bought an M17x several years ago. It was a great laptop for me for a few years and before the warranty ran out one of the video cards started overheating. Dell replaced it for free, and since the R1 was out of production at that point they upgraded me to an R2. Overall, their in-warranty support has been pretty decent in my experience. Their build quality is also pretty good for the R1 and R2 models. I haven't personally used an R3 or later so I can't comment on those directly.

-Byshop

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

There are better options for the money.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I don't own a Dell or Alienware but through my work I found Dell support to be quite helpful. Always managed to get part etc reasonably quickly.

Like many have said Alienware is over priced though but if you want to show off factor (with peeps who don't know better) then it'll certainly gain attention.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
Dell has one thing that build your owns will never have. WARRANTY ! Sure you can send your ram or video card back to Newegg or wherever....and wait for a couple of weeks. Or you can have the broken part shipped over night for free by Dell. But they are a little overpriced...but if you don't want (or care to ) build your own and have the satisfaction and comfort of knowing if anything goes wrong...Dell will fix it. I don't know much about their laptops though...just desktops. You could do way worse then Dell though....Alienware. Don't ask about Dell here...read real reviews from real tech reviewers.
Nickprovs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Nickprovs
Member since 2008 • 1199 Posts

I bought an Alienware M17x R3 because I traveled a lot. It worked fine for two years before I sold it, I'm sure it's still working now. Whenever I was home I used a laptop cooler with it just in case. I thought it was a great device. 

I did however once spill a bit of drink on the keyboard. All the keys were fine except for the space bar that got really **** up and no matter what I tried doing it kept stick. Eventually I popped the key off to clean it and kept popping it off hear and there to try and fix it myself. I broke the hinge. I called up customer service and totally lied and said the hinge broke from normal use. The keys weren't really sticky anymore and the guy sent over a technician like two days later to replace the keyboard. So all in all, I had a pretty good experience, however unless you travel I would just build a desktop as it's not that hard if you watch some videos.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Dell has one thing that build your owns will never have. WARRANTY ! Sure you can send your ram or video card back to Newegg or wherever....and wait for a couple of weeks. Or you can have the broken part shipped over night for free by Dell. But they are a little overpriced...but if you don't want (or care to ) build your own and have the satisfaction and comfort of knowing if anything goes wrong...Dell will fix it. I don't know much about their laptops though...just desktops. You could do way worse then Dell though....Alienware. Don't ask about Dell here...read real reviews from real tech reviewers.OgreB

You're saying this as if Dell has "infinite" warranty. You meant to say it's more convenient because you don't have to deal with separate warranties for each component if you build your own PC. Which in actuality, isn't very inconvenient.

Most parts if you build your own has pretty good, lengthy warranties. For example, Corsair power supply units depending on the series are 5 or 7 years respectively. EVGA GPUs have a 3-year warranty. No offense, but you made it sound like building your own PC with newly purchased components do not come with warranty.

I purchased my CPU and Motherboard from Fry's and I received a bonus extended 3 yr warranty for each product, free.  Sometimes you can run into really great deals.

Avatar image for looseyourself87
looseyourself87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 looseyourself87
Member since 2004 • 307 Posts
Thanks all. I have a pretty decent idea now of what to expect. Waiting for delivery now!
Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#36 FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

Hi guys I don't know whether this is the right place for the topic but here goes. I ordered my ALIENWARE M17X with custom specs around 5 days ago (i'm in uk). I went on searching online about user experiences (you can understand my excitement and impatience lol) and I found like thousands of horror stories about faulty machines and lack of customer support. I'm kind of worried because obviously there's a lot of money involved. Now some users again defend Alienware saying that the neigh-sayers are just haters. I guess a lot of gamespot users own alienware machines. Can you guys please give me an idea about what I should actually expect? Thanks looseyourself87

I have had mine since the last week of November. Honestly, my favorite computer that I have ever owned. I purchased a medium stock, M14x. It plays all the games as well as one would hope, great for College and fun to show off to friends. I have not had a single problem with it. It gets loud, but all gaming computers do and I take great care of mine (cleaning screen, blowing air out, cleaning keyboards, etc). 

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Laptops are not designed well for serious gaming, they lack power, they overheat when they're used with powerful GPUs and they're overpriced. But there's nothing wrong with Alienware Laptops, they're just expensive.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#38 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Not only is building it yourself cheaper, but you can hand pick every component. I haven't bought a PC (other than laptop) since 1995.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I have a m11x netbook, they don't make them that small anymore I think. I liked it.

Though hah Alienware :lol: :lol: the price/performance ratio gets ridiculous as you pay more for it. I am also not a fan of big bulky models since I plug them into tv and monitors anyway, lets say I go to friends house than I can plug it in thus negating the screen size.

Than again I am not a big fan of having an expensive laptop since it becomes out of date quickly due to the lack of ability to upgrade.

csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

Im currently using an M14x with custom specs and I have had no issues with it so far. Had it for about 3 years now and I LOVE it. :) Enjoy the laptop

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

I will never buy a desktop Alienware PC ever again. 

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Byshop  Moderator

Not only is building it yourself cheaper, but you can hand pick every component. I haven't bought a PC (other than laptop) since 1995.

vfibsux

And seeing as how this whole thread is about laptops, what exactly is your point?

-Byshop

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
Im currently using a Aurora R4 which i had for exactly a year now and well it has broken at least 20 times in the past year, i have had to re install the OS about 17 times so far. the wi-fi and bluetooth card have been replaced twice, the GPU has been replaced once, the motherboard has been replaced once, and the psu has been replaced once. BUT.... the rumors about the support being crap is total bull every time I have had a issue with the system they have offered to send a technician and fix the problem for me, just make sure your warranty doesn't expire or you will have to pay for the parts (because so far all the replacement parts have been free). I have had 1 problem with the repair man in the past however, he didn't attach the liquid cooling to the CPU properly but you wont have a problem with that since you're using a laptop. hope that helped?
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

Byshop

And seeing as how this whole thread is about laptops, what exactly is your point?

-Byshop

Oh, I see.......you're one of those.

My point, sir (sarcastic respect), is not only is building it yourself cheaper, but you can hand pick every component. But who am I kidding? You didn't even get it the first time.

Number one, sir (very sarcastic), the op did not state laptop and I will be damned if I am going to research the model he bought to post on a message forum.

Number two, I am not the only one here who is talking about desktops, yet you chose to come all the way down this thread and pick on my post.

Number three, reporting your post as a thread disruption, because you came in here to start **** with me instead of contributing to the thread.

Number four, you don't have to sign your posts, we know you posted it. Duh.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

If you insist on a laptop intead of a pc, why not just get a low to medium priced one at say $1000 to $1500?

Because if you look at the specs, there is often not that much difference in terms of power compared the some the "gaming laptops".

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

how much was it?

Mcspanky37

Ouch.  My Asus is the same exact thing except with a 650 instead of the 660.  It was $800

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Byshop  Moderator

My point, sir (sarcastic respect), is not only is building it yourself cheaper, but you can hand pick every component. But who am I kidding? You didn't even get it the first time.

Number one, sir (very sarcastic), the op did not state laptop and I will be damned if I am going to research the model he bought to post on a message forum.

Number two, I am not the only one here who is talking about desktops, yet you chose to come all the way down this thread and pick on my post.

Number three, reporting your post as a thread disruption, because you came in here to start **** with me instead of contributing to the thread.

vfibsux

Any my point is, you're just -another- one of the dipsh!ts who posted in the thread without bothering to read it (and realize that we aren't talking about desktops). The reason I call this out is because it's annoying as hell when people jump into the discussion to share their two cents without bothering to read what the TC or anyone else has already written.

But hey, it's completely up to you whether you want to come off sounding like an idiot or not.

-Byshop

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

vfibsux

-Byshop

So you're angry with him because he pointed out that your post had nothing to do with the thread..? Then you report him for disruption? Right....
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

Byshop

Any my point is, you're just -another- one of the dipsh!ts who posted in the thread without bothering to read it (and realize that we aren't talking about desktops). The reason I call this out is because it's annoying as hell when people jump into the discussion to share their two cents without bothering to read what the TC or anyone else has already written.

But hey, it's completely up to you whether you want to come off sounding like an idiot or not.

-Byshop

And again genius, plenty of people before me mentioned desktops, yet you came all the way down here and picked on my post. Why is that? Perhaps because YOU did not read the entire thread? I saw convo about desktops and laptops, I added my 2 cents. Did my opinion really chap your panties that bad that you had to go here? Get over it dude.

As for you others defending this clown, bite me. You are why this community has turned to utter **** the past couple years. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lostrib

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

vfibsux

-Byshop

^thread disruption, better report