Age of Empires II HD Out Now for Those Who Preordered - How is it!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Apparently there were 10,000+ players playing the game today so I wanted to see what opinions were. :D

AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AfroPirate
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

Was doing a 1v1 with my friend and it was crazy laggy might have been his ISP. Also when I tried to do a multiplayer match game crashed at loading screen.

Single player works fine :) I think the game is quite buggy though I hope they resolve some issues.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Haven't tried online, yet.

Most of the textures are the same, some have had minor changed. 

Here's a couple of screens I quickly took to compare, I can grab some more.

EDIT: Not sure how to fix squashed image, open them in new tabs.

Original (with 1080p patch):
age2_x12013-04-0611-29-46-51_zps2d4d3818

Re-release:
AoKHD2013-04-0611-32-53-44_zpsd4b66fa8.p

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 C_Rule

Changed the farm texture for some reason. Made it look too cartoony, would rather they change it back.

Old:

age2_x12013-04-0611-48-20-63_zps78479657

New:

AoKHD2013-04-0611-49-38-66_zps5e5e9d52.p

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
You guys having fun? I may pick this up when it goes on sale down the line.
Reanemeiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Reanemeiko
Member since 2013 • 53 Posts
I will read more about this and If I still have time to play that I will try it :)
AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AfroPirate
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

has a bad netcode apperently.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 C_Rule

AfroPirate
Just tried a multiplayer game with two mates. I was hosting the game on my machine and before anyone had even made any units, I was getting ~30 fps and everyone's units were stuttering. Don't have this problem in the original game with GameRanger.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gamesterpheonix
[QUOTE="AfroPirate"]

C_Rule
Just tried a multiplayer game with two mates. I was hosting the game on my machine and before anyone had even made any units, I was getting ~30 fps and everyone's units were stuttering. Don't have this problem in the original game with GameRanger.

lol they had ONE job... But really - its a retexture and a revamp of an already existing multiplayer...why screw it up? Especially with a relaunch...
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Why making a HD Edition of something where beautiful graphics is the least important part of the game at all o_O

If I feel the need to play it I just grab my old CD and play it, no matter that it is not in HD.

manocanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 manocanada
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

It's still the same but in HD. Water, cliff sides, farms, fire, ground texture are some of the changes that come to mind. I would say you get your moneys wroth for the multiplayer. It was easy to find games and had a fun time playing against other people, with my buddies. And the steam workshop means people will hopefully come up with some great mods. Like somebody said they didn't like the farms look in HD, you can go to the workshop and download the old ones, or in my case the farms from Age of Mythology farms.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Why making a HD Edition of something where beautiful graphics is the least important part of the game at all o_O

If I feel the need to play it I just grab my old CD and play it, no matter that it is not in HD.

Justforvisit
It's more re-releasing it for online play and fixing any compatibility problems with modern hardware/software
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It's running sluggish for me.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

has 213 achievements on Steam, nice. :) Great game, remember the hours I put into it when it was originally released.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

0 A.D. looks better to me.

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gamesterpheonix

0 A.D. looks better to me.

Hexagon_777
Free and Open Source huh? Have you tried it? How do you like it? Any other impressions of AoE II HD everyone?
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Pretty disappointing to hear the performance so far. Definitely not preordering now.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Meh, I'll settle with the original if I will ever be in the mood again, looks to me that it just has some altered trees and HD TM fonts (seriously? you can't even superscript TM without the forum glitching?).

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46512 Posts

Changed the farm texture for some reason. Made it look too cartoony, would rather they change it back.

C_Rule

They don't have to, modders already did. You can find them in the workshop.

What I downloaded from the workshop is the 320kbps 44hz soundtracks because the game's music is in 192 variable kbps. Sounds much better.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Age II still probably my favourite RTS before World in Conflict, but I haven't pre-ordered. Price is a little too high. Waiting for the inevitable Steam sale. Sounds like they should do some optimizing.

Nice to see they added a million Steam achievements though.

andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

Be sure to turn the scroll speed up. It'll help with the illusion of poor performance. Once the lag issues are sorted it'll be AOE 2 HD Internet Edition and that's awesome.

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gamesterpheonix
Some may scream at the sight of this but Ive actually never played the game and thats why Im asking. I would like to put it on my laptop which can run games pretty decently but this laptop also has Windows 8 so if all these other users are having problems - I might have more. Id really like to get it though - at some point - even if its just to play the campaigns. Having a nice low spec multiplayer game would be just as amazing though. Really hope they fix things up with the game.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

kraken2109

It's more re-releasing it for online play and fixing any compatibility problems with modern hardware/software

Well okay makes more sense to me then, but regarding what "HD Collection / Edition" on consoles stands for that name is not the wisest choice then at least in my opinion ^^

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 C_Rule
Hate to say this, but anyone who is thinking about buying this should hold off for a bit. The online is a nightmare, and until it gets fixed, there's no way this re-release with minor changes is worth $18. Being able to simple invite people to your lobby via Steam overlay is very convenient, but once you're actually playing the game, it's laggy as hell. Honestly, resolution patch + GameRanger works much better than AOE2 HD in it's current state (for online play). General performance (single player) seems to be much lower than it should be. In the original game (with resolution patch) my fps is something absurd like 10,000 . In the 'HD' version, I'm not really sure what the max fps is because v-sync is forced on, however, my framerate often drops below 120. On my laptop which is just using HD4000 graphics (or whichever mobile Sandy i5 uses) I get crappy fps of 20-30. I thought this game would be great for my laptop because the original (again, with resolution patch) ran at something like 500+ fps. I don't see how the improved water & fire could cause such a massive reduction in framerate.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gamesterpheonix
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Hate to say this, but anyone who is thinking about buying this should hold off for a bit. The online is a nightmare, and until it gets fixed, there's no way this re-release with minor changes is worth $18. Being able to simple invite people to your lobby via Steam overlay is very convenient, but once you're actually playing the game, it's laggy as hell. Honestly, resolution patch + GameRanger works much better than AOE2 HD in it's current state (for online play). General performance (single player) seems to be much lower than it should be. In the original game (with resolution patch) my fps is something absurd like 10,000 . In the 'HD' version, I'm not really sure what the max fps is because v-sync is forced on, however, my framerate often drops below 120. On my laptop which is just using HD4000 graphics (or whichever mobile Sandy i5 uses) I get crappy fps of 20-30. I thought this game would be great for my laptop because the original (again, with resolution patch) ran at something like 500+ fps. I don't see how the improved water & fire could cause such a massive reduction in framerate.

Well thats pathetic and annoying. Definitely going to wait then - even if I really want a good RTS for my laptop...
lightingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 lightingbird
Member since 2004 • 143 Posts

No offense but this looks horrible.Â