Age of Empires Online Beta

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drkessence
Member since 2006 • 237 Posts

Just curious to see if anyone else here managed to get into the AoEO beta and what your opinions are of it. I'll reserve my opinion for now until I put together a video review on my site, but I'm curious to see how things are going for everyone else.

gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

Wow I haven't played one those in a long time since the first one windows 98 I thinks. Greeks vs the Egyptians Interesting needs more civilizations Imo but that's why is in beta still.

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 drkessence

Wow I haven't played one those in a long time since the first one windows 98 I thinks. Greeks vs the Egyptians Interesting needs more civilizations Imo but that's why is in beta still.

gt350tsc

Right now the beta only lets you play as Greeks. Looking at the faction selection menu, though, it appears there will definitely be more than just those two factions.

bflexholla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bflexholla
Member since 2011 • 44 Posts

game is great, it's the same aoe formula but with a load of persistent elements - it's polished for being in closed beta too

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 drkessence

game is great, it's the same aoe formula but with a load of persistent elements - it's polished for being in closed beta too

bflexholla

I'd have to say that my biggest complaint is that it still feels more like a regular AoE game rather than an MMO. I wish you built your city right along side other players instead of in your own area. Your only interaction with other players is in the chat or if you invite someone to do a group quest or pvp. Other than that you never see another player. That was one of my complaints with Dynasty Warriors Online. It just felt too much like an interactive pre-game lobby. Both are still fun, but not exactly what you really would expect or want when the games carry the "MMO" title.

_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 _Ninja
Member since 2004 • 1193 Posts

I got into the beta but, i just couldn't play it. For some reason the graphics were to offputting and i altogether just stopped playing. Although i think it has alot of potential and i like the idea of a rpg/rts game.

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drkessence

I got into the beta but, i just couldn't play it. For some reason the graphics were to offputting and i altogether just stopped playing. Although i think it has alot of potential and i like the idea of a rpg/rts game.

_Ninja

Yeah, the cartoony graphics were a bit disappointing, but I think it helps the feel that they were going for for the game.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts
I wasn't able to get in
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

I only have about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of game time so far; BUT...I like it..for a BETA the game is polished and plays great the cartoon'ish graphics took me some time to adjust to but you get over it..I think i will continue to play after the Beta..

JJGT500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JJGT500
Member since 2011 • 217 Posts

I got into the beta. I can't go into many details but I will say that it's quite a bit different than the original AOE games and not better.

w00tcolors169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 w00tcolors169
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

A friend of mine got in and has been playing it quite a bit. He said he doesn't like it as much as the earlier games in the series, mainly due to the cartoonish graphics, but that it is still a great game with a tried and true formula.

Not much breaking information there but better than nothing :P

drkessence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drkessence

I only have about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of game time so far; BUT...I like it..for a BETA the game is polished and plays great the cartoon'ish graphics took me some time to adjust to but you get over it..I think i will continue to play after the Beta..

lge777

I'll continue playing assuming they don't decide to charge a fee. I'm going to assume that it'll just have micro-transations or something.

The game is fun, but I wouldn't pay a subscription fee to play it. I'm hoping MS realizes that that'd be a bad idea. As is, Gods & Heroes is wanting to charge a subscription fee when it goes public, but, after playing the beta, I don't think I'd continue playing it even if they decided to go back to F2P.....G&H just isn't a very fun game :/

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

I'm in, as a long time AOE fan I actually think it's awesome! Goes back to the AOE 1 and 2 formula though it's definetly lacking in units atm. The game is f2p, money would be used to purchase items in game as well as upgraded versions of the factions. The upgraded faction let's you use advisors (you can test them out once you hit level 10 or so, in the beta everyone is premium) as well as some other perks that I'm not sure of off memory. The NDA or whatever got lifted not too long ago so the actual site is bursting with info.

Pretty much the main two problems to get over are the graphics and balance. Definetly a day one download and possibly the first f2p game I'll spend money on.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I'm in, as a long time AOE fan I actually think it's awesome! Goes back to the AOE 1 and 2 formula though it's definetly lacking in units atm. The game is f2p, money would be used to purchase items in game as well as upgraded versions of the factions. The upgraded faction let's you use advisors (you can test them out once you hit level 10 or so, in the beta everyone is premium) as well as some other perks that I'm not sure of off memory. The NDA or whatever got lifted not too long ago so the actual site is bursting with info.

Pretty much the main two problems to get over are the graphics and balance. Definetly a day one download and possibly the first f2p game I'll spend money on.

timma25

Isn't it just 20 dollars and you unlock everything at that time and everything to come

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

I hated it and the game is being developed by another team now. It's sad to see Ensemble Studios, now Robot Ent. doing a lame dungeon game instead of a brand new AoE.